Search Unity

HighRes Terrain Pack 1 : Mountains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ronan-thibaudau, Jun 9, 2013.

1. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Testing the market here with something a bit special, if it works there will be more packs, i'm planning to push this one to the asset store in the coming days (still waiting on some very long world machine generations)

Open the images in a new window to see them at a good resolution and get a feel for the detail:

See me zooming to get a good glimpse of the actual texture size that 16K represents (and 32K is in the work!)

Also included (at the same resolution as above but no point giving zoomed screenshots for each) are the following alternative textures in case they are of use :

$Sunny Mountain.jpg
    $Dark Desert.jpg
    $Deep Forest.jpg
    $Sand Desert.jpg

• Both heightmap (1K/2K/4K res) if you really insist on using unity terrain and mesh format (512K/130K/65K/10K)
    • Texture + normal map at very high resolution (1K/2K/4K/8K/16K/32K provided, 32K will come in an update due to long generation time and may also not be included in the package but available as a separate download upon request due to huge file size). Using >4K textures will require using the very nice Amplify plugin (the standalone demo of my terrain package will use it so that you can see how it looks like).
    • The generated terrain and single very large texture means that you're getting a very simple workflow with absolutely 0 tiling, it's not the usual basemap + detail, it's the basemap itself being crazy detailed so that even if you zoom to ground level it still looks good and no tiling texture needs to be applied (if you want to use the 4K version without amplify, you probably should combine it with tiling textures using something like the color map ultra shader)
    • Includes a demo scene (not the one in the standalone demo as this is dependent on amplify) for both the terrain mesh version, in the mesh version the different quality meshes are already overlaid over each other and grouped under a root game object so that you can just enable / disable whichever quality you want.
    • The screenshot above is just "one" tile, what you're getting is much larger 9 tiles (the tile you see + the 8 tiles that surround it)
    • All the alternate textures are included, more may come upon request.
    • This is giving you rather out of reach quality as WM is very ram hungry and you need a lot of ram to generate very high resolution terrain, if you go the amplify route you'll be able to happily use the 32K maps at very decent performance but generating them takes quite a while, i'm doing this on a 256gig of ram server and it's barely enough (for information the 32K maps require 220GB (yes gigabytes, not megabytes) of RAM to generate!

Downloadable demos of the first tile (middle one, 8 other tiles surrounding it to come) :

Download for windows - Alternate link
    Download for Mac - Alternate link
    Download for Linux - Alternate link

Feedback welcome / suggestions for different terrain styles for other packs welcome too

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Updated the OP as i think the images didn't do the quality justice, added render screenshots as i'm zooming, this is the quality you can have in game! Single texture for this (well + the normal map), i'm zooming a lot (the whole 5th screenshot area is barely visible on the first screenshot before zooming) and you can still see massive detail!

Demo coming in 1-2 hour (downloading 16K maps from my server still).

3. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

4. PolyMad

PolyMad

The mountain is nice but I wonder how anybody could use it... You can see where the world ends from ANY point on that terrain.

5. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

What you see is only a small area, the full terrain is 9 tiles like this one (this one +8 surrounding it), so the true version is 3x as large on both sides. Could easily extend it if it isn't enough still.

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

That's ok, but uh... I don't want to break all your eggs or anything, I also see there are no flat areas and in general even if it is highly detailed it misses a medium size distribution of locations. I wonder what game or application could use that really.

Changes I would put into it:
    - add more areas divided by small hills
    - add flat areas where users can put buildings, etc.
    - it's missing a bit of "noise" everywhere

I repeat: it's not to offend you or anything, but as it is now, I just can't see a use for it honestly.

7. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

No no go ahead. Feedback is always good. For this first pack i was mostly thinking of something that could look good from the air (flight games), do i see where you're coming from and strongly agree. This terrain would be useless for putting characters on, i agree :)

I actually have a complex WM project where i generate a full world (different area types) that is very large (256km on each side) and where i actually do all what you suggest. I'm thinking of making theme packs (including a few more flight but mostly more classical "for walking" type of terrains).

