Search Unity

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Acumen

Acumen

It's just a white font with a 2pixel stroke outline and a 3 pixel stroke drop shadow effect. Pretty easy to replicate :)

2. freakprince

freakprince

freakprince:
    You can lower the time in the player manager's SinkEffects() function.

i zeroed out everything and it still takes time to stop

3. rawon

rawon

Hello, I have a question regarding the torpedo script. On ResetItem() function, why does it have to wait for 2 seconds before executing it?

4. Dreeka

Dreeka

First of all, sorry for the late reply! From monday to thursday, I spend most of my time at university, so my free time is rather limited in those 4 days.

freakprince:
    Zeroing out the values in the SinkEffects() function makes the scrolling stop after the submarine has hit the ground. To make the scrolling stop at a crash, you have to skip the Sink state, and call the SinkEffects() function when a collision happens.

You can call the SinkEffects() function in the following form: StartCoroutine ("SinkEffects");

rawon:
    So that the torpedo particles can play after a collision, because in the current system, the explosion particle is a child of the torpedo.
    In the new, not yet released version, this has changed, thanks to a particle manager (with a pooling system).

5. Dahr

Dahr

Dreeka, first of all I'd like to say this is a very good kit. I just bought it and loving it. Just 2 questions:
    1. Is the .psd for this available, where can I download it?
    2. For future updates on the kit, how will it be made available to us?
    Thanks and keep up the good job.

6. pky

pky

Hi, the version now is 1.05 when can I expect the newer version?
    I saw some post here few weeks ago there is some lag on certain device and resolution issue is it will be fixed in next coming version ?

7. Matt-Duffield

Matt-Duffield

Would you mind sharing how you got iOS devices with the right resolution. I published to my iPhone 5C and it doesn't look right. Thanks!

8. EmergingMobile

EmergingMobile

Excellent package Dreeka! I just completed and uploaded my latest app to the google play store, which I made with this toolkit. I just wanted to showcase it here and get your thoughts! Thanks! - Desert Eagle - Soaring Bird

$chartboost_1600.jpg

Attached Files:

9. mangustas

mangustas

Hi there, again :D. I have noticed that my high score in the main menu (start screen) doesn't updating. It stuck at 0 (zero) and nothing happened. What could be wrong? I haven't changed any code in this toolkit. And another thing is in the missions panel. Every time I open the missions panel (whether it's in the main menu or in the pause/game over screen) it just shows "Completed 0/0" but not the actual missions. I just running the downloaded package, nothing has been changed at all.
    Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry, but another stupid question came up. The main character is build upon Renderer, and it's not animated at all. How could I make my main character from Renderer to Animated character (Sprite based)? I tried changing type of the subMaterial from Renderer to Sprite, but when other functions stopped working. Thank you again, Dreeka, and sorry for stupid questions.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  10. CoolerThanNos

CoolerThanNos

Hey Dreeka,

I bought the kit and it is great but it has some problems. I was testing it on my windows phone 8(HTC 8X) and the performance was really poor. It seems to stutter every now and then. What could be the issue?

11. Papatriz

Papatriz

Hello, Dreeka,

I would like to buy your package and just waiting for next update to do it.
    So, can you please provide any ETA?

12. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply! I am having an test heavy week, and I have much to learn. Still, I know it is not fair of me to keep you waiting for soo much time. So, from now on, I am going to visit the forums every day, and I am going to answer your questions within 24 hours.

Dahr:
    I will give information about the .psd in my next post. The updates will be available in the asset store.

pky, Papatriz:
    My weekend is free, so hopefully I will be able to finish it this month.

Matt Duffield:
    Will look into it.

EmergingMobile:
    Really nice, good job! :)

mangustas:
    I havent experienced the bugs you mentioned, but I will look into it. To create an animated character, create a new one with animations, then assign the player manager to it.

