Search Unity

TK's Parkour - MMORPG style

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by temo_koki, Aug 6, 2013.

1. temo_koki

temo_koki

Update 26.08.13
    Gameplay video to showcase basic features.

[video=youtube_share;SBz_RTHDlLk]http://youtu.be/SBz_RTHDlLk

Link to indiegogo project: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tk-s-parkour/x/4023965

Hi,
    I’m Temo Kokiashvili an indie game developer, working in unity game engine almost 5 years.

I have worked as a freelancer on some game projects, have done several starter kits and I'm lead programmer of "Spate" the game which was winner of IGN show "The Next Game Boss". Now I want to create my dream game, MMORPG style parkour.

The game will be free to play with realistic environment, where you’ll be able to create your own characters, make them tall or small, athletic or fat, dress them as you wish with different style of shirts, trousers, shoes and accessories.

Each player will have their level and it will increase when player wins the challenge, gets new clothes or tricks. Special clothes, accessories and tricks will be able to buy with coins which you exchange in real money or win in challenge. Each cloth will increase some type of abilities. Player will have speed, flexibility, stamina and strength values. High level players will have access to higher level clothes, accessories and tricks.

The winner of challenge will be determined by points. Player will be given different points for different tricks, harder ones will give more points. But main goal will be finishing first, it'll give much more points then any other tricks. The winner will be awarded with coins and his/her level will increase. If player crashes, of course he/she will loose.

Here are basic features which will be implemented definitely, more features will come along, for example you'll be able to exchange coins in training to increase any ability (speed, flexibility, stamina, strength ), team challenge, social network integration etc.

Basic Features:
    • Generate your character with different body parts
    • Manipulate face and body shape
    • Change skin and cloth colors
    • Dress up character with different style of clothes and accessories
    • Buy special clothes, accessories, tricks
    • Interact with other players
    • Challenge in side by side running
    • Crashing system
    Release Date: Q4 2014
    Price: Free
    Platform: PC / Mac / Linux

Please support the project, share it and of course fund it if you can :)

Link to indiegogo project: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tk-s-parkour/x/4023965

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. hawx

hawx

Looks to be shaping up well. Can't wait to see what it turns out to be like.
    Keep it up ,

Hawx
    (P.S. Any more screenshots or small webplayer version available ?)

3. temo_koki

temo_koki

Thanks,
    Will update with new screenshots and gameplay videos, may be even webplayer version too :)
    Keep in touch ;)

4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Your entire pitch makes the project look as if it's not worth $67,000, and quite frankly it isn't. You seem to be managing so far, what do you need money for? Focus on making a better pitch, work on the game some more and when you have a solid demo and it's looking good run a fundraiser. The biggest problem I have with this is the fact that you're like many people who run kickstarters(crowd funding). You ask for funding you don't need, using it as if it's free money. You need to do work, money doesn't just come. I'd say the $5 speaks for itself.

You need to work on it, get everything solidified, then consider crownfunding. I hate to sound like a broken record, repeating myself but it's true. It's a unique project, it has potential but in the state it's in now, needs work. You shouldn't hold a fundraiser at the very start, this looks like 1 day of work at most. Animations can be done in a few hours, less if you use things like Mixamo. I would also like to point out, that Parkour is the process of getting from one point to another, not what you're displaying in the video. This is Free running, of course, depends how you look at it.

5. temo_koki

temo_koki

Yes, such project is worth 67, 000 and much much more, but I'm asking so low amount because I do everything myself and only need to buy motion capture system and hire 3-4 people for modelling scenes, as you guess there will be lots of work to make real places, environments, props etc.

No, I'm not asking extra money, to work on such project Mocap system is "Must Have" and as I already said, without help I won't be able to make this project, my main job is programming, modelling needs much time and work, so for that I need people and the money is needed for that.

And again no, $5 isn't speaking on anything, I just started it :)

Parkour is training discipline where participant moves from point A to B quickly and efficiently past obstacles in their environment, using only their bodies and their surroundings to propel themselves. Parkour can include running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and the like.

Free running was developed as a more inclusive form of the discipline of Parkour.

Both disciplines movements are same, but idea is different, for example if you do flips for passing obstacle that's parkour, but if you do it in open space where is no need to do that and you are making it for self expression that's a free running :D

P.S Thanks for your opinion ;)

6. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I'm telling you, the way it looks now it's not with $67,000. As a collective group of indies(and the odd few that aren't), most members will agree it's far too much. You need to think small scale because let me tell you, It's not going to get funded looking like this with such a high goal.

