Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[fighting game] Kinetic Damage [Released]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by n0mad, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Which real martial art would you love to master ?

1. Muay Thai

54 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Ninjutsu

76 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Taekwondo

35 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Tai Chi Chuan / Qi Gong Jin

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Jeet Kun Do

30 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Pencak Silat

8 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Boxing

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Shaolin Kung Fu

77 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. I don't like martial arts / fighting games

26 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. n0mad

n0mad

I forbid myself any excitement until everything is finished rock solid :p
    (or I'll just implode of joy too much and wouldn't be able to be focused anymore, lol)

2. golden_gate

golden_gate

Combo Freak and Breath Cutter look great... I really like the ideal of having to "pay the price" if you fail ... hence the "lost of skill" on the next event;);)

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I like the mmo style debuffs.

4. n0mad

n0mad

That's a tough design decision I had to make, as nowadays everything is going away from penalizing the player for failing :)
    Anyway not all events actually do trigger such a penallty, so it's up to the player to chose which kind of risk/reward he wants to deal with ;-)
    But for sure, every single event has a "price to pay" ! (if it's not stat loss on fail, it's an admission price to pay)
    There's only one event which is risk free, without any consequence on losing :

$career5.png

No risk, no exotic fight rules, but a tiny prize. This is basically your way to get some money to suscribe to events when your purse is empty ;-)

Another sample of funny rules :

$career4.png

Thanks Hippo !
    If you like the regular mmo mechanics, you'll find yourself in known waters with Kinetic Damage ;-)
    It is basically that : MMO rules meet a fighting game.

5. n0mad

n0mad

Now let's tease a bit about how you can control your partner, when he/she's fighting :

$PartnerUI.png

reminder about AI "mind" stats (don't forget to check the subtitles button) :

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. n0mad

n0mad

Today is the day of Buck Bottleneck Metacortex official release, the soundtrack for Kinetic Damage ! Available on all digital platforms !
    Check out the link, or your favorite digital music store, for an original, pumpin, upliftin experience !

The soundtrack is exploring the uplifting oldschool flavor from 90's games like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, all while adding a very personal, original, futuristic mood.

[iTunes link]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  7. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Yeah, the RPG-lite elements are actually quite cool. I watched the AI demo from July and the game looks really smooth with tight animation, fantastic overall. I hadn't been following this title's development, but the first impression most any gamer is going to get is that it looks polished and like a "real" game (rather than a small production). That only bodes well for sales ;). I am looking forward to further progress and wish you the best upon release. Edit: Now I watched the one a couple posts above this... very well done!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. xxShark

xxShark

Wow.. I'm gonna have to try this is some of my applications.. cause I love Dictionaries and Lists

9. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you IcyPeak :)
    The "final touch" is shaping up nicely, and I intend to submit Kinetic Damage to Apple at the end of October. While they will be validating it, I'll produce more videos to show everything that has not been unveiled yet ;-)

Feel free :) Also, as Izitmee pointed out, that custom List is only an advantage for intensive Contains() use. For anything else related to linear parsing (like foreach), the native List<T> is better.

10. n0mad

n0mad

:)

$TitleScreen2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wohoooo!!! Don't know what happened, but I didn't get updates for a long time. I see a lot has happened, and all good (your AI commentaries are my all-time favorites, and extremely interesting). Oh, and I love the superstylish screen just above :)

12. Kyena

Kyena

Wow that looks pretty ace..I am a huge UFC/MMA fan so I am keeping an eye on this :)

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

FREAKING EPIC, NOMAD!!! Please port this to Android... I am breaking out the kneepads...

14. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you all :)

15. Demigiant

Demigiant

while(true) ++above;

(ok, so now I made my first coding "joke" too :B)

16. n0mad

n0mad

Some news !
    I successfully established a connection between 2 different Unity players, using device discovery within a clean interface.
    It's kind of fun to connect a Mac client to a Windows client under the same game :p I wonder if I'll be able to connect an Android client with an iOS client ... that's interesting to say the least :)

So now, only is left infight synchronization between devices ... and ... Kinetic Damage will be clear for a release !

I think the mindset will please Martial Art competition enthusiasts (tactical discipline oriented combats, martial art showoff), and MMA lovers aswell (strategies, zoning, etc).

Thank you :) I really have to make that final trailer video asap ! Because I didn't show the most "different" things about this game yet (mechanics).

LOL, nice one :p
    Well, unfortunately, I cannot assure that Android version will be released as soon as iOS one, for a bunch of technical/business reasons. I got the tools to release it, so it will be in the future, but with a bit of delay I think :/

17. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Funny to read this post today =)

18. n0mad

n0mad

Yeah, I miss Higgy's posts :/

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

:( there's no smile crying

20. pandabear00x

pandabear00x

Still awaiting this :)

When do you think it will be released?

21. n0mad

n0mad

Hi ! And thanks for your interest :)

I will submit the game in the end of December, so it arrives on the appstore at the start of January, right after the Christmas promotion madness :)
    I'm also compiling a whole fresh trailer right now, will submit it to youtube in a few minutes ^^

About the game : actually only is left a few multiplayer routines to pack up, but I'm waiting for Alljoyn (the Qualcomm device discovery solution) to be released for Unity iOS to continue. They plan to release it before end of year. I created a thread on their forum to check every day when the package is coming out. If it takes too long, I will fall back to my own system.
    The advantage of this framework over mine is that you wouldn't have to be connected to any Wifi hotspot to find other players. Right now with my homebrew system, you have to connect to a hotspot, as I didn't have the network knowledge (and time) to create a multiplatform Wifi adhoc solution.

But as you'll soon see in the forthcoming trailer, everything is going on very well :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  22. n0mad

n0mad

DAMAGE.

