Search Unity

The Descent - A survival horror game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by gogo199432, Aug 1, 2013.

1. gogo199432

gogo199432

Hi guys!

So I'm making this new survival horror game with my friend, and thought, that we are at the stage where I can actually show something, so thats why I'm writing this thread right now.

Story

Our game would play in a hospital or a asylum, which have lived better times. As you progress in the story, you find out that people used this building as some kind of shelter. I don't want to write too much about the story, since it takes away the joy :)

Game Mechanics

We are trying our best to keep the fear in the player as he goes trough level after level. But this doesnt mean it's going to be full with jumpscares. Actually I want to use the least amount of jumpscares possible.
    Of course we would have the Big-Bad-Monster which haunts you through the game, like in Amnesia. We also take some other game elements from the said game, like the sanity meter, and hiding, since the only weapon you are going to have is a flashlight (probably)

Our Team

As you probably already guessed it, we are a two-man team at the moment.
    We are working on the game every day if we can, and we hope to deliver a great experience for you guys :)

Prove that we actually have something

[video=youtube_share;XCTN16NpY8A]http://youtu.be/XCTN16NpY8A

Your Idea?

Any ideas are welcome as long as you stay within the reasonable borders. You might see your own ideas in the game! Think about what scares you the most, or how would YOU scare someone else?

Thanks for reading this thread and spending some thoughts for our game.

2. Ninety_

Ninety_

Looks really good! Only thing I would change is to remove the left hand; it seems a little out of place constantly flexing there. But other than that, this is looking good, keep up the good work.

3. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thanks for the reply and compliment :)
    About the hand, other people mentioned this too, and it really looks funny, so I'm pretty sure that I'm going to remove that.

4. carking1996

carking1996

I'd keep the left hand there. but make it not really move all too much. :)

5. derf

derf

Ya keep the left hand and use it to display the current useable item the character has like a key, bottle, etc.

That would be a cool unique way of showing the current active item.

6. gogo199432

gogo199432

Derf, thats a good idea, however I'm not sure that I understand what you mean? I mean if it would display all the avaible items, it would look really nasty :D
    Btw guys, I really meant that "Your Idea" seriously, so if you post any usefull ideas, it has a great potential that we are going to use it :)

7. derf

derf

Not all of your useable items of course, but door keys would be a good example. Something that is small and would be used to interact with objects in your game like placing a small statue on a pedestal. First ready the statue by selecting it from an inventory screen and it appears in the left hand, now you can "place" the statue on the pedestal to complete a puzzle task or something. Basically whenever you hit the "action key" on your keyboard, and you have specific items in the left hand and met other criteria for the scene than something happens. This can give a better illusion of player interaction with the environment (like having to bash down a door by pressing and holding a key), instead of simply highlighting an item sprite in a GUI inventory system and pressing an action key.

8. LightSource

LightSource

Looks good, I like the atmosphere so far. One thing though, the footsteps sound a little artificial. Your walking on tile floors right? Right now it sounds like your lightly tapping your heel on concrete. Just a little pet peeve of mine. Good luck!

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  9. gogo199432

gogo199432

Okay guys, I thought it's time to release a new update :)

So sadly I didn't manage to fix the hands animation mainly because I accidently overwrote the blender file, so I have to make all the animations again...And I didnt change the walking sound, because i didnt find any usefull and nice sounding audio for it. If any of you have a nice marble-walking sound I would like to use it and see how it works :)

But I have good news too. The first map isnt far from finishing it, maybe one or two more weeks. However I'm not going to be home for a long time now, at least a week, so the development will slow down on my part. But anyway, enough from the boring speak, let's see a new video :)

10. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

I really like the environment and graphics so far.. looks faithful to something like Amnesia. Therein lies the problem with horror games like this though, the formula has been repeated and mimicked so much lately that it is a bit boring.. which is weird because there is so much you can do with horror.

My idea for the game would be to make the whole asylum open world on an island like the movie "Shutter Island" with a day/night cycle. This would give some hope/despair contrast. Game-play sees you setting traps and barricading doors, whilst attempting to progress further into the asylum (find key, extinguish fire..etc), as you progress you learn more about the things tormenting you and new ways to keep them at bay based upon their past case files. Finally you find a way off the island - insert plot twist here.

11. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thats funny because we have something completly different in our heads XD . And a open world horror game would take much more work than we can do at the moment sadly, however I'll try to implement some free roaming on the maps, like scavenging...we'll see. Anyway thanks for the kind compliment and critic :)

12. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Looken really good.
    I like that the atmoshere is creepy but at the same time somewhat calm. I also like the idea that you wont be filling it with jumpscares all over the game. Good move imo. I think this keeps the player more on the edge because they would be expecting a jumpscare but dont get it when expected so when you do use a jumpscare its more surprising. Level is looking great so far to.

Just some small things, I know someone else said it but the character is flexing that hand to much. Just an idea, but maybe you can use the hand as the insanity meter for your game? What I mean is, maybe start the player out calm but the more scared the character gets the more aggressively he begins flexing his hand? (Because he wants to look stronger, haha jk) No but to show that the character is more stressed/frightened.

The vending machine is a nice little touch to. But I would suggest editing the machine and just change the name on it to something made up instead of an actual Coke machine just to be on the safe side.

anyway, good job and keep it up. its turning out great so far

13. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thanks for the long and fulfilling comment snowconesolid. I read quiet a lot about what makes a great horror etc, so I'm hoping to achieve that effect you were talking about.

About the hand flexing thing, I think I'm going to do what derf said, so like show keys and stuff if i manage :D When the sanity drains I'll try to use some screen effects, like Fisheye and stuff like that :)

The vending was just a fun thing to add, but yes, I'll probably change the texture of it, just didnt have time for it yet.

Let me a personal comment on my side: I'm so glad that people actually like what they see, it's a huge boost for me :) Thank You to everybody who shares his/her ideas with me, or just simply keeps an eye on the project :)

14. gogo199432

gogo199432

15. KnightOfGamelot

KnightOfGamelot

Graphics are smooth and gameplay looks pretty good. It doesn't really feel scary, eerie wuld be more accurate for the time being.

Remember to make use of the top fear factors, and I see you are using a few so far.
    1. Fear of the Unknown
    2. Fear of the Uncertain - Being unarmed adds a nice touch,
    3. Soundtrack
    4. Audio Effects - The recurring monster noises add a nice touch. - 3D Sounds are the best(e.g. behind you).
    5. Visual - A fast moving shadow at the end of the hallway, lights going out, body parts falling from a hole in the ceiling,
    - Terrifying example: You see the monster at the end of a long hallway, and it sees you. It charges in your direction and you must run away with the fear of it chasing you. (of course, it is not chasing you, and there is no real danger in the effect, but it keeps you on your toes)
    6. Story - Who are you and why are you there, and what is your mission

Here's a great article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169476/10_ways_horror_games_need_to_evolve.php

Also, kudos for uploading in 1080p. :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  16. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thanks for the comment

There isnt too much to fear from in this early stage of course, and this is going to be the first level of the game, so it's more about catching the feeling of the game and not about actually scare the living sh*t out of the player :D

Thanks for the link, I'll surely read it through carefully, and steal some ideas :D

As for the 1080p , this is the least from me :)

17. GoldGamerGod

GoldGamerGod

Looking good so far! Hope everything turns out well.

With the hand, i'd remove it. Think about it, if you were holding a flash light,would both your hands be up at the same time? You should make it so if you're holding something should the hand show, its more realistic that way.

Also with the coke machine..You might wanna change the texture, you don't want the game getting removed for copy-right reasons.

