Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[fighting game] Kinetic Damage [Released]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by n0mad, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Which real martial art would you love to master ?

1. Muay Thai

54 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Ninjutsu

76 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Taekwondo

35 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Tai Chi Chuan / Qi Gong Jin

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Jeet Kun Do

30 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Pencak Silat

8 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Boxing

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Shaolin Kung Fu

77 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. I don't like martial arts / fighting games

26 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. n0mad

n0mad

Hey guys, I would be glad to share a whole discussion about tips and techniques for hours and pages with you, but if we may not hijack this thread too much it'd be cool :)
    (don't hesitate to start a thread in Support/Scripting forums, or even send me a PM for specific questions, I'll reply with pleasure)

Of course a lot of martial arts are missing (Viet vo dao, Vale tudo, Jiu Jitsu, Hapkido, etc), I picked the ones that inspired me the most, and which weren't interfering too much with others. So that in the end, we have clearly different styles / personalities. Things are not set in stone, though, for a future expansion ;-)

Yes this solution is fitting well too, I guess, because you seem to have a lot of boxes, so no real need to change their scale/rotation.
    Although, the more box colliders you'll have, the more performances will be hit ^^

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. n0mad

n0mad

Hey there you thread, long time no see ! ^^

Here is a second hand video showing a bunch of regular strikes :

And some new screenshots :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  3. n0mad

n0mad

I just wanted to take a break to present you a small teaser about a documentary that will go out this Spring.
    It's about Mike Ross, a Street Fighter top player who's making his way to the most famous Fighting Game championship : EVO.

There are a lot of videos about fighting game players, but I found this one presented very, very well the ambience of the Fighting Game Scene.
    Good Fighting Games are not about just mashing random buttons and waiting for the opponent to come, and Mike explains it very well :)

Enjoy :

4. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

looks great! i can't wait to play it :)

5. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks Ratonmalo :)
    Currently, I'm animating all the combos (6 different "normal hit" combos per fighting style, each going from 3-hit to 5-hit, and each hit being a separate movement).
    Once this is done (in less than a month I guess), I'll go with the special moves, then the interface, polishing and it will be ready for testing + release.

I know it's been a goddamn loooooooong time since the project started (20+ monthes), and it could have lost the discovery effect of the first monthes. But I never stopped working since then, to provide something really polished.
    To the point where I'm quitting my job on 14th april to give me enough time to finish everything in time.

Also, I promised 2 years ago to provide a game that would feel different from other fighting games : I think this promise will be held. Can't unveil too much details for now, but I hope people will enjoy this game as much as I'm enjoying making it, and soon playing it ;-)

I'll post a video of combos in some weeks.
    Cheers, see you very soon !

(and all my heart to Japan)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. crafTDev

crafTDev

If you don't mind me asking, why are you quitting your job? Is this an all or nothing project? Is there a backup plan?

Anyways, I'm kind of in the same boat, with my project going on 10 months now..because of my job of course, but Ive watched this project since last year and it has become something of a marvel to see.

7. afalk

afalk

This looks fantastic -- very excited for you on this and loved the WIP info!

8. n0mad

n0mad

Hello Ricky :)
    It's not really an all or nothing project, but for 2 years I had no more social life because of it (working day from 10:00 to 18:00 on dayjob, then night from 19:00 to 02:00 on Kinetic Damage, except on week ends). I saved some backup funds all this time, so it lets me have this opportunity to both completely focus on the project final packaging, and have some time with my girl and friends :)
    The best "life setup" to finish a game as best as I can, in short.

I feel for you. The hardest part to manage is that the more the project runs on the timeline, the harder it is to keep that fresh motivation we had on first monthes. Some days it feels like a monotonous routine, and some others this initial impulse suddenly reborns for no apparent reason. But in the end, efforts always pay ;-)
    I wish you the best for your project (looks cool and innovative, really), keep it up ^^

Thank you Afalk, when it will be finished I'll do some reorganisation in the first posts so that people won't have to browse pages to find info.

