Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Level Up! - IOS Running Game with a Twist

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by LightSource, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LightSource

LightSource

I have always liked running games, fast paced and reflex intensive. Especially those in which the developer decides to do something to break the monotony of games that are now beginning to plague the current market. What I would like to propose, and what I would like an opinion on, is a simple running game but with a twist. Instead of leveling up the character, you would upgrade the game itself.

When you start out, you would be given literally the bare minimums. An incredibly simple character (a sphere or a cube, ect.), a platform, and some simple holes to jump over. This, I am hoping to present in a humorous manner. Maybe a unnamed deity who decides to have some fun with the player. He gives you some coins to start out when he gets bored of you running and jumping in a straight line, which you can take and buy random coin placement under the coin tree from the market. Although, this advancement won't only extend to coins.

Amassing wealth you will be able to upgrade everything from the enemies to the player to the menu sound and particle effects. AI, textures, coin multipliers and more will be under specific trees. Eventually the game will be played to the players choices, deciding to upgrade enemies to amass extra loot, or procedural speed increases as the level progresses to get a bigger multiplier, all while making the game nicer and making the player want to continue to progress.

A heavy task, but easy to implement and easy to upgrade. Interesting?

Note: This thread contains GIF pictures. The graphics quality does not reflect what is currently gameplay.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. LightSource

LightSource

3. The Ghost

The Ghost

4. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

I am liking the idea!

5. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Great idea, this would probably be a game that people would actually play if executed correctly (Upgrade complete was seriously addictive and all kinds of endless games with upgrades are rather popular atm). So do it fast before someone steals your idea :D

6. LightSource

LightSource

Glad you found that! I had played the game a long time ago and remembered it when I was nursing the concept. I loved the gameplay, and I hope to put a nice spin on the idea with this.

I'm happy to hear that!

I'll certainly

Update:

The first model is in and animated to start the ball rolling. Please welcome Spikey, your classic game enemy.

$SpikeyGIF.gif

I'm going for a "vertex lit" art style if thats a thing. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. LightSource

LightSource

The next model has been created, and I am happy with the results, although I can't come up with a name for it for the life of me. Suggestions are always welcome.

$Eye.gif

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  8. LightSource

LightSource

I really like making menus for some reason. Good first impressions are always welcome and although this was a fairly quick job, I did focus on quality. The first title screen work in progress has been completed. I tried to fill the background as much as I could, but more enemies will be added to the background in the future just to make it that much more chaotic. Currently I am focused on gameplay, so I won't be making any major changes, but as always, I will take every suggestion into account.

$MenuScreenComp1.gif

See this for change details.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  9. LightSource

LightSource

I have finished the backgrounds for the upgrade menu in order to prepare for the implementation of the upgrade tiles. What I hope to achieve as the final product is a scrollable tree stem starting with three categories (gameplay, UI, and mechanics) branching off into tiles, which can be upgraded three times each, but only requires one upgrade to advance to the next tile. What you see here is a taste of the advancement system where you have the three versions of the menu background, which will be under the UI tree, probably under textures.

Original:

$Original Upgrade Background.png

Upgrade One:

$Upgrade1 .png

Upgrade Two:

$Upgrade2.png

Upgrade Three:

$Upgrade3.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  10. LightSource

LightSource

Quick note: I have decided as I create my flow chart, to use the menu shown above as the second upgrade in the "texture" tree under interface. It will be edited greatly. Quick teaser then, see you tomorrow with the upgrade details.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  11. LightSource

LightSource

Here I have a diagram for the upgrade requirements and listings simply to show myself an accurate portrayal of what I need to work on. I will be posting descriptions of each tile soon. This format for the upgrade tree will not be used in the game. Although, thinking about it, it would be good for the interface tile...

$Upgrade Flow - New Page.png

12. LightSource

LightSource

Key: Upgrade Advances = 1 * number

Gameplay:

Coins:
    1. Procedural Coin Generation.
    2. Coins on enemy kill
    3. More Coins

Multiplier:
    1. Bonus for time adds total points
    2. Bonus for distance
    3. Bonus for enemies killed

Achievements:
    1. Adds achievements to menu
    2. + Achievements
    3. + Achievements

Combos: (adds to points)
    1. General attack combo
    2. Jumping on enemies
    3. D-D-D-Double jump!