23. Lord Darkshayde

Lord Darkshayde

You sir are an inspiration to all of us indie game developers. I applaud your dedication and the game just looks gorgeous. I believe if you really tried you could compete with some of the big name fighting games (and you should try if this is as successful as I believe it could be). Once again, major props sir and may the wealth (both monetary and spiritual) flow your way!

24. MABManZ

MABManZ

Everything looks great but I couldn't help but notice no mention of Android :( Any release timeline for the Android release?

25. n0mad

n0mad

Those are very kind words, thank you a lot, Lord Darkshayde :)
    I hope you will have as much fun to play Kinetic Damage as I had to build it.
    /bow

Hi Mab, don't worry, the project is still ready to be launched on Android, but as I don't have an official date for iOS yet (around start of January for sure), and since I want to see how well it works on iOS first, I didn't want to mention Android in the trailer. I will redo one when it launches on iOS, with a precise date (as Google allows us to set the release date, unlike Apple).
    There will be no need for additional work, as my workspace is on PC, therefore Android natively ^^
    It should follow the iOS release very closely, like a matter of a few weeks.
    To tell you how much I'm intending to release it on Android : the platform is the reason why I'm waiting for Qualcomm's Alljoyn Unity framework to be released, or I would have used Prime 31's iOS device discovery solution :)
    With Alljoyn, an iOS device would be able to play against an Android one (well, this is also possible with my current homebrew solution, but you have to connect to a hotspot first, which sucks imo :/)

But right now there is so much demand on Android for KD, that don't worry, I will release it on the Google platform ;-)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  26. golden_gate

golden_gate

An amazing trailer. The combination of the fight scenes, UI, features, and music make it very powerful. Great job!

27. Demigiant

Demigiant

Watching all the trailer and all the stuff you put together, I have to say that now the thing that impresses me most is not the fighting anymore. Instead, it's the incredible amount of content! There's more stuff in there than in any AAA fighting game ever made! I bow to that, and good luck ;)

28. n0mad

n0mad

29. n0mad

n0mad

Incredible news that I didn't suspect at all :

Kinetic Damage is running very smoothly on iPhone 3GS (30fps).
    Seems like these years of obsessive technical optimizations are finally paying of.

30. n0mad

n0mad

31. Tae

Tae

Just curious, did you have to fix anything Unity wise to get the game fitting on the iPhone 5's bigger screen ?

32. n0mad

n0mad

Using a mix of [Screen.width/Screen.height] (for personal scripts) and NGUI, so the game is adapting to every resolution :)

33. n0mad

n0mad

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

35. n0mad

n0mad

- "Kinetic Damage features a futuristic visual style and some brilliant animation work."

Thank you Droidgamers :)

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.ph...ng-game-kinetic-damage-coming-early-next-year

_____

Some news !

- Created a new game mechanic : Dashing Forward interrupt. This will be Kinetic Damage's very own builtin counter :) More info ingame :p

- Finished the network synchronization during fights, now I can say we're a couple of weeks away from submission :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  36. n0mad

n0mad

I wish you all a happy new year :)

$HappyNewYear1.png

$HappyNewYear2.png

$HappyNewYear3.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

38. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Kashif :) Wish you the best !

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Same with you... you have been my biggest inspiration for 2011-2012

40. Cheburek

Cheburek

very impressive, dude!

Are you working alone on this project?

41. n0mad

n0mad

This is an honor, thanks :)

Absolutely, and this is why it took so long to make, but it was a very enriching experience :)

42. Cheburek

Cheburek

wow you are my hero!

43. jaelove

jaelove

44. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you guys :) I'm working my ass off to finish that last bit of multiplayer synchronization so you can play it this month ... multiplayer synchronization is such a pain in fighting games !

@Jaelove : thanks, that's some truly impressive work you got there ! I wish you great success !

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I will definitely need to learn that part... multiplayer...

46. jaelove

jaelove

Thank you it's very early in development only 4 months so a lot will change but I'll be using your tips for this game congrats on finishing your project

47. Arkgain

Arkgain

Excuse me n0mad, there is something I would like to ask that probably from all Unity community that only you could know, it would drag a little and the answer would help me what is possible system I can create for my game, if it is OK can I ask for some kind of contact with you? Thanks!

48. n0mad

n0mad

Hi Arkgain,
    You're welcome to ask me any question :)

49. n0mad

n0mad

A quick update, to inform everyone that Kinetic Damage's multiplayer model is based on GGPO. That's why it's taking a bit longer to implement :)

This model is highly popular in the hardcore fighting game community, as it suppress the traditional input lag you experience in other games.

It's clearly the hardest anti-lag model to implement, as it requires periodically saving the game's state without killing the CPU/Memory, while redeploying it on a distant client with absolute precision.

But the good news is I managed to make it work ... which makes Kinetic Damage officially ready for Online multiplayer, with an extremely small input lag. Online multi won't be available at release, but its integration will be studied shortly depending on the game's public reception.

Here is a well known article about GGPO, from another great fighting game, Skull Girls :
    http://skullgirls.com/2011/09/skullgirls-ggpo-and-you/

For reference, GGPO is what's used by Street Fighter X Tekken, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition, and Skullgirls.
    Traditionial Input Delay is what's used by Street Fighter 4 (and any other fighting game, really).
    AAA studios tend to adopt GGPO model more and more.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  50. Aldo

Aldo

I had this thread bookmarked for the last month, today I saw page by page and only thing I can say is
    YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
    I mean, you been working hard every day for the last 4 years, you have shown us a great review of your progress.
    And well I wish you the best of the luck!!

Also just tell us when its finally out
    you got 1 sell here :D