Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Time Control and Pause Kit (inc. Bullet Time, Freeze, Fast Motion, etc) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SketchWork, Jun 28, 2013.

1. SketchWork

SketchWork

Description

The Time Control and Pause Kit is an easy to use script that allows you to add full time control and pause functionality to your projects. You can use this asset to add Bullet-time effects, Super fast effects or freeze effects to only the game objects you want with the group pause functionality or completely pause your game with the new global time controls. This kit does not use the dreaded TimeScale for group pausing. The script works with Legacy Animations, Mecanim Animations, DeltaTime coded functions, Legacy Particle Emitter, Shuriken Particle Systems and even use it to effect your audio too if required! The script should also be compatible and performance friendly with all of the platforms supported by Unity 3.5 and 4+.

Version 2.0 introduced 3rd party integration with HOTween, iTween, 2D Toolkit, 2D Platform Controller and the awaited full PLAYMAKER integration!

$Inspector.jpg

Features
    • Full support for Unity 3.5 and Unity 4+ (Free and Pro).
    • Easy to use custom Unity 3D editors.
    • Time Group Control the objects you want to.
    • Time Global Control to pause everything.
    • Works with Mecanim and Legacy Animations.
    • Works with Shuriken and Legacy Particles.
    • Works with DeltaTime coded Functions.
    • Works with RigidBody and RigidBody2D for Physics Pausing.
    • Full PLAYMAKER Integration.
    • 3rd Party Support for iTween.
    • 3rd Party Support for HOTween.
    • 3rd Party Support for 2D Platform Controller.
    • 3rd Party Support for 2D Toolkit.
    • Slow and Speeds Up Audio too if required.
    • Does not use TimeScale for group pause.
    • Full sound effects can be customised and turned on if required.
    • Fully Event Driven for advanced custom actions.
    • Clean, short and simple C# code.
    • No external DLLs or external resources.
    • Full documentation included.
    • Fully documented examples.
    3rd Party Integration and Support

$3rd Party.jpg

Use the Time Control and Pause Kit to bring the power of time to enhance your games.

Add that little something special to your projects and grab yourself a bargin with the Time Control and Pause Kit.

Asset Store Link: "Get the Time Control and Pause Kit".

Video Demo

Version History

Version 2.2
    Added support for Unity 4.5.
    Added support for RigidBody2D for pausing and resuming.
    Fixed problem where pausing failed on certain Unity versions.
    Fixed issue with Playmaker Tooktip causing errors with the new Unity Tooltip Attribute.

Version 2.1
    Tidied Up the editors a little.
    Fixed issue with ToggleLeft on some versions of Unity 4.

Version 2.0
    New “Global Pause/Resume Control” script and prefab.
    PLAYMAKER integration (Custom Actions and Custom Events).
    HOTween support.
    iTween support.
    2D Platform Controller support.
    2D Toolkit support.
    Added template system for easy integration with other current and future 3rd party assets.
    Added support for Unity 4.3.

Version 1.1
    Fixed bug with legacy animations when not using the default clip.
    Added support for Unity 3.5 and Unity 4+.
    Updated support email details.

Version 1.0
    Initial release.

Asset Store Link: "Get the Time Control and Pause Kit".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. crafTDev

crafTDev

Nice. Will look into it! :)

3. paraself

paraself

Looks like Pause Controller has a competitor! It's good. That one hasn't been updated for a long time. So definitely will look into this one. Time management is always a pain TT

4. SketchWork

SketchWork

Thanks for the kind comments. I work full time on developing apps for Unity so the support will always be good and the asset will be constantly evolving and updating.

Justin.

5. imtrobin

imtrobin

6. SketchWork

SketchWork

No problem, should be able to put something together. Or a YouTube video.

7. John-G

John-G

Looks interesting, and at a nice price too. Can this be used as a replay cam showing for example the last 10 seconds in bullet time while main game is running at standard time rate?