18. Foestar

Foestar

I really REALLY like what you've done so far. It's not much, but I love it! I enjoy good survival horror games! But there is one thing really annoying the fu*k out of me. I have no problem with the hand, but you should really do something about the flashlight. I just feel that it should be centered, and even if it isn't, it doesn't do much for lighting. This is good in some ways, but bad too. When you're running around I can't tell what's in the scene where as you already know from developing it. I can't explore with the flashlight all too well because I would have to look off to the side of the screen kinda in the small little circle. I'm not saying make a giant vision of light in the center of the screen where ever you point. But a little more would be nice. I don't know, it just bothers me. But other than that, awesome work! :D

19. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thank You guys for the comments, they are highly appriciated. As for the hand, I'll have to redo the whole animation anyway, so things will change :)
    The coke-machine will be cenzured of course, just didnt have time for it yet.
    A lot of people had problem with the flashlight too, so I'll tweak that too. It's on the side only because of the hand animation.
    So anyway thank You for the kind compliments, it means a lot. I'm on vacation now, so the next update will take a while, but in the meantime my friend is working on the next levels :)
    Btw guys, which is easier or more efficient? Making the level in Unity or in a 3d modelling software?

20. GoldGamerGod

GoldGamerGod

With the level, it may vary in the end.
    I think designing in a 3D modelling program is easier, sometimes. It all depends on your model though.
    I think the two programs should collide though.
    Terrain/world itself should be done using Unity's terrain engine, this allows for the trees to be placed,grass,hills, anything you want.
    Houses and such should be done in a 3D modelling program.
    Though it very much depends on what you're making, if you want a more complex terrain/world, you may want to model it by hand for more freedom. Its what you find easier to do.

21. gogo199432

gogo199432

Finally the time arrived for another small update :)

As I mentioned before, I wasnt at home for like a week, so couldnt work on the project, thats why it took so long. And of course I managed to break my Player object when I got home, so it took some time to fix that too. But anyway, don't focus on the bad things in the past, instead take a look at the things I improved on the game.

- Reanimated the hands, so no more flexing dear sir :)
    - Flashlight got changed to a VideoCamera, it's cool isn't it
    - A brand new working keypad

Here is a video about them, take a look:

[video=youtube_share;on0U7-K8WGI]http://youtu.be/on0U7-K8WGI

One more thing. You might ask, what my friend is doing in the background. Well, let me show you his picture of the upcoming 2nd level

$1081824_500547576689868_1569837536_n.jpg

As always any comments or ideas are welcome, and thanks for taking a look at our project!

22. makapaka

makapaka

Hi!
    How assets are you using for this game?
    If you could, say me all of them
    Sorry for my bad english ;)

23. gogo199432

gogo199432

Okay guys, so todays quick changenote is coming

The camera's screen can now be opened/closed
    Removed the coca cola text from the vending machine
    The player has a stamina now, so we cant run forever anymore :)

One more thing, this isn't a changelog but I want to share it: My friend and myself finally started seriously thinking about the story and the characters :)

Oh and the second level is coming together nice too :)

24. makapaka

makapaka

Cool, but please answer to my question:
    How assets are you using for this game?
    ----------------------------------------------------------

25. gogo199432

gogo199432

They are partly from BlendSwap or Turbosquid or made by me.

(and it's What assets or Which assets. With How you are asking about a specific thing)

26. makapaka

makapaka

Which asset are you using for build this huge place? (I mean corridors, room)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorrry for my bad english ;)

27. gogo199432

gogo199432

The surrounding is mostly built from unity cubes. I was using Probuilder.

28. makapaka

makapaka

OK.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  29. rbx775

rbx775

I dont know if you already did this because the video camera is know blocking the cone of light, but:

Clamp the CC Ramp texture in the texture settings pls ! :)
    eliminates the oversaturating.

Other then that: great work !

30. gogo199432

gogo199432

Makapaka please dont post advertisement here, open a new thread for your/your friends game.

Rbx775 could you explain what are you suggesting? Sadly I'm not near my pc so can't post any updates for a few days

31. gogo199432

gogo199432

Another small update today.

I added a really basic save and load system, however there is still a lot to work on it :)
    The "so-loved" notes are coming to this game too. From now on you can pick up notes from the past, and read about what happened.
    The walking sounds got highly enhanced, since I'm using 3 different audio clips instead of one.

