Search Unity

DynamicWater3D [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ReliCWeb, Jul 27, 2013.

1. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

Hey everyone, I just wanted to announce that the DynamicWater3D package is now available on the Asset Store!

Asset Store link: (currently unavailable, working on it)
    Webplayer demo: click here
    Windows Standalone build: click here (runs much better than webplayer)

Recent Updates: v1.1.4 (awaiting Asset Store approval)
    • Moved wave propagation to a simulation step coroutine, everything is now completely frame independent.
    • Added mesh interpolation between simulation steps so motion is much smoother at lower speeds.
    • Added simulation speed controls to inspector and example scene GUIs.
    • Various performance tweaks gave a slight boost.

A few caveats:
    • Everything is currently CPU-bound which keeps it from requiring Unity Pro, but performance isn't as high as GPU-accelerated would be. (GPU processing will come in a future Pro version)
    • It is designed to be a small shallow-body simulation, not a full-scale ocean/large-body simulation. Things like swimming pools, fountains, small ponds, etc are ideal.
    • It is limited to square/rectangular meshes, however through clever use of static obstructions and/or obstruction textures, almost any shape can be achieved (see demo for examples).
    • Mobile deployment is considered "untested" as I currently lack the required hardware. If mobile testing proves acceptable, it will be included as an update at no additional cost.
    • It currently requires Unity v4.2.0, however an update has been submitted to lower the requirement to v4.1.0.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Looks great.

3. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Very nice

4. 3dFoin

3dFoin

awesome :D

5. imtrobin

imtrobin

make a apk, I test for you.

6. kenshin

kenshin

Great, booked! :)

7. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Looks really great, well done!

8. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

@imtrobin: Good idea. I will whip up a mobile-optimized demo (as best I can without on-device testing) and post the APK so users can test it on Android. Should have that done in the next day or so, and I'd greatly appreciate any feedback from mobile testing. If it works out, I'll add the mobile demo to the project in an update.

9. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Very very cool. Congratulations

10. RC-1290

RC-1290

At first I was surprised it wasn't running more smoothly, until I saw that it was implemented on the CPU. Impressive :).

11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Very impressive!

12. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Fantastic work, and great demo!

13. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

Hey everyone, I've updated the webplayer and standalone demos so vsync is disabled by default. I average 150-200 fps on webplayer and 800-900 fps on standalone on my PC (i5-2500k, 560 GTX).

I'll be updating the original post with some screenshots and some more info in the next few hours.

Android demo coming soon :)

Thanks for checking it out!

14. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi,

i have bought this because this is what i was searching for a long time and i hope you will include a mobile, mainly ios shader too.

What is the obstruction texture and for what can i use it?

Also i have a question now that unity 4.2 can let the particles do more.
    How can i make spray textures on the water and let particles interact with the water where in example a character is moving true the water?

I would like to know if your asset will use more then one cpu and if so how much and how i can change this?

Nice asset by the way :)

Edit:
    Just saw see the new demo and there i think you have uset particles for the rain :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  15. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

@RandAIThor: To answer your questions:

1. Mobile is coming soon. I will be uploading an APK later tonight for users to test with. If it goes well I'll include it in an update. Unfortunately I currently lack an Apple PC, so I can't deploy to iOS. That will change in the future though.

2. The obstruction texture lets you use a texture to setup where the water is considered "blocked" or "off". Their main use is to allow custom shapes while still using a square/rectangular mesh. Check the ObstructionTextures example for some ideas.

3. I *may* add an update showing how particles can interact with the new callbacks in 4.2, but that may break compatibility with earlier versions, I'll have to test. I'm currently working on earlier releases so it's not set to 4.2 as a minimum. Currently the 'raindrops' effect just causes ripples randomly across the water surface, it is not using any particles.

4. It is not currently multi-threaded to utilize multiple cores, but I am researching ways to add that in and it will be added in a future update. Performance is still pretty good considering :)

Thanks for checking it out, and I hope it helps you make something cool! Do keep an eye on this thread as I'll be posting updates here.

16. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

Hey everyone, just a quick update letting you know compatibility with Unity v4.1.0f4 should be coming soon, the updated package has been submitted to the Asset Store. Nothing has changed aside from compatibility.

Thanks everyone :)

17. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

Just submitted a new update to the Asset Store.

v1.1.4 (once it goes live) will bring a slight performance boost and simulation speed controls. The webplayer and standalone builds have been updated in the meantime, so be sure to check them out.

Thanks again :)

18. PISCES

PISCES

Hey ReliCWeb, I wanted to purchase this awesome asset, however when I looked for it again on the asset store yesterday, I couldn't find it anywhere...

Then I went and checked the asset-store link you've provided above in this forum, and it doesn't work either. What happened? Is the asset going to be available again soon?

19. ReliCWeb

ReliCWeb

Hi PISCES, sorry for any confusion, I meant to update this post. Currently working out a few issues with the Asset Store, but hopefully the asset will be back up soon. Just keep an eye here and I'll update the post when/if it becomes available again. If things don't work out, I'll post that here as well to clear up any confusion.