Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Gigi's Challenge] Crazy Gods

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by landon912, Aug 11, 2013.

1. landon912

landon912

Hye all! This is Landon(lanDog) from CoreDev Games. Recently I accepted Gigi's challenge to make and complete a game in 12 weeks. This thread will display my progress along the way. All work here is mine unless stated otherwise.

INFO:

Crazy Gods is stated most easily as a glorified Angry Birds clone. Crazy Gods is about how the gods want to punish the world by having the suns rain down on them.You as the player take control of the suns and shoot them down on the forts that protect characters. There are both single-player and multiplayer PvP battles where both players build a fort to protect their character and then fire suns at the other player. The goal is to both racked up points by destroying blocks and kill the enemy character.

PROGRESS UPDATES:

Day 1 :
    Today I finally dished out the cash for 2D Toolkit. This will be a huge time-saver for me. *spends rest of the day learning my way around 2dtk*

Day 2:
    After a few hours yesterday I have my head around 2dtk; It was really easy to learn the basics of it and it has some great features. I suggest the toolkit to everyone who is interested in making 2D games.

Today I focused on the environment. I started to build a level with some of the art assets from 2dtk. Then I made the blocks react to physics and take damage based on the collision impact and the box's set strength. If the health is less then half of the box's original health the box turns a dark brown to simulate getting burnt.

$Untitled-1.png

Day 2:

Followed a Photoshop tutorial to make a sun character.

$Sun_Final_R.png

Day 3:

Added the character to the game and programmed him to be controlled by the player. It still needs some work though.

[video=youtube;vY0Q5xVYvo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0Q5xVYvo8&feature=youtu.be

PS: The green is the center. Later there will be sun shafts from the middle to the sun, to simulate a slingshot like mechanic.(Think angry birds)

2. Aria-Lliane

Aria-Lliane

The only question that comes to my mind on the first impression is, why is the sun a character, why is it not just a simple object?

3. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Cool. I can't wait to see it in 12 days.

4. landon912

landon912

To be 100% honest it was because it was the best tutorial I could find. I'm no Photoshop wizard.

Thanks! I hope to have the game-play done by then. :)

5. Aria-Lliane

Aria-Lliane

Now i cant understand what my question has to do with Photoshop lol

6. lancer

lancer

What he means is that he has very little texturing experience so he followed a tutorial to make a sun character.

7. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Ha nice! I like the sun guy.

8. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

I'm a few weeks away from a release myself!

Finishing a product is death by 1000 paper-cuts. And no matter how I prepare, there's always a moment where I'm brought to my knees by the sting of so many tasks. For every one I squash, two take its place. All I can do is to keep going, step, squash, step, squash, step.

Nice sun character. Keep at it Landon!

Gigi

9. landon912

landon912

Thanks guys!

I fill you guys in on all the new stuff added soon!

10. landon912

landon912

Update 1:

Day 4:

Implemented a crate explosion animation.

Video:
    [video=youtube;I8slMJ2_kpk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8slMJ2_kpk&feature=youtu.be

Day 5:

Started work on the networking backend.

Day 6:

Work on menus - Login, Main Menu, Multiplayer Options, Level Selection.

Login was implemented using a secure MySQL database with PHP.

[video=youtube;GwRO8VIJufw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwRO8VIJufw&feature=youtu.be

Day 7:

Multiplayer code completed. All existing features function 100% with networking.

Video coming soon; Just need to complete the non-authoritative physics syncing. ;) Right now only the master-client can deliver physics/damage.

SEE BELOW!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  11. Aria-Lliane

Aria-Lliane

Looks awesome, nice work ^^

12. landon912

landon912

Hey guys!

Updates:

Crate Damage Sprite!
    Crate Explosion!
    Mulitplayer!
    Menus!
    And more!

I hope you like the progress on the game, so far its been really fun! My question to you is whether or not I should even work on singe-player; It was never meant to be "the" reason to play the game, multiplayer was always intended to get that role. I'm starting to feel like it would be better to focus my limited resources on that grab feature.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  13. Maklaud

Maklaud

landon91235, I like your art. May I ask you to share the tutorials you used to create the Sun? And also how did you make that explosion? I want to try the same - make an explosion of a particular texture.

