Search Unity

Point and Click Adventure Kit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnnyA, Jul 13, 2013.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

A kit for creating adventure games.

Here's WIP on a mobile extension to the core framework which will enable zero-code creation of the typical mobile style of adventure games.

[video=youtube_share;sAAUXeoZ2Lk]http://youtu.be/sAAUXeoZ2Lk​

I'm also trying to find the old video showing capabilities of the kit which includes much more complex interactions.

The short term plan is to release the mobile framework including editor tools for zero code adventure games.

The long term plan is to produce a bunch of sample games which you can reuse and/or extend.

Here's some lists which may whet your appetite :)

Core Component List

Save/Load System [Done]
    Item and Interaction System [Done]
    Inventory System [Done]
    Dialogue System [Partial]
    Music and Cutscenes
    Event System [Done]

Sample Game List
    Mobile Sample [Partial]
    Sierra Style
    3D Find the Object Style
    Integration with FPS Sample
    Integration with 2D Platform Controller

2. Luca91

Luca91

Fantastic work, mate ! Sierra Style adventure system would rock !!! Keep up the good work ;)

3. outtoplay

outtoplay

Johnny... you prolific bastard. Bravo.

4. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Nice Work Johnny!!!

5. Felix King

Felix King

This will be epic, Johnny! At my company we are working on an hidden object / point and click adventure style game for the iPad. Initially I planned to use a kit announced almost half a year ago by another developer as a starting point. Nothing happened since that announcement. From your 2D Platform Controller I learned that you keep your promises and provide great support :)

When will the "Core Component" version hit the asset store?

Cheers,
    Felix

6. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Nice work! Looks pretty solid. I'm also interested, what's the ETA to release?

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

My current plan is to release the Mobile Extension + editor with the core components wrapped as a DLL. I still need to add some sample puzzles and of course the editor which allows code-free creation. No fixed plan but hopefully around 4 weeks at worse. Price approximately $25 with source code for the code available via private arrangement.

Next will be the full package which will be core components + mobile extension + sierra style extension with full source. Maybe another 4-6 weeks later (depending on interest, time, etc). That will be around $50.

Finally if you are a customer of my other assets (i.e. 2DPC) then I could probably arrange for a free beta copy, at least for a few people :)

8. parnell

parnell

nice!
    This looks really solid, the idea that it will play nice with the controller is just even more awesome.
    Let me know when to throw my money at this;)
    B

9. robinball

robinball

I'm very interested in the Sierra style game type. I already have a basic setup for getting a character moving about a scene by pointing and clicking. But the inventory system defeated me.

10. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I'm not a fan of DLL's but as long as it supports iOS/Android/WP8 I should be fine... I have no current plans for a platformer, but 2DPC looks good enough for a future use investment, I might go ahead with it if it's a key to granting beta access...

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm only wrapping it as a DLL, so as to not hurt sales of the full kit (which will be full source). The main reason to get the smaller kit out is to test the market and to give me motivation to finish the full product.

The alternative is to deliver the whole kit with only the mobile example in place ... but it just seems a bit wrong to deliver a large complex framework, with an example that only uses 25% of its features.

All of that said, if the overwhelming sentiment is full source is a must I'm likely to bow to it ;)

12. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

Sweet! It's awesome to see the variety of stuff being created in the community! :) Good Job!

13. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Fair enough :)

As long as there is a way to access source no DLL option, I'm good... It would be nice to have it in initial smaller package, but full kit will also do...

Btw, I've just purchased 2D Platform Controller. Great work, it's so nice I think it'll inspire/force me to do a platformer asap... :p Anyway, I know that won't guarantee anything but It would be nice have one of the beta copies when available....

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks for the kind words ... here a first look at the editor (yes I know still along way to go).

15. outtoplay

outtoplay

Gonna be a gem. Nice progress, Johnny.

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Cheers, hopefully another video in a few days.

17. SteveW

SteveW

This is looking good, always wanted to do a point and click. Will def be getting this!

18. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

A small update:

[video=youtube_share;WohliMb1ONk]http://youtu.be/WohliMb1ONk

19. SteveW

SteveW

Looking very slick. Have you got a release date in mind yet ?

20. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Looking nice!

One Q, on the video it looks like you're swapping out whole scene textures for the closed open door version of the scenes. Will it be possible to use just one scene (door open version) and a door object to hide/show as needed? That would save nice amount of texture space...

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yes a Door is considered an item in the system and like any other item it can have a texture attached to it.

22. Felix King

Felix King

Hey JohnnyA,

Any update on the timing? I would love to get a copy of the beta, so my developer can evaluate the kit. If that's possible I'll send you a Mail/PM wit the invoice no. of my 2DPC copy.