8. SketchWork

SketchWork

@John G: Thanks for the enquiry. At present you can manipulate the time of objects in your scene, there is no reply functionality yet, but definitely something I'll look at adding in the future.

Justin

9. John-G

John-G

Thanks Justin, current version only allows downloading with latest version of unity though.

10. SketchWork

SketchWork

@John G: Hi John, version 1.1 was submitted on Friday from Unity 3.5 so will probably take a few days for Unity to get it up.

11. John-G

John-G

Thanks, will get it then.

12. SketchWork

SketchWork

Version 1.1 is now live in the Asset Store and now has support for both Unity 3.5 and Unity 4+.

If you have any questions please ask. I am UK time (GMT) and available throughout the day.

All the best,

Justin

13. Sashimi_2

Sashimi_2

You really need at least a you-tube video to give us some visual idea what this system is capable of dude.

Cheers,
    Sashimi

14. SketchWork

SketchWork

@Sashimi: Thanks for your interest. I mentioned a few days ago that I am putting together a demo so it should be up in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Justin

15. SketchWork

SketchWork

Added the YouTube demo. The changes to AngryBots which I used in the demo took only about 5-10 minutes to add complete time control.

Video Demo

Enjoy!

Justin

16. blackant

blackant

should be nice if you could add a reverse action

17. SketchWork

SketchWork

@Blackant: Yes, maybe something I will look at investigating into. Thanks for your comment.

Justin

18. imtrobin

imtrobin

the video is laggy, I hope this is not the in game behavior. Please show modified demo.

19. SketchWork

SketchWork

@imtrobin. I can confirm the game is not laggy. It runs at full frame rate. Probably due to the frame rate I created the video in.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  20. SteveB

SteveB

Do you (SketchWork) or anyone know if and how this would integrate with Playmaker?

Thanks!

-Steven

21. SketchWork

SketchWork

@SteveB: Hi Steve, the TimeController scripts are easily integrated into any project and has full documentation on how to accomplish this, but there is currently no bespoke Playmaker Action Packs available. I'll have a good look into full Playmaker integration this week it shouldn't be too hard to do :)

Many thanks,

Justin

22. SteveB

SteveB

Awesome, and yea my only real concern is how I'd apply TimeControl/Pause to my existing Playmaker scripts.

Playmaker Actions aren't necessary but heck if you can get them in in a 'timely' fashion, it my just give me pause long enough to control my urge to consider alternatives. :D

Hehe, thanks Justin!

Steven

23. SketchWork

SketchWork

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Full Playmaker and UScript support coming soon.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  24. SteveB

SteveB

DECLARATION:

Yay!!!

25. imtrobin

imtrobin

Why does the timecontroller needs an audio source for?

26. SketchWork

SketchWork

@imtrobin: The TimeController used the audio source if you want to manipulate the speed of the audio. For example if you create a slow down effect the TimeController if required can also slow down the audio to sound slow too. You don't have to use it though. One of the examples shows this in effect.

Thanks, Justin
    ---
    I'm going away for a couple of days, so I will answer any questions when I come back.

Thank you everyone who have purchased the TimeController and I hope you enjoy using the product.

Justin

27. SteveB

SteveB

So this just reminded me...is Playmaker/UScript support still on the way?

28. BTStone

BTStone

29. SketchWork

SketchWork

@SteveB: yes playmaker is still on the way. I have done a lot of testing with it and is looking like it is almost ready to go. I'm away for a few days so hoping to get finished when I'm back.

@Mayhem: yes it does work like pause controller, but has some additional features like being able to not only pause but slow down and speed up only certain elements of your scene. In your example you would be able to pause your game, but keep your menus running at full speed allowing perfect menu interaction.

I hope this makes sense. I have limited connection she I'm away, but will try to respond as quickly as possible to questions. Thanks again for your interest.