Thats about it. Let me know what would you like to see, what should I change, or if you can't wait to see a new video :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  32. gogo199432

gogo199432

I just wanted to share the amazing effects that some glow and lens flare caused. And of course some tweaking on the color correction

$Unity 2013-08-28 20-14-22-66.jpg $Unity 2013-08-28 20-14-35-79.jpg $Unity 2013-08-28 20-14-56-01.jpg

And please let me know what you think, any kind of feedback is welcomed :)

33. ParAdi2

ParAdi2

So far it looks nice i think you should add like a bed and like some blood coming from it like if someone was pushed from the bed

34. RvD

RvD

Yo man dis is RvD am new here but i found your game way interesting nd way too cool
    i find graphics cool ^^ nd nice story line as i see
    i just decided to leave some suggestions
    Suggestions.!
    1- Make couple levels of this game not 1 level
    cause when youtubers get known to game nd start making game plays if it's just 1 level nd they finished it no body gonna download it since they saw the first nd only levlel is over.
    2- i think it's more cool to add some taste of fun into the game like opening doors with your hand like Amnesia like click it nd it open nd also u can like grab stuff nd move with it and throw them that would be daium interesting if you acctually did that .
    3- as i see your smart person as it seems when you said (But this doesnt mean it's going to be full with jumpscares. Actually I want to use the least amount of jumpscares possible.)
    well sir i gotta agree but you gotta make sure that you make us afraid that's what make it an horror game i wish if you make it like 40% jump scares like only jump scare when right times come like a place where u see light then it go off suddenly then some 1 appear nd shock u dats creepy and sorry for ma bad english <3 i hope you atleast take some of my Suggestions to the game nd i would be satisfied nd please send me a beta copy or a link to donate for da game when it's realeasd
    ty nd good luck <3

35. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thanks for this long comment, I'm glad you like it

As for the suggestions, let me answer in points too.

1. There are at least 9 levels planned for this game :)
    2. I dont think that there will be this type of mechanic in the game, because it's kinda hard to implement
    3. We will do our best to cause you nightmares :D

New update is coming soon, but we have to sort things out first.

36. RvD

RvD

okay 9 levels daium ^^ nice bro iam tottally in love with you now.(Not gay) lol
    nd awww it would be cool but who gives a fk not big deal.
    <3 i will be waiting nd i will try to be first 1 who put a gameplay on youtube.
    just one thing i was wondering about
    once game is Realeased send me a link of the beta copy about this game so amma give u some feed back
    nd if u wanna make it like busniess make a demo version 2 levels only nd other levels for donators.
    if you got skype add me (eminempop122) with out the brackets >()<
    nd ty

37. gryff

gryff

Some thoughts on this game and the genre itself.

1. Not keen on the video camera it blocks the view. It is a nice effect but I'm not sure it belongs here. That said, I suppose there is a kind of precendent - the 2011 Aussie movie "The Tunnel", but that has a party of four investigating an old tunnel system. One feature is a night vision camera that allows them to see the mainly hidden creature that abhors light.

2. I enjoyed the discussion on what makes for a good "survival horror" game. I certainly agree that sound/audio is important and prefer not to have "jump scares" every minute or so, but think that a good back story, perhaps released slowly, is important for building tension.

3. Character speed. I noticed in the example videos that the characters moved quite fast, somthing I have also seen in YouTube walkthroughs of games like Amnesia and Penumbra. While obviously there is a need for a RUN speed (escape/avoidance), it has always struck me that there should be a health/endurance penalty of somekind. Most people are not olympic class atheletes with super fitness and endurance.

just a few thoughts,

cheers, gryff :)

38. gogo199432

gogo199432

Thanks for the advices as always.

1. In the mean time it is possible to close the cams screen, so you see everything :) Tha video is a bit outdated...
    2. We have a backstory of course, and developing it as we go :)
    3. Like in the first option, the character is slower now, and can't run for more than 5 seconds. After that he has to recover. :)

39. gryff

gryff

Wow, that was quick gogo!

Glad to see you have already included answers to some of my thoughts. If I remember correctly, the night vision camera in "The Tunnel" is the only way that the party of journalists actually see the creature - and provides possiblities for story enhancement. They also carry sound detecting equipment.