Character:
    1. 8 bit models
    2. 16 bit models
    3. Platform ninja

Enemies:
    1. 8 it models
    2. 16 bit models
    3. 3D (with orthographic camera) models

AI:
    1. Slime shoots goo (more coins on kill / unlocks easy mode)
    2. Diving on flying eye (more coins on kill / unlocks normal mode)
    3. Spikey follows you... slowly (more coins on kill / unlocks hard mode)

Animation:
    1. Better character animations
    2. Better enemy animations
    3. Better death animations

UI:

Textures:
    1. Better textures v1
    2. Better textures v2
    3. Better textures v3

Interface:
    1. Cleans up upgrade menu
    2. Cleans up achievements
    3. Simplifies upgrade menu

GUI:
    1. Make buttons prettier
    2. Make text prettier
    3. Make

Screen:
    1. +Screen width
    2. +Screen height
    3. Build to Full Screen

Mechanics:

Settings:
    1. Adds settings to menu
    2. Adds audio options
    3. Adds text options

Particles:
    1. Jump particles
    2. Death particles
    3. Better Particles

Physics:
    1. Jumping is smoother
    2. Enemies fall off platforms
    3. Particles react to environment

Audio:
    1. Adds audio
    2. +Better audio
    3. +More audio

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. LightSource

LightSource

Seems like people don't have much interest in the project. What am I doing wrong? Should I shelve it?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  14. mudibushnaq

mudibushnaq

maybe u have to show up some gameplay videos .. ppl lets say some and i am one of them i get interested when i see a gameplay ..

15. LightSource

LightSource

Sounds good, thanks for the suggestion! I'll take that in mind, and start preparing some gameplay or a webplayer.

16. C-Screator

C-Screator

I've been watching this game for a while and it looks great I just didn't comment because I wasn't sure what to say ;)

17. LightSource

LightSource

Thank you, I am very happy to hear that.

18. TheRaider

TheRaider

Your art style is really awesome!!!!!

19. LightSource

LightSource

Also, sorry for the delay between posts, I am trying to port my current build onto an iPhone, but because the apple dev site is down and I can't get the current copy of Xcode, I am reformatting a good portion of my code to work on the PC as as well, something I should have done in the first place. Webplayer coming soon, I promise.

20. dtg108

dtg108

I love the style, don't know why more aren't commenting on this thread. Great work, definitely DO NOT shelve!

21. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

Perhaps Hovereye?

22. LightSource

LightSource

Always makes my day, thanks for keeping me on track.

Actually, I quite like that...

23. LightSource

LightSource

Just something quick to hold you off, here are the tile upgrades. These will be included in the upgrade menu which I plan to have up an running in the webplayer so you can fully upgrade every tile and see what happens. Currently, what will be able to see in menu is upgrade the audio, textures, interface, and screen. No, links to actual running gameplay in the upcoming demo.

Original:

$Tile 1.png

Upgrade #1:

$Tile 2.png

Upgrade #2:

$Tile 3.png

Upgrade #3:

$Tile 4.png

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  24. Metabble

Metabble

This is an interesting concept. I've seen it done a few times before, but not in this genre. I will be keeping a close eye on your progress, so keep up the good work!

25. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

Glad you like, naming is kinda easy once you create all sorts of zany weapons. :)

26. primus88

primus88

This could become a really interesting game. I played some flash games in this manner, where you had to upgrade everything, from the game menu, sounds and gameplay.
    Also, it is nice that you keep your work very organized and structured.
    People often forget how important these elements are for a consistent development.

27. TheRaider

TheRaider

I think it is pretty unique to upgrade the game and pretty risky since you see the game at the worst to start

28. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

I agree with this. Organization is very important. What I do is I get the gameplay perfect before focusing on music, sound effects, graphics, ect.

29. LightSource

LightSource

Its really nice to look up and see 600 fps on screen, although to be fair, it is just a few glorified textures. Sometimes you just need to trick yourself into thinking you're a genius sometimes.

Please do, keep me going!

I do try my best to keep organised, thank you for noticing. After multiple small project disasters I have learned to structure like a madman.

