Search Unity

Preventing use class variables

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TheSniperFan, Jul 18, 2013.

1. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Hello.

I'm completely new to Unity and thus need some help because I have a problem I cannot solve the way I'd usually do.

Before I start working on the project I have in mind, I need to get some experience with Unity so I do smaller stuff (at the moment I do pong) to get used with Unity. So far I have to say that Unity has a unique, very comfortable workflow, but there's one thing I cannot do the way I wanted to.

The problem I have is that I need to manipulate/access properties of different GameObjects.
    Usually I would write a game or a logic-Object, create a new instance and call some sort of start()-Method from withing the main-Method. This logic-method would then manage everything (or most of the stuff) and if I needed to access a variable from another part of the script, I could just use base.getBLAH().
    The problem is that in Unity, when you attach a script to a GameObject, it's isolated since there is no main-Method.

I worked around the problem by turning the variables I need into public class variables. While this is the most convenient and performance-efficient way, it also has a major drawback. The variable shared across all instances and thus totally useless when I create anything more complex than pong.

So far I've read about SendMessage() and GetComponent(), but I don't quite understand how to use them yet. I would appreciate it if someone would help me at one part of my code.

Here's my specific problem:
    I'm writing pong and have a "Ball" component. I need to access the position of the Ball from within the "Player" GameObject (and other places too, but this one should do for me to understand).

Ball.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class Ball : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     [...]
    4.     public static Vector3 pos;
    5.     [...]
    7.     // Update is called once per frame
    8.     void Update () {
    9.         [...]
    10.         pos = mytransform.position;
    11.     }
    Player.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class Player : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     [...]
    5.     void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision)
    6.     {
    7.         if(mytransform.position.z > Ball.pos.z) {
    8.             [...]
    9.         }
    11.         [...]
    13.     }
    14. }
    You should get the idea.
    I also need to access other stuff from within different classes, but I think that if someone shows/explains me how to solve this problem here, I'll be able to do the rest.

Thanks in advance.

2. tonyd

tonyd

3. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

*facepalm*

I already saw that page and tried to apply it but failed.
    Turned out I confused GameObject.Find() with GetComponent(). I used the latter where I should have used the former and always got a Null-Pointer exception (or the Unity equivalent).

Player.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class Player : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     private Transform mytransform;
    4.     private Transform balltransform;
    5.     [...]
    7.     void Awake () {
    8.         mytransform = transform;
    9.         balltransform = GameObject.Find("Ball").transform;
    10.         [...]
    11.     }
    13.     [...]
    Works perfectly fine.

Thanks anyway! :D

4. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Move the Find call to Start to ensure that Ball is properly initialized before you find it.

5. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Thanks for the hint.

So if I understand it correctly Awake() is executed before Start() and thus I can use them like this:

Awake: Do stuff with this Object.
    Start: Do stuff with other Objects (Initialization for example).

Is this correct?

6. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Exactly correct. Anything called in Start can be called with the confidence that the scene is fully initialized.