CoolerThanNos:
    Wait for the next update, it will get better.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  13. pky

pky

Hi Dreeka,

I also interested on the 2D Flappy Toolkit is it will sell in Asset Store soon or will be delay for several weeks to go for sale in asset store?

14. mangustas

mangustas

Hi Dreeka, thank you for your answer. At first, everything was ok, when I first uploaded package to Unity, missions were showing perfectly, but when I played a bit of the game and completed a couple of the missions, it started showing me "Completed 0/0". EDIT: I just reuploaded the entire package again to the Unity and created brand new project, and now everything is working fine with Missions. Also high score is working fine right now, so it may seem that I screwed something up :D , both issues SOLVED. Thank you Dreeka, best Unity3d Toolkit I have ever had!

15. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

I bought this asset today and i am beginner to unity and programming (like a hobby). Game has some problems for me.
    - Submarine goes very smooth but when it hits coins game lags.
    - When level generates i see group of coins spawning on screen (ex: 3/10).
    * One more thing i want to say, its not a problem but submarine must have 2-3 seconds untouchable or guarded state after using speed power. Because after speed you can directly hit obstacles.

But in general Thanks for this good asset :)
    (Sorry if i made mistakes about English because its not my 1st language)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  16. Dahr

Dahr

Hi Dreeka,
    Do you have any documentation or tutorials for adding sound or audio manager?
    Thanks

17. Dzxyan

Dzxyan

Hi,
    When i run the toolkit,
    i realise i have a problem with mission,
    i can done with the missions,
    but when i reopen the toolkit again,
    the mission auto reset again,
    any help?

18. Dreeka

Dreeka

pky:
    It has been rejected do to copyright concerns.

mangustas:
    Glad it is solved!

Fahrettin:
    The kit should not lag on PC. Have you modified anything on the kit, so these issues appear from the beginning?

Dahr:
    You can find several tutorials on the net (like this and this).

Dzxyan:
    It looks like the mission state is not saved. Probably you have changed something in the mission or save manager

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  19. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

No, i did not modified the kit. Tried fresh install and it lags again on computer and phone (Note 2).
    I couldnt find solution for coin spawn problem too. It must be spawned and you need to see but i see them when they are spawning on screen.

20. Dzxyan

Dzxyan

actually i not really change the thing inside the kit,
    now i almost finish my apps, and i realize i still didn't update to 1.0.5 (maybe got bug on 1.0.4),
    any help without update it? because i got change a lot of script in kit already.
    I think i miss here

21. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

Anyone knows how can i use multiple languages ? and i cant change missions :confused:
    When will you update this asset i am really waiting for it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  22. Dreeka

Dreeka

Fahrettin:
    Can you post a screenshot about the coins?

Dzxyan:
    The missions worked fine in 1.04 as well. Check the save function in the mission manager, and make sure it is called.

Fahrettin:
    You can change the missions in the mission managers inspector view (the mission manager can be found in the overlord gameobject).
    Multi language is not supported out of the box, you will need to write your own script for it (or use a third party one).

23. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

I found solution for coins. In LevelGenerator gameobject i moved "Triggerer" to left and i was lucky its normal now. :D
    Now i am learning lots of thing with your asset. Ex: SoundmanagerPro works great with this asset.

About multi language i didnt ask directly to you but i tried 2 different free asset and failed. If someone made this please share some tips :)

24. CoolerThanNos

CoolerThanNos

Hey Dreeka,

Any ETA on the update? I have implemented many new features and changed the GUI completely and now I am adding some new features which will change the code drastically. I want to know the release date so that I don't change more stuff in the kit or I will have to rewrite the code again to work when the new update comes.

25. freakprince

freakprince

what method did you guys use to save the games variables and highscores?

26. Dreeka

Dreeka

Fahrettin:
    Glad it is fixed now. :) I haven't tried to add multi language to my projects, so I cant help at the moment, but if I find something promising, I will share it!