So you hiring people isn't doing yourself? As for the parkour/free running debate. You seem to be taking your time on that playground, :) If it were parkour, you'd run through quickly, jump over stuff and get to your destination as fast as you can. You can say I'm wrong about both(value and being free running) but I can say, your chances are literally 0 of getting funded.

7. primus88

primus88

I don't think that there is anyone here that is ill intended. That is why I think that Khelton is very right.
    In fact without huge exposure, very good gameplay and art or at least if you aren't a well known name in game development, asking for anything over 10.000$ is pointless in crowdfunding.

What is nice, is that you at least went with a flexible campaign, so you can make some extra cash.
    I, as well, I am thinking to do an Indiegogo campaign as test and ask for 2000 dollars, but I doubt I will make that much.

At it's current state, the game will probably bring you some hundreds of dollars, maybe a maximum of 2000 dollars.
    I wish you good luck and I really hope I'm wrong :)

Also, 2 things :
    1. You have mad gymnast/parkour skills!
    2. The animations are very good and I see no need for even better ones. Seriously ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. order66

order66

Well, I can just agree with the others. Make at least a demo you can show, before you ask for some money. The project you displayed can be done in a few hours. It seems like you only put some simple models in the standard mecanim example provided by Unity. Did you actually do some programming on this?

9. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

I think you are getting us a bit wrong. No one said that the idea isn't worth the money nor that you shouldn't make the game. Quite the opposite actually - afaik there is no parkour MMO, and other parkour games like Mirrors Edge and Vector have done rather well.
    However it is the presentation of your project that doesn't make people want to invest into you:
    You don't have a lot to show - people don't even know if you're capable of making it into a quality product.
    The rewards you offer aren't that interesting that people would instantly want to back your project.
    You don't show what do you need the money for very well.
    And for me the main turnoff was that it is not clear what makes the game fun to play - a MMO needs to have extremely good replay value, if you get bored you won't play anymore, and that's where MMOs die. Sure it is fun to do a couple of jumps and tricks, however I didn't see why the game would continue to be fun - You should state that much more clearly.

10. temo_koki

temo_koki

@KheltonHeadley
    As I already said, so long I'm working alone, but it'll take few years to make everything alone, so I need to hire people, especially for 3d models and environments.
    What about parkour/free running, today they are same, but "Parkour" is more popular name and because I chose it.
    Thanks for your support :)

@primus88
    Thanks for kind words, there are hundreds of parkour movements and tricks which I haven't seen on any animation web store, because I need mocap system.

@order66
    Of course I did programming :) It's not few hours work.

@Pelajesh
    Seems the gameplay video didn't do it's job, I did such environment to give it "in development" view and update the project during campaign to make it more live. But now I think that it isn't enough and I'll upload new gameplay video with realistic environment with two players challenging each-other.
    Hope that will make you believe in me :) that I'm really capable to make high quality game and my campaign is worth of $67 000

Thanks for your opinions, this really helps ;)

11. temo_koki

temo_koki

@Pelajesh
    The main fun for this game is to create your own style character, dress up him/her, interact with players and challenge them.
    And the key to maintain fun will be MMO standard "level up" system, Players level will increase when he/she wins the challenge, gets new clothes and tricks. Levels will be needed to unlock best clothes, accessories and tricks.

12. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

I'd also suggest adding different game modes if you can call them that - like 1 vs 1 challenges, but also team challenges and maybe even something like capture the flag parkour style?

13. temo_koki

temo_koki

@Pelajesh
    Capture the flag? :) Sounds creative and fun ;)
    But for beginning I want to create main system, for feature I have many ideas to add such as: creating your team-clan, create world map and domination system and many other little and big things, but that needs much much more research and work.
    So for now I want to make basic system and after that add features which will be asked from players with help of feedback web page.
    And may be there will be your great idea too ;)

14. EverHeartGames

EverHeartGames

I'm going to have to disagree with the others. $67k is little for an MMO. Now, before you say anything rubbish, look into the details first. How much money do you need in order to create fantastic animations so the game doesn't feel dull? How about the servers and the upkeep? Perhaps even the code and features?

