Search Unity

Unity and iOS7 - Building

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by reishill, Jun 10, 2013.

1. reishill

reishill

Do you think there shall be much of a difference or any updates we shall have to do to update our apps to iOS7?

2. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

I guess from the standard Unity apps-point of view there shouldn't be too many differences. However it depends on what Apple introduces with the new iOS. I haven't had a look at the beta yet, but in the past there have been some changes to XCode which needed to be reflected by Unity as well. Once a new version of Unity was out it worked though.

However Apple may also refresh it's guidelines in terms of e.g. icon design and such. Hard to tell right now, but it's worth to keep an eye on the new iOS version to be able to react to changes in time, not only when iOS 7 is out.

3. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

So best not to update to the beta just yet?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

no, and that rule applies to every software.. something might come up

in this specific case, xcode 5 developer preview is very crashy

unity has had a history of not working with recently released versions of xcode, using beta software is playing with fire.. it may or may not work

i would say just wait for the final versions to come up

5. CH

CH

6. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

if we speak about unity vs ios7 beta:
    4.2 will have some fixes for the really bad stuff (like fixed udid, and some)
    4.3 (or 4.2.X - whichever is closer to actual release) will have fixes for minor stuff (e.g. as i said on some other thread, status bar is currently always visible and do not change style).
    what i can say to reassure you more? ;-)
    well, i run *everything* on ios7+xcode5 - all your bug reports ;-) - works fine
    also - if nobody tries and update - how can we find the bugs in advance ;-)

7. CH

CH

Hi Alexey,
    You guys are doing great!
    Cheers!

8. jeffweber

jeffweber

Decided to give this a try. Udated to XCode5, tried to build and got this:

"UnityException: Launching iOS project via Xcode4 failed. Check editor log for details."

Is there someplace I need to tell Unity to use XCode5?

-Jeff

9. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

currently build&run do not work with xcode5 (they changed stuff *again*).
    Do "build", open xcode project manually and run from here

10. jeffweber

jeffweber

Yep, that worked!

Thanks.

11. u3dxt

u3dxt

We've been testing iOS 7.0 features with Unity 3.5.7 and it's been going pretty smoothly.

12. krubba

krubba

iOS7 also added a bunch of new icon resolutions. Is there any way to update the player settings to support the new resolutions? We have projects in Unity 3.5.6 and 4.2, and I can't find a way to do it in either. Since there seems to be no end of potential resolutions, couldn't this be made more extendable?

13. u3dxt

u3dxt

Unity exports an XCode project. Open the project in XCode and then General tab, you can set all the icons and splash images.

14. krubba

krubba

Yeah, i realized that, was hoping for some streamlined workflow, maybe updating editor script, post processor script kind of thing. Manually updating XCode is a pain, especially when you need to occasionally do replace builds because of plugin changes...