Search Unity

Unity IDE Running Under WINE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greenland, Mar 19, 2009.

1. greenland

greenland

So I'm trying to make Unity run on Linux. Install was trivial, but I needed to resolve a few missing DLLs to get unity to launch correctly. Now, I get as far as this screen before I get some Direct 3D errors. I'm convinced that I can get it working but I'm stumped. I should probably be posting on a WINE forum but I thought I might spark some interest. Here is the tail of the error log if anybody wants to take a guess at it:
    Code (csharp):
    1. err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32_FLOAT
    2. err:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_IsPixelFormatCompatibleWithRenderFmt Unable to check compatibility for Format=WINED3DFMT_R32_FLOAT
    3. fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
    4. fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x16c700) Unhandled query type 6

Attached Files:

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Wine is obviously missing the required support so no you can't do anything.

Also how is this a Unity Support thingy? You are trying to use it on a not supported platform at all so at best gossip

3. greenland

greenland

At the top of my browser window it says "Unity Community", not "Macintosh Tech Support". I was under the impression that this was a forum to exchange ideas and solve problems.

This is an issue with Direct 3D. There is a command line switch to force vanilla Open GL for windows deployed exes, does anybody know if there's a similar feature with the Unity IDE?

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I don't see any harm in posting this, although it probably belongs in the "Gossip" section since UT really can't be expected to help to get this to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got it to work in some shape or form. IIRC you can force Unity (at least a standalone) to run in OpenGL mode, so that might be the way to go.

There were posts in the past about someone that tried to get some standalones to work under Ubuntu, and IIRC they actually worked.

In a perfect world, we'd all using a "free" OS... maybe some day... ;)

5. greenland

greenland

The Unity standalones I compiled earlier today with indie worked perfectly in Linux at max resolution and graphic settings. They do have a -force-opengl switch. You might speculate that this causes a performance increase for WINE but it just makes the app crash quickly. Letting WINE BS DirectX works fine though, so I'm discouraged that simply forcing Open GL for Unity.exe will fix it.

Unity.exe has only a few registry keys and they're all boring. Good. Registry is lame anyway.

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Unity checks whether R32F render texture format (single channel floating point) is supported. So it can know if it's supported (duh) :)

Since OpenGL (pre-3.0 versions) do not support single channel floating point textures, Wine should return "no, not supported". It looks like for whatever reason it chooses to do "aaargh! panic!" instead. I don't know if that error makes Unity under Wine not work or not.

7. greenland

greenland

You think the next step is to build a less timid version of WINE?

8. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Try using CrossOver Linux or Cedega from Transgaming which should give you DirectX support on Linux.

9. greenland

greenland

I was thinking of that. I had an install back when they gave it away free because of that bet against gas prices. I'll try to dig it up and see if there are different results.

10. soulman901

soulman901

Hey you know what would great.
    Unity 2.6, now in Penguin Flavor.
    That should give Peta something to "Chew Over"
    <Insert Evil Laugh here>

11. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

See here:

http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/directx-90c-march-2008-redistributable-on-linux-with-wine.html

Dunno if you tried that yet. I followed those instructions in order to get WoW to behave correctly, and everything worked for me. Haven't tried Unity for Windows yet ( downloading - there isn't a connection fast enough! :p ), but it's most certainly on my list of things to do this evening. :D

Good luck! This could be really big! Unity under Wine... The next best thing to native Linux support! :D

Woot Woot!

12. minevr

minevr

Linux??! :eek:

13. Noread

Noread

It seems unity tries to use 32bit float colours and wine doesn't like that.

I've been trying some stuff as well, tried installing dx9 using winetricks and forcing the use of it in winecfg, but that just throws a stack overflow error and a gdiplus error wich wine isn't going to fix.

Maybe if we could force unity in opengl mode it might work.

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It only tries to check "are floating point textures available". There's no requirement that they should be available; why Wine gives errors there instead of just saying "nope, they aren't available" - I don't know.

The editor can't run in OpenGL mode on Windows.

15. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

16. camille

camille

If anyone is still interested, I got a little further. I could launch the editor, but the interface doesn't work. The editor still works (I could build the Island demo :) ).

I found this bug report : http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18059

I first installed windows media player 9 using winetricks, and i copied attrib.exe and ulib.dll from a native system32 folder to the wine system32 folder. I attached a screenshot. If anyone knows how to get further... ;)

Using wine-1.1.26, ubuntu 9.04, attrib.exe and ulib.dll copied from a windows XP drive..

EDIT : just found this... http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18061

Attached Files:

17. wannabeartist

wannabeartist

Hi!

Anyone got any further with this? Latest screenshot looks temptingly close to a working thing :)

18. ghisguth

ghisguth

i've patched wine in order to run editor on linux. patch will be available soon at bugs.winehq.org

19. jruiz

jruiz

Good job. Thanks.

Please continue with your work.

20. jaeger

jaeger

That's fantastic! Please keep up the effort. I'm afraid WINE is the only way we're going to get any Linux support.

Scott (who's primary development environment runs on Linux)

21. King Gamer

King Gamer

Actually, I have ran unity from wine. However you need to instal it in windows first as far as I know.

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Why do you want to run the editor under Linux when there isn't a Linux player for Unity? Would seem to me that you're better off building / testing in the same OS as what your target audience uses. Too bad there isn't anything like Parallels Desktop for Linux, that way you could run both OS's simultaneously.

23. Vert

Vert

VirtualBox, you can run any OS in Linux and it will be in its own little Window so in effect, its both at once.

