Search Unity

NoesisGUI : XAML-based User Interface [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sfernandez, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Of course it is, it even predates windows 8 quite a lot.

2. jdesantos

jdesantos

On sale? which one? :)

3. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It's already pretty cheap for what it is, not in the same league as other GUIs and priced similarily.

Maybe some kind of lite edition would make sense (max number of xaml length / elements?) to have a second edition priced at 50 however for the most non budgeted hobbyists?

4. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I don't think they should, would mean custom license instead of regular asset store one, beside it's hardly checkable/enforceable. If it's for learning /testing then you can already use the watermarked trial however. Maybe an hybrid between those 2 would be good? Like a cheaper edition with a forced splash screen at the start for 2-3 seconds?

5. jdesantos

jdesantos

We had the opportunity to apply a temporal discount to NoesisGUI. But we though it was not a good idea because we had already sold several units of the .unitypackage by that time.

And we dont like the idea of selling a product that is cheaper but that is incomplete.

6. bdovaz

bdovaz

Yes, it's a MUST. When your interface is very complex and also you have to check for multiple resolutions / aspect ratios is a pain in the ass having to hit play to see it...

I like NGUI because is based on GameObjects so you can activate / deactivate in editor what you want anytime.

7. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

But that's the whole point, you don't "need to hit play" at all with this, it's not a NGUI like solution where you move things around untill they look right, you know they look right from the start, you don't need to check for multiple resolutions (you use the * auto system to auto scale your UI the way you wish) and if you really want to see it as you design, you buy blend which is simply not going to be beaten by anything they can do in-unity. But if you're only doing the kind of UI that are doable with NGUI similar, then you just don't need a preview to type those 30 or so lines of xaml! Or if you really do, just get the free xamlpad type it there before copy/pasting it in unity you'll have your real time preview !

8. jdesantos

jdesantos

I understand that having a real-time preview can be a plus and that event having the editor integrated would be another plus but we think that those reasons shouldn't avoid you to start using NoesisGUI.

• It is like asking to integrate Maya or 3DStudio Max inside Unity. Yes, it would rock but it got no sense. For xaml you have an amazing editor (Blend) that allow you to design complex interfaces that are impossible to be done inside Unity.
    • Almost all the interfaces that can be done with NGUI can be written by hand because they are very simple. Yesterday, an user ask us for help to port a NGUI design. I did it in 5 minutes writing in XamlPad.
    • We provide with our SDK a XamlPlayer that previsualizes in real time what you are writing in a Xaml. We are investigating ways to integrate this in Unity. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. jdesantos

jdesantos

Since 2010 version (I think that even 2008) Visual Studio integrates a XAML editor.

10. jdesantos

jdesantos

11. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

I'm following the tutorial and am confused about a few things. The "Tutorial Data" link refers to a folder path that doesn't exist, and it says XamlPlayer can be found "in the /Bin folder", but I don't see that location either.

$nguiFirstSteps.PNG

12. GerryM

GerryM

Amazing work, congratulations!

Do you have any plans to support the new mobile platforms (Blackberry, WinPhone8)?

Thanks!

13. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, the documentation is now the same for the unitypackage and the SDK (native library). People that buy from our web have access to all the versions.

We have to fix this...

14. jdesantos

jdesantos

We have plans for Windows RT and Windows Phone. Yet we don't have any plan for Blackberry. You are the second person to ask for it since the release. It depends on people demanding it.

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

That's just not true i've got no clue why this keeps getting reprated. I was using blend before windows 7 was released! Hell i think i was using it on windows xp 4 years ago. It's just not true period

16. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Blend has nothing to do with vs. They do have links together but blend is a standalone program for designers

17. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

No, it's included there "on top of" being a standalone product. But it is and always has been a standalone (separately purchaseable) product, part of the expression (blend,encoder etc) line of product.

18. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Damn just checked it up and it seems they pulled it? Anyway can't you get it for free as part of visual studio 2012 express?

19. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Then get the windows 8 version (it's not a version that requires windows 8, it's a version to make apps "for" windows 8, you can run this on windows 7 just fine and use it to design your apps for Noesis).

20. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Then you're out of luck, your options boil down to:
    - Use visual studio not blend (it's perfectly fit for TYPING xaml, which i suggest you do as it requires very little learning, is faster than using blend, and doesn't produce a lot of generated code that makes xaml unreadable unlike blend)
    - Find a used version of expression blend 4 for sale
    - Buy windows 8
    - Install windows 8.1 preview for free
    That's about all your options left for getting something better than xamlpad or similar (which actually would likely do the trick just fine).
    What kind of UI are you going to work on? Because blend or similar really only makes sense when you're designing something fairly complex really, i haven't seen a single unity game so far whose UI would be hard to do in xaml

21. jdesantos

jdesantos

As usual, Microsoft is messing up everything one more time. :(
    There is a link for the Blend Trial but no way to buy it. They are pushing Windows8 aggressively...

22. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It's odd that they made blend a VS excluse while they made the rest of expression free, i mean originally blend was a tool for people who didn't need visual studio vice versa, i think people using both VS blend are an oddity not a general case, so it's really odd they went that road instead of keeping Blend standalone ( making it free)

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is looking very impressive... but I can see this being very difficult for someone who doesn't know how to code :/

24. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Not really no, grab up WPF unleashed and you can learn most of what you need very quickly (2-3 hours). You don't need to know "any" C# / unityscript / boo to work with this (unless you want to add code, but then it's the same with NGUI all other GUI frameworks) for the visual parts. At a begginer level you can consider this a basicXML language with pre made containers for different type of layouts, and a CSS like syntax for doing, well, a whole lot more than you ever could with CSS.

Of course it can get a bit more complex if you really want to go deep down, but if you only put 2-3 hours into this book to learn the basics, you'll already be able to do much beyond what you can do with "any" other GUI framework for unity. It's why i'm so happy this is released, because i haven't found anything that pleases me untill now :)

25. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Would there be some interest in a "basic" level XAML tutorial here or is it just a couple people? If there is interest i could do a quick recorded tutorial showcasing the diferent type of containers / layouts / sizing methods / main controls / ways to style things when i get some time.

26. jdesantos

jdesantos

We created all our tutorials (included in the documentation) with that purpose, showing basic concepts with minimal samples about shapes, text rendering, containers, etc etc. I think that all of them can be read in less than an hour. And only whit that you can do awesome UIs.

But videos... that would be really nice. Having several video tutorials showing basic concepts of XAML in Unity with NoesisGUI. We can help here.

27. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That would be great, man... I can create the elements art-wise (not a programmer) but I will definitely need to learn how to do it with code... such as life bars...

28. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'm definately not an artist, if you come at me with a GUI prototype (in form of a single image) + the cut images to do it, i'll be happy to send back a xaml sample we can go from there :)

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I will keep this in mind when I get to that stage... Will this be able to support development on the Xbox One/PS4?

30. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, it is planned. Although for now it is not high priority. Won't be in v1.1 or v1.2...

31. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am willing to wait... :) You have made an impressive package... I will definitely need to learn how to code a UI

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  32. sfernandez

sfernandez

You want a life bar... here you are:

Code (csharp):
    2. <Grid
    3.   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
    4.   xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">
    6.     <Grid.Resources>
    7.         <Style TargetType="ProgressBar">
    8.             <Setter Property="Template">
    9.                 <Setter.Value>
    10.                     <ControlTemplate TargetType="ProgressBar">
    11.                         <Border x:Name="PART_Track" BorderBrush="Orange" BorderThickness="2" Background="Gold">
    12.                             <Border x:Name="PART_Indicator" Background="Red" HorizontalAlignment="Left"/>
    13.                         </Border>
    14.                     </ControlTemplate>
    15.                 </Setter.Value>
    16.             </Setter>
    17.         </Style>
    18.     </Grid.Resources>
    20.     <ProgressBar x:Name="LifeBar" Width="300" Height="30" Minimum="0" Maximum="100" Value="40"/>
    22. </Grid>
    And the result:

$lifebar.png

;)

33. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Excellent example. Now, the accompanying code to set the value dynamically would be useful also I think. Either by setting it directly, or with some sort of bindings.