The game itself is ambitious like any other project. And like any other project, it needs money to run. Especially a parkour game.

Keep up the good work though! I plan on doing parkour later this year. It's going to be glorious.

15. temo_koki

temo_koki

@EverHeartGames
    Thanks for support ;)

Yeah the $67k for any MMO is very very low amount. Especially for such animation heavy game.
    This amount will be spent only on mocap system and for hiring people which will do all the 3d models.
    I'm not counting in programming (which I'll do myself) servers costs and many other things, I just want this 67k to continue working on that and speed up development by hiring few people.

These guys know that for MMO $67k isn't big amount, but the problem is that my project doesn't show that I'm capable doing high quality MMO which needs so "much" money, I'll upload new gameplay video in these days to ensure that I am :)

16. taichiu727

taichiu727

67k may not not be alot to big companies but for the current progress, i don't think it is worth that much money.... you really need to reconsider, money is not that easy to get

17. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

I guess all that adds some replay but you still didn't address the core mechanics that will keep people playing. So far it looks nothing more than run and jump, where's the skill and fail aspects? Parkour has so many factors: timing, speed, balance, height, distance, arm sway, foot/hand placement, landing, etc... Nail all of them, rise to fame. Fail, pay with bones and blood. Do you plan to implement any of that? Simple run and jump will not sustain a F2P MMO model.

18. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

The problem is, nobody wants to put money into a game with nearly nothing to show. Still at $5 I see, and this is exactly the problem. Would you throw money towards my game it was cubes and a few animations?

19. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Take a $75,000 loan from the bank. Spend a few months making a prototype, put it again on KickStarter or IndieGoGo.

I am sure that with your skills that you can go for it and make a superb MMO.

20. primus88

primus88

What bank gives you 75.000 dollars for personal needs? Yes, We could take those money for a house , but not to make a game...
    Maybe things are different in USA, but in Europe it doesn't work like that.
    Also, even after you finish any game.. there are high chances that it won't be a hit. This is a fact...
    So what happens if you don't make back even 10% of the money you borrowed?

21. tweedie

tweedie

Whilst i think $67,000 is high for most crowdfunded games, it definitely has potential. I think anyone who rips this project apart and criticises it to the extreme at only this stage is being ridiculous, because this is (quite obviously) in its baby steps. I think we'll have to wait, and like people are saying, wait for it to become a bit more presentable - but hey, he's only the programmer! Yeah, it might not turn out great, or it might get pretty big - but that's no reason to tell someone to stop what they're doing because you think it's futile; that's just your opinion.

Whilst I agree that it's best to start a kickstarter after many months of pre-dev, it's a mistake many people make :)

I think this will turn out very interesting - good luck! :D

22. temo_koki

temo_koki

Hey guys, you're right that project which has much more to show has more chances to be funded, but as I said I did such environment to make it "in development" look and update it often to be more interested and live but...

I can do everything alone, but just imagine how much work does it need, it'll take me maybe 2-3 years :),
    I can't wait so long, I have to work on commercial projects to get money, but I don't want to work on this as a hobby/side project, I want to put all my possibilities into this. Because I'm asking money from starting.

Let's wait for new gameplay video and after that I'll be interested in your opinions if it is also early stage to show for crowdfunding and asking for $67k :)

23. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

So why are you trying to get funded now? Wait a year or so.

Still at $5 I see.

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey look I can play the mario theme on guitar really badly, oh and I can show you three minutes of poorly filmed street running, now surely you want to give me money to make my game!

Its not a bad idea to show you are into parkour if you are making an indie parkour game, but one 10-15 second run is all that is required. The video should be about the game, what it is, why you want to make it, what has happened so far, and why you need the money.

I'm someone who is interested in Unity, parkour, and parkour animation systems; the fact that I couldn't sit through your video without skipping large chunks of it should tell you something.