Thanks!

14. landon912

landon912

http://vectips.com/tutorials/create-a-happy-sun-character/

Just a warning if your using photoshop like myself, this tutorial is for another program and took a lot of work to get it to look so close(and good ;) ).

I think this is the third or fourth time someone has asked me about the crate explosion, so here you go:

It was very simple:

Make a transparent image about 3-4 times as big as the sprite you want to explode.
    Save it as Frame one.
    Free select(is that the right name?) random outside parts of the sprite and move them away from the original sprite. Save it as the next frame.
    Repeat the above step while resizing the broken peices down the further they are from the middle. If they are small or close to the edge erase them. Save the new picture as the next frame.

Thanks for your kind words about Crazy Gods!

*Not all art was done by myself, however most was latter edited by myself*

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  15. Maklaud

Maklaud

Thanks for the link and the explanation! But...

And here I'm stuck. My knowledge is not enough for that. Is it an animation? I don't know any frames in textures. Could you tell me what to find and read about it? I mean what to create (animation or so) and how to use then.

16. landon912

landon912

Sorry! What I mean is just save it as a picture and name it name_frame1 for sanity's sake. I then take it into Unity with 2D Toolkit and use those "frames"/pictures to make an animation out of them with 2dtk.

17. Maklaud

Maklaud

I see now, thanks a lot! :)

18. landon912

landon912

Just want to stop by and say that I am still working hard on this game; just been busy with freelancing, etc.

Building Blocks are almost done, I'll show you guys that soon!

Version 0.4 coming after bug fixes.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. landon912

landon912

Teaser Update Today:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73187&stc=1

$Screenshot (101).png

Edit: As of today we only have bug fixes left ;) The infamous QA "fun time" has officially begun for the Alpha release.

2nd EDIT: After taking a week break I've come back and fixed all but three bugs. (I've also in the mean time made some really cool stuff I hope to show in a month or so :))

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Good luck it's getting better : D!

21. landon912

landon912

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

Today is finally that day....The Alpha is here.

Wow, this has already been a great journey and it's only half over. I've been working on and off this project for around 4 months. I've gotten sidetracked and have even wanted to throw the towel in and call it a day(or four months), but instead I've stuck threw this until now, and I hope to continue until this is a decent and FUN game.

In all it's glory(and lack thereof);

Crazy Gods- Download (24 mb RAR)

Notes:

The goal of the game is to destroy the other players "fort" of blocks and kill their vampire. You build a "fort" during the first 60 seconds of the match, physics will NOT take place until the PvP begins. During PvP mode you must shoot suns at the oposing play using slingshot-like mechanics. The game ends when one player has lost their vampire.

Controls:
    *Move Camera - Hold RightClick and drag mouse
    *Shoot Sun - LeftClick(During PvP mode)
    *Build Block - LeftClick(During build mode)

If your sun is stuck press Ctrl-R to spawn a new sun.(Use as seldom as possible, currently buggy)

When there is no one to play, you can add me on Skype : landon.kirk1 with a message related to Crazy Gods and I'll join the game.

Tip for beginners: Avoid multiplayer at ALL risks, brain destruction may occur if not avoided.

Try not to suffer much while playing :p,
    Landon Kirk

Screenshots:
    $Screenshot (2).png $Screenshot (9).png $Screenshot (7).png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  22. Theunitycritic

Theunitycritic

Its very childish......I like it!!
    TIP: When taking a screenshot try not to take the entire engine window as well, looks neater. Great job keep it up!!

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Haha, that looks awesome. I'm shocked that I've not seen a multiplayer skew on this type of game before. It's a great idea!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. landon912

landon912

Thanks guys!

25. dxcam1

dxcam1

Great job, love it!

26. thamolas

thamolas

Wow, looks good!

27. landon912

landon912

I do plan to revisit this after my new project is released. I opened it up today and the code base is a disaster in my new-skilled eyes. ;) Gonna have to redo all the code in the hopefully near future.

28. landon912

landon912

Hey guys, I've decided to resurrect this project. I will be salvaging the art, but completely redoing the development of the game. I hope to have a bit more complex mechanics involved and overall a much higher production quality while keeping it in a short cycle.