Search Unity

Community Format Proposal: .UNITYMESH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhobicGunner, Jul 23, 2013.

1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I think we've seen a lot of content importers for Unity that don't rely on stuff like asset packages. For example, sound, texture files, etc. What we haven't really seen is a good model importer.
    I think it would be neat if as a community we could organize our own format for the purpose. I propose something that mirrors the Mesh class in Unity, so as to be almost a straight binary dump of the data contained in the Mesh. This means the data is already in the correct format Unity expects, and means data importers and exporters will be much easier to write.

The data is organized into lumps. The first lump, Header, looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. {
    3.     char[3] signature = UNM
    4.     byte version = 0
    5.     uint vertexLumpOffset --pointer to start of vertices lump
    6.     uint uv1LumpOffset --pointer to start of uv1 lump
    7.     uint uv2LumpOffset --pointer to start of uv2 lump
    8.     uint submeshesLumpOffset --pointer to start of submeshes lump (submesh lump contains pointers to a triangle lump per submesh)
    9.     uint normalsLumpOffset --pointer to start of normals lump
    10.     uint tangentsLumpOffset --pointer to start of tangents lump
    11.     uint colorsLumpOffset --pointer to start of colors lump
    12.     uint boneWeightsLumpOffset --pointer to start of bone weights lump
    13.     uint bindPosesLumpOffset --pointer to start of bind poses lump
    14. }
    And the lump formats:
    Code (csharp):
    2. VERTICES
    3. {
    4.     ushort vertexCount
    5.     float v0.x
    6.     float v0.y
    7.     float v0.z
    8.     float v1.x
    9.     [etc]
    10. }
    12. UV(1,2)
    13. {
    14.     float uv0.x
    15.     float uv0.y
    16.     float uv1.x
    17.     [etc]
    18. }
    20. SUBMESHES
    21. {
    22.     uint submeshCount
    23.     uint triangle0LumpOffset
    24.     uint triangle1LumpOffset
    25.     uint triangle2LumpOffset
    26.     [etc]
    27. }
    29. TRIANGLES
    30. {
    31.     uint triangleCount
    32.     uint v0
    33.     uint v1
    34.     uint v2
    35.     [etc]
    36. }
    38. NORMALS
    39. {
    40.     float v0.x
    41.     float v0.y
    42.     float v0.z
    43.     float v1.x
    44.     [etc]
    45. }
    47. TANGENTS
    48. {
    49.     float v0.x
    50.     float v0.y
    51.     float v0.z
    52.     float v0.w
    53.     float v1.x
    54.     [etc]
    55. }
    57. COLORS (stores Color32 as a single int, one byte per component)
    58. {
    59.     uint c0
    60.     uint c1
    61.     uint c2
    62.     [etc]
    63. }
    65. BONE WEIGHTS
    66. {
    67.     uint b0.index0
    68.     uint b0.index1
    69.     uint b0.index2
    70.     uint b0.index3
    71.     float b0.weight0
    72.     float b0.weight1
    73.     float b0.weight2
    74.     float b0.weight3
    75.     uint b1.index0
    76.     [etc]
    77. }
    79. BINDPOSES
    80. {
    81.     float bp0.row0.x
    82.     float bp0.row0.y
    83.     float bp0.row0.z
    84.     float bp0.row0.w
    85.     float bp0.row1.x
    86.     [...]
    87.     float bp0.row3.w
    88.     float bp1.row0.x
    89.     [etc]
    90. }
    The idea behind this format is that, as I mentioned, it mirrors Unity's Mesh class making it very easy to import. It also supports skinned meshes, submeshes, etc.
    Unity Indie users could use this as a way to implement streaming assets, perhaps with an export plugin that allows them to export UNITYMESH files from a mesh inside the Unity Editor, then this can be placed on an external source such as a web server. You might even create 'asset packages', basically ZIP files containing UNITYMESH files, sound files, and textures.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    sootie8 and Gekigengar like this.
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford

I actually wrote an open source OBJ importer with the idea that I'd be able to import assets at runtime with it. Of course, they lack bones and animations, so OBJ isn't the best format. It's just really easy.

I don't have time or motivation to help with this project, but I wish you luck at it.

3. XGundam05

XGundam05

I'd also take a look at Assimp and the Collada format.

As you said, the benefit is that it would be much easier to load and export the model in the format you've proposed. The downside is that you have to write, for each modeling program, an exporter/importer for that format.

I personally like the Collada format as it supports bones and animations. It's also an open format that is widely supported. It is xml based, so the files are larger than binary equivalents however. Currently I've implemented a bastardized version of the Collada spec for my 3D tileset files. The tricky bit with Collada files is pairing the accessors with the data. It's not bad, but it can get kinda verbose rather quickly.

I too wish you luck with this project, it sounds interesting.

4. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Yeah.... I think this wouldn't be so much for a general model format (although certainly it could be used for that if someone were dedicated enough to write exporters for popular modeling packages, which I'm not), but rather a useful base for streaming assets in games that don't have access to Pro. That is, you could export your mesh from Unity with an editor extension, upload the UNITYMESH file to your content server, and download it at runtime. It could also be packed into ZIP files along with sound files and images as a sort of "asset package"

5. XGundam05

XGundam05

For that, it sounds like you'd really just need to write a de/serializer for the Unity Mesh class. For that matter, you could take a little extra time and write a conversion method to/from the Assimp in-memory format and you'd have your general model format.

