Search Unity

Anbody have any eperience using awesomium for UI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JimmothySanchez, Jun 26, 2013.

1. JimmothySanchez

JimmothySanchez

Does anyone have any experience using awesomium in unity? It seems like a much cheaper alternative to coherent UI and from what I can tell, does not have the unity pro restriction. They posted a tutorial a while ago (http://labs.awesomium.com/unity3d-integration-tutorial-part-1/) but i haven't seen anything else about it. Is anyone out there using it?

2. PavelLangweil

PavelLangweil

I was just attempting to integrate it to my Oculus project yesterday. From what I've endured yesterday:

- Their latest version (1.7.4.2) has issues for me: Their sample works in standalone(not in editor), but when you try to make the browser plane work anywhere outside the demo scene, it doesn't (I was getting just white screen). I found people with similar issues on awe forums, but no real resolution. Another (yet smaller) issue was a problem to inject mouse movements, it seems that this late version has its own inject mouse made for 2D cursor, which is constanly fighting with anything I'm injecting, causing flickering of any element you hover over with your VR(3d) cursor.

- I tried an old version (1.6.2) which seems to have the mouse injections still in .cs file where I could edit them out, which fixed the flickering but this one didn't work in standalone build at all. It worked fine in the editor. I made sure I've copied all the needed files(.dll's, the awesomiumprocess exe etc.) to the exe folder, but no chance. I guess maybe because the 1.6.2 was for Unity 3.5, but can't be sure.

- In the end I tried this custom wrapper: https://github.com/bkeiren/AwesomiumUnity , alongside 1.7.1 SDK (which awesomium.com still have on their website, if you change the file download URL to this version). This FINALLY worked reasonably fine for me both in editor and the standalone. I was able to fix the flickering like I did in 1.6.2 and use my own mouse injections, so now finally I've got VR interface for HTML UI / web browsing :) I was trying some basic stuff, login to Facebook, play YouTube videos (works with audio). I'll test more later on since I'll need to try JavaScript communication for getting any custom UI to work.

3. TheCheese

TheCheese

Hi
    Just wondering if you decided to go with this solution for production? I need to display web content in Unity on mobile - I've tried Coherent UI and UWebKit and have run into issues with both so I'm hoping this may be a better solution?

4. DrHeinous

DrHeinous

I went through much the same steps as Falcan above (in fact I originally started using Awesomium in an XNA project before I started using Unity).

I got it working using the old 1.6 version. But there were quite a lot of problems with that version, so I really didn't want to use it.

As for the newer versions, the fact that it won't work in the editor was a total deal killer for me, in the end.