Search Unity

cococ

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by hannes-dev, Jul 15, 2013.

1. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

could a mod change the title to "CubeLink - a puzzlegame with a twist" please?

update:
    looking for people to translate a little bit text in their own language:
    current languages already translated : dutch, english, chinese, russian, hungarian, german
    all others are welcome to apply

this is the text that needs translation
    here is the word doc: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8st66w4qd2ruqlr/Loc_English.docx or the pdf https://www.dropbox.com/s/882ft9gq07tus8b/Loc_English.pdf
    please contact me if interested and tell me what language

you get creditted in the game
    -------------------------------------
    $icon3_64.png CUBELINK $icon3_64.png

now in google play :D
    my first time i tried google play

Hey there

I am working on a puzzle game and decided to share a beta version and some screenshots.
    Still thinking of a cool name (this is so hard argh)
    so for now I ll call it - cococ - (short for color connect cube)
    I started this about 2/3 weeks ago. Got inspired by a online game 3D logic, but I wanted to rotate around the whole cube.
    So I created my own version (in unity duh) and here it is. Was a bit of a struggle with gimbal lock at first, but once that was out the way everything went pretty smooth. I also had my first experience with a basic pathfinding method to calculate the ends of a color line. It's based on recursive looking at your neighbours color.
    It was also my first experience with app development for android. I underestimated this a lot. The game was finished in a week, and porting it to android took another one. (supporting touchcontrols etc)
    And the polishing, option menu, main menu etc will also take a week i think.

you can play the webbuild on Kongregate
    if you have a kong account, you can get highscores in the chat tab

the only thing thats not yet done is the levelselect
    feel free to post any feedback, bugs

and some screenshots for you:
    $screen1_smal.JPG

the mainmenu, the credits, and the option menu that's just finished :
    the UI changes color based on the color of the background to be always visible

$menu_smaller.jpg

the game is relosution independent (since Android device come in every possible resolution)
    and it's coded in unityscript / javascript

It was also the first time I made sound effects, most of the time I use free ones from the internet

gameplay / gamemechanics:

the purpose of the game is to connect all the colors, you can do this by coloring the empty tiles
    to select a color click on the source (the one with a black or white square in it)
    the current selecter color will show up as white, and the others as a black square.
    when you connect 2 sources, you will hear a succes sound
    when you disconnect them again you ll hear a shut down sound
    it starts with a small cube and a few colors, and gradually adds more and more colors and expands the cube.

controls

web:
    leftmousebutton to color and select tiles, navigate in the menu
    rightmouse, middle mouse, r, or space to rotate
    (RMB is the easiest but in a browser it opens an annoying menu )
    scroll to zoom

android
    1 touch to color, select, navigate the menu
    2 touches (swipe) to rotate
    2 touches (pinch) to zoom (beta, not yet in the game)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

Haha 2 or 3 weeks? This is Brilliant! The UI is Beautiful! I can honestly say that this game might go places. The music fits in very nicely.
    About the name. Honestly what you have now, is not very catchy. I would suggest something like Cubee, or Cube Slider. Something a little more descriptive. All in all, very nice. You definitely have my download! :)

3. primus88

primus88

Played the game and I find it very well suited for mobiles.
    For me at least, I find some level much harder than others (even though they are lower in number). Does the numbering reflect the difficulty of the level ?

Also you could add different game modes like random challenge (quick level of a random difficulty).
    You could also throw in leaderboards so players can check how well they fair against other players and friends. In fact for games like this, I find it a must :)

4. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

ye but the problem is i am a hobbyist programmer, so i don't know anything about multiplayer or leaderboards :p
    the levels are kinda on difficulty, but sometimes you see a solution quicker
    it kinda depends on the person
    also to have a nice average i would need extensive testing by people, and atm only a few people have played it
    the random lvl is a good idea

atm i was planning, if you unlock lvl 15, then you can play 15, and all the previous lvls
    the random lvl could then pick from the already unlocked lvls

i could also try a lvl generator but that would be a lot more work
    and i have no idea how to make difficult lvls with it since it requires a bit of thinking for me
    so coding it would require even more thinking :D

for the UI, actually i am really bad at UI's, so my solution is keep it simple
    and it fits so i am happy :)

thx for the positive comments so far

yeah still no idea for the name ><
    it's so hard to give it a name that makes you think of it without even knowing it, and without being lame

keyword brainstorm:
    connect color slide click link cube line tangle knot source cell plane space fill empty 3d 6d brain puzzle smart rotate
    linking colors is the key gameplay, the fact that you can rotate around the cube is the secondary feature
    problem with colorlink is there are a lot of other colorlink games, most of them in 2d
    and saying in a simple way that you can rotate around whole the cube is not easy
    maybe 6d colorlinker, since you could see every plane of the cube as a dimension
    i hope i wake up tomorow and know it, that would be nice :)

5. C-Screator

C-Screator

I love this game but the only thing that bugs me is whenever I right click the settings appear and it really bothers me :mad: , will the official one do this?

6. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

you can also use your middle mouse, or hold R or Space to rotate
    it's not something I can change since it is browserbased
    i know it's possible o disable it in the code of the webpage itself but i will uplaod it on kongregate so i have no clue how to do that

7. C-Screator

C-Screator

ok thanks its a really good puzzle game,Makes you think.How long has this taken you?

8. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

almost 3 weeks

9. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Wow. Played this for a lot longer than I should have, haha. Only reason I stopped was because I thought I should get some work done on our own game! It's brilliant, love it :)

10. Jallen182

Jallen182

This game plays really well. The feel of the puzzles mixed with the awesome music and smooth UI is fantastic. Can't wait for the final version, will be following. Great work!

11. shaderop

shaderop

Looks absolutely gorgeous. Excellent work!

12. primus88

primus88

I remembered that I left feedback but without giving you some ideas for the title.

You could call it Color Connect, Color Link, Color Cube, or a mix of these. Just, not cococ :)

13. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Wow what a great puzzler! Really nice, best of luck.

14. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

thank you for the kind words :)

finally got the levelselect fixed up, resolution independent etc

only thing left is loading scores from already cleared lvls (time for lvl completion etc)
    and maybe some words like cleared and locked lvl

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  15. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

Made a video
    and named the game cube link
    The game is 95% finished, only thing left is polishign a bit and adding levels, levels, and more levels
    I also explain how the leveleditor works and a few more features from the game, take a look!

16. primus88

primus88

I see you taken some inspiration from my name tips :)

Glad I could help :p

17. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

haha :D
    the word link was a great one, thx for that
    cococ was indeed kinda nothing, and colorconnectcube was way to long
    I had a list of all kind of combinations with color cube connect link 3d flow etc
    but almost everything existed
    google it, and you find it a) on the internet b) on the appstore c) on google play
    there where even games on google play with the same name :)
    can't imagine how they keep popping original names.
    anyhow, I'm glad it's solved
    now some lvl design and put it online and hope people enjoy it

18. Jallen182

Jallen182

Cube link is a great name for it. It's simple and describes the game really well. Looking forward to a finished Cube Link!

19. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Interesting game. Easy to get going on, gets tricky later on. I like it.
    One suggestion: The right click rotate is good but is too slow for me. I suggest adding a control sensitivity slider to the preferences - especially if you plan to put on mobile - where touch sensitivity varies plenty between devices. On my laptop with a touch-pad the cube rotated too slowly. Minor point though.

Do you plan to add cool wizzy effects/transitions or are you going to keep it clean and simple? Either way, I like where this is going.

20. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

could you give an example of the wizzy effect/transition you have in mind?
    the sensitivity is already build in, so I ll just add a slider to the optionmenu, good idea!

21. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Simple 3D puzzle games often visually reward each the player's successful moves - e.g. connecting one colour gives a psychedelic flash and particle effects. And something even more explosive often happens when you complete that whole puzzle. But this could easily be overdone so you might be heading towards something more subtle.

For a more subtle example of slick transitions between levels: I really like the style of Splice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDsJjGm4oY - every interaction is rewarding, it feels slick to play and has a fluid feel. Not saying you need to change anything, I was really asking what direction you are going in?

However you do it, I really like your game, the core puzzle is great fun.

Another thought - I know you are targeting mobile, but for the web-player, why don't you let the left button click drag do a rotate if the click starts off the cube? Might work nicely for touch too?

22. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

ye thats a cool idea, to give some visual feedback
    splice looks splendid, another game i have to check out one day

the left btn outside the cube for rotate will give problems, especially on device
    the problem with device is that input isnt always accurate, i already noticed on my device if i put my 2 fingers close to eachother he detects it as 1 finger,
    and when i hold the finger on screen and drag, he sometimes thinks i let go of the screen and click again
    so if normal click outside the screen would do that a lot of random glitches could happen when you do something and accidentaly rotate
    I am quite new to mobile so maybe I am missing something or there is a smart way to do things, but for now I ll keep it simple and ensure it works decent.

here is a new colorpallette
    $colorpalet.jpg

23. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

I added languages in the option menu
    current languages : english, dutch, chinese
    first time localisation in one of my games :D

24. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

added russian and hungarian to the game
    will add german to

25. hannes-dev