Search Unity

Every Xbox One a Development Kit - What's that mean for us indies and Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheLorax, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ShadyMike

ShadyMike

2. BTStone

BTStone

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

4. Velo222

Velo222

I feel your pain James. I'm in the same boat. I can't tell you how much I want to get my game done and to have it be something that I can sit back and admire for a year or two, instead of a constant burning passion to improve it or add more things to it every day lol. I mean, I guess it's not that bad of a thing, but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

5. Yoska

Yoska

Good stuff. I hope MS will loosen up registratio requirements sooner rarther than later.

6. marcosero

marcosero

I can't believe that some of you guys are always complaining.

With Unity we can do beautiful games and now they added one platform more, which even has something like Kinect that we could potentially use to create something cool.

7. rextr09

rextr09

The fact that every single user will be playing your game on the same hardware is great. Far better than dealing with 3570 devices on Android platform. :)

8. darkhog

darkhog

There's little known fact that you can specify models of devices supported on your GPlay page, say Nexus 7 + Android version and say "If you get it to run on another phone/tablet, good for you, if not and it isn't on this list, I don't care". But that is a secret, so shhh...

9. im

im

sounds like unity is the new xna

good for unity congrats

also sounds like all you need is to buy an xbox one and join the program and then get approval for your game

and if that is the case it sounds really good and easy, well all but the get approval for your game part

sort of xna 2.0

the only thing that sounds terrible is if they have 50/50 split

and i thought steam was bad ;)

personally im sticking to pc. my 2 yr old pc hardware is way better then upcoming xbox one / ps4 :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

That means we an finally get on SGFs demo friend for xblig games.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=iIQr5rq6ZrU

11. RvBGames

RvBGames

I started with Creators Club XNA 1.0. Played with it through 4.0 but lost interest due to performance reasons with large scenes. Not too mention the lack of a physics engine, but I did use BEPU, which was decent. With the announcement of Xbox One ID@Xbox, and Unity 3D pro, I get the sense that I can focus on games without worrying if the rug is going to be pulled out from under me. I'm excited. Full steam ahead :)

12. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

@RvBGames...same here...lost interest around XNA 4.0 as well. I was a material contributor to a community-supported version of TorqueX for XNA 4.0. I did the Farseer Physics integration into the core product. It worked out well, but the authoring tools for TorqueX were limited to 2D and were...quirky if not buggy. Not in the same league as Unity by any stretch of the imagination. :)

The Unity Pro seat free to Xbox One developers is huge news. Unity makes iteration over your product so much easier and you get more out of each pass than you do in a system without sufficient tools. I'm pretty amped to see what will come from the Unity community on Xbox One and I'm hoping to be able to make some meaningful contributions to the Xbox One game library.

Now if only MS would tell us when they will be opening the retail consoles up for development. I'm hoping that maybe we can piece a timeline together based on when Unity release Xbox One as a target platform.

Has anyone here heard whether the Xbox One targeting will require Windows 8 or if it will function from Windows 7?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  13. RvBGames

RvBGames

@rbarbosa, that's funny. I tried TorgueX too but stopped working with it because it frequently crashed my machine. I received an email, as I'm sure most here have, from ID@Xbox acknowledging the wait game. Knowing how much time and effort Microsoft put into XNA, even when internally they knew its EOL, are strong indicators that they will more than double their efforts with Xbox One. And not because of another platform did this or did that, but because of their commitment to developers. Microsoft has always been a developer-centric company.