Cheers,
    Felix

23. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sure Felix, use the support email address in the 2DPC instructions.

Progress wise, things slowed down a bit because I'm preparing an entry for the Windows competition. I'll be updating this within the next week with the item editor. Then maybe another week or two to clean up for first release.

Cheers,

John A

25. GenericGame

GenericGame

cool concept. I'm interested. Now following you on twitter.

26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

An update with a few screen shots of the Item Editor:

$Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 12.07.57 PM.png
    Combine two items to make other items.

$Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 12.08.21 PM.png
    Various effects are possible.

27. SteveW

SteveW

Looking really good, I've got a game I was working on, what size of images will be needed ?

28. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

No fixed size, although each scene image will need to be the same size. I'd say work to some large base size with a long aspect ratio (for example iPhone 5 resolution) and ensure the same images work when cropped for different aspect ratios(noting that basic scaling will be handled automatically by Unity).

- John A

29. caitlyn

caitlyn

This looks great! So we'll be able to make SCUMM and TT Interactive type games? Can't wait...

30. Shwgroove

Shwgroove

This is absolutely brilliant. I always wanted to make a Point and Click game. I already have scenario and stuff. Now waiting for this product to be finished and start the work.

Nice one JohnnyA!

31. mylesb

mylesb

Been waiting a long time for this :)

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Heh a little bit longer to wait but hopefully not too long. I expect item editor will be done this week, then I need to add a puzzle creation framework (at least a few simple templates you can use). Probably 2-3 weeks for beta, and maybe another week or two after that for official release.

33. SteveW

SteveW

Sounds really good, I was going to ask on the puzzles front. But you seem to have it covered. Will there be an option to add sounds, animations etc to certain screens or conditions.

34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Darn I forgot about sounds. Yes sounds have to be there.

Animations are probably a no for the initial mobile framework, however if you are willing to write a bit of code and work with the Unity editor I'll be happy to guide you through the process (my record of providing detailed support is pretty good)

35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Another update, you can now drag the items on to the scene and position and scale them:

[video=youtube_share;e21agb8XPZc]http://youtu.be/e21agb8XPZc​

Whats next:

- Rotate items
    - Alternate item views
    - Delete items and transitions

And after that:

- Add sounds for events
    - Simple puzzle examples (combination locks/vaults)

36. patoland

patoland

Wow, this is looking AWESOME!! i can't wait for the Sierra style version, keep it rocking man!

37. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

:cool:

38. Shwgroove

Shwgroove

Hows its going JohnnyA?

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Not much progress since the last update as I have been busy, hopefully something new to report next week.

- John A

40. softwizz

softwizz

I am going to buy this, more interested in a mobile optimised version as I would focus on creating games for Android tablets.

41. Shwgroove

Shwgroove

Me too :)

42. lfcarrasco

lfcarrasco

Your platform controller is excellent. Can't wait for this to be available. Sierra style!

43. fiorentin

fiorentin

Just fantastic, been waiting for something like this for a long time! Would it also be possible to drag and drop items from inventory?

44. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I am the photographer of the demo elements in the asset. If you do research on JonnyA...he is an awesome developer .(Look at his signature) This point and click asset has been really needed in Unity and I am very excited about it too...!

45. DavidFenner

DavidFenner

I'm VERY interested in this. You can count on me as a buyer.

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks guys, I'm working on platform controller at the moment, but will spend a good solid session on the point and click this evening. WIll be a new video released and if things go very smoothly maybe even ready for a few beta testers to have a shot at it.

EDIT: Just a note this is for the mobile style only. The Sierra/LucasArts style will be some time away as the editor for that will be somewhat more complex (editor for paths to walk to items, character animations, etc, etc).

47. outtoplay

outtoplay

All good Johnny, we'll take it as it comes. As long as you're enjoying the dev of this asset I'm sure we'll enjoy the fruits of your labor. You're stuff is terrific and it's great to see you working with other top tier devs like Unikron to exhibit the combined power of your coding goodness. Digital beers for all!

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Made some progress today:

1. Items can now be set up to automatically change when an event has been triggered (this was in the base code but the mobile stuff had no view to show it)

2. Touches work at multiple resolutions and aspect ratios (if you design for the widest ratio it should work for everything as long as you don't put touchable items on the edges).

3. More menu items to make development easier (clear data, etc).

Whats next for today:

1. Add more complex interaction to the item editor.

2. Add the missing delete functions

3. New video -> creating a (simple) game from scratch.

49. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Small progress update:

50. softwizz

softwizz

Looking good so far. The new feature of items being visible or not looks cool, already had a couple of ideas on how to use it before the video had even finished.