25. u-007

u-007

I feel like the idea has potential, but it is very wise to put all cards in the table before you want to promote it. I don't think anyone here is trying to bash or flame you, or discourage you on the game, just giving some pointers. Khelton made a good point in regards of getting funded. The main problem is that, since there is nothing to "look at", we cannot trust if this will be successful. What I mean by nothing to "look at" is that there is no concept art of characters, locations of where the game takes place, or basically anything that can helps us visualize how this game might or might not entertain us. I tried developing games using Unity, and worst, trying to go solo, so I know the amount of work it is, from modeling, to texturing, to animating, it takes time, especially for MMO games that requires very complex networking programming. The idea is not bad, and having the ability to be able to "Parkour" on the surroundings make it sound like a great game. But then I remember GTA, where I could drive cars, helicopters, and so much more features, and then I also remember Assassins Creed, where I could climb to the tallest buildings and explore everything on my surroundings, and then I feel like if I play your game, it will just be a game like that, with nothing different. I understand these games has nothing to do with yours, but they do offer an extensive amount of features that made them have an impact on many gamers, even today, thats why we still buy them lol. What I am trying to get at is that you have to consider of how you can make me feel thrilled about your game? how can you get me hooked and feel like "I want this game so bad!!", or something along those lines? With not much to see , is a tough sale. Many people online will not trust a product with not much info, much less fund a product with not much details. All I'm saying is that, if you want more people to fund you, give them a reason to, not just with ideas, but with something we can visualize. Open a blog, show us your progress, get feedback, and once you have a great deal of media to show, try crowdfunding again.

Again, we just want you to succeed, but we are are also realistic. Just wanted to give my two cents. I do hope you keep at it and really wish for this to be a success, will still hang around for updates on your game :)

26. temo_koki

temo_koki

Just some photos
    Video gameplay coming soon.. :)

27. temo_koki

temo_koki

28. primus88

primus88

:), this is a nice update.
    Keep up the good work.
    Also, looking in retrospective I think you made some mistakes when doing the crowdfunding campaign.
    I recommend to read a lot about how to setup a campaign, prepare the press kit, create coverage and buzz for your game.. etc.

This is just some quick advice for the future.

29. temo_koki

temo_koki

Here is another one with realistic look, this is just beginning :)

$TK UMA realistic.jpg

30. hawx

hawx

4 Days to reach the goal, You're not going to make it. Though , as you can see , since you've put pictures and gameplay up for show, the project has boosted from $4 to $400. It might be worth posting this project up again on KickStarter/IndieGoGo but with all the screenshots and videos you've shown us here, to gain a little more attraction(and maybe creating a new thread).

Thanks,
    Hawx

EDIT : IndieGoGo said 4 days. 16 is in fact left.

31. temo_koki

temo_koki

@hawx
    4 days? 16 days are left. yeah, it isn't much but everything is possible :) I wanted to make this until 25 days was left but had problems.
    yes, people are visual :) These images and video already shows the idea what it'll look like and of course it's more attractive.
    Let's see how far it will go, after that I'll consider the other ways if needed ;)

Thanks.

32. temo_koki

temo_koki

33. chelnok

chelnok

This game has potential for sure, but the campaign, unfortunately not so much. Like many others, i'm more focused your campaign than the game. It really should be other way around, but gives you lot of info how to do it next time.

My opinion is that your project probably would not get funded even if you had another 67k for marketing that very campaign :)

Not saying its not possible to one guy to get that kind of money, but if you want that to happen via crowdfunding, you have to invest more by your self. Not money, but your effort, and show invested effort to people who are considering should or should i not to "give" this guy my money. There is too little of the project itself. You know, i can imagine ppl thinks something like, "there is a guy from somewhere planet earth who want to have sixtyseven thousand dollars.." I think the problem with your marketing video is exactly that. Here is couple links to vids that were kind of convincing that when i saw them it was clear decision at once to participate to the funding, here: 1 2 Many ppl including me "gave" money for them, and i'm sure i and many others would have done same thing for your campaign, just if your video was better :)

I hope you finish the game with or without funding.

edit: forget to mention that updated gameplay video looks awesome!
    edit2 ..the gameplay itself i mean :) (wasnt too exited about chargen part.. too long?)

34. temo_koki

temo_koki

@chelnok
    Thanks for your opinion, I saw both videos and I can't understand why do you think so:
    "there is a guy from somewhere planet earth who want to have sixtyseven thousand dollars.."

