Search Unity

c# GetComponent string?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by markrodgers11, Jul 31, 2013.

1. markrodgers11

markrodgers11

Code (csharp):
    2. instance.GetComponent<TYPE>().enabled = true;
    how would I go about finding a component attached to the instance gameobject via a string?

example:
    Code (csharp):
    2. instance.GetComponent<STRINGHERE>().enabled = true;

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. ardo314

ardo314

3. markrodgers11

markrodgers11

Type 'UnityEngine.Component' does not contain a definition for `enabled` and no extension method `enabled' of type `UnityEngine.Component' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

5. markrodgers11

markrodgers11

Yes, I know that but I'm looking for an alternative method because that method will not work. The classname depends on what the player clicks in-game. Therefore I can't use "as Classname" unless I know the classname, which could be any number of things. I need someway to get find a script component and enable it by a string.

Code (csharp):
    2. if(inventory[index].equipable) {
    3.     GameObject instance = (GameObject)Instantiate(Resources.Load(inventory[index].item_name), transform.position + transform.forward + Vector3.up* 0.5f, transform.rotation);
    4.     instance.name = inventory[index].item_name;
    5.     //instance.GetComponent<BaseballBat>().enabled = true;
    6. }
    Where BaseballBat I need inventory[index].item_name, because they aren't always picking up a bat, they could be picking up a hammer, etc.

6. SchneiderAtvis

SchneiderAtvis

Inheritance can help you with this. Say your BaseballBat and Hammer inherits from Item, then you could do GetComponent<Item>().enabled = true;

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You should learn to read the API documentation, and try to resolve your problem by considering the error message.

It tells you that Component does not contain a definition for enabled, yet you know that your item class (be it a baseball bat or hammer) does have this definition. It's being defined somewhere, so where is it defined?

8. Mister-E2

Mister-E2

Don't all unity components have the enabled flag?

9. markrodgers11

markrodgers11

Thank you for the only legitmate answer. I understood components don't have .enabled, thats not what I was asking. I was trying to find an alternative method to accomplish what I was trying to do, and this is what I ended up doing. I made a Weapon class that BaseballBat inherits. Thank you