Justin

30. BTStone

BTStone

Great. I'll grab this when the PlayMaker-Supports comes in :D

31. imtrobin

imtrobin

I looked at the code, you are using Broadcast with FindObjectOfTypw, it's not mobile friendly. Perhaps you can cache the objects on Enable/Disable.

32. SketchWork

SketchWork

Good idea. I'll add that change. Justin.

33. SketchWork

SketchWork

Thanks to everyone who has purchased the Time Controller. We have been working hard on the next version which adds more ways to time control certain objects and of course Playmaker support.

If there is more functionality you would like to see added, please drop us an email or post it here.

Thanks again,

Justin

34. FrozenTarzan

FrozenTarzan

Hi,

I want to use your plugin in a 2D game where I use Unity's physics engine and RageSpline and want to achieve a bullet time effect. Now I tried to realize this, but it doesn't work. Physical objects simply get temporarily stopped (velocity set to zero) and start moving again. I found a comment on this in your documentation that says that physical objects can only be stopped but not slowed down.

Is there any way to use Time Control for my needs? Or is there a chance that you can update this plugin with additional features?

Thanks a lot!

35. SketchWork

SketchWork

@FrozenTarzan, thanks for your purchase. I have a lot of new features that are being added as well as adding more physics based time control or at least a demo scene on how to achieve it.

In answer to your question. You should be able to adjust the physics velocity on a TimedObject when it receives a time change event. Store the original speed, use the time modifier variable in the TimedObject to adjust the velocity and revert it back after you want time to return.

I hope that helps.

36. BTStone

BTStone

When will the new Update come out :) ?

37. crafTDev

crafTDev

uScript support would be great! I'll jump in when it gets uScript support...

38. FrozenTarzan

FrozenTarzan

So then I'm looking forward to a updated version! :)

The problem with physics: When there are objects with rigidbodies in the scene that collide with static and non-static objects and each of them has its own physics-material, I want the whole simulation/behavior to be the same regardless of the timing.

I took a look at your code and found the parts where you change the properties of the rigidbodies. It is not enough to save and restore the velocity. The gravity, velocity (+angular velocity) and other factors that influence the computations would have to be changed too. I think this is really hard to realize on a per-object-basis. Maybe a global approach is needed for that kind of slowdown/speedup. The funny thing is, that I have read somewhere that you didn't want to choose such a solution?!

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  39. SketchWork

SketchWork

Yes, you are right the complexity of controlling physics can be very difficult. The new version does help this a lot and I have added the ability to use a "global" approach if necessary, but I have done it in a way that compensates for objects that you do not want to be effected.

40. BTStone

BTStone

Would be great if you would answer the question of other users, too...

41. SketchWork

SketchWork

The new version will be out soon. I can't give an exact date because something may come up during testing of the new features.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  42. BTStone

BTStone

Approximately? :D

1 Week, 2 Weeks? :p

43. SketchWork

SketchWork

If I was a betting man I would say a couple of weeks tops :)

44. metaleap

metaleap

Great project, just put it on my to-buy list but holding out for the next update :cool:

45. SketchWork

SketchWork

@metaleap, thanks. Update is coming along nicely.

46. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Very interested about this...and the new release.
    Also please do a webplayer demo with sliders...it will really help sell your product!

47. SketchWork

SketchWork

Good idea. I'll add a web demo when the new version is released.

Thanks for the feedback.

48. RinkyDinkyCo

RinkyDinkyCo

Is there an update on your progress? I am currently still waiting for Playmaker support before purchasing. According to the thread it's been quite a long time since the update was originally promised. I'm not saying you don't have a good reason for that, but an explanation would be helpful to the people who are watching this thread from time to time.

49. SketchWork

SketchWork

@RinkyDinkyCo, thanks for your message. I'm working hard to get the Playmaker/uScript support in, but there are a couple of bits that I'm not quite happy with. I have also decided to include a good few of the suggestions people have come up with in this next release.

Thanks for your patience.

Justin

50. RinkyDinkyCo

RinkyDinkyCo

Great. Thanks for the update!