Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3d 4.2 Invalid Characters in Path

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SheheryarAamir, Jul 24, 2013.

1. SheheryarAamir

SheheryarAamir

After updating to unity3d 4.2 I'm facing following error while building apk for android
    Error building Player: ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

Please help

Thanks

2. SJAM

SJAM

Same Here but no problem with Unity 4.1.5 and Unity 4.2 Rc3.

To fix that :

Just add slash at the end of JAVA_HOME environment variable and PATH environment variable

Works fine now

$fixpath.jpg

3. SheheryarAamir

SheheryarAamir

I did everything you said but still facing same error :(
    I'm using windows 7 x64

My Environment Variables:

User variables for Administrator

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_05\
    path = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_05\bin\

System Variables

PATH= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\Program Files (x86)\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;D:\android-sdk-windows\tools;D:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Extractor;C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Extractor\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_05\bin\

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. SJAM

SJAM

So, I don't know, sorry but if Unity 4.1.5 works fine and if it just U4.2, contact directly the support

5. xpander

xpander

I have the same issue after upgrading from 4.1.5 to 4.2. Adding slashes to PATH and JAVA_HOME doesn't work. Please help.

6. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Hi can one of you please file a bug on this and attach the editor log file?

7. xpander

xpander

Hello, bitter.
    I've just submitted a bug through Unity Editor (Case 553810).

8. shaddadjr85

shaddadjr85

I'm having the same issue. Tried the path string fix listed above with no luck.

9. orrtcloud

orrtcloud

I'm also having this issue as of 4.2 update and none of the above fixes work.

10. SheheryarAamir

SheheryarAamir

did anyone find any fix for this issue?

11. xpander

xpander

12. aryin

aryin

doesn't work for me =( i have just downgraded it back to 4.1.5 and it's building again. Hope Unity has it fixed ASAP.

13. SheheryarAamir

SheheryarAamir

doesn't work for me either

14. fanjules

fanjules

I have the same problem and unable to fix with the suggestions here. Please resolve this ASAP as it has brought my development to an entire halt.

15. MobBoss2

MobBoss2

Im having the same problem, I already tried all the suggested solutions and nothing.
    Please can someone help? I really need to do a deploy

16. MobBoss2

MobBoss2

Any update with this?

17. fanjules

fanjules

The silence is deafening from Unity. FWIW...

1) It's fine on Mac. Obviously really, as clearly somebody has screwed up with paths in the Windows version of the editor. It reminds of a similar issue with the Windows version with 3.5 when paths had spaces in and it confused Mono Develop because Unity had not' allowed for the possibility of spaces. It took them WEEKS to resolve this simple fix. For now I am building to Android on Mac but it's not really a "solution" and anybody without a Mac is screwed.

2) On reflection, the problem didn't actually occur when I upgraded to Unity 4.2 exactly. The issue only came to head when I upgraded to API18 of Android (4.3) by downloading the entire SDK again (the SDK Manager had issues downloading API18 as it was trying to install API 18 Revision 1 first). Trying to removing API18 and just having API17 there didn't fix it. I know the new SDK involved quite a few other updates to things beyond just API18, which were present in the downloaded ZIP. The problem is, as far as I can see Google do not allow you to download the earlier ZIP which I had which just contained API17 and it's various bits.

Does this ring any bells with the other people suffering this problem? What API were you on when problems hit? Had you updated it recently or downloaded the latest SDK from Google's site like I did? I'm not certain how relevant the API thing is and it may just be a coincidental thing on my install. I've no doubt the problem lies with Unity though as it's clearly a way it handles the paths.

It's a shame we can't actually see more than "Error building Player: ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path."
    ...if we could see the actual path we could see exactly what the problem is, but sadly we just get this vague message, and if Unity can't reproduce the problem it makes it hard to fix.

It would be great to hear from Unity ASAP.

18. SheheryarAamir

SheheryarAamir

last night, after downgrading my android SDK, to 22 and platform-tools to 16.0.2, I'm able to build apk for android using unity3d 4.2.

Thanks

19. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

MobBoss2, fanjules and anyone else who is experiencing this

Please specify these things:
    your Windows version
    Unity location
    Android SDK location
    Project location and to which location you are trying to build it
    Unity and Unity Android plugin license types (free / pro)

Also please paste the contents of your system's "PATH" variable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Windows 8 - 64bit
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity
    C:\Dev\SDK\AndroidSDK
    C:\Dev\Unity\Ascent
    (Building to same location)
    Unity Free

I've been using the Android SDK to get it building to Ouya, which it was doing fine until I updated to android 4.2.
    The annoying thing is, as others have pointed out, is that we're given a very vague error "Error building Player: ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path." to which I can't even start looking on where to fix it.

21. fanjules

fanjules

Windows 7 - 64bit
    C:\Android\sdk
    C:\Work\Projects\UnityLearning\024_android_build_problem
    Building to: C:\Work\Projects\UnityLearning\024_android_build_problem\_BUILDS\Android

Licenses: Unity Pro, Android Pro, iOS Pro

System Path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\PROGRA~2\Borland\Delphi5\Projects\Bpl;C:\PROGRA~2\Borland\Delphi5\Bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_25\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;

22. fanjules

fanjules

@JuliusM
    ...just to confirm, are you a Unity engineer? Would be good to know this is being looked into!

23. oye_beto

oye_beto

Here's my data.

