Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Medieval Magic - RPG - First game!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by pickle-chips, Jul 1, 2013.

1. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

MEDIEVAL MAGIC

STORY:
    Hundreds of years ago, the two greatest wizards in all of mankind went to war. It was during this war that the most deadly magic ever known to man was developed. This magic is now known as ```The books of Ancient Magics``. Centuries after recovering from this devastating war, the world lives in harmony. The books are hidden in an isolated town in the middle of nowhere, which is not marked on any map in existence. They are guarded by only a few peasants and their families.. This system worked fine, until one day...
    You fell asleep while you were on guard.
    You were asleep while the books were stolen.
    You are responsible for the destruction that came.
    You are responsible for saving the world.

The Game
    I made everything myself from scratch, using blender, gimp, labchirp (for sounds) and of course, unity. It will be a singleplayer only game, (for now anyways) so im hoping for the story to be very engaging, and have a lot of side quests and activities to do. Also a leaderboard to encourage leveling up after the endgame.

Features: (Finished - In Progress - Not Started)
    - melee combat
    - Archery
    - Magic
    -Magic Archery Armour
    - Animated player and Enemies
    - Items + Inventory system (Possible improvements)
    - Woodcutting
    - Mining
    - Skills and levels
    - Spawning monsters
    - Equipable weapons and armour

- Enemy AI (Just needs a few touchups)
    - Fishing
    - Adjustable Camera

- Storymode
    - Shops

Videos and Screenshots
    $huts.png $ArcheryArmour.png $Woodcutting.png $RPG2.png $RPG3.png

Dev Blog

Old and crappy Gameplay Trailer

(Older Videos):
    Update 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HadohYxnME0
    Update 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHJSTG-f2mI
    Update 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyUC9E5Urj4
    Update 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkT_-3m9NPE

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. kalamona

kalamona

For a 16 yo, this is pretty solid. I really like that you didn't download others' models, but created your own, you learn so much more this way, and it is much more "honest". A lot of people can download an RPG creator and a few models, but a lot less bother to write&create their own solutions.

As a game, there is not much to say, I am pretty sure you are aware that it has some huge issues :) Just keep improving it, and congrats on your work :)

3. Somedays

Somedays

keep up the good work.

4. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Thanks everyone! And yes kalamona, I don't like using other people's work, because then the game just seems less like I made it. And also I just enjoy creating things myself! And yeah, I realize there are MANY things still wrong with it, but hey, it's a learning curve ;) I'm sure in a few months or so it will be a bit more polished.Thanks for the feedback!

Shinkiro, I have no experience with lightmapping whatsoever :eek: Sounds like something I'll definitely explore! Does it work with unity free though? And yeah, I agree about the sound effects.I'll add those in soon

Haha somedays, I'll do my best :p

5. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Looks pretty good to start off with (ignoring the graphics, as you're probably intended to only show off the mechanics :p)

As stated earlier by someone, I like that you use your own models instead of rip-offs of someone else's. Even if they're just for a placeholder, it just gives the impression you're doing everything on your own, and not throwing some internet found scripts and models together.

I'll follow along with this one ;)

6. Glynn-Taylor

Glynn-Taylor

Hehe looks cute :3 Interface on the right reminds me a lot of Runescape?
    Looking forward to seeing where you take this!

And yes, lightmapping does work with unity free, though it's essentially a process of precalculating shadows and creating a texture/s based on that can then be overlain upon the textures of objects and terrain when rendering to give the appearance of shadows. This means it's only really good for static scenes where light sources and objects do not move (since the textures will still be the same). It does makes scenes in unity free look really good though; there are a few ways of achieving light fill and dynamic shadows in Unity, since you can modify vertex colors and maybe something else, there's at least one solution on the asset store, I'd advise against it at this stage since it's quite complex to do yourself.
    Honestly with graphics I find that a good time to work on it is when you're feeling frustrated on the coding part, because then when making the environment you can look up references and motivate self more through that; don't spend too much time worrying about it when it's all for fun X)

7. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Haha thanks guys! And yes wastraat, other than the player, I haven't spent any time at all on the graphics yet. I wanted to get the mechanics working around before I fiddle with all that stuff :p Thanks for the compliments :)

Glynn Taylor, yeah About 6 years ago now I used to play a lot of runescape, so I probably had it in the back of mind while I was making this. And I watched some basic tutorials on lightmapping, and I fiddled around with it a bit and man it makes a difference! I'll be sure to use it once My scene is complete. And aha, yeah working on the environment when I'm frustrated sounds like a good idea :p Sometimes while coding I just want to bash my head in :p

But thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it!