CoolerThanNos:
    I am still working on it (I have lost a few days of work due to a hard drive error). If you would like to use your modifications in the new version, you will have to copy it to the new build manually (and probably change some parts of it), because the code is restructured from the ground. Because of this, the manager (and other) classes are now smaller and easier to read/modify.

freakprince:
    You can find them in the static class SaveManager.

27. Dahr

Dahr

Dreeka, I'm testing this in several iOS but it seems this only works for iPad (4:3) and 1024x768. I did try changing the scale values in Overlod game object but it seems your ResolutionManager script doesn't make the necessary adjustments to target iPhones. Please let me know how to get this fixed. Thanks.

28. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

We are waiting for update. Maybe he can change ResolutionManager too :)

I tried on Note 2 and has no problem but on Xperia Z it doesnt fit ...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  29. ilovebiscuits

ilovebiscuits

Hi, I just wanted thank you for creating this AWESOME toolkit!

I'm a Flash developer and have only recently started playing with Unity.
    I'm not much of a programmer, more of a graphics and GUI designer and there is a few things I would like some help with....

1. How do I make the 'Obstacles' scroll at the exact same speed as the 'Sand'?

2. How do I make the 'Background' scroll and loop like the 'Sand'?

3. On the first play the 'Logo' and 'Tap the screen to play' text is displayed. After the submarine dies, and the play button is pressed there is no 'Logo' only the 'Tap the screen to play' text. How do I make the 'Logo' display after it resets?

Any help would be much appreciated :D

30. mangustas

mangustas

Hi, Dreeka, I wanted to ask, is there any simple way to make obstacles appear more often? I mean is there any way to narrow the gap between when the obstacles should appear on the user screen? Thank you.

31. abar

abar

Just bought this, so far it seems pretty easy to customize. Slightly concerned about the stuttering on my nexus 4, is performance on mobile something that's going to be addressed in the next update? speaking of which, any ideas when that update might happen?

For anyone worried about the sand scrolling stuttering that people have reported on some mobile devices, it's happening because the sand is scrolled simply by setting a texture offset, and once that gets large enough, cheap mobile gpus don't have the floating point precision needed, so it appears to stutter. To fix it, you can just wrap the offset beyond 1.0

find this line in LevelGenerator.cs (should be 157)
    offset.x += (scrollForg * Time.deltaTime / 10) / scaleFactor;
    and add this immediately afterwards
    offset.x = offset.x - (int)offset.x;

32. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

Find LevelGenerator and just move "Triggerer" to the right. ;)

33. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

Dreeka said he will release update with big changes. Ex: New Level Generation. This update must have mostly performance improvements

34. Minibobina

Minibobina

ETA on the new Update?? Been working on the Main Menu/Artwork/ect to buy time for the update to come out but, now I'm left with nothing else to do =(

35. Dreeka

Dreeka

Dahr, Fahrettin:
    The current Resolution Manager can get a false reading on the resolution of some devices (the fix is on my to do list).
    You can do you own temporary fix in the following way: create a new resolution setting based on the return value of the Resolution Manager's GetAspectRatio(int a, int b) function. If you need further help with it, send me your skype adress.

ilovebiscuits:
    Thanks for the positive comment, I am glad you like! :)
    1. The obstacles should scroll at the same speed with the sand out of the box.
    2. The background is currently a simple sprite. You have to change the texture type to advanced (just like the sand). Then apply it to a quad, and scroll it with the material's mainTextureOffset X axis. You can see the code for the sand in the LevelGenerator's ScrollLevel() function.
    3. In the GUIManager's Restart() function, delete the following line: mainMenuElements[0].SetActive(false);

mangustas:
    Move the obstacle group's spawn triggerer of the left.

abar:
    Thanks for the fix! :)

Minibobina, and those who are waiting for the update:
    I am spending most of my free time on the update, and I am near finish. This update will contain several performance and code improvement, a new powerup system, a new alien skin, and a really awsome now documentation for you to enjoy! :)

36. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

37. AntonioDC

AntonioDC

I just bought this incredible kit and I am learning a lot from it
    is just that I have a question, why when I try to change the asset of the submarine for a car for example, before starting the game there is my car but in runtime the submarine appears again? Where do I need to change the texture of the submarine for my car? I am asking ths just because I am learning about textures and materials Thanks!

38. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

First of all i am beginner too :D
    In Project tab when you click your image, settings will show up in Inspector tab. You need to choose "sprite".
    But when i started i named my image "submarine" and pasted it to "Textures" folder. It auto updates submarine to your image ;)

39. Dreeka

Dreeka

Fahrettin:
    Thanks for the device list, I will look at the resolution of the Xperia Z. And good job with the game! :)

AntonioDC, Fahrettin:
    You have to assign the new sprite to the player manager, because it changes the sprite at runtime.

40. freakprince

freakprince

Dreeka can you explain to me how to make my project rescale for all devices?

41. srmed

srmed

hi Dreeka

I want to buy the latest version and the latest version on Dec 16, 2013 !! ...
    - Is there an update coming?
    - And when it will be launched?
    - Does it will add new features such as weapons Fight?

42. freakprince

freakprince

i really wish this package had better support..

43. Dreeka

Dreeka

freakprince:
    You have to declare every aspect ratio you wish to support in the resolution manager. I know some devices currently get a false aspect ratio, but if you can try some device out, there is a temporary solution above.

srmed:
    The update will be released on tuesday. It mostly contains technical updates (every script has been redesigned from the ground), a new powerup system, a second skin, and a much better documentation. Player used weapons will not be in the update.

44. shereer

shereer

great :)
    I'm excited to see the new version.

45. echoic

echoic

Awesome kit so far!

Do the missions only save temporarily? They seem to reset (I think when I complete all missions). I want the missions to stay completed. Any ideas?

46. Fahrettin

Fahrettin

My opinion is you need to wait a little for new update. Because it can be change.

47. Yosry

Yosry

Hi, Dreeka,
    I bought this Kit. thank you for your awesome Kit. exactly what i was look for. :)

48. freakprince

freakprince

i thought the update was coming today?

49. Dreeka

Dreeka

News on the update:
    The new version is done and ready. Working on the new documentation, and and the unityscript translation. I wont be able to work tomorrow because of university, but the update will be uploaded in the day after tomorrow.

Version 2.0 Changelist:
    • The kit structure and the scripts have been recreated from the ground.
    • New Input System
    • New GUI System
    • New Level Manager
    • New Level Generator
    • New Player Manager
    • New Mission System
    • New Save Manager
    • New Resolution Manager
    • New Power-up System
    • New Documentation

To get an idea of the scale of this update, lets take a look on a few things.
    In the old version, the entire GUI was controlled by 1 script, the GUI Manager. Because of this, it had around 1050 lines. It was hard to read and modify. In the new system, it is cut into smaller scripts. Now each menu has it's own script, and the GUI Manager holds them together. This way, the GUI Manager is only 400 lines long, and the smaller scripts are around 100. It is much easier to read and modify now.

The Level Generator has been changed in a similar way as well. It is only 200 lines long, from 600. Now you can also add/remove/change level layers easily from the inspector, so you dont need to change the code to do it. You can also easily define new layer behaviours, and add it to the Level Generator, if you have something special in mind.

The other scripts has been reduced in size and complexity as well (Player Manager is now 400 lines long, down from 720, Save Manager is now 100, from 250, and so on).

The Resolution Manager has been changed as well, and it should detect the right aspect ratio in every device.

The Documentation has been updated as well, it will be around 21-22 pages long (from 9 pages), and it contains UML diagrams as well.

The new skin will not made it to this update (because of university), only to the next. Also, this update is not compatible with the previous version. So you should not import this to your project.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  50. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

cool stuff