8. SevenBits

SevenBits

Can you please use Mediafire for your standalone download links? Both downloads top out at around an hour each. I'm not going to wait that long for something as simple as this. Thank you.

9. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I really doubt it would be faster, my first link is on a dedicated server which i tested at between 550 to 950 MB / second, what kind of speed were you getting when downloading? When i try to download from the first link it downloads in 4 minutes.

I will put them on something else if you wish but i'd rather be sure first that it isn't just your connection being capped, also if it's slow i'd like to know so i can whine to my host.

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'm getting 10 minutes now for your primary host. I guess that's good enough. Where is your server based?

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It's hosted by OVH in france, but it's not a mid range host, they have very fast direct peering worldwide, so if you're not close to capping your connection there's an issue most likely (i have 300MB/s guaranteed to the internet, and not hosting anything except that right now)

12. SevenBits

SevenBits

No connection cap... must be your end. Anyway, just tried your demo. Runs very nice on my computer. Kudos.

13. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

So this works on linux then? It's a good news as i wasn't sure :)
    This is an early version really i'm planning to do 2 things:
    - Polish the terrain more (remove the crack/ artefacts by changing the graph for some added smoothing on artefact areas)
    - Generate 32K maps (will take a while, it's using up 220gig of ram atm and should take around 3 days!)
    - Make an asset store package for all the small scripts in there that will be free and i'll extend over time, i think with so many talented artists it would be good to have a consistent small script collection, currently i have the following : Automatically go fullscreen at max suported resolution (allows getting rid of the player without having to guess which resolution is a good default) / decent fps counter (averaged over last 1000 frames, or averaged over all frames if < 1000 frames, no memory allocation using a pre sized queue) / A lookat camera / ObjectSwitcher to switch between gameobjects in order in an array of gameobjects (the tab key in my demo to switch between 260K 65K poly meshes)

14. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Oh also would really like to know the following:
    - Where you are based
    - Your ISP name / offering name
    - Your connection speed
    - The actual speed you had while downloading
    If it sounds out of whack i'll contact OVH with that info.

15. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Ronan, is there any chance you can provide displacement too? I plan add support for them following VLI and workflow reform.

16. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

You mean bake displacement from original mesh to the optimised mesh? Well i don't know, in theory i can, in practice i need to find a software that will let me do it on . . . a >200million vert input mesh :)

17. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

No, I mean an actual height map that can be used as displacement. I assumed this would be trivial to export in WM.

However, now that I think of it: since it's so high res, it would have to be at least 16bpc and the package is big enough as it is. Also I'm not sure I can support more than 8bpc for now.

18. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It's already included yes, it's why it can also be used as unity terrain, what is it you mean? It's very diferent depending on if you mean displacement as in to displace the whole terrain from a flat plane, or to add displacement to the base mesh, from WM i can only export the full heightmap, not "something to add on top of the mesh".

19. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Yes, I meant for cases where your meshes are not used, and some kind of adaptive geometry method is used instead. So, definitely *not* projection-based displacement. Something like Amplify Terrain ;)

20. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well yea sure i can do that, hell you could combine both aplify terrain for fast rendering + simple mesh hidden for collision i guess?
    In that case the answer is yes i can provite as large (and actually already generated) heightmaps as i can texture/normals.

21. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Yes, something like that. I also have a few ideas for the collision part.

Awesome!

22. PolyMad

PolyMad

I use WM too :)

I think you are missing some finer noise in the terrains here.
    If you watch it with critical eyes you will notice it ;) or just compare it with an aerial photo of some mountains or of War Thunder :D

23. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Actually you're right, but wouldn't it be better to add that level of detail with repeating normals over the high res map? Else i could add a thin blended layer of high res noise outside of the now deposit areas maybe?

24. imtrobin

imtrobin

You should put textures on the terrain to make it more realisti.

25. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

The whole point of this is to actually have a single unique never tiling texture, you can very well add your own details texture blended on top when close (using something like the color map shader), what you're seeing there is only the base far away color map, so it's actually extremely detailed for a color map