Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Build An MMO

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cookimage, Jul 18, 2013.

1. cookimage

cookimage

Hi all, we here at Neojac Entertainment have been working on an MMO idea which we have put to action. What it is, is we are getting the community to tell us what they want in an MMO game and we are implementing it. We have teamed up with Markee Dragon who has a Twitch and Youtube channel and have been doing a few Round Table discussion sessions with the community in regards to this and the first thing that came up was housing. So we have just released the first video showing our in-game system that we came up with in response to the last round table. This MMO game is being created with our own MMO construction Kit we will be selling to you developers using Unity very soon.

[video=youtube_share;FxqF3BfoLGQ]http://youtu.be/FxqF3BfoLGQ

If you are interested in the MMO Construction Kit feel free to follow us in the Forum Thread for that.

To join in the round tables click here:
    Markee Dragon Live Twitch Show

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. aixaix

aixaix

This is a very great idea and for me it's unique, never seen a project like this!
    Great work! keep it up!

3. primus88

primus88

Nice to see you guys active again.
    I'm following you since the Islands of War era, when you were using the Multiverse engine.

Never liked that engine..
    That MMO wasn't bad, but my opinion was that it looked too much like WoW and an indie company cannot compete with Blizzard :)
    This project looks very promising and I'm looking forward to see how it develops.

I wish you the best of luck.

4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'd like permadeath.

Actually, I'm not joking. Having to actually care about your character's well-being would be a refreshing change to the MMO genre.

5. JamesPro

JamesPro

Hey guys... Multiverse didn't work out for you guys? What's the status with Islands of War?

6. cookimage

cookimage

We have stopped developing Islands Of War, seeing that we did a fresh start on client using Unity it has allowed us to move behold what we where planning with Islands Of War. With the new MMO and being able to latterly have the community decide what they want in the game it only made sense to do a brand new game. We have some really big plans with this which is going to help the Unity community allot as well as we do believe in in-powering other indie companies to be able to make successful MMO games and not have the market captured by only the big boys.

7. cookimage

cookimage

8. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Really like your concept of the game, havent really seen anything like it i dont think, a couple of features you could implement is a clone tool, a click and drag feature which selects multiple grids that lets you build/buy multiples at a time, i dont know if you had already thought of them, or been told to add them, but they are some features i thought of while watching the video :)

9. cookimage

cookimage

Yeah thats a good idea, we will have grouping in where you could select multiple at a time and group them together and do things with them like build a house and create a blueprint of the whole house you just build and sell that to players so they can build the same house with one click.

10. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

This looks really great! A couple questions and suggestions:

- I'm assuming the developer of the world (whether that's Neojac or a Unity developer who uses the MMO construction kit) can designate which areas of a world or zone can be purchased and built on, correct? I wouldn't necessarily want players to be able to build housing in a dungeon or on an obscure mountain top, for example.

- Kind of along with the idea of purchasing multiple squares of land at once, I would suggest implementing the ability to configure grids that have to be purchased all at once. For example, the developer can setup a 4x4 plot of land that a player has to purchase as a whole piece, rather than the individual squares. One concern I have is that a player may purchase individual squares here and there, which would ruin other players' ability to build in that area. If you can require that an entire block squares be purchased together, it helps prevent that type of griefing.

I joined your wiki and will be following the roundtables. (I can't participate, unfortunately, since they are during normal business hours in the US.) Looking forward to seeing your game develop as well as the MMO kit, of course. :)

11. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks for the feedback.
    - Yes you can set where you want the grids to spawn so can decide where players can build.
    - And yes you can set how many they must buy as well as zone grids so only certain things can be build there.

Good to hear you have joined our wiki, some really good ideas are coming out with the round table, very exciting as we will be implementing them into the game as well as into the MMO Kit. Some big news will be announced after next week!!

12. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

+1 for permadeath.

13. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Exciting news, cookimage! I remember you said in the MMO kit thread that August was a target date. :) I'm eager to see what you will announce!

14. cookimage

cookimage

Yes August the 15 is going to be a big day for us so stay tuned!!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  15. cookimage

cookimage

We will be doing a Kickstarter for our game on Thursday and one of the rewards will be alpha and beta access to the MMO construction Kit for Unity. Feel free to check for updates on the Kickstarter and a link to it next week Thursday 15 August.

