Search Unity

Helo - BF3 Like Chopper Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by theAfrican, Jul 16, 2013.

1. theAfrican

theAfrican

New Map Update
    Thanx to the best terrain shader in unity. ULTRASHADER ive been able to create this new map. lars you rock!
    $borderlands.jpg
    Hi Guys, ive been working on this game. i have not really concentrated on graphics etc. the AI and gameplay is what i was trying to achieve. please comment on AI and how i can improve it. when i used to play bf3 online. i loved using the chopper and hated fighting for it( just to have it gunned down coz of lag). so i decided to create a game where i own it all the time....but still get that multiplayer feel....

Demo windows helo windows downlod demo
    Demo Mac helo mac downlod demo
    HOW TO PLAY
    tab - change camera view
    e - fire missile
    r - reload missiles

movement
    w - ascend
    s - descend
    a - yawing left
    d - yawing right

up arrow - pitch down
    down arrow - pitch up
    left - roll left
    right - roll right

please feel free to contribute to this project if interested $helo_2.jpg $helo_1.jpg $helo_4.jpg $helo6.jpg

i am currently uploading the web player version. if that works ill post the link here.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. theAfrican

theAfrican

3. Acelondoner

Acelondoner

Looks really cool.

4. augasur

augasur

Wow, look very good, I really loved the AI, it looks quite smart :)

How many time you have been working on this project?

What pathfinding algorithm are you using?

Could you provide more information about your AI? because I am really interested in making one for my game , but I do not know where to start :)

Is it made in C# or JS?

Are you using Pro or Free version of Unity?

Thanks,

Augustas

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. Jallen182

Jallen182

Ha! That game-play video looks awesome! This is a very interesting idea. I always loved the jets and planes in the Battlefield series, but it was always a challenge to get my hands on one and keep it for a while without getting shot down. Great work so far, keep it up!

6. theAfrican

theAfrican

its been 2 months i think. for AI i use a navmeshagent(invisible) for pathfinding, then some javascript for object detection, mecanim for animation. im using pro.

7. theAfrican

theAfrican

@augasur for ai, i create a navmeshagent(no renderer), then ask my characters to follow the agents transformation, something i learnt here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOyKchngB7w.

each ai enemy keeps a GameObject[] for all enemies(on the other team) for optimization.

then i use invokerepeating at 0.3secs for each ai, so as it can sort out nearest enemy.(better than calling this every update)

after i sort out nearest enemy, i detect which enemy on the closest ones is probably visible(vector3.Dot), if an enemy is behind me, i have a random can 'awareness' distance to help him change destinations.

it depends on your game. i use only javascript.

8. theAfrican

theAfrican

@Jallen182 thx for support. should i upload a demo, so as you guys can play and tell me any problems you come across? which platform should i upload for? i use windows

9. Jallen182

Jallen182

Definitely! Demos are always fun and a great way to show off what you've done so far. I would recommend the Windows/Mac/Linux standalone build, but you can also do a webplayer. I prefer do play the standalone, but a lot of people like to just play it in the browser so it's really up to you. Can't wait to play the demo! If you don't know how to publish a webplayer, here's a good tutorial.

10. theAfrican

theAfrican

@Jallen182 ive updated the post to include links

11. Gengarx33

Gengarx33

Wow. This game looks really amazing.
    And yeah, I was reading the other comments, you should put a demo.

12. theAfrican

theAfrican

@Gengarx33 i have put the demos up for mac and windows.... read the first post to get the links and please comment on anything you ddnt like, think can be improved etc

13. Jallen182

Jallen182

I loved the demo! Took me a minute to get the controls down, but once I got the hang of it it was really fun. You should put AI helicopters in the game to fight with since the ground troops make for easy targets. Great work though, the project is really coming along. Keep it up!

14. theAfrican

theAfrican

yup, my next plan is the enemy chopper, ground antiaircraft(1 on each team), then adding heatseakers to their arsenal. im also considering some naval warfare or will it be too much?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  15. Jallen182

Jallen182

It's whatever you think you can manage. Focus on the most important elements you want in your game then work on them. If when you get done with those you want to add more then add more. Naval warfare would be awesome, you could use carriers as a base for helicopters to attack a land target. Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas, so just stick with it. I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes. I'll be following it, good luck!

16. augasur

augasur

Hi, is the project dead? That would be shame, because it looked very promising.

17. theAfrican

theAfrican

18. theAfrican

theAfrican

been busy doing some other mobile app work. got to eat. anyway, im using the ultrashader to create better looking terrains, ive also been playing with the ocean shader. the scenes are coming to life. check the updates. i highly recommend the ultrashader if serious about terrains. unitys default is wack.

19. theAfrican

theAfrican

im changing this project to use the a* pathfinding project. navmeshagent wasnt calculating paths on huge terrains. just to fine tune this and ill realeas a demo with three huge maps. if anyone feels like sharing or creating 3d models for the levels please feel free. i just need strategic assets eg warehouses, petrol stations, boats, houses, refineries etc. here is a sample of the new terrain ive just finished

$kabale_2.jpg