Search Unity

Problems after switching to 4.2 and after switching to new pc

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by eskovas, Jul 30, 2013.

1. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,

I've been encountering so many problems lately that i had to make this.

When i switched to Unity 4.2, the lighting system inside the editor window broke. The scene light keeps flickering many times per second like this:

$problem1.jpg

it stops flickering if i disable the button "toggles skybox, fog and lens flare effects".

After that i switched to a new more powerfull pc and more problems arrived.
    Now when i try to bake a lightmap with the same settings i had in the other pc (i think it generated 4-5 maps with total of ~30MB) and now it generates 65 maps with a total of 330MB.
    I also have a problem with occlusion culling, which craches whenever i try to bake it with the message "out of memory". It worked fine in the other pc and never crached.

I don't really want to send my 2+gb project as a bug report, and i haven't been able to replicate these problems in another project.
    Does anyone know if there is something i can do to fix this? or is there anyone with the same problems?
    I believe the problem is in the project folder, but i've seached and tried many things but nothing changed.

Thanks

Edit:
    I forgot another problem, Unity also craches whenever i try to switch to DirectX11 in the player settings.

Edit2:
    correction about the lightmapping: with the old pc and resolution of 5, it took about 1 hour to finish the bake and it generated 5 maps with total of 30MB, but now with the new pc and resolution of 1, it generates 65 maps with total of 330MB... I'm trying to bake with resolution of 5, but it has been baking the lightmap for more than 2 hours

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. eskovas

eskovas

Well after 4 hours, the lightmap finished baking while craching Unity with an "out of memory" error, saving 3420 lightmap textures with total of 1.13GB. needless to say that there is a problem with Unity... I also tried to re-einstall Unity but it didn't fix anything.
    Any thoughts about this?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. chrisall76

chrisall76

Have you tried deleting the lights then replacing them? May fix the problem.
    No clue about the other problems since I don't have Unity Pro.

Last time I had problems was a audio bug where audio would cut out, had to create a whole new project just to fix it.
    Don't know if that's something you would want to do though just for a fix that may work.

4. eskovas

eskovas

Yes i've tried to replace all lights, but it's still the same...

Strange thing is that before i switched to the new pc, the lightmap and occlusion culling worked. I already had the lights flickering problem when i switched to Unity 4.2 before i switched PCs.

Maybe i should try to create a new project and import everything again, but it's alot of work and no guarantee that it will work.

I wanted to see if anyone knows what's going on. right now i can't use occlusion culling and lightmapping in my game and that's really bad for me.

5. eskovas

eskovas

bump

I already tried 2 different things to see if i could fix this,

first i tried to create a new project and import everything to the new one and it didn't work.

then i tried to delete folder by folder to see if there was something wrong in the project folder and it didn't work again... I guess the problem is with Unity 4.2 and not the project, since i didn't have any of these problems before 4.2.

6. eskovas

eskovas

Well, since i haven't got an awnser, i guess there isn't a fix for this, so i decided to switch back to 4.1 and everything works again.
    I'll wait for the 4.2.1.

7. Silviu_00

Silviu_00

Hey,

Can you please submit a bug report with all the info and the project that is causing this ? In order to investigate the issue and provide a fix we need a repro project to test it against 4.1 where it works and also confirm that the fix is implemented in future releases so it would be helpful to get all the info into a report.

8. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,
    This was long overdue and sorry for taking so long to submit a bug report but i forgot and only remembered when 4.2.1 launched today.

Can someone from Unity confirm the same problems i'm having with the project?
    The bug report number is: 561141