Will keep watching this thread to see how this all develops.

40. RvD

RvD

i like this your up with your forums <3 amma keep up with you man i will be waiting for your game
    sorry for the forum spam ^^

41. gogo199432

gogo199432

Okay, so I wanted to post a new update since a long time, so here it is. Sadly most of the changes are so subtle (mostly bug-fixes) that they don't wort mentioning.

So what is new?

The second level is slowly reaching the finish line, but we don't want to show too much of it, because then why play the game, right?

After messing around with the settings, I managed to make a night-vision like effect on the camera screen

$Unity 2013-09-07 21-04-28-58.jpg

adjusted a lot on the light settings, so it is hopefully optional at the moment :)

Also the first humanoid character got in the game. And what else can't a horror game miss than a little, but more terrifying girl?

$Névtelen.png

Also we have an almost fully funcional pause menu finally, so you can check the controls for example at any time.

The saving feature is coming, however I got a bit stuck with the saving of Triggers...so much work :D

Added a lot of random sound effects to scare the S*** out of the player *evil laugh engaged*

The player can now zoom in, but to be honest I don't know if anyone ever wants to do that :D

I think this concludes our changelog at the moment. Sorry if you wanted to see more development, but there is school too you know :)

So anyway, let me know what you think.

Also I'm planning to release a demo when we get the first part of the game completed.

42. gryff

gryff

Nice to know that my original post about the camera in "The Tunnel" movie were not in vain ;-)

By the way have you watched the movie? It is available on YouTube and through BitTorrent - it is the first Australian film to be distributed and promoted legally through the BitTorrent internet downloading platform - providing free access to millions.

And alledgedly there will be a sequel..

43. Ian094

Ian094

This game looks great! It kinda reminds me of silent hill :O...
    Just curious, what platform(s) is it gonna be on?

44. xtremepman

xtremepman

Where is it to be released? IndieDB?

Looks awesome. Reminds me of silent hill and outlast (coming soon)

45. gogo199432

gogo199432

gryff:
    No, I didn't see the movie. To be honest I didn't see like any horror movies at all i think :) At least I don't count the ones I saw as horror movies

Other:

It's going to be a standalone game, so no webbuild or something like that. I don't know yet where to release it, I'm thinking about Steam Greenlight or even IndieDB.

As for other games, I know it looks like Outlast a bit :) It's a jaw-dropiing game, and I just hope to achieve something like that.

46. gogo199432

gogo199432

Another day, another update

I began to start working on the AI and the hiding mechanics. I got a loads of help for the AI from the Stealth tutorial series, thanks again for it. As for the hiding mechanic, I made a little video, however keep in mind that it's still in progress.

My friend is working on the fine tuning of the 2nd level, and it should be finished soon :)
    About the second level, I think I can say it with confidens that we'll implement our first "jumpscare" (yeeey)

I probably forgot some stuff, but these are the mayor changes. Let me know what you think :)

47. gogo199432

gogo199432

Okay, so just a quick changelog here.

The main changes are the following:
    1. - I'm pretty sure that the save 'n loading system is finished, however I'm probably wrong :)
    2. - Also the AI is mostly complete, but we still have to add an actual character to it, because at the moment it's just an evil capsule
    3. - Fixed the first level...again....

We also decided to not have only one Big-Bad-Guy but about 3 or 4 so there is a bit more diversity.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions don't be shy to comment them below :)

48. Garet

Garet

This is reminding me that I need to finish up playing Outlast. Good job so far.

49. gogo199432

gogo199432

Hi everybody, it's time for a new update

So I had some serious breakdown yesterday, so big that had to make a whole new project file, but luckily survived it without any damage.

Now for the good news:

Thanks to Brackeys, we have our very own Inventory! It's pretty amazing, right?
    $Unity 2013-09-22 14-03-36-21.jpg

Also I can show you our first evil enemy. Anyone ordered some raw meat?
    $untitled.jpg

Also the third level is on its way, so stay tuned :)

We are planning to release a demo after we finished with the third map, and the storyline that comes with it.

Let me know what you think.