Windows version:
    Windows 7 home premium

Unity location:

Android SDK location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk

Project location and to which location you are trying to build it:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Unity Projects\MecanimTute

Unity and Unity Android plugin license types (free / pro):
    Free licenses

Path variable:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\SysWow64\;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\SysWow64\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\VAIO Startup Setting Tool;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\

24. fanjules

fanjules

Any news?

Are we doomed to a crippled version of Unity or will this be fixed in the next release?

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey all involved, I just wanted to update on my personal issue with this.
    A week ago I had a problem just like the rest of you, where I was unable to build an apk - Today when I tried to build it again (and run it straight on Ouya) it worked - without any errors popping up.

I can only assume this now works because of the slash I added at the end of the two java variables under the environment variable properties (As suggested on the first page) - Only I didn't notice at the time because (perhaps) I needed to restart my system first.
    That was the only change/fix I did - so other than Unity silently updating itself (Not sure if it does that) I can only assume that was the problem.

I wish you all the best of luck with getting your issues fixed - something like this certainly can halt development/testing time.

26. fanjules

fanjules

This doesn't work for me, even with the restart. Could you possibly post your system data, so we can see if theres anything different that we can spot with a working system?

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Windows version - Windows 8 64-bit
    Unity location - C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity
    Android SDK location - C:\Dev\SDK\AndroidSDK
    Project location and to which location you are trying to build it - C:\Dev\Unity\Ascent
    Unity and Unity Android plugin license type - Free
    Android API being built to - Android 4.1 'Jelly Bean', API Level 16

Related user environment variables -

28. WaterWhat

WaterWhat

I have the same problem after I upgraded from 4.1.5 to 4.2.0. Hope Unity staff can fix this bug ASAP
    My system info:

Win8 64bit
    Android SDK:
    C:\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20130729
    Java SDK:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_25
    Unity:

29. fanjules

fanjules

I noticed you had user variables instead of the paths to JAVA in the system variables path field. So I removed my entries from there, added them to the user variables as you have done and... nothing. Still the same.

For the benefit of Unity3d devs who actually care, the actual message returned by Unity is the following (the topic of this forum post is slightly incorrect):

"Error building Player: ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path."

It would be nice just to hear from Unity on this. I've sent a support e-mail, opened a bug report, somebody else had opened a bug report earlier and nothing. I've now wasted another morning on this. Will it be fixed in the next release or not?

30. WaterWhat

WaterWhat

Will the Unity Gods do something about this?

31. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

The bug xpander filed has been assigned to a dev after a series of e-mails between QA and xpander to try and get to the root of the issue

32. aryin

aryin

hope this issue will be solved asap, i've tried everything but no luck, it's a PAIN

33. shaddadjr85

shaddadjr85

I just tried the new Unity 4.2.1 and still getting the same error. :( has anyone found a way around this? Months of being unable to build for Android is painful.

34. badc0de

badc0de

This post by nekete fixed it for me (previously all I could do was downgrade to Unity 4.1).

35. fanjules

fanjules

I am going to repost badc0de's link as it appears he can't post them due to being a new forum user:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/93...d-to-Android?p=1344914&viewfull=1#post1344914

The problem seems to be at least partly related to SDK R22, but it still seems Unity isn't handling something correct there. Use R21 and it's fine, though I couldn't find the link anywhere on Google's site, only in the above forum post. I also install API 17 (from R21 I couldn't get API18 to install properly - and googling seemed to suggest installing the latest SDK, and of course R22 doesn't work).

I hope Unity can allow for whatever has changed in the R22 SDK, because at the moment I presume that anybody new coming to Unity cannot build to Android on a Windows machine.

36. Chris-Clark

Chris-Clark

Remove any environment variables that look like: _JAVA_OPTIONS -Xms512m

I may finally have a solution for those who still can't fix it.

I tried everything else mentioned that worked for others, but nothing ever fixed it. I removed that environment variable above and it finally fixed building with SDK R22.

37. fanjules

fanjules

I think I'm not alone having kept with SDK21 for a while now... we all had so much trouble with this few of us would want to experiment further having got it to work.

However, I recently had a need to upgrade to the latest SDK due to requirements of an Asset Store purchase.

I can confirm Chris Clark's solution above worked and I am now able to compile with the latest Android SDK. :)

38. Oniony

Oniony

Just want to confirm, this solution also worked for me.

39. janoonk

janoonk

I can also confirm that this worked for me also!
    Thanks!

40. OKR

OKR

Thank you for the tip, removing _JAVA_OPTIONS -Xms512m variable fixed my problem too (4.3.4 build here).
    I am not sure but if I remember, I added this variable to fix a build issue with eclipse + android plugin past projects.

41. zRedCode

zRedCode

Tried all suggested in this topic, nothing works... unity free. Windows 7 64bits, JDK 64Bit, JAVA_HOME C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\
    SDK location: C:\Users\Samuele\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
    Any suggestion? tryng building for android 4.1.1 ARMV7

42. matfrem

matfrem

Remove "_JAVA_OPTIONS" from environment variables.
    In my case i put "_JAVA_OPTIONS" a long time ago to get Minecraft running :)

thanks to this guy:
    http://www.tallior.com/2014/02/08/b...-argumentexception-when-building-for-android/

43. zRedCode

zRedCode

Already tried this. (Used to run minecraft... ;) )

44. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  45. zRedCode

zRedCode

Deleted SDK and installed api levels 14, works, finally! (i have jdk 64bits, and i not have problems)

46. ruininglin

ruininglin

I can also confirm that this worked for me!
    Thank you very much!!!

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  47. stummark

stummark

Hi, I am trying to build for windows universal apps and am getting //error building player argumentexception illegal characters in path//