I agree, but don't you worry, I have something planned for that. ;)

Thanks for taking such an interest! Its really nice of you to comment so much, and all positive as well. Stay tuned!

30. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

Glad to do so. This is an interesting concept. If you ever need assistance, Just drop me a PM and I'll take a look. :)

31. LightSource

LightSource

I was going to give you the completed menu screen, but I decided to give you the cleanest version I have and gradually build on it. I would love some constructive criticism on the tile textures and the overall format, along with views on the ease of use. Keep in mind this is the barest of bones and I will be improving upon it gradually as soon as I can get the various additions debugged.

Webplayer Link Here

For the next build:

Arrows
    Unlocking Tiles
    Clean coin starting system

*Also Note: This was built for mobile: scrolling is faster on the smaller screen then on the web version.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  32. primus88

primus88

Except scrolling to see what you can unlock, can you actually unlock anything in this version?

EDIT after the question was answered :
    It is all good Light. Menus like this must remain simple indeed. I don't know how it looks on handset, but on webplayer, the icons are big and there is a lot of space between them. Maybe you can scale it down a bit.
    That would be the only observation.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  33. LightSource

LightSource

No you can't. This version is primarily to show off the tile icons. I tried to make it the simplest interface I could because the upgrade system could get a bit confusing. On the next build there will be though, along with a few more aesthetics.

EDIT: After response:

Feedback, Yum! Actually, on mobile the icons need to be really large for Iphone users. And the spaces in between are for the arrows to point where the next upgrades will be, as I want to make it as little as chaotic as possible (four as in one sentence, nice).

34. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

I'm impressed, You have done a great job so far, will be looking forward to seeing more.

35. LightSource

LightSource

You flatter me. There is nothing to be impressed about so far, just a few textures and some transformations. Thanks for your kind words, none the less.

36. LightSource

LightSource

Here is a quick picture of the GUI that will be used for the coins. This itself is not much of a feat, but behind the scenes the coin system is near complete. Now for the arrows, if I can figure out vectrocity without substantial loss of hair...

$GUICapture.png

*Updated with PNG image on request. Not a really important update, but I might as well for neatness sake.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  37. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

I can't see the image... try reposting it in the .png format.

38. JSierraAKAMC

JSierraAKAMC

This is a very nice game. I will buy it if you sell it.

39. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

Now that looks very good. You are a great digital artist. :)

40. Misanthropic2013

Misanthropic2013

Just stumbled upon this thread somehow... your idea for the game is amazing! I love the idea of the game world changing and upgrading itself. It sounds like an awesome idea. Definitely keep this up! Love the art style so far as well.

41. LightSource

LightSource

Thanks!
    __

Okay, so hows this for an idea. I have been working on the procedural runner stuff in order to get base gameplay done. While I was testing it I found the blocks were random, but only once, and would be the same combination on all systems. So I was thinking, why not leave that and allow for the thrill of discovering new level space that no one has gone to before (maybe it will inform all the other players or something like that) after passing through well known territory.

It would continue to generate randomly as the farthest player progresses, so it would keep level design while constricting file size to the maximum extents, as it would all be in the algorithm.

A level that's procedural, but not. The impossible game but infinite. The more you upgrade the farther you go. It would give players an incentive to keep playing.

What do you guys think? Want to keep the classic runner, or try something new?

42. ExplodingCookie

ExplodingCookie

I say you try something new. I really dislike companies that do the same thing over and over (looking at you CoD) instead of keeping the experience fresh and trying out new ideas.

43. LightSource

LightSource

Yay, it is officially a running game! All this build contains is a level which is generated as the player moves forward. This is the earliest is can possibly be, so there are lots of things that are wrong with it. I have more, but this is the cleanest, non computer crashing build I can find, and I will be improving upon it gradually as I get the various additions debugged. This means, there is no death, no progression and no goal. I'm alternating working on each level, so expect an update on the upgrade menu itself, next.

Webplayer Link Here

For the next build:

Better random level generation
    Stable Player
    Difficulty Progression
    Timer
    Distance Tracker

Known problems:

Player rotating instead of staying strait upright
    Same level generating repetitively for some people.
    Jagged corners on floor.
    Players can sometimes continue jumping even though they are grounded

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013