8. PenPB

PenPB

I have a game with the similar style art work ugh.... Might have to change the look of some things so I dont have the same thing as you!

9. NikoBusiness

NikoBusiness

10. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Lol PenPB, if I were you i wouldn't worry about it xD
    And aha Niko, thanks, will do!

11. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

This is looking good, i like the inventory system and minimap, just the general feel of the game really even though its in its very early stages :) keep up the good work!

12. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Aha thanks a bunch PixelHead! Alright, so I started with some graphics (Really just to show what it will look like in the end) Keep in mind i modeled everything myself, and since I am the only one working on this game I made everything very quickly so I might actually have a chance at finishing the game. (Each model took no more than 10 mins max)
    I also wanted to make everything fit well together, because I've seen a lot of games where the models/textures don't really all seem to belong in the same game, because the style is a bit different, so I wanted to keep everything consistent.

Please, Tell me what you think, Good or bad! (It's still early stages, so I can change the style now, but not later ;) )

$GameGraphics.png
    Lightmapping will come later
    (The ground is actually the same Texture I used for the GUIbuttons, A little bit of recycling never hurts ;) )

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  13. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

I improved the inventory system, so now dropping an item won't shift everything. You are also now able to click/drag items in the inventory into different slots.
    I added enemies (Not just cubes - and they have animations)
    I also did a test with lightmapping just to see the difference, and here it is: $GameGraphicsShadows.png

The skills system and equipment panel are also almost done, as well as food/potions and armour. I will post an update video once those are completed

14. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

This is looking great man, really like the art style keep it up! :)

15. PenPB

PenPB

What language are you using for this?

16. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

I'm using c#

17. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

BIG new update! Now featuring a real environment, armour, enemies, an improved inventory system, and more! Check out my new video!

and PLEASE let me know what you think!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  18. kPodi

kPodi

Reminds me a little bit the old RuneScape :cool:
    It seems that this game is in a very early stage of development, but it has a great potential on my opinion. I am definitely following this game, nice job!

19. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Thanks! And yes, I used to play runescape a lot back in 2006ish, so I think it's been in the back of my head as i was making this... :p

And yes it is in a very early stage, I started working on it about a month ago now, but I hardly have any time to do so. Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

20. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Hey Pickle Chips, any idea of when the next update video will be out? :) this game looks really promising, if you need any help with ideas for developing the game id be happy to help, im no good at design, and im very basic with coding, but i can help with providing ideas for features to implement if you'd like :)

21. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Yeah I made a short new update video which shows the archery I implemented (Not yet finalized), and now I'm starting to work on the magic system (Should be ready within a week). I've been super busy lately so I haven't had much time to work on it, but it's coming along! And actually yes about the ideas thing, Before I started the magic system I actually asked for ideas somewhere else, but If i need any help with ideas in the future I'll be sure to send you a message :p

(Sorry for the late reply, I've been in Montreal for the last six weeks)

22. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

I'll be sure to check out the update video, glad to hear you're still working on it! Yes please do, im always happy to help :)

23. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

The magic system has been finished, and is shown on the video on the main post. Next on the list is finishing the skills and leveling system

24. primus88

primus88

Nicely done. What you accomplished here for a 16 year old is a very good start.
    Keep is like that and you will get far !

PS: Your game looks pretty much in a playable state. I think people wont mind to try a webplayer or standalone build.

25. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Hm I'll definitely put up a webplayer soon, After I add in some sound. Because right now there is not a single audio source in the game, so it may seem rather dull. I will work on that right now, and then post a webplayer version.

26. lancer

lancer

for AI stuff in the game I'm currently using RAIN{indie}, it is free from the asset store. To get started using it I just watched the couple videos, once you understand it, it is really easy.

27. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Your game looks brilliant so far, from the latest video i noticed you dont have any dying animations yet, but that isnt a big problem at all, at this stage, keep up the great work!

28. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

watch it again, there are dying animations (Maybe not the best, but they'll do :p)
    But thanks alot PixelHead, I really appreciate all the positive feedback you're giving me!

29. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

UPDATE:
    I changed some of the textures (looks so much nicer IMO), added a basic skills and leveling system (the xp distribution is not final) and also added in mining.

I posted a WebPlayer version of the game on the main post, PLEASE go try it out and leave a comment on what you think.

30. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

I also started a post on IndieDP, please Support me!

31. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

UPDATE:
    I finished making magic robes and Archer clothes. This is how the system works. Every piece of equipment offers damage resistance. It is a percentage, which is a chance of blocking the enemies attack.

A full set of magic robes offers a 15% damage bonus when using a magic weapon, but a 15% accuracy loss if you're using any other weapon. The same goes for Melee Armour and Archer clothes, with their respective acttack type.
    Each head item offers a 5% damage boost/accuracy loss, Body item offers 7%, and leg items offer 3%.
    This way the player is encouraged to use the proper equipment with their attack type, but in no means is it necessary.

I also created a little gameplay trailer, which showcases the features currently in place:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  32. Foestar

Foestar

Good job, keep up the great work. :D

33. primus88

primus88

You should really continue on the road you have set now.
    Graphic wise and gameplay wise the game should really look like the old Runescape.

Many people would appreciate it.

34. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Reminds me of the good old Runescape. Nostalgic indeed. What about boss? Have you implement any bosses yet?

35. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Aha yeah i've had a lot of comments about it looking like the old runescape, not sure whether that is really a good thing or not :p
    No there aren't any bosses yet :/ I'm getting the main mechanics finished, and then I'm going to work on the story and environment (which will include bosses)

I really appreciate the feedback/interest guys, thanks a lot :)

36. StarAbove

StarAbove

Hah as you know, some people despite old runescape's graphic but some totally love it.
    Coool. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how far the game will go. A great story and environment will really spice this game up.

37. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Yeah a big focus on this game for me is going to be the story (Once the mechanics are working). I absolutely LOVE a game with an intriguing story. I'm doing my best on the environment, although unfortunately I'm not the best artist... I would also love ideas towards the story from people, but i believe i have the main plot in mind, which is on the first post.

I would love to get people's feedback on the plot, because right now i haven't started on the story at all so i could easily change it; before it's too late!

38. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

So I've started work on NPC's, and I've pretty much finished the chatting system. You just walk up to them to talk, and to stop you just leave. Here is a very brief demo. (Obviously the cube is just a placeholder)

The dialogue is being loaded from a text file, so it makes it super easy for me to add to/alter

Please I would love feedback on how I could improve this!

39. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Really looking good, loving the progress being made! Is that a new village? looks nice :p

40. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Thanks! I really love hearing feedback! And yes it is, i put it just to see how the new models I made look in the game, I glad they look nice :D

Since I'm replying anyways, here's a brief update on where things are at:
    Right now I'm still working on NPC's and Chest's, but (unfortunately) school has started, so I won't have much time to work on it anymore. Right now I'm sort of taking a break, (I'll still do like ~30/60mins a day) but updates will come less frequently :/

But thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep posted for updates! (As well as a new webplayer version coming soon!)

41. Venged

Venged

Looking good!

42. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Alright guys, it's been a while, but I've recommenced work on this project. In the newest update, There's random enemy movement spawning, chests, some bug fixes, and some other lead ups towards big updates.

I've added in some new screenshots and a dev blog to the main post, check it out and let me know what you think!

43. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

Thumbs up for making this game alone, even with your own 3d models!

44. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

Thanks! Its been a lot of work doing it entirely alone. Modelling and animating can sure take up a lot of time. Thats one reason I decuded to use low-poly models. That and the hopes of a port to android in the future.

45. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

I've been working away and got some more objects for the environment in. Here's a quick screenshot.

$huts.png

Please let me know what you guys think! Next to come out will be fishing and the rest of items. Then I just need shops and I can finally get working on the main map and the story line! And some bug fixes/optimization

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  46. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

I need some opinions.

Which looks best, No mesh grass, small mesh grass, or large mesh grass?

$NoMeshGrass.png $SmallMeshGrass.png $LargeMeshGrass.png

47. TraeCodex

TraeCodex

Did this die??