Search Unity

No Splash Screen on Windows Phone 8 with Unity Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Crazy Robot, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

So I finally got the dreaded Windows 8 Installed on my Mac and I have Unity up and running.

I noticed the splash Image states "Not applicable for this platform"

So, no splash screens on Windows Phones?

2. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

That's good?

3. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I haven't built it for the device yet, so I don't know what comes up instead of a splash screen, that being said, I haven't decided if that's good or not.

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Seems to be by design that not all apps add one unless needed. Note that store submit rules require to show at least something after 5 seconds and 20 seconds is max your app can load without user interaction on any WP8 device.

"Windows Phone 8 apps load quickly, so a Windows Phone 8 app usually doesn’t need a splash screen. New Windows Phone 8 projects don’t include a default splash screen image file. However, if you want to use a splash screen in your Windows Phone 8 app, add an existing JPG image file to the root folder of your Windows Phone 8 project, and name the file SplashScreenImage.jpg.

For apps that take a long time to load, we recommend that you create an animated splash screen to indicate progress while your app prepares to run. One way to do this is by creating a Popup control that displays the animation while the app resources are loading. When the app has finished loading, you can hide the Popup control. For more info about animations, see Quickstart: Animations for Windows Phone.
    "

5. Memosis

Memosis

Just fyi, in Unity Free we see standard "Powered by Unity" logo on WP8

6. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Now that doesn't make mush sense.

Is there anyone with a Pro license that's built a project on the device yet? If so, do you see a splash screen?

Thanks,

7. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I'm not sure if there's anything I need to change, but here on Pro I just made a build and it showed the default Unity splash screen as well.

EDIT: note that this was on a debug build, not release

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  8. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I wonder if there is something wrong with the Pro license on Unity's Side.

I wonder if they saw this during the beta testing.

9. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I suspect that you can change the tile/splash screen from the generated Visual Studio project, I'll try to tinker around with it later tonight.

10. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Alright I finally got back to it and I am able to change the splash screen by changing the image "SplashScreenImage.jpg" in the root of the build directory. I assume that we'll get access to changing the splash screen sometime soon; they generate their default splash image, why not let us change it through Unity?

I'm wondering if Free users can also change the splash screen.

Odd.

11. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Wow!!

Thanks for figuring that out! One of the big perks of Pro from me is having my own splash screen (among other things).

I hope the streamline it soon.

12. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

The splash screen which you see for the first time when launching the app can be changed by anyone from Player Settings (Windows Store Apps), you only need to provide your own images, Unity logo which is shown by default is such a placeholder

Do note please, basic users will still see Unity splash screen which goes after initial splash screen. There was a bug in 4.2 where instead of that splash screen, a black fullscreen quad is shown for 2-3 seconds, but that will be fixed in upcoming versions.

So in short, here's what's happening when you launch the app:

* A default application splash screen is shown (By default, it's a Unity logo, this splash screen can be changed by anyone)
    ... <Unity engine initialized>
    * (Only basic users) a splash screen with Unity logo is shown for 2-3 seconds, then it fades out, in 4.2 there's a bug, so it only shows a black quad
    * Game starts

13. Memosis

Memosis

Thanks for the explanation Tomas, we were wondering why we hear game music and still see only a black screen for a couple of seconds upon start. Now we know there will be unity splash screen and we need to add few seconds before displaying our intro animation.

14. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hey Tomas1856,

When I go to Player Settings in Unity, under splash screen it states "Not applicable for this platform". I have Unity Pro.

15. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Please post a screenshot, I have a feeling you're looking at the wrong setting.

16. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Just to be clear, you should look in PlayerSettings (Windows Store Apps), under Title tab:
    there are four buttons:
    * Logo
    * Wide Logo
    * Small Logo

these are the images used for splash screen on Windows Store Apps

17. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

On Windows Phone 8 both Icon and Splash Image say the same thing "Not applicable for this platform"

On Windows Store App I can't select the Splash Image button at all. It does not open.

Here are the Window Phone 8 Pics

Attached Files:

18. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Here are the Windows App Store Pics

Attached Files:

19. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

The 'Title' tag, I've mentioned is located in Publish Settings

20. spacefrog

spacefrog

Tomas:

I'm wondering why the Splashscreen is not used in it's full scale ?
    I filled all available sizes in the app manifest and everything is okay in VS ( no red warning crosses/icons in the image Assets )

But still only the small splashscreen gets used in the build, both on Desktop and on Surface RT
    A test of several released games built with Unity ( according to the betaboard list ) i installed from the Windows Store, shows the same problem:
    The splashscreen isn't using the largest image resolution which would fit to the screen resolution, only the smallest image gets ( 620x300) displayed
    Is this a current limitation for the Store export module ?

21. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

I think you can have bigger splash screen, but you cannot set it from Unity, you have to do it directly in Package.appxmanifest, you can have max 1116 x 540 px splash screen.

22. spacefrog

spacefrog

Thats exactly what i'm doing - but the splash screen always comes out as the small one ...

23. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

24. Yuri-Kimo

Yuri-Kimo

Guys, I have unity 3d pro but I can't remove the first screen that shows the unity3d logo.

Does any one know how to solve this problem?

25. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Go to Player Settings, there is a checkbox for that.