50. ryabuz

ryabuz

Like your gameplay video. I'm a hardcore horror gamer and I have this idea but maybe it would take a looong post.Hope you could read it...

I'm playing this new game, Outlast. Just started playing it for a while, still playing it and i found out it has a brilliant 1st person style (my opinion) compared to other hiding running horror games because it gives me some kind of different horror feeling..which make the protagonist more 'lively'.

What I mean by lively is that you can see your lower body, feet and shadow when looking down, and for me this make the protagonist more of a human character. (If your game already have this than its wonderful!) Even when u open doors u can push it slowly like Amnesia (to give it sense of interaction in game) the difference is only that u can really see your hand opening it! For me this is really something new. And when someone/thing attack you, not just slashes on screen then disappear later, but remain to your body like the fingers being cut off in Outlast. Not saying Outlast is a perfect game, just agree with including the whole body to interact, and I haven't found yet other games in this genre (no shooting) like it! So my idea is that you can include something like this (details to the character himself) because it will add up the horror elements itself.

Because for me personally, playing a true 1st person horror game which involve hiding running really depends on the player's interactions, feelings senses throughout the game world. If its a shooting game I won't bother. Like us (you and me) in the real world we look at things in 1st person, and what do you see if u look down? Of course your whole body, even your shoulders! So to feel and create real horror I believe to include the body of the player and make it interact.

So my idea is:
    1) If there's a chance, try to create the body from shoulder to feet. Just imagining the protagonist is yourself. The rectangular screen is just your face. You don't point your gun under your chin right? (example like creating a better horror version of Mirror's Edge)
    2) Create 2 different protagonist. Doesn't really have to show their face or talking in-game just start the game either as a male or female, because the character reflects the player him/herself. Even if there are cutscenes, just show it in 1st person view and their voice are only their heartbeat, panting sound or groaning etc. (like Fallout or Skyrim only that he has a body!)
    3) If a monster grabs you from below the floor or pop up from crates etc and scratch you, its leaves scar/wound to your body, arms or legs (not only slashes on screen which is obviously just your face) and u see your character walking haltingly (which affects the camera focus maybe its a bit shaky whatsoever) or unsteadily with dripping blood/severed injure or even limbs being cut off but still alive! Searching for bandages!
    4) If your blood lost is very much indeed with scars and slashes, blood all over your body and still dripping wet maybe leaving a trail for the monster.
    5) After the protagonist being chased by the monster, his insanity meter will totally fill up and at certain point he'll stop bending down holding his knees gasping some air, or holding his chest.. Wouldn't that be great? (kinda like I am Alive)
    6) Or maybe when his waist or elbow is injured, u see his hand is pressing towards the injured area while walking.
    7) If your'e hiding then you hear your breath and heart whimpering fast (Most game does this like Amnesia, Outlast)
    8) Maybe the right click mouse controls the right hand weapon (if there are) and left click mouse controls the flashlight.
    9) If u have something to store maybe u bring a backpack or your coats have pockets (like Alone in the Dark 2008 which i like its style)
    10) Maybe when your'e walking or sneaking then suddenly your left leg stuck or been grabbed, could release it by shaking mouse while clicking left click (left leg) or kicking it (monster) with right click (right leg)

Actually maybe there are more thing that we can think about. I'm just sharing my ideas (if I had a chance of creating a game I would totally try and apply those). Im just thinking the horror elements as a part of a real human being interacting with the environment. Wouldn't this makes it even scarier? It's just that this Outlast gave me some ideas of what real horror feels, and just trying to develop it further. I'm just sharing maybe u get my general idea of horror. The monster itself has a horror feature (like Amnesia) and the environment bring real spooks or darkness (like Silent Hills or Fatal Frames) while the player struggling with himself. (like I Am Alive)

However not necessary to follow all the ideas. If u could just create the protagonist as lively as possible its enough I think you gogo199432 and your team member could create a new style of horror game! (Try combining Outlast and Amnesia) Sorry if its to long. And if your'e not interested then hope u can share with your other friends about this idea.

Thanks. Hope you success in creating The Descent and would love to play it someday. :)