And I would run the editor under Linux just because I like Linux and just because I would be able to. Besides, once you get the editor working, couldn't you run the compiled windows build in WINE as well? I think a community effort and support for WINE would be the best way for Unity to have Linux "support".

24. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

But if your intention is to build games that other people will play, then wouldn't you want to make sure it runs properly on the OS they use?

I'll give virtual box a look, thanks.

25. Vert

Vert

Oh yeah, Virtual Box also runs on any OS if I remember correctly, so you could run Linux inside of Windows, Linux in Mac, Mac in Windows etc etc. It's cool stuff, but when I tried it, the virtual OS ran slowly, but that could be because of the older computer I was on.

And yes, I would want to test and run it on the OS I know people would run it on. I would just run it in WINE just because I could kind of thing. I don't know why but WINE just amazes me in a sense that I would run any Windows only program in it just to say I ran it on Linux :D.

26. Swine

Swine

There is.
    http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/pd4wl/sr/

Supported Host Operating Systems
    Debian 5.0
    Fedora 11
    Mandriva 2009
    OpenSUSE 11.1
    RHEL 5.3
    SLES 11
    Ubuntu 9.04

27. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thanks Swine, didn't realize there was a Parallels for Linux. I just installed VirtualBox on an Ubuntu machine here, not nearly as easy to install and use as Parallels, but hey, it's free. Seems to run my stripped down XP Pro installation OK, but not enough graphics memory to run anything like Unity.

28. MarkFinn

MarkFinn

Wine 1.2 is out, and (under Ubuntu 10.4 at any rate) Unity3D works almost perfectly.

The create new project button in the "Open Recent Project" window doesn't work, but it does set up the folders.

The only other problem I've found is a tendency to regenerate the composed library more often than I'd expect.

29. Monty

Monty

Excellent news! I'll try it out now :)

30. Monty

Monty

Hmmmm I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm still not getting any progress beyond the installer... it still hangs on the registration part :-(

31. Monty

Monty

Ok I tried one last time and it worked. It isn't pretty but it worked. It certainly seems much slower under wine. I'll see if I can play with it some more and see.

WIP watch this space.

32. Monty

Monty

Wine 1.3 has recently been released anyone tried it out?

33. Vert

Vert

Sorry to resurrect this post but has anyone tried running Unity 3 under wine?

34. ArturMaciag

ArturMaciag

Works for me :)

Ubuntu 10.10, 64bit, wine 1.2.1

Installed from 'click' few minutes ago. Register online doesn't work, so I've registered manually.
    I'm total noob so I've checked only simple things, but it looks promising :)

Sometimes Inspector needs to be clicked to refresh.

35. lastphoenixstudios

lastphoenixstudios

I ran it fine in 32-bit 10.4 ubuntu but i couldn't get into an actual project, anyone got that working?

36. LukeNukem

LukeNukem

UP !!! Hi all.

I get to run on my Ubuntu Unity3D 10.04 (64bit). :D

The only big problem is that the movement of the mouse does not work in game.
    Do you have this problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks !
    (sorry for my english)

37. jakehaas

jakehaas

Sorry for dragging up an old thread... but I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the exact steps to get Unity running in wine.

I have been trying off an on for the past few days with little success... but it seems people here got it working :) sorta

Thanks

38. enyllief

enyllief

Bump.

Hmmm, shouldn't be difficult. You simply install Wine (if you don't have it installed) and then install Unity, worked fine here, without any additional settings. (BTW, unticked all the unnecessary options when installing Unity, web browser plugin etc. including.) Can you tell what your problem exactly is, so it can be troubleshot?

Unity3d working here, screenshot:

Some issues;
    * dragging dropping assets to import them doesn't work at all
    * windows needs to be refreshed/resized/etc. to be displayed correctly
    * lags a bit (horribly actually, at a tolerable level though)
    * new projects can't be created due to path problems, only opening works

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  39. Mixu

Mixu

Awesome!!!
    But I can't get it run correctly :(
    It opens and so, but when the interface is painted... it is like painting the things below the window over it :/
    Anyone with any suggestion?

Thanks!

40. The-Master

The-Master

I'm calling this thread back from its unholy grave to approve the point of my predecessor.
    It's still true with Unity 3.5 and Wine 1.5.17.

You'll just need to make the installation on Windows, but the application itself can run with Wine.
    Sadly, pretty much nothing renders. The menus are here, but that is all.

Wine outputs this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly (using GL renderer "GeForce 410M/PCIe/SSE2", version "2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.64").
    The direct rendering is of course enabled (proven by glxinfo from the lib32-mesa-demos package).

I suspect this might be an issue with the 32bits driver while using a 64bit OS.
    If someone had it working on 32 or 64bit I'm interested.

41. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Why in gods name would anyone try this . Wine has problems with basic programs, and even some popular games. Getting Unity to work would be a nightmare

42. selzero

selzero

I'm really hoping Wine works with Unity3D very soon. Windows 7 is on the way out and I dont want to have to use the next gen Apple / Microsoft offerings that look more like Android than an actual OS.

43. The-Master

The-Master

I don't get it. What does this has to do with anything ?
    Wine has problems with basic programs ? Wine also works to the perfection with a lot of not-so-basic programs.

Wine re-implements an incredibly huge part of the Windows API. And it does it pretty well.
    Everytime you try a new software on Wine, I'd say you have more or less three out of four chances that it will work just like it does on Windows. This also apply videogames. Seriously, it's getting pretty hard to find videogames that don't work on Wine... DirectX 10 sometimes has some issues but when you can disable the unsupported features it works great.

So no. It wouldn't be that hard to make Unity3d works on Wine.
    A single developer communicating with the Wine development team could probably perform such a feat in less than a month.