16. nuverian

nuverian

Nice video :)
    Permadeath all the way.

17. John-G

John-G

Interesting, what will the pledge level to get access to the alpha be?

18. cookimage

cookimage

Cant release that yet, but it will also have any asset packages we release of in game assets we create during the development which at the end will be worth more than triple the actual pledge amount.

19. GenericGame

GenericGame

Agreed!

20. squared55

squared55

+1, as long as you can reach the max level fairly quickly.

21. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

August 15th is almost over in the US... :(

22. cookimage

cookimage

We had to move our kickstarter as it takes some time for a review from them. Ill update you when we have a more secure date.

23. cookimage

cookimage

New Character Creation Video.

24. cookimage

cookimage

Kickstarter will be launched on Monday September 9 for the game with new footage so be sure to check this thread for posting of it. There will be a special reward in it that will give you access to the Atavism engine early as well as all assets developed for the game worth over $3000 for way less. I will also be on live twitch channel Markee Dragon where you will be able to ask questions directly to me and get your answers

25. cookimage

cookimage

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  26. virror

virror

Link is broken, you probably copied a shortened version of it from somewhere : p

27. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

28. cookimage

cookimage

First Item removed from the daily rewards, Horse Dung so only 112 players will have this item in game which makes it a very rare item. Make sure to pledge even $10 to get the daily rewards for that day.

29. cookimage

cookimage

Video showing First Builder reward. You can see some grid designs.

[video=youtube_share;pq7B6_1yHX0]http://youtu.be/pq7B6_1yHX0

30. Beennn

Beennn

+1

31. cookimage

cookimage

We are moving towards Steam and would love your support there, thanks.
    Steam Support

32. cookimage

cookimage

New update on house building, we have added in a voxel system to handle things like walls and so on for house building. this will give players even more variety when they are playing Neos Land.

Here is a video of the latTes build V1.1

[video=youtube_share;DSFS8efnKzA]http://youtu.be/DSFS8efnKzA

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  33. cookimage

cookimage

For those that wants to see how we do our concept art we are streaming right now on twitch, hop in and chat a bit.
    http://www.twitch.tv/neosland

34. cookimage

cookimage

We are doing concept drawings every Thursday now on Twitch Live where the community helps with the design of a creature. Here is a concept of a DragonDog Creature the community came up with a few weeks ago and now its made it in-game.Please join us and give us your ideas you want made.

Attached Files:

35. janpec

janpec

Awesome DragonDog!! Great job on blending those alphas into mesh texture.

36. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks, here is a pic of the next model that will be revealed for the game Neos Land. This model will work with the UMA system so it will be able to morph to different sizes.

$forrest-npc-fighter1m.jpg

37. cookimage

cookimage

New UMA race Wood Elves the community designed for the game Neos Land which is part of the pledge Developers Package Assets you get on Neos land website.

$WoodElf_Progress.jpg

Attached Files:

38. cookimage

cookimage

New update showing new voxel system and game play.

[video=youtube_share;FxqF3BfoLGQ]http://youtu.be/FxqF3BfoLGQ

39. stridervan

stridervan

very interesting project

40. cookimage

cookimage

41. TVE

TVE

Very nice looking! I love this project, looking forward to progress.

42. CrazieSiberian

CrazieSiberian

Oh this is cool. Very nice work. I always loved voxel style building. it allows you to build with your own ideas and not prefabbed models.

43. mathias234

mathias234

Voxel in a MMO? how do you think the world will look after a few childs get to play?

44. cookimage

cookimage

you can change where poeple can build

45. cookimage

cookimage

That's one of the things that will always be there if you open it up for people to build. But we are not opening the whole world for building, and you have to place a claim down to build somewhere which is linked to your account so if you build bad things your account can get suspended.

46. cookimage

cookimage

New Screenshots

$ClosedAlphaScreen001.jpg

$ClosedAlphaScreen002.jpg

47. cookimage

cookimage

New video showing the crafting system in Neos Land:

48. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Amazing work!!!! I can't wait to see more updates. Keep doing what you are doing and this will be a hit! :).

Any chance you can tell me what you're using for your networking solution?

49. cookimage

cookimage

50. cookimage

cookimage