That guy in video says same, at first he makes overview what it'll be about and that he'll need many years to do it alone and he needs money to hire people.
    I wonder why you don't liked my video, may be because my bad English and my unpopular country makes such decision in subconsciously? :) that I'm not hard worker and only need the peoples money? :)
    If you can, please describe exactly what you liked in his video and what yo don't in mine, what my video is missing etc.. It would be great help to correct my mistakes ;)

I know that my first video doesn't speak much about game idea, because I did this new one to showcase what it'll be.
    My mistake in the first video was to showcase myself exaggerated :) but I did that because........... I know that the MMO games are really big ones and needs much more funds than 67K and many workers, so it's hard to believe that one person can handle such project, so with this video I wanted to say that I'm capable to do it :) I really do a lot of things. Training on sport started from 5 year(8 year gymnast, 4-hand to hand fighting and 2 - M1 :D) and learning computer software in parallel from 12 year. So I know many software and also have experience in many programming languages (started from pascal :) ) I'm working in unity engine almost 5 year, was working as a freelancer and have some starter kits on asset store. Now when I collected necessary knowledge I'm really ready to do such big game.
    Don't get me wrong it look like a self praise, but all the thing which I want, is to believe in me. I do not want to be thought as a liar.

Thanks.

35. chelnok

chelnok

Well those two vids i linked are two very different of kind, first one is more like yours and second one is totally opposite. However to compare the first vid to your vid, it has been divided to sections more carefully; it shows at the very beginning what you are getting into, then very short introduce about the person behind this all. Back to what this all is about with more details showing a lot of things that have been already made, and how much effort has been put to the project. Explanation why kickstarter, with little more personal info and why he is doing this.. and of course thanks speech etc. So.. there is lot of screen time for project itself, and after all quite little, but enough screen time for developer. Now what comes to your vid, it start with you playing guitar witch is totally unrelated to project, it could work as a getting to know you, but not really a good start, especially when the video continues with you running around next couple minutes. At this point there is no matter what you say because watchers has already lost most of their concentration. Important things get lost. Finally there comes something to wake up viewer, but unfortunately ..its already game over. About second video i linked, its kind of interesting opposite to your video and cant really give you much tips about that, but it is short and catchy and is nothing but the project itself, rest of the project is explained briefly with text. So the video is the key to get interested and the very beginning of the video is most important.

Summasummarum.. there is too much of you at the video, so when you try to explain you need to buy motion capture system, it feels you are trying other ppl to buy you a new toy. I, and many others at this thread knows its not the case. And there is already lots of suggestion how to improve the project so i dont see any point to repeat them.. while i mostly criticize the vid i think Khelton already pointed most problems out couple weeks ago.

..it really could be, but
    and the truth is, whatever the reason, your campaign was no success, well looks like it at this point anyway.

36. temo_koki

temo_koki

:) Ok, Thanks ;)

37. temo_koki

temo_koki

Toy? :) without mocap system in such game where is needed lots of realistic movements, it'll take much much more money to pay for animators and of course it'll take much time too.
    What about campaign, after I got some feedback, I was waiting for this second video and I just started sharing and advertising it.

38. chelnok

chelnok

Yes, i know that :) But there got to be reason for lack of interest about the campaign, and i dont believe its the game itself, so it got to to something else. My comments are more speculations what is the most probable reason for that people (icludes me) didnt want to participate ..all this based on other comments here, and my own judgement call couple weeks ago to not be interested about your project. Now i've seen the vid few times, and cant find any exact reason, but of course my first impression happened couple weeks ago already, and i can just speculate what it was wathing the vid again. That i can tell about my normal behaviour and the reason why i actually did watch the video from start to end couple weeks ago. Normally i would have probably jumped 1 min forward after 15-20sek, and again 1 or two min, and finally at that point skipped the rest, and going to check next campaign, but you were from unity forum :) and i watch all campaign vids linked from here, even if i normally wouldn "waste" my time.. I did not give any feedback, because all was already said. However, i saw how well you took all the critique, and i think you are person who doesnt start to cry if i say things straight.

The campaign looks much better compared to how it was couple weeks ago.. just keep working with it and you'll have lots of good material for next round, if one needed.

39. temo_koki

temo_koki

Ok, now I understand you :)
    Yeah, you're right I never cry and never give up :) critique is always hard to take, but I appreciate people which are straight. Critique makes me stronger and I learn many things from it and I'm improving my level ;)
    Thanks.

40. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

When the guy fall down from the roof, you should totally make blood spatter everywhere. Haha just kidding. Last time I took a peek at this thread was like 3 weeks ago, and it was bland, but now, it's going somewhere. Keep up the awesome game!

41. temo_koki

temo_koki

@Shadow_Fire
    Yeah, there will be implemented lots of blood in future :evil: :D