Basically, Assimp is a library that provides conversion methods for virtually all model formats to a single, in-memory format. You can then (as some people have done) serialize that in-memory format to some other format (such as Json in one example). Assimp is written in C++, but there's a C# wrapper sitting out there somewhere (granted, it uses P/Invoke).

6. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Won't work for me unfortunately, I've only got an Indie license so I can't use C++ plugins.

7. XGundam05

XGundam05

I was more assuming one would write an external program for conversion to/from other formats to/from the proposed .unitymesh format.

8. cerebrate

cerebrate

doesn't unity have a maximum of 65535 vertices per mesh? you could reduce the vertexCount variable to a ushort if so.

9. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Yes it does, and good point.

10. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Instead of pre-defined lumps and header i'd go for a chunk based ID approach instead, this means you can include or exclude any chunks as you see fit.

Its used in the old 3ds format (see here) and isn't really much more complex to parse than a pre-defined header. Each chunk defines what type it is and the offset to the next chunk, then you have the actual chunk data. IT also means its extendible as you can add you own custom chunk ID's. These ID's and chunks are simply ignored when not defined in your importer so they still have backwards compatibility.

11. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

So a chunk might be:

ushort ChunkID
    uint ChunkLength
    byte[] ChunkData

A first pass might be the importer gathering the data for every chunk, and then attempting to parse chunks that have recognized IDs.

That sounds reasonable. Might actually end up slightly easier as well...

12. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah pretty much, though i'm not sure you need passes for importing, you just loop through the chunks as you come to them, extract data for the ones you know, skip the ones you don't. You don't expect chunks to be in any particular order, though obviously you try to be consistent.

As for a chunk it can be developed further so that you have

ushort ChunkID -- e.g. 0001 for vertices
    uint ChunkLength
    -- Actual chunk data in this case for vertices
    ushort vertexCount -- number of vertices
    float v0.x
    float v0.y
    float v0.z
    float v1.x
    ... etc
    ushort ChunkID -- e.g. 0002 for uv's
    uint ChunkLength
    -- Actual Chunk for UV
    ushort UVChannelIndex -- which uv channel this is for
    ushort UVCount -- number of UV coordinates
    float uv0.x
    float uv0.y
    ... etc
    ushort ChunkID
    uint ChunkLength
    .. etc

where chunkLength is the number of bytes of the chunk data, it should not include the chunkID or the uint of the chunkLength. So this way you read the first ushort to get the first chunkID, then you read the next uint to get the chunk length, then you decide if you know what to do with this chunk. If not skip ahead by chunkLength bytes, if you do then parse the chunk.

One issue to keep in mind is how to deal with strings. You can either expect to read by byte until you get a zero byte or split any strings into a subchunk that includes the length of the string in bytes.

e.g.
    ushort ChunkID -- e.g. 0024 Material
    uint ChunkLength
    byte materialNameLength - assuming max of 255 characters.
    bytes[] materialname
    etc

13. cerebrate

cerebrate

if you do the chunks, then you don't need vertex count, triangle count, or submesh count in their respective chunks, as you already know how long that chunk is.

14. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Thanks for the pointer on using chunks, guys. I was originally basing this off of my prior experience writing a parser for Quake maps (where everything is stored in a lump, and there's basically an offset to each lump included near the start of the file). But chunks is proving to be much easier - I've started writing this with a sort of plugin-style architecture, where you write "plugins" for each chunk ID, and this plugin is responsible for parsing the chunk data. Makes things very modular, and easy to extend.

15. Frednaar

Frednaar

I would be very interested in this project, I currently working at a serializer for my meshes and I think using a common format is a very clever idea.

Also for importing an easier option would be to do an Editor extension to export to UNITYMESH...

Keep us posted...

16. cerebrate

cerebrate

I've worked on this myself, and can roundtrip a mesh with all data identical. (tested on a rigged mesh with two UV sets and vertex color information)

I changed a bit how the uv and submesh/triangle information was stored from what was originally posted, as they couldn't have been stored as they were in order to fully support all the mesh data.

https://github.com/jbruening/UnityMesh

project is MIT license.

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I would have the extension as .UMESH because long extensions suck.

18. cerebrate

cerebrate

the processor doesn't care about the file extension, it just reads from a Stream object. So long as the stream follows the format, it'll work.

19. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Ah, very cool. I had written most of my importer, but never got around to writing an exporter. Nice to see a full GIT project doing the full range :)
    Maybe I'll write an Editor utility out of this that lets you pick a source Mesh and a destination file to write the .UMESH (or .UNM, or whatever) format to.

20. wccrawford

wccrawford

Did you ever get around to expanding on this at all? A utility to export models from the editor would be handy. In fact, a way to recreate prefabs from a stream, including the material, scripts, etc would be excellent. There's another thread looking into replacements for asset bundles, and this would help a lot.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/203094-Unity-native-prefab-texture-streaming

21. cerebrate

cerebrate

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  22. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I would have liked to get around to this, but naturally enough my life seems to have had other ideas as I've been quite busy lately.

23. DBAGibbz

DBAGibbz

Bringing up an old thread, but i stumbled across it.
    Im using blender and the fbx exporter is a bit hit a miss.
    Would it be possible to make a direct unity exporter from blender.
    So blender saves out in the unity format....?

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The import step is required; there's no option to plug the native format directly into the editor, assuming anyone even knows what it is (aside from Unity employees...hopefully). I wouldn't be surprised if the format changed somewhat from one version to another anyway.

--Eric