Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.5.7 and iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by AdbC99, Jun 12, 2013.

1. AdbC99

AdbC99

Does anyone know if Unity will be updating Unity 3.5.7 iPhone for iOS 7? $3000 worth of licenses and end of lined in 9 months couldn't believe it and it now looks like finally the licenses may no longer be usable without $1000 of upgrades, gulp

2. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

what exactly do you need to be updated?

3. andymads

andymads

@Alexey, in 3.5.6 you fixed "ios6 compatibility" and other iOS6/iPhone5 related issues. Surely there will be similar changes needed when we get iOS7 and new devices?

4. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

well, there were breaking changes in ios6 (if built with ios6 sdk). Currently i dont see any ;-) So, my point is - unless we get something to fix - we are in the dark 8) That's why i was asking - do you see smth that needs to be fixed, or are you just jumping in whining mood on 2nd day of beta availability ;-)

5. andymads

andymads

Does it sound like I'm whining?

I want get the facts straight so I can advise my boss if we're going to have to shell out thousands of pounds for Unity 4.

I'm not saying there's anything to fix. I have no idea. I never even look at betas. I'm too busy doing Unity projects.

Ok, so what I really want to know is how long you will continue to do updates for Unity 3?

6. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

come on, didnt you notice ";-)" in the end of my sentence? ;-)
    this! this was the question ;-)
    I believe we stopped supporting 3.5.x release. But, for me personally - i would be happy to look at whatever you find borken in ios7, and mind you - even ios6 fixes were trampoline only, so i can just fix it and post as sticky forum post or smth. But i need smth to look at - as a programmer i work with current dev version, not some 3.5.x ;-)

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're a nice guy Alexey but you totally S U C K at developer relations ;) <<

8. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

sure, thats why unity chains me to code-editor/compiler and not to forums/users/whatever ;-)

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

10. AdbC99

AdbC99

Hi Alexey, really relieved that you have replied. I had just heard on other posts that Unity3d and Xcode 5 etc were not behaving together and so jumped in on the whining mood ;-) I'm in the same boat as andymads, I'm usually too frantically trying to scrape a living of apps to risk upgrading my machine to a beta.

11. toto2003

toto2003

i had to laugh on this post , that was my icon of the day ;););)

12. jasonFHH

jasonFHH

So any word on this? iOS 7 is more or less out, it seems more and more of the new assets posted to the Asset Store are Unity 4 only, and I'm beginning to worry that if I use Unity 3.5.7 to ship titles, that they may not work on iOS 7 and UT won't support it any longer. (last I read, UT was no longer doing updates for 3.5.x)

13. kayy

kayy

What about support of the new hardware? Is there any chance to get a patch for UnityEngine.iPhone.generation to detect iPhone 5c / 5S? I use this at start to adjust QualitySetttings and it would be hard to switch an 5s back to 30 FPS, small culling distances, ... :)

14. CharlesBarros

CharlesBarros

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  15. kayy

kayy

@Charles
    Thanks a lot for sharing your plugin code. Definitely a good workaround if Unity does not supply a patch :)

Maybe you should think about hosting it at GitHub or the Unify Community Wiki

16. CharlesBarros

CharlesBarros

Glad to know that you liked.
    Good ideia. I will post at Unity Comunity Wiki. :)

In fact I prefer to use my code to identify the device because this way we do not have to wait for Unity update the list of devices. Mainly because sometimes we have to prepare our application to simultaneous launch with the new device (to receive Apple feature or to apply to special categories like "New games for iPhone5").

And retrieve the device generation as a string is good for dynamic updates like AssetBundles or when you download cfg files form a server. This way we can update the quality settings without submit a new version of the app. This is not possible when you use an predefined types like enuns. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  17. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

just a heads up - in 4.something we added getter for device model as string (with native code access to it too).

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Alexey , would you make an official plugin for unity 3.5 ?

19. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

what plugin? device detection? Charles' plugin have absolutely same native code as us, so you can use it right away.
    And props to Charles for doing proper string marshaling ;-)

20. zezba9000

zezba9000

This is why i'm glad they added in a subscription model. Makes more sense really, for an evolving product.

21. kayy

kayy

A plugin would be great including a fix for statusbar hiding (UIViewControllerBasedStatusBarAppearance) and the app icon problem. Yes, there are workarounds for most of the problems but adding the missing icons manually sounds like they get overwritten with each new build (haven't tried it out just speculating).
    And I am missing CMB+B ;-)

22. CharlesBarros

CharlesBarros

Thanks @Alexey.

@kayy, following your suggestion I added the plugin to Unity3D Wiki. I also changed the c# code to make it better:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/IPhoneDeviceModel
    About the new icon sizes, unfortunately when you rebuild the project the icon settings will be lost. But I will create a script to automate this process.

For the statusbar I think that I will need to change some things on the Unity AppController. I will let you know if I succeed.

23. Wolfos

Wolfos

Except unless you're going to use Unity for only 6 months, the subscription is far more expensive, even if you upgrade every 2 years.

24. kayy

kayy

@Charles Very good, I will try out the new version next week.

Statusbar: You need to set the property UIViewControllerBasedStatusBarAppearance to NO to your info.plist. I would refrain from modifying AppController.mm as Unity updates will kill your changes and you have to merge them.

Alternatively you can set up a build pre-action in Xcode and call a bash script there. OK, this will be overwritten as well when replacing the project. But the advantage I see, is having just one single point of change at a well defined location. Last week I wrote a blog post about how to do this and other issues when going to iOS 7 - I mentioned your contribution as well :)

25. CharlesBarros

CharlesBarros

Wow, great blog post @kayy. It helped a lot in my current task. :)

26. kayy

kayy

27. andymads

andymads

Ok Alexey, now I think we know what can be fixed in 3.5.7 for iOS 7.

See this blog post for details.

Oh, and if there's any chance the stdout/stderr bug mentioned here could be fixed too that would be great.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  28. stefstivala

stefstivala

that was informative helped a few of my issues, thanks for sharing