Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts

Unity3D vs Fostbite3

to those yet unacquainted:

:

While of course Unity it "the peoples engine" - aimed at a wide array of uses, simplicity and low cost, vs Frostbite - the "big industry / large team, proprietary engine"

THE QUESTION:
    using unity, realistically, if you had a large team, would you be able to do the cool stuff shown in the above video (not just as tech demos of individual things, but of it all working together)

2. Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada(Not a fun place)
    Never heard of Fostbite.

No point in comparing.
    Cubey - Timing Based Puzzler
    UDS - Unity Debris System(Fracture/Destruction)

My Very Own Unity Tutorials
    http://youtube.com/Jiddabug21

Twitter: LostKeyGames
    Youtube http://youtube.com/LostKeyGames

3. Posts
    2D Infinite Runner Toolkit - feature complete and easy to use package
    2D Physics Puzzle Kit - Incredible Machine gameplay within Unity

My portfolio: www.acumen-design.de/blog - Contact: fabi@acumen-design.de

Once killed a thread by posting in it in size 1

4. Location
    Munich, Germany
    Frostbite isn't the "big industry / large team, proprietary engine" , it's the "EA exclusive engine"...
    Androidpimps.com
    Android Gaming News, Reviews and Specials

5. Location
    NZ
    no. unity got nothing on frostbite
    www.fingerbait.com :: Inferno - Multiplayer SciFi RTS :: Free Console

Don't mind me, I'm just a Negative Nancy.

6. Location
    USA
    Apart from the physics of things breaking apart into little pieces and flying all over etc, most of the rest of it could be done with the right shaders it seems? Maybe I am being naive.

But when will Unity get GPU-driven physics?
    Last edited by imaginaryhuman; 07-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    - ImaginaryHuman -

NEW Mouse Path Animator - Mouse movement recording/playback - only $15!
    NEW Animated Dissolves for Shader Forge - Starting at $10!
    NEW Refract2D - Realtime refractions, reflections, image-based lighting, image distortions - ON SALE $25!
    Also Gradient Shader Pack - Realtime-generated animatable gradients - $20.
    Also Shader Wizard - CG Shader Generator including photoshop-style multi-texturing - $20.
    Also Texture Helper - procedural texture/pixmap-handling scripts - $10.

7. Location
    NZ
    There's a truckload more than just graphics going on in frostbite. I would imagine its more of a tailored to FPS engine though.

8. Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
    THE QUESTION:
    using unity, realistically, if you had a large team, would you be able to do the cool stuff shown in the above video (not just as tech demos of individual things, but of it all working together)
    If you had the team, definitely.
    Unity is the tool to allow anyone and everyone to make just about anything, it depends on the artists. Obviously features aren't going to be specialized as they're in other engines, you're not going to get the same performance, easy functionality, and possibly left to create a lot of tools and plugins yourself to pull off anything similar.

It's like for our own project, we'd like to think our water is up their with the big titles. Unity never had this technology for us, but we created it ourselves.

Short answer, yes, long answer no, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Ben Massey; 07-29-2013 at 02:19 PM.

9. Location
    NZ
    Unity is too far behind in physics to compete, no matter the team size. I would say Unity is also a behind in DX11 features, but I cant really be sure if that statements correct.

Multiplayer... well... yeah...

GUI... what's this GUI you speak of...

Visuals... hard to say. I imagine Unity would get bogged down if you managed to push it to the visual level of FB2

BUT...

Unity is easy to use for us mere mortals.

10. Posts
    You can do this in unity but you might as well make your own engine or apply for a job at unity if you're gonna go through the trouble of rewriting their entire engine.

11. Location
    NZ
    lol cam.

Dont get me wrong, unity is great for what it is, but it cant even be put into the same category as frostbite2

12. Location
    California
    you could do this with Unity, but you would have to edit the engine.
    Could also be that the frostbite engine is developed by the same team that creates Battlefield so
    of course they know how to use the engine to the fullest.

13. Super Moderator
    Not possible without a source license and a lot of work for the following reasons:

1. completely replace unity's lighting pipeline and shadow system with geometrics enlighten
    2. completely renovate how meshes, textures and so forth are given to the engine - heavy streaming
    3. completely change how umbra works with unity to accept streaming data

The rest is doable within reason, but you aren't going to get close to what frostbite can do without a source license and a year's work, minimum. I'm a unity fanboy but I know it's limits.

