Search Unity

[Released] TODO List (from your code)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by stanislav-osipov, Jul 3, 2013.

1. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Get From Asset Store | How to use

This editor extension will build TODO list relaying on your script comments.

Benefits:
    • Works after import.
    • Parse your code to build TODO list.
    • Configurable Tags.
    • Searching.
    • Double Click on TODO note to open script.
    • Script Inspector2 support (for scripts opening).
    • JS and C# support

And this is how it looks
    $dark.png

$light.png

$dark2.png

Thank you for your time, I hope you enjoy this tool.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. mgear

mgear

Hi,

Does it jump to that exact line also? (on scite or mono or vs?)

3. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Hi, mgear

Yes, it will jump to the exact line!

It will open script in program you have selected as default Unity Script Editor (Under Unity Preferences->External Tools->External Script Editor).
    The only exception is, if you have ScriptInspector2 Unity Extension installed, that it will open script there.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. Jake-L

Jake-L

Hi,

nice idea. May I suggest uploading it again with Unity 3.5.7, you'll loose potential customers when your package is only 4.x (I assume you're not using any special stuff that requires Unity 4). Also, looking at your screenshot I see a list called "Tegs". You're meaning "Tags", aren't you?

5. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Hello, Jake
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that or just add note that it works in Unity 3.5.*

Yes this is a typo) I notice it few hours ago and hoping that no one would notice it until i fix this :)

6. stefmen

stefmen

great stuff thanks!

7. exiguous

exiguous

purchased your package and want to tell you my thoughts.
    pros:
    generally a good idea and it works.
    cons:
    typos. i'm also not english native speaker and consequently ignore capitalisation in english. but having "tegs" even in the code (AddTeg) you sell is a bit poor.
    the font is way too big and wastes much space. i'm used to read all the tiny font in unity so your package would also do with it. maybe make it configurable.
    there is no code, i have reflectored the dll and there is no magic going on. so why this additional hurdle for people who want a quick change?
    what happens when i have configured the tags manually in the TConfig file and import a new version of your package? guess: i can start from scratch. there could be an editor for it.
    it is not mentioned in the documentation wether the tags are case sensitive or not. so is //TODO the same as //todo?
    also it should me mentioned if the search operates on all found tags or only the selected subset.
    also i find it a bit "critical" to include the comment into the tag. in my opinion // todo should be the same group as /* TODO, i often append the todo-tag and content at the end of an explanatory comment like // does what it should, #todo could look better. so my suggestion is to parse for both comments and look anywhere inside them for the tag-keywords lower and uppercase. also display the whole comment if a tag is encountered.
    so generally look for "//" and "/*" and when you find one look for the closing "/n" or "*/". then search the string inbetween for the tags and suggest the user to configure only the keywords. this way one could also quickly add a tag to find all occurences of other comments like loop, particle or system.

i don't want to be harsh or overcritical as i expect the package to evolve. you have made a usefull little tool. but it cannot hurt to have someone else have a look before release to avoid those "silly" little mistakes. currently i would rate it 3 stars as there are no dealbreakers but there is room for improvements.

a question: when do you reparse the scripts? do you look for a notification/event from unity? do you only parse changed scripts or all of them?

8. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Hello exiguous, thx for the feedback.
    Next update is coming soon. Here is my plans to the future updates

* size settings
    * add multiline comments support
    * test AssetPostprocessor for more quick parsing

I just like when editor extensions for unity ships as dll's. if I will get few feedback that wit should be Open Source. I will make it Open Source. For now I can send sources if requested.

No. Probably for someone it means different. Kind of big and little todo thing) But you can treat it as you with.
    Code (csharp):
    2. AddTag ("//TODO", "#TODO now");
    3. AddTag ("//todo", "#TODO later");
    or if you what it to me the same, you cad do this.
    Code (csharp):
    2. AddTag ("//TODO", "#TODO");
    3. AddTag ("//todo", "#TODO");

Well the file it's rely easy to export / import between projects. But if I will do editor than, for storing data I will use EditorPref, in this case you will start over configuring your TODO list in every new project. And if you or other extension call EditorPref.clear(), that you have to start over again.

It's parsing all files. It doest take much time, I test it on a really big projects. Beside it will parce it only when your activate TODO tab. And this kind of solution guarantees that you TODO list is always up to date.
    But I steel considering using AssetPostprocessor for detecting changes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  9. exiguous

exiguous

i meant it more in that way that you should warn the user in the documentation to backup this file before updating.

thanks for the info.

why? i see many people complaining having no direct access to the sourcecode what is especially a problem when the developer "vanishes" or abandons his project. and i tend to agree. and i also like to have a look at code when i want to learn from it and see how a feature can be accomplised. nobody can force you to give out the code but for a customer it cannot hurt to have it ;).

10. exiguous

exiguous

bug report:
    Cleaning up leaked objects in scene since no game object, component or manager is referncing them. Texture2D has been leaked 4xk times.
    this appears everytime i save my scene and immediately after the changed indicator (* in window tile) appears again. when i close the todo-list tab this behavior is gone.
    so when the tab is open there is a texture2d leaked somehow several tenthousend times.
    i use Unity Pro 4.1.2.f1 on win 7 64 bit.

11. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Thx for report. This kind of message is only Unity warning. But I will fix this in upcoming version. New version will be submitted tomorrow.
    And by the way thx for helping me make this tool better, I hope you will enjoy new version.

12. exiguous

exiguous

i know but its there for the reason to warn us that something is not like it should be ;). and it effectively disables the scene changed indicator as the scene is changed permanently.

you are welcome and i'm sure i will.

13. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Version 1.5 has been released

Bug fixes
    • Texture leak warning on scene save fixed

Improvments
    • parsing speed improved
    • multiline comment support
    • source code is open now
    • right-click menu with size option added

$e3bea893-2571-4525-b9e5-f225a0458dc1_scaled.jpg

14. serpin

serpin

I have Unity 4.3 and Mono 2.8.2 (set as default in preferences). I've kept old Mono since Mono 4 is a piece of s**t.

Double-clicking any line in TODO list just opens a new copy of Mono and doesn't jump to any lines.

Does your asset work with Mono 2?

15. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

It actually depends of Unity installation. So removing Unity default mono can cause issues. Is Clicking on debug line in Unity editor brings you to correct line of script?

Cheers!

16. donov

donov

does not work with unityvs :(

KhaledM likes this.
  17. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Thanks for report will have a look.

18. KhaledM

KhaledM

+1 to make it work with UnityVS

donov likes this.
  19. donov

donov

will this ever be resolved?

20. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Sorry for delay guys. On it.

donov likes this.
  21. donov

donov

I am in the middle of developing a tool, and lots of TODO's and FIX's :).
    this bug is a deal breaker for me. I want to get this asset.Please do fix it

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  22. donov

donov

just use this for opening the class on line, in the OpenClass:

var o = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath(AssetPath, typeof(TextAsset));
    AssetDatabase.OpenAsset(o, line);

- Cant click on tags sometimes, they show up on the left, just cant click them

Something is off in the GUI with the dotted lines, looks weird
    Code is also messy, lots of unused code

Would like it to also feature notes on GameObjects in the hierarchy, to complete the tool

23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just installed this U5 and UnityVS / Visual Studio - not working - an update would be much appreciated.

24. donov

donov

make the above change in code for UnityVS, the developer is MIA

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

26. TechiTech

TechiTech

Lacost are you still alive?

Interesting in buying this, but you need to fix it first.