Search Unity

Wind Zones and External Forces causing crash after exiting game. Unity 4.1.5.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kOrsanity, Jun 22, 2013.

1. kOrsanity

kOrsanity

Hey forum,

I seem to have a persistent problem I cannot get rid off. Whenever I either create a Wind Zone game object, or enable External Forces on any Particle System, my standalone Windows build will crash after closing the window.

This affects both x86 and x86_64 builds. I use Windows 7 64bit, and Unity 4.1.5f1.

It doesn't matter whether I have one or more Wind Zones, whether they have parents, their settings etc. Merely having them activated in the scene at all causes the crash. Same thing goes for the External Forces option on Particle Systems.

It happens in any scene in any project, even newly created fresh ones (no imported packages). A scene with nothing more than a Main Camera and a Wind Zone will cause the crash.

As I said the game won't crash during gameplay. Everything is fine until you click the window's close button, at that point the window closes, and up to a second later I get the "Game.exe has stopped working" error window. Same happens if I call Application.Quit() through a script, except that the error will appear right before the window closes. It's nothing game breaking, but as you can imagine it's quite annoying regardless.

I'm hoping to find some pointers here. Is it Unity? Could it be something about Windows 7. I don't know for sure when this problem started, but I believe it was after I upgraded to version 4.1.5, because I don't remember anything like this before upgrading.

I appreciate any help on this issue, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. kOrsanity

kOrsanity

Hello again.

I was suspecting that I might have somehow messed up the upgrade process, so I decided to give Unity a clean reinstall. I uninstalled, deleted all Unity folders in AppData and subs, cleared registry off any Unit related entries, then reinstalled 4.1.5, but it still did not fix the problem. I've also tried running the standalone on another computer (Windows XP), and got the same error. A friend of mine, running Windows 7 himself, said he had NO error. I'm really confused by this whole thing.

Note: I reinstalled using version 4.1.5. I might try A downgrade if I cannot find a different solution. Sadly searching for this problem I did not come across much. I found two threads of people having what appears to be the same problem, but no answers.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/430806/windows-crash-report-after-closing.html
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/27935/crash-on-applicationquit-in-standalone-mode-after.html

Update: Downgraded to 4.0.1, problem is gone, although not solved.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. Vijay-Poduval

Vijay-Poduval

Exact same issue for me. I have reported the bug to Unity.