9. crafTDev

crafTDev

This is exactly what I'm doin, but sometimes I have to put off things for family matters, need to spend with girlfriend or daytime workload is too much that I barely even have time for rest. I'm also planning on quitting job AFTER release though since I definitely don't have much funds saved up as you seem to do to carry me for a few months...

Glad I'm not the only one to be feeling this. I would've been done with this app like last year if it wasn't for work and such. The motivation is high in the first few months then fluctuates for the rest...everytime my day job stresses me out though, there is a spark in motivation to get it finished so I can move on...

But you can chalk me up for someone that will be supporting this really well made app :)

10. n0mad

n0mad

I think we're in the exact same boat, it's like I'm reading my whole life since 2009 in your previous post lol ^^
    Yeah social life is dead for me too, and I sleep 6 hours at most each night. Quitting your job after release is the safest way to handle the game. I was planning to do that too at first, but like you I have an ultra stressful job, and couldn't handle its pressure added to the game anymore.

Same here. I'll use this game to bump my carreer toward a different domain than Flash games.
    I found some personal tricks to help revive my motivation when necessary, like playing all the latest fighting games, let myself get inspired by other's Unity works, or just taking a break for days. But in the end the best trick was directly tied to working : being ultra-rigorous (= banishing laziness), methodic, planning everything to fit the best that I could do, or even re-working totally some details that didn't convinced me at first.
    In short, being a workaholic :)
    It slowly built myself a secured path on which I could rely, and finally relaxed me more than if I had some other distractions, because I knew I had less and less to worry about the game foundations.

I really understand how workaholics can have severe troubles to distract themselves other than with work, now :p

Thanks pal, we indies need support for sure :)

Don't lose faith in yourself, there will be a good ending some day !

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This game is shaping up very well...and i love how well animated it is for a handheld fighter...

12. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Combos! great! are you adding a combo breaker later to your system?

Thanks for your comment. all here is coming hard but the time clean the past :)

13. n0mad

n0mad

I don't really know yet, as I already put a cap on max hits per chain, coupled with the fact that combos couldn't be performed too often.
    They will be a deliberate (rewarding) tactical choice from the player, so being able to break them easily could be frustrating :/
    I will decide it after some tests :)

I donated to Red Cross, hoping it will not fall into bad pockets ^^
    I really hope Tokyo will go well.

14. n0mad

n0mad

15. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

the site looks great! i can't wait to the summer to get it :)

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm curious but, what is the story behind Kinect Damage?

17. n0mad

n0mad

That's an excellent question, because in fact there is no story :)
    There is a background though, which is an open competition led by a biomechanics corporation to promote their technology.
    But this is just an excuse which I assume totally, as I never found fighting games stories really useful. Most of the time we end up mashing "skip" during intros and outros, overwhelmed by the need to fight.
    In this game the real story is the same as yours : Your avatar wants to fight, and he/she wants to fight now. May you be in the streets, in your bed, at work, in the toilets... You submit a license to fight, and the corporation takes care of the rest, connecting you to the nearest fight node matrix.

Meanwhile, I've seen how exciting a story can be when properly thought in a fighting game, with the latest EA's Fight Night.

I don't know. For now Kinetic Damage won't be meaningless fights either as there will be an exploration phase, a customization phase and a personal learning companion. But a real story in solo mode could bring some additional emotions.

It's kind of difficult not to fall into boring generic themes (world domination, evil fighting, etc) because fighters are completely customizable. So there is no specific fighter story that could be juiced, which is why I wanted to keep it very simple.

But there is some potential to make interesting stuff with such a world.

I'll mature this out, thank you for bringing the question to me :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  18. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

mmm file cards for all characters sound interesting. other step for make Kinetic Damage a big professional game! great idea Neptune_Imaging

19. n0mad

n0mad

I am honored to present you an awesome gift that Maxon, the makers of Cinema 4D, has made :

A full customer story about the making of Kinetic Damage !

Cinema 4D was used in all the 3D modelling and animation process during Kinetic Damage development, and I don't regret it a single second :)

The tool is a gem, really. Powerful, accessable, very instinctive interface... I've tried a lot of 3D tools in my life, but honestly, this one have my preference by a far margin.

20. n0mad

n0mad

So, I've quit my dayjob yesterday to focus fully on Kinetic Damage until September.

Also, to keep the mood connected to each featured martial art, I'll regularly post videos of real life representations of these, followed by what I could possibly analyze from it and inject into Kinetic Damage.

This week, I'm working on Taekwondo combos.
    Today, let me present you a very cool and technical match I've found on youtube, about ITF TaeKwonDo.

It is kind of hard to enjoy every second of this match if you never practiced TKD, because most of the time fighters are just lecturing themselves. I guess TKD practitioners will foresee why there's so much hesitation, which is in fact baiting for the opponent to make a mistake.
    A good analogy is Street Fighter IV championships. When you see some of those matches videos, a non SF4 player could find it boring. But an experienced one will see each move, may it be a semi crouch, a fake focus attack, or even a one step forward walk as a booming plethora of possible outcomes in the next 3 seconds.

Here, it's what is all about taekwondo, and what I should transcribe into Kinetic Damage for the TaeKwonDo style :
    - High body flexibility
    - Reasonably high speed (in the video fighters are small heighted and lightweighted, hence the ultra speed)
    - Space management
    - Constant movement
    - Lecturing times
    - Booming, explosive shots
    - Dominance of kicks over punches (when trained sufficiently, they're safer on block and have longer range, for the same launching time as a full punch)
    - Highly tactical (we can't really judge in this video, but in TKD, every limb position counts. For example, the sole fact that your opponent is facing the opposite stance as yours can change a whole fight. That's why sometimes you can see TKD fighters just switching stance after seconds of lecturing).

When things will be all ready ingame (there's already a lot of things implemented, but not everything yet), I'll make real presentation videos that will explain better how this was transcribed.

Enjoy, and have a good day :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Loving this project.

22. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Hippo :)

23. JasonWIR

JasonWIR

I love your contact effects when someone gets hit. I would love to know how you do that or are those just 2D texture effects?

24. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks ! Yup, these are 2 quads with a 30° Z-axis offset :)
    I had a hard time to find the right look for them, as when they are too complicated, we don't feel any impact, and when too simple, they feel too cartoonish :/

25. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Congratulations for the Maxon Story :)

The Game looks amazing, any plan of a secret character? or is too much for now?

26. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks, actually there are not specific characters, as you completely customize yours (think more like MMOs character philosophy).
    But there will be many things to go hunt for, you can be sure of that :)
    The whole inbetween-combats interface was just thought to let the player free of his decisions, and reward him from searching stuff. Can't really unveil details for now, but you can count on that :)

27. n0mad

n0mad

Krav Maga (Wikipedia) ( /ˌkrɑːv məˈɡɑː/; Hebrew: קרב מגע‎, IPA: [ˈkʁav maˈɡa], lit. "contact combat") is aneclectic hand-to-hand combat system developed in Israel that involves striking techniques, wrestling andgrappling, mostly known for its extremely efficient and brutal counter-attacks, and is taught to regular andspecial forces in Israel. It was derived from street-fighting skills developed by Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler.

Let's see one of the most impressive show reel I found on youtube :

It's brutal, quick, and ultra-reactive. We can also see that the Krav Maga practitioner doesn't really attack, but bait for a hole in the defence instead. Besides the very obvious and complex counter-attacking system, base strikes do have a slightly different role than in any other martial art, too. Jabs and kicks are not a start/end of attack anymore. They are a bridge toward the land of grappling.

Traducing the Krav Maga features to gamedesign is kinda obvious here, as it's a very specific martial art :
    - Close combat, which means close-ranged strikes.
    - Swiftness, in order to penetrate into enemy's close quarters as fast as possible.
    - Once a grappling is made, it's impossible to escape. Which means multiple, bone-breaking grappling chains.
    - Base strikes are not based on strength, but more on baiting. Which means lower strength on regular strikes, but superior damage on grappling.
    - Used to fight in very close quarters, Krav Maga fighters must have a high health pool to face more enemy strikes than usual. Which also means higher recovery from light wounds.
    - Savagery. Krav Maga is litterally violent, brutal and can even be gruesome due to bone open breaks. Some particular strikes will be like seeing a furious lion unleashing all its anger to its prey.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  28. n0mad

n0mad

Nin-Jutsu :
    " The main character nin (忍) is a phono-semantic compound composed of two greater characters. The upper character ha or jin (刃) is the phonetic indicator; its meaning of "edge of the sword" is therefore irrelevant here. The lower character kokoro or shin (心) means "heart" or "soul". The compound means "stealth", "secrecy", "endurance", "perseverance", and "patience". Jutsu (術) means "art" or "technique". " (from Wikipedia)

In one word : agility.

Most Ninjutsu clubs do focus more on self defense and counter-grappling, according to online videos. Maybe because real attacks are intended to be deadly, as Ninjutsu was the combat discipline of japanese assassins during feudal times.
    Also, Kinetic Damage is a global championship where no weapons are allowed, so we will focus here on the unarmed portion of Ninjutsu : Taijutsu.

Videos of what could come close to Taijutsu fighting on a full scale are a pain to find on the net, so I tried a movie oriented approach for visual acrobatics.
    Here is a video of Scott Adkins training wireless for the movie "Ninja" (2009) :

Adkins skills are fantastic, and express prefectly how I feel Ninjutsu could be introduced in an official fighting championship, minus grappling :
    - Acrobatics. The way Ninjutsu delivers a strike is based on swiftness, so that the enemy won't be able to grab or hit the Ninja before his strike has landed. Acrobatics are an awesome way of respecting this philosophy, as you can't touch an unpredictable swirly flying ball. Before you realize where is the head/plexus to counter-attack, this ball has already deployed to a full strike to your vital organs.
    - Speed. In order to counter balance those complex acrobatics, Ninjutsu practitioner must have a ridiculously high execution speed. It can be so high that visually, it may nearly be taken as a teleport.
    - A rain of fire. Making an acrobatic strike can be exhausting, so the other way around to keep pressure on the enemy is to deliver multiple hits in a very short time span.
    - Deadly. Ninjas were assassins, let's not forget, who wanted to kill with the least possible number of movements.
    This will be respected by allowing Ninjutsu practitioners to deliver some particular health-altering strikes.

Attached Files:

29. marcos

marcos

haha I train at the place in the second half of that video

30. n0mad

n0mad

Heh, it's a small world :p

31. n0mad

n0mad

Where most martial arts only take the "Martial" part of the word seriously, Shaolin Kung Fu also takes "Arts" to higher grounds.
    With more than 15 different inner styles, each having its own philosophy, this could be the most complex and complete martial art on earth.

Let's get it straight : Shaolin monks are training all day, during all their lives. Reinforcing their body with unthinkable treatments, studying hundreds and hundreds of different strikes, pushing their own limits further every day, this is how they chose to live. They turn themselves into a lethal human weapon in order to defend their tranquility, and live in peace.
    But what a weapon ...

Here is a nice presentation of some of the 15 styles :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUb0jIa3WIA

What I have selected between the hundreds of ways to illustrate Shaolin Kung Fu :
    - Discipline. You can be free to chose the strike you want to launch, but the more you will respect the laws of your Art, the more powerful you will become during the fight.
    - More than one style. This is how you will become more powerful : adopting an alternate style, if you fulfill certain conditions.
    - High combo capability. Unleashing forms in the heart of the fight.
    - High resistance. Becoming as hard as a rock, the Shaolin Kung Fu fighter can endure big strikes for a short time span.
    - Close range. The fighter can switch to superior physical conditions thanks to discipline and complex forms, but at the price of range. At least, for the base style.

Attached Files:

32. sawfish

sawfish

If you don't mind answering, I'm curious how many bones you use in your humanoid? Despite being stylized and what I would consider low poly (even though they don't look it), they seem to have pretty amazingly smooth animations.

Any info on that would be appreciated.

33. n0mad

n0mad

Hello, It'll be a pleasure to answer : I started with 52 bones per char, but reduced it to 46.
    Models are "kind of" low poly (400-500 polys in C4D, 1400-1600 tris under Unity), but I'm not fully satisfied with their look. I think I'm gonna add normal maps for latest mobile hardwares.

Thanks for the animations, they are by far the hardest part of the job, because of a lot of rules to respect while keeping an impression of freedom.
    There are actually 619 different animations between the 8 fighting styles, each lasting 0.5 to 2 seconds, and I think the final release will have approximately 800.

34. sawfish

sawfish

Wow, that seems like a lot! There are between 31 and 39 in my next game's characters, and with 3-4 characters on screen at a time the frame rate dips pretty dramatically. Are you doing any special optimizations on the models to prevent this? Does Mesh/Skin Rendering take up a good chunk of your CPU on the phones?

35. n0mad

n0mad

I guess I would face the same problem with 2 more chars on screen :)
    I didn't put any direct optimization on the models except caring about the poly number and merging all the meshes with the CombineInstance Unity class. Although, I spent a lot of time on code optimizations I admit (turning Update() loops to coroutines, caching nearly everything, etc).
    Skinning is told by Unity tracer to take between 5 and 6 ms on Galaxy S.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  36. n0mad

n0mad

I will keep the 4 other Martial Arts analysis blogs onto Kinetic Damage's Facebook page :)

37. n0mad

n0mad

Little break : I just found a way to make a custom lightmap Surface Shader, without the color burning overlighting effect the Emission channel is often producing.

It's over here.

38. n0mad

n0mad

While I'm preparing to release a new batch of outfits by the end of the month (overall project is 80% finished), I'll drop an interesting interview with the team behind SoulCalibur 5.

In a word, this is basically how many people an AAA fighting game requires to be produced under 1-2 years.

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is pretty damn cool...i am now considering buying an android phone to play your game... :)

40. n0mad

n0mad

And I promise you won't be deceived ^^

41. n0mad

n0mad

Here it is, all 8 Martial Arts basic statistics, combined with their special outfits. How do you earn those outfits ? Just play your Martial Art with skill ;)
    Oh and of course, these outfits won't be "just visual" ...

Attached Files:

42. n0mad

n0mad

Attached Files:

43. n0mad

n0mad

On a sidenote : I just learned that EVO was having a fighting game developer panel this year.
    I'll try to present Kinetic Damage to EVO 2K12 :)

(what is EVO : www.evo2k.com)
    sample :

44. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Will be super cool is you try to present your game there! EVO is big staff :)

Checking the last pics your game looks more shape and professional, good work!

waiting for more videos!

45. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks for the cheerings ;)
    To be honest, I'm less and less eager to present stuff in this forum because over 3 years, there've been very few members who gave some feedback over here. It seems like either my game is not appealing at all, broad audience wise, either fighting games are really not their type of game. Same for Facebook page. I don't know why, maybe FPS and RPGs are the only way to go nowadays to catch some audience.

Anyway I'm still working with tons of fun, project is 85% complete, and I'll post a video of character creation asap ^_^
    (and more and more details about the unique features as release date approaches)

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Damn dude, I am loving the costume selections so far... And I am very interested in this as well... if you also decide to do a PC version, I'll snatch it up... Have you had any issues with the skinned cloth on some of these outfits? I am still struggling with this on my project... and I love how you have ratings for the characters, will this work into gameplay?

47. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks NI :)
    I didn't have any issue with skinned cloth, as there is no skinned cloth (I'm targetting handhelds, unfortunately it would be overkill for performance), but maybe in an enchanced version, if the game sells well ^^

Yes, totally, every martial art gameplay revolves around those stats :)

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Still kinda sucks that skinned cloth doesn't collide :( but keep going with this project

49. XZ001

XZ001

This game looks awesome. I was planning on making a martial arts fighting game soon. Do you think you could give me some tips on how to make the combat system? Specifically registering the hits.

50. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks ! Sure, don't hesitate to send me PMs so I can answer a few questions. Actually I'm on holidays so I can't really answer PMs, but I'll be back on monday :)