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Not bad... I will definitely grab this tool once I get Unity 4... :) I do have some custom life bar designs

35. sfernandez

sfernandez

If we want to set the value directly (I changed the template a bit so LifeBar.Value=100 means full life - whole bar is yellow, and LifeBar.Value=0 means no life - whole bar is red):

Code (csharp):
    2. <Grid
    6.     <Grid.Resources>
    11.                         <Border x:Name="PART_Track" BorderBrush="Orange" BorderThickness="2" Background="Red">
    12.                             <Border x:Name="PART_Indicator" Background="Gold" HorizontalAlignment="Right"/>
    17.         </Style>
    18.     </Grid.Resources>
    20.     <ProgressBar x:Name="LifeBar" Width="300" Height="30" Minimum="0" Maximum="100" Value="100"/>
    22. </Grid>
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using Noesis;
    6. public class LifeUpdater : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     ProgressBar _lifeBar;
    10.     // Use this for initialization
    11.     void Start ()
    12.     {
    13.         NoesisGUIPanel gui = GetComponent<NoesisGUIPanel>();
    14.         FrameworkElement root = gui.GetRoot<FrameworkElement>();
    15.         this._lifeBar = root.FindName<ProgressBar>("LifeBar");
    17.         this._lifeBar.SetValue(100.0f);
    18.     }
    20.     private float _life;
    21.     public float Life
    22.     {
    23.         get
    24.         {
    25.             return this._life;
    26.         }
    27.         set
    28.         {
    29.             if (this._life != value)
    30.             {
    31.                 this._life = Mathf.Clamp(value, 0.0f, 100.0f);
    32.                 this._lifeBar.SetValue(this._life);
    33.             }
    34.         }
    35.     }
    36. }
    Or even better, if we want UI to update automatically, we can use a DataContext and bindings:

Code (csharp):
    2. <Grid
    6.     <Grid.Resources>
    11.                         <Border x:Name="PART_Track" BorderBrush="Orange" BorderThickness="2" Background="Red">
    12.                             <Border x:Name="PART_Indicator" Background="Gold" HorizontalAlignment="Right"/>
    17.         </Style>
    19.         <LifeModel x:Key="lifeModel" Life="20"/>
    21.     </Grid.Resources>
    23.     <ProgressBar x:Name="LifeBar" Width="300" Height="30" Minimum="0" Maximum="100"
    24.         DataContext="{StaticResource lifeModel}" Value="{Binding Life}"/>
    26. </Grid>
    Code (csharp):
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
    5. using Noesis;
    7. namespace LifeTest
    8. {
    9.     class LifeModel : SerializableComponent
    10.     {
    11.         // Life
    12.         private float _life;
    13.         public float Life
    14.         {
    15.             get
    16.             {
    17.                 return this._life;
    18.             }
    19.             set
    20.             {
    21.                 if (this._life != value)
    22.                 {
    23.                     this._life = value;
    24.                     Noesis.Extend.PropertyChanged(typeof(LifeModel), swigCPtr.Handle, "Life");
    25.                 }
    26.             }
    27.         }
    29.         #region Noesis management code
    30.         private HandleRef swigCPtr;
    32.         public static void Register()
    33.         {
    34.         }
    36.         public LifeModel(IntPtr cPtr, bool cMemoryOwn): base(cPtr, cMemoryOwn)
    37.         {
    38.             swigCPtr = new HandleRef(this, cPtr);
    40.             Life = 100.0f;
    41.         }
    43.         public LifeModel(): this(Noesis.Extend.New(typeof(LifeModel)), true)
    44.         {
    45.             Noesis.Extend.Register(typeof(LifeModel), swigCPtr.Handle, this);
    46.         }
    48.         public override void Dispose()
    49.         {
    50.             lock (this)
    51.             {
    52.                 if (swigCPtr.Handle != IntPtr.Zero)
    53.                 {
    54.                     if (swigCMemOwn)
    55.                     {
    56.                         swigCMemOwn = false;
    57.                         if (Noesis.Kernel.IsInitialized())
    58.                         {
    59.                             Noesis.Extend.Delete(typeof(UnityObject), swigCPtr.Handle);
    60.                         }
    61.                     }
    62.                     swigCPtr = new HandleRef(null, IntPtr.Zero);
    63.                 }
    64.                 GC.SuppressFinalize(this);
    65.                 base.Dispose();
    66.             }
    67.         }
    68.         #endregion
    69.     }
    70. }
    Everytime LifeModel.Life value is changed, UI will be automatically updated :grin:

36. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Value isn't "assigned to the red part", value is assigned to the progress par, everything that is on top is there to style the ProgressBar (modify it's template, a control in WPF is a functionality, you can override redefine it's whole visual hierarchy, so in there he redefines the areas (by their template name) to be what he wants, full borders of a given color. You can remove everything on top of the progress bar definition it will still work, it just won't look like that (red on orange)

37. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Don't let the sample by sergio above scare you on the C# side, most of it (espcially in the 2nd case) is setup code that you only need to do once

38. sfernandez

sfernandez

And we are studying the way to get rid of it totally ;)

39. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

It is very cheap. If you feel a bit rich you can use eDriven which is $100 more but has very poor frame rate even on PC, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows 8. If you are feeling wealthy you can try ScaleForm Indy version at almost a thousand for 4 platforms, per developer but has serious problems, no official Unity 4.2 version.

Consider the time investment you need to learn vs. re-using WPF XAML.

40. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It's not even about price, eDriven scaleform are way way bellow in well, everything compared to this (except maybe on platform compatibility as i don't think Noesis is yet compatible with all unity platforms?). All of those are solutions that palliate the lack of a good GUI, they're mere bandages on the wound, Noesis "is" really a final solution if it ends up providing the full WPF MVVM experience then i won't have played a single game ever for which i wouldn't be able to duplicate the GUI in a few hours!

41. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Ronan, did you get the joke? :D

More expensive, but poorer quality...

42. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It doesn''t, they're well separated, Value doesn't change a size, it just change the % of the progressbar. The part above "redefines" what a progress bar is, and does so by redefining a named component, which is the component the progress bar control expects to display the %, so it gets sized appropriately. For most uses you won't have to override the definition, just to style it, redefinition are confusing because you redefine the base control, but you don't have the source for it so you immediately think "where is the link", the link is hardcoded. From blend you can get the default code however ( thus know what to name your parts) but really this isn't a very good example, for most cases you really just don't need to do this.

43. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Yea but i don't want to bash too much, i'm sure eDriven was a lot of work for example, and it was really a pretty good shot at making Line of busniess style GUI in unity before Noesis. But this release just trumps the competition. I can't really feel too sad for NGUI i mean, he kinda already made his sales hehe, but there are some other GUI project that are probably less lucky and will see a huge crash in their sales now that Noesis is here for sure.

44. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Yes progressbar is one of the numerous built in components.

45. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

That would be a huge boost. I'll likely use the previous example, getting components in Start().

46. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, it is a default control. They are listed in the Class Hierarchy of the documentation: TextBox, Button, RepeatButton, CheckBox, RadioButton, Expander, GroupBox, Label, Tooltip, Page, Toolbar, Listbox, ListView, StatusBar, TreeView, ProgressBar, ScrollBar, Slider, Separator...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  47. jdesantos

jdesantos

Not yet. For now we are only compatible with Windows, OS X, iOS and Android. We are preparing a table with information about each platform state: fully working, partially working, planned, not planned, etc.

48. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, the sample was a little bit tricky. But anyway, look at the XAML, so few lines for a Life Bar 100% functional.
    If people is interested we can translate NGUI samples to XAML in this thread to demonstrate how powerful and expressive is the format.

Of course, minimal samples. Don't bring here your entire project. Only snippets.

49. jdesantos

jdesantos

The runtime (the DLL that is present in the standalone) does not incorporate the xaml parser because that is a tedious and complex process (apart from parsing the xml, you have to resolve lots of things, compress textures...). The code in charge of doing the parsing is only present in the editor binaries. We have a command line tool to convert xaml to this optimal format. You can download this format and display.

Of course, if there is demand about having the parser in the runtime we can evaluate it. Although at first we think it is no sense. At least, for games.

50. MikaelTroc

MikaelTroc

Are there any examples where you place gui object above a gameobject like the lifebar for RTS units ? Is the performance good enough to have 50-100 such objects at the same time ?