Apart from the physics of things breaking apart into little pieces and flying all over etc, most of the rest of it could be done with the right shaders it seems? Maybe I am being naive.
    COMPLETELY naive, yeah. Unity can compete if you're doing a room or an enclosed area, but there's no way it can handle the data loads frostbite can nor can it match the lighting on anything except DX11, and even then it will struggle to keep up framerate wise. It's just not built for streaming.

Unity will also fail hard at trying to to GTA 5 even on a system 5 times stronger than a PS3. It'd have to load the entire world in and have a computer with around 8gb of ram plus the latest gpu/cpu. All because again, there's no streaming or management of data on demand. And you can't do that without a source license and heavy changes.

I would expect Unity 5 to address this (not being sarcastic).

Meanwhile Unity excels in level based games, it would probably do Halo 4 really, really well for instance, of course assuming same developer. Halo's areas are nicely divided up and carefully managed.
    Last edited by hippocoder; 07-29-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

14. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
    to those yet unacquainted:

While of course Unity it "the peoples engine" - aimed at a wide array of uses, simplicity and low cost, vs Frostbite - the "big industry / large team, proprietary engine"

THE QUESTION:

Very interesting responses so far.

One of the few times somebody isn't chewed out, talked down to, told to read the top sticky, or condescendingly dismissed for even suggesting that Unity can't do (right off the shelf) what another engine can do.

15. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    One of the main engine coders of frostbite is this wicked PhD that has several innovations to his name, mostly regarding streaming data, and the parallel processing of multiple streams of divergent data. I'm talking "whitepaper, yawn if you're still awake, drill down to the RISC level machine code." type optimizations that make what they're doing possible. Genuine bleeding edge stuff. Unity's innovations are in interface, cohesion, ease of use, toolchain, and content development. Two different arenas and I'd argue that each of these represent the state of the art in their respective fields.

16. Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Not really much of a comparison here... the two engines have totally different target markets.
    Unity is built to be the all-in-one general purpose engine to run games on all platforms, and this is their focus.

FrostBite is a Windows specific engine that is dedicated to making the games look, feel and sound as good as possible, making use of all the latest PC/console hardware at its disposal.

Two very different directions if you ask me.. not even sure why these two engines are even being compared..

17. Location
    NZ
    so, I hadnt actually watched the video at the top...

just did. pooped a little.

Definitely upgrading gfx card on release. Will give the wife my 6970. lol.

18. Location
    Uruguay
    Isn't an engine like that a bit useless without a big experienced team? And of course money to hire this team! Otherwise how can you bring out all that engine potential?
    For small devs it's a lot more useful to use unity, easy quick development and still great results!
    Last edited by dogzerx2; 07-29-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    HEY!... Visit dogzer's Assets Store (;っ˘▽˘)っ (Characters & more)

Oh, and my Google Plus.
    It has news and stuff! (About games of course)

"A nerd's work is never done....." (҂⌣̀_⌣́)

19. Location
    California
    It's built by the same developer that uses it, and a few of the EA team's are using it (like Bioware for ME4). So yea, a pretty experienced team
    is needed.

20. Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dogzerx2 View Post
    Isn't an engine like that a bit useless without a big experienced team? And of course money to hire this team! Otherwise how can you bring out all that engine potential?
    For small devs it's a lot more useful to use unity, easy quick development and still great results!
    Very misguided there old chap. Streaming technology makes being indie far easier, not harder. Streaming would allow a wasteful hobbyist much more potential than otherwise. Yes its a waste of power in the hands of an indie or hobbyist, and a true demonstration of power in teams. But you do not need more than one person to use this power.

It's got nothing to do with art materials in this case and everything to do with shunting boatloads of data.

But streaming is for really large worlds and MMOS!

...or it's for the last of us, where you can pack every single room full of detailed textures and interesting objects. Slenderman clones would be full of objects which would be scattered by the physics engine and saved.

In a hypothetical situation if I was going to integrate streaming into unity I'd do two things:

1. I'd have hints. Each area can hint what media and textures it might need. Could leverage umbra data to predict.

2. I'd have object impostors. In the editor, you specify what object the impostor is sourced from and treat the impostor much like a normal mesh: rotate it, scale it, etc. Then at runtime, this is all replaced with placeholder gameobjects and streaming brings the meshes in / textures in and out on demand. Relies on a decent hinting system.

In any case its doable in unity with a source license and a decent team to bring some streaming to it. It's a lot of work for unity.
    Last edited by hippocoder; 07-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast