Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[fighting game] Kinetic Damage [Released]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by n0mad, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Which real martial art would you love to master ?

1. Muay Thai

54 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Ninjutsu

76 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Taekwondo

35 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Tai Chi Chuan / Qi Gong Jin

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Jeet Kun Do

30 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Pencak Silat

8 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Boxing

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Shaolin Kung Fu

77 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. I don't like martial arts / fighting games

26 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. n0mad

n0mad

Hello Rygoody,

thank you for your comment.

Concerning the edge work, I actually don't check it. In fact I tried to import a first model in Unity, and was satisfied of its looking, so I continued without phong checking ;)

I'm pleased with the result so far (considering char textures aren't even finalized yet).

2. n0mad

n0mad

Hey, I forgot to expose the final HUD version, so here it is ;)

Attached Files:

3. n0mad

n0mad

Just a quick message to say that that I received the first soundtracks from the Sound Designer, and they're awesome.

Dark, dirty, crawlish but punchy ambiences are there. Cyberpunk meets a fighting game.
    I'm not an easy picker in term of music, but these tracks just fit perfectly.

I hope I'll be able to provide some samples soon.

Anyway, the soundtrack will be available in a full album when the game will be released.

4. n0mad

n0mad

The game is still building up, but on the code side, which is why there was no real thread update since a long time.

Although, I started producing char textures lately.

Here is the one which inaugurated my new Wacom Cintiq 12WX pen tablet :roll:

Basically, player will be able to choose his equipment (arms, legs, torso, head), plus his ethnic origins, hair color, size and corpulence.
    But his basic equipment is "totally naked" ;)
    (Naked fighting ?!)

Attached Files:

5. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

doesn't the guy misses something important :p?

6. n0mad

n0mad

Haha you devil :p

Well in fact, the final version will have underpants, to avoid forbidding the game to the kids ;)

7. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

Can't wait to play it :)

8. n0mad

n0mad

Female model.
    (yes, female fighters generally aren't skinny ;))

Attached Files:

9. n0mad

n0mad

Finalized my main rig system, which now lets me unleash some very acrobatic movements.

Here is a short sample of what animating a fighting character looks like over my desk :)

Attached Files:

10. giyomu

giyomu

the pose look good and convincing , i guess you have an encyclopedie of fighting ref ^^.

Let us see some short clip of them in action when you can ;)

11. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks a lot Giyomu !

Well, I'm not that wise about fighting :roll:

But I learned a lot in hobbying at it :)
    Spent 8 years in Judo, 1 in Karate, 1 in Savate, and 3 in Taekwondo, and made some regional competition (TKD). That teached me some kind of insight about combat, what you feel when you're in it, etc ...
    And I want the player to feel that too in this game !

This is why I'm not using magic, projectiles or absurd movements. Without falling into the boredom of pure realism, I want players who never fought to say "Oh, I so want to make that move in real life !", and initiated fighters to think "This position, I know that".

I've been watching truckloads of fight videos, tutorials and competitions of 10 different martial arts for more than a year, in order to better understand their spirit and body mechanics.
    All movements will be a bit exagerated to fit the flashy game spirit, but are still timed and built around each of their respective martial arts.

Can't say much more, but I've put special mechanics into each style that completely follows the class role.

For example, the Assassin will have a special mode where he will gain +5% critical / second, but will lose -5% physical resistance too. Which means the more he waits, the more he is in danger, and therefore the more he will be investigating his body to murder.

Well, I'll try to take some video about basic moves of one class, soon. ;)

(would be awesome if Unity forums let us post vids)

12. n0mad

n0mad

As promised, here is a WIP ingame footage video.

A lot of things remain to do, especially on gameplay, mechanics and moves.

Well, now going back to work :roll:

13. giyomu

giyomu

this look really cool , all seem really smooth and fluid , since i spy you and your game , I know that you are at it since a long time polishing here and here, and overall it seems to pay off ,

Good luck with that I will certainly get this when it will see the light on appstore :wink:

14. mehware

mehware

all I have to say is wow..

15. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks guys :)

I just put some annotations in the video to better explain 2 of the 20+ unique class mechanisms.

16. n0mad

n0mad

17. n0mad

n0mad

Face customizer, prototype.
    (Will be the exact same sliders ingame)

Every player will be able to build his own face, eye color, haircut/color, and skin texture.

Attached Files:

18. n0mad

n0mad

Hey there,

the sound designer, Buck Bottleneck, has released a Myspace site with samples of some of the background musics.

Honestly, they are above what I expected (and I expected something really good).

Check it out : http://www.myspace.com/buckbottleneck

Buck is a 32 years old sound engineer, available for freelance contracts.
    Contact available on his myspace.

Enjoy !

19. Eclipse

Eclipse

This project is looking quite cool. The in-game footage looks nice and smooth with really cool animation! But...and forgive me for being blunt, but the visuals are in need of some reworking. The models are overly blocky. It looks like are you using enough triangles on them to get something really nice, but just putting them in the wrong places. Even then, they aren't that bad, they have the shapes you seem to be looking for, so they manage. It mostly seems to fall apart when it comes to the textures. I believe you should really try and focus on reworking those. Use more shading and colors instead of just small lines with some basic white highlights.

I only say this is a slightly harsh way because I think your project shows great potential and the character creation could be really awesome. I just hope you can give it the love and polish it needs to really shine in the end and make a nice big splash on the iphone scene :D

20. n0mad

n0mad

Hello Eclipse,

Thanks for your advices ! Don't worry, I'm very open to criticism, as it is part of my formation :)

Although, are you meaning all the textures are needing polishment ? Or only chars ?
    Actually I am very aware that the chars shown in the videos and the screenshots are really not polished enough :)
    I've reworked everything about them, and the final models+textures will be more what the 2 naked models look like.
    Are they still not polished enough ?
    Sorry for asking this, but I just wanted to be sure I'm understanding you right :D

Don't hesitate to post any critic or suggestion, I would be very happy to be driven to a better level of quality ;)

Thanks, cheers

21. Eclipse

Eclipse

Really only the character, the environments don't look that bad at all.

The newer base character creation models still do need quite a bit of work. Your smoothing groups are either off quite a bit, or you need to weld some verts. Also I wouldn't recommend showing models off in the default max lighting. You could either fake your in-game lighting, or go with 100% self illumination.

I know everyone has their own style and goes for a different vision, but it looks like you are sort of doing comic book shading on a 3d model and it don't translate well at all in my humble opinion. another thing I believe I am seeing on the face editor shots is that you are showing off your work in User mode (in 3d studio masx, orthographic in other tools). I would highly recommend using perspective instead as it will give your work a bit more natural feel. I just real quick did a draw over of some changes i could see for the Base female head.

Now I know I smoothed out the edges too much, but I think you can get a very similar shape with the amount of tris you are using, the rest will be hidden by the smaller idevice screen size anyway. For this I mostly just added in some shading and details to help parts pop a bit more. Obviously this was quick and could be taken further to shine even more. The same goes for the body of course. Keep not of a few things as well about the female body. I believe you should make the neck a bit longer and drop the shoulders.

I don't want to make this response too long (thought I probably already have, haha), but I think you really have a solid base for a fighting game and I just hope you can take it to the proper visual level to really excite people about your final product :).

22. n0mad

n0mad

Wow thanks Eclipse, that's the most efficient advices I've seen in a WIP thread :)

Thank you for your quick draw, that explains a lot of things ^^
    I'll try to dig all of that deeper in my models.

Also, actually, the face editor had no hair textures, and faces ones weren't final. I've reworked faces texture a bit, and put textures onto hair.

The screenshots are purely for WIP appreciation indeed.
    I'm using the C4D lighting for presentation because final textures will have those lights baked ;)

So, here are the different haircuts and a coloration demo.

Thank you again for your dedication Eclipse, that's really appreciated :)

Cheers

Attached Files:

23. n0mad

n0mad

New awesome track, Tachyon, by Buck Bottleneck on his MySpace.

The whole soundtrack will be released as an independant album, purchasable on iTunes.

24. n0mad

n0mad

Male wear styles 1, 2.

Attached Files:

25. crafTDev

crafTDev

Pretty impressive work so far. You doing this by yourself?

How many polys are your characters?

26. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

you are going very fast! cool! me too im working in a fighting engine. your is going very well :)

27. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks !
    Yes by myself. Characters are approximately 500 polys each.

Thank you ratonmalo, I wish you the best success for your game !
    Don't hesitate to create a Work In Progress thread of it in this forum, if it's made with Unity :)

28. n0mad

n0mad

Male wear styles 3, 4.

Attached Files:

29. n0mad

n0mad

Male wear styles 5, 6.

Attached Files:

30. n0mad

n0mad

Male wear styles 7, 8.

Attached Files:

31. n0mad

n0mad

Female Wear style 1, 2, 3.

Attached Files:

32. n0mad

n0mad

Female Wear styles 4, 5, 6.

Attached Files:

33. n0mad

n0mad

Female Wear styles 7, 8.

Attached Files:

34. n0mad

n0mad

Of course, colors will be choosable, from skin to clothes.

Also, you can mix styles between them.
    Like Arms > grunge style, Torso>Groover style, legs>Street style.

There is 5 x 2 different colors per member (arms, torso, legs) for 8 cloth styles, 8 colors for 8 hairstyles, and 5 skin colors.

Which leaves us with exactly 240 possible cloth styles, 64 hair styles, and 5 skin colors.

Plus, indeed, the face customization.
    So there won't be a lot of chances to see 2 same models ingame.

And 8 more special suits are coming.

Here is a sample of previously showcased suits, but mixed between each others :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  35. n0mad

n0mad

Also, in addition, some important gameplay precisions :

- No projectiles (fireballs, beams, shockwaves, etc).
    This is made to bring more aggressive fights. Turtling, fleeing, and repetitive mashup fighting style will be punished, or at best "not rewarded".
    - No jab spamfest. Every hit will have to be well thought, or you could be punished.
    - No ultimate instant kill move. There will be a lot of ways to reverse a fight balance, and I want the players to feel the adrenalin of having to take risks to win, but you won't be able to take away 50% of the opponent's HP in just one move.
    - No infinite combo. To prevent beginners from being unable to play in front of tough combo makers, any combo superior to 8 hit will make the victim fall on the ground. Just like in a real fight, yeah.
    - "Easy to learn, hard to master"

Well, that's all I can unveil for now :wink:

But you can be sure that every decision is being thought and based on 20 years of fighting game experience.

( Bonus : Feel free to send Super Street Fighter 4 matches requests, Xbox gamertag : KineticDamage )

36. crafTDev

crafTDev

Really great!

BTW, whats your background?

37. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks jrricky :)

Ingame background or personal background ?

edit : well as I already put ingame backgrounds in the thread, I suppose it's personal background :p
    (sorry for my clumsy english notions)

To make it short, I'm 31, 8 years of studies into graphism and multimedia, 10 years of dayjob into flash games, and a burning passion for video games since the age of 8 :)

I'm glad you're enjoying this thread !

See you on the next update :idea:

38. n0mad

n0mad

AWESOME new track by Buck !

Electron.

Blows the place off !

39. Chaoselementx

Chaoselementx

almost makes me want to get an iphone :D .
    Looking good!

40. n0mad

n0mad

don't worry buddy, this will be ported to Android too :)
    And if success is here, I'll fullfill the duty to invest in a port to Xbox and PS3 ;)

41. n0mad

n0mad

New tune, "Neutrino", from Buck Bottleneck !!!

Sluggish, violent, uplifting, absolutely delicious tune ... I can already feel the punches hitting to the rythm of the beat !
    Check it out !

42. n0mad

n0mad

Ancient Shibuya level, release version (target rendering).

Attached Files:

43. n0mad

n0mad

Target Render to Game Render test passed.

(Although the TR is more realistically darker on unlightmapped zones, I found this brighter look was better for details)

Attached Files:

44. n0mad

n0mad

Station Spatiale de France, final version.

Attached Files:

45. n0mad

n0mad

(and a last one)

Attached Files:

46. n0mad

n0mad

The Seabox, Australia.

This is the biggest identified aquarium in 2062. Australia was chosen to be the place for its diving and oceanic culture history.

Thanks to technological advancements, human race managed to explore nearly 85% of the sea deeps. As the deeper you go, the higher the pressure is, some dramatically enormous, resistant species were found.

You are now in the dangerous species area.
    The 10 meters thick glass separating exposed species and public area should avoid unfortunate incidents ... normally.

Attached Files:

47. n0mad

n0mad

continued.

Attached Files:

48. n0mad

n0mad

Transpacific Hovertrain, final state.

Attached Files:

49. n0mad

n0mad

(of course, this level is difficult to perceive in still images, as it's just a constant gliding background. Video presentations will come after all 8 levels are complete. 4 remaining.)

____

Attached Files:

50. crafTDev

crafTDev

nice updates. If you dont mind answering, how are you doing hit detection?