Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did you pick unity over any other game engine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tuxdude143, Jul 28, 2013.

1. tuxdude143

tuxdude143

I picked it over game maker because game maker was just too damn hard when it came to making first person games!!!

2. squared55

squared55

It was the most n00b friendly 3D engine.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cross platform.

4. Exilarius

Exilarius

Maybe to try something different, As i've been using many game engines and grew tired in most of 'em.

5. Dothackking

Dothackking

It was the only one that i thought showed promise that didnt use some proprietary language

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Back in the day it was one of the few game engines on Mac that had a proper user interface. There were others that were purely libraries and codebases, and I didn't know what to do with those when just starting out. It was very easy to get into and very easy to figure out. The community was also very responsive and helpful.

7. ZJP

ZJP

And
    Unity3D is the best quality / price ratio

8. User340

User340

I would have to think back roughly 7 years or so, I was circulating through game engine after game engine. Went from Dark Basic to the 3D game maker and was never satisfied. Until one day I stumbled upon Unity and despite being a noob, was actually able to make progress. It was that ability to make progress that got me into it.

9. Aguy

Aguy

Cross platform capabilities. Can't take over the world unless you're everywhere.

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

Because of the cool dark Pro UI skin...

11. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

+1

12. HolBol

HolBol

It was because it was easy to use, meaning I could make what I wanted. Instead of lumbering round a clunky interface, Unity was instant making. You could just start straight a way.

13. XilenceX

XilenceX

After 3 years of using UDK making the switch was kind of hard for me. However it was well worth it, because there is lots of new cool stuff coming out for Unity all the time in the form of Updates and Plugins. That's just not the case for UDK anymore, or even any other Engine I am aware of. Obviously there will be an UE4 version of UDK eventually, but with realtime global illumination gone... it doesn't really promise anything that I would need and don't have in Unity 4.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T

Because it was the first 3d game engine in which I was ever able to make a game.
    (A very basic amateurish one meant only for my own computer but I still finished it)

Was lost and going nowhere in the world of C++ and Ogre and Irrlicht (Irrlicht wasn't too bad actually) before I found Unity

15. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Asset Store, finding all the cool stuff on there made me switch. Still finding stuff after months.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

1. Ease of use.
    2. Cross paltform
    3. Dedication to supporting all platforms

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I didn't really choose it over other game engines, it is just one of the game engines I use. It just depends on the needs of the project.

18. GiusCo

GiusCo

One year apprenticeship with Corona SDK in 2011 and then full throttle (hobbyist / coding casual freelancer) with Unity 3D. Best time vs quality and costs to me.

19. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

+1
    For 3D games I use unity.
    For 2D games, I use my own custom engine.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  20. kalamona

kalamona

Actually it is very similar to an old (10y at least) Hungarian 'homebrew' engine that was used by the company I began my game development career, that was called GD. The whole structure with its "prefabs" and "components" is very similar (there they were called "bricks" and "actions" in GD), except that Unity is like 100* more advanced, stable, flexible and user-friendly. When I began using Unity I felt immediately "at home".

21. CoffeeOD

CoffeeOD

1) Community
    Found already alot help without even asking single question, usually community is friendly and helpful.

2) Asset Store
    For someone who cant draw/model anything, asset stores is very valuable for making my first game with all the models, GUI skins, effects, environment packs etc..

3) Noob friendly
    It was quite easy to start learning Unity, within first day I was already tweaking my particles and that for noob like me that was awesome feeling, "yay, fire is blue, omg, Im wizard".

Once I told myself "Im not making game in a week", I started enjoying Unity more as I could take my time to learn Unity.

22. DarkRabbit

DarkRabbit

Because it's n00b friendly and free.

23. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1

Mainly to the community, i've been on the other engine forums and none of them even compare to the community base unity has. it makes such a difference.

24. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Ease of use. Similar to noob friendly but a bit different. Even if someone is really skilled with multiple engines, Unity is just easier to use. Some engines might be more powerful (at least out of the box) but it's harder to do more basic stuff. Also I like the licensing system, mostly because I don't ever have to pay Unity royalties no matter what I'm doing.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

I picked it back in 2007 (I think) because the Editor ran on Macs and could deploy on Windows, Mac and web browsers. And Joachim Ante gave me a nice demo at WWDC in the games BOF,

26. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

i honestly dont even remember how i heard about or chose Unity, it just feels like I've always been using it now ;)

i was starting to get into some pygame stuff before I found out about Unity, probably from reddit or something.

27. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Multiplatform.
    Asset Store.

Began using Unity in 2008.

28. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Because I could have a first person prefab walking on a terrain I created in under 30 seconds. That sold me...and I have been struggling ever since.)

29. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

I was looking for an excuse to buy a Mac...

Make no mistake though, unity has served me well.

30. dxcam1

dxcam1

1) easily editable with C++ extensions and C#.
    2) multiplatform

I just wish it was more useful for 2D games, barely worth using in that front I usually just program from scratch in whatever language I'm in the mood for.

31. BTStone

BTStone

Go and get 2DToolkit. It will solve most of your problems ;)

@Topic:

- Ease of Use
    - Great Support Documentation / Great Community / Asset Store (tons of Tutorials, Scripts and Editor Extentions)
    - Multiplatform

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's senseless to roll your own 2D engine. You'll sink in no time if it's cross platform (and you're actually wanting to make money). Just use 2D Toolkit.

33. mossyblog

mossyblog

Tooling. The production pipeline is as important as the features the SDK has to offer. I also made my choice given other devs I work with work in c# outside of Unity day in day out...so it fits..

34. Demigiant

Demigiant

- Cross-platform
    - Coding system language (C# for me, but UnityScript is also cool, compared to other engines)
    - Malleable engine
    - Easy-to-do (relatively) custom editors

35. tonyd

tonyd

I picked Unity because it supported multiple programming languages, was multi-platform, and had a powerful built-in GUI system.

One of my few complaints with Unity is that they never released the 2D engine that was once on the agenda. Third party plug-ins work for a lot of people, but I want an internal solution that doesn't require me to create sprite sheets or work in 3D space.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  36. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

That and:
    4) Future proofing projects with the multi-platform support philosophy of the company.
    5) Very good licensing terms for distribution, including non-profit distribution.
    6) At the time, one of the only engines with a 'good' free version available to test.

37. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Because never before I could get things done so far with other game engine!

38. tylernocks

tylernocks

Community and Deployment to Linux, Mac and Wii U

39. marcoantap

marcoantap

I was building my own game engine and found that Unity had the same multi-platform goal that I had, as well as many other amazing features. Without Unity I would be developing in my own engine today :D

40. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

PlayMaker

41. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

The reason I looked at Unity:
    • It was free
    • Develop using C# and .Net framework.

The reason I fell in love with Unity:
    • Speed of development
    • The community. Overwhelming helpfulness and criticism when it is required.
    • The asset store. Saves weeks on development time
    • Cross platform.
    • It is just so much fun to make games!!!

The reason I hate Unity

• All my free time spent tinkering with games
    • The damned Summer Madness sales have cost me a small fortune :grin:

42. Sadiue

Sadiue

Imagine scrolling through Google looking for 3d game making engines opening pretty much all of them then deleting the tabs after you downloaded them
    then uninstalling the ones that didn't work it narrowed it down to unity

43. tatelax

tatelax

I didn't pick Unity. Unity picked me.

44. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I was previously a BlitzMax programmer, it kind of stagnated over the past few years and there was no WISYWIG editor. I still like it for 2D and some tools etc but it was clearly limited in the graphics department and hacking about with my own `engine` was time consuming. I did not like Unity at first, I thought the interface was unoriginal and didn't work the way I wanted to, but it's grown on me, or vice versa. The amount of time saved by all the stuff that Unity does for me, all of the engine features and systems which I would never have been able to build on my own, is huge. So much less programming needed, so much less tedious painful stuff.. it really does take a lot of the pain out of development. There are still many things I wish it did different or better but it's a huge leap up and really, there's no turning back.

45. BigDaz

BigDaz

The subject of Unity comes up quite often on other engine forums. I tried it a few years ago mainly because of the hype and while it was pleasant enough to use it didn't appear to do anything different to the competition. It was only when I started recently going through the new video tutorials and actually using it that it clicked, and I could see why people rave about it. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur but I have confidence in actually finishing a project with Unity.

46. Hesham

Hesham

1. C# as a language
    2. Playmaker
    3. The Asset Store