Search Unity

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Dreeka

Dreeka

That would help to locate the source of the issue. I would also appreciate a little extra info about the circumstances.

2. kodagames

kodagames

Hi Dreeka,

I have a few quick questions if you don't mind.

1) Is this optimized for mobile devices?
    2) Does this have Universal support for smart phones and ipads/epads? In other words will it scale automatically for different screen resolutions?
    3) I read Unity 3.5.x is now supported?

If these are all yes then I can't wait to purchase a copy.

Sincerely,
    Michael

3. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

1. Yes, it is optimised as possible (but more optimisation is possible with third party plugins)
    2. Yes, it has an aspect ratio based resolution manager.
    3. Yes, it is.

4. kodagames

kodagames

Thats Awesome!
    Consider a copy sold :)

5. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

Can some one help a noob here..

I've bought and checked the asset, when making a new project. But i can't see anything when i open the project.
    Can someone help me, like step-by-step on how to use this ?

Thanks in advance

6. Acumen

Acumen

Hey,
    thanks for purchasing the toolkit!

It may seem like an obvious question but did you follow the steps that are outlined in the included pdf documentation ?
    I tried it myself the other day step by step like it is outlined and after checking the tags and loading the according scene for my unity4 version I could just press play in the editor and it worked like a charm for me.
    Obviously Dreeka might be more helpful, I just thought you may have overseen the pdf file.
    Cheers :)

7. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Yes i read the pdf, and i found the tags, but the tags ware already ok, think so?, then i came to the "scene" section and i just lost it. Cant find any scene selection anywhere, and all the other things you mentioned, i have no clue what these are :p

Im totally new to Unity4, and all the others for that matter :)

8. Acumen

Acumen

Again I'm just the artist on this project, so bare with me :)
    In the "Scenes" folder you should just doubleclick one of the scenes, depending on the unity version you have installed, there's one for 3.5 and one for 4.X. That doubleclick should load up all the used assets and scripts so that you should see a good amount of the game in the scene preview and hitting the play button should give you the game working.

If you shall not get it to work, just wait a bit for Dreeka - he shall be your saviour :D

9. Dreeka

Dreeka

From your description, I think you have not opened a scene. Go to the project tab, and navigate to the unity 4 scenes (2DInfiniteRunnerToolkit -> Scenes -> 4_X) and open one of the 2 scenes. Then you should be able to see the level.

$scene.png

10. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

Ahhhh there we go.. lol! Thanks a lot. Was looking in Edit, and all that stuff :p

Working great now :)

11. Okarena

Okarena

Hi Dreeka,

Great toolkit first of all, but before to purchase it I would like to ask few questions:

1. how many graphic items in this game? Is this is everything what is shown in the description: https://d2ujflorbtfzji.cloudfront.n...68949e-818f-41d7-8af6-391100dc8f85_scaled.jpg
    2. For which screen resolution these graphics designed?
    3. Does the game setup allowed to use different graphic sets for different resolution (like iPad1 1024x768 and iPad3 2048x1536) and different aspect ratio screens(like iPhone and iPhone5) or all graphics will be automatically scaled on different devices?
    4. If I would like to extend this project - can I use 2D Toolkit or it will be needed to re-work then everything?
    5. How complicated it will be add in-app purchases for iOS ?
    6. And also could you please let me know how complicated will be to add sounds?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey Okarena,

1. The image shows every graphics asset which is available in the kit at the moment.
    2. The graphics was designed for 1024x768.
    3. There is an aspect ratio based resolution manager, and it supports multiple aspect ratios (and more can be added).
    4. You will only need to replace the current 2 triangle planes with the 2D Toolkit elements .
    5. If you use third party plugins, then not much.
    6. Not complicated at all, if you have the sounds, you only need to write an audio manager.

13. loyalpenguin

loyalpenguin

Hi I bought the kit and it works great. I was just having a problem finding out how to modify the missions text. I can't seem to find it anywhere. For example maybe changing "Collect " + variable + "coins!" to "Collect " + variable + "money!".

14. loyalpenguin

loyalpenguin

Actually I found it. I guess I have to get used to setting variables in the Inspector not code.

15. Dreeka

Dreeka

Setting some data in the inspector is more user friendly, and easier. Glad it is okay now!

16. Acumen

Acumen

Hey,
    just thought I'd share a glimpse of a potential reskin of the submarine game.
    *wooosh* cute helicopter it is !
    While we work hard on our next kit, we will of course continue supporting the 2D Infinite Runner Toolkit !

17. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

How much copyright are there in this project ?
    I mean, if i redesign the whole design, besides the GUI(menu, messions, shop).

Can i then build it as an iPhone app and sell it ? or how much shall be redesigned before it can be sold ? :)

18. Acumen

Acumen

We have seen multiple projects spawning that didn't change even one single thing on the android market, which obviously is something we would not advise you to do, as well.
    However here's a more prominent example I just found now:
    http://vimeo.com/71568664

You can clearly see what was modified/added and it already seems enough to stand on its own, which is a really cool feeling for us :)
    Maybe you can judge for yourself what should be done in order to sell. Practically you can do what others did and sell as is, again, which is something I would heavily stay away from.

19. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

i wasn't planning to sell your project without making any changes, i don't have that low respect for others ;)
    But i have changed a lot in the gamle, and its now a bird game, altho, the GUI(points, finish menu, shop, missions) are still the same.
    Just wanted to know, how you guys think of that, if thats ok with you or you would prefer the GUI would be remade to :)

Oh. and btw.. theres a bug in the game somewhere.. if you use the JS scene 4_X, start a game -> die -> press play from finish menu -> now the particles don't always spawn. Torpedo's and special moves are the only ones that spawn.

20. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

You can publish your game with the original GUI. Good luck with you game! :)

21. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

Thanks a lot :) But i've actually made my own GUI, and the game is almost done :)

Do you know how to fix the bug ?
    If you crash in the game, and press "retry", then sometimes, obstacles don't spawn.

22. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

23. Dreeka

Dreeka

Skinkemus:
    First of all, sorry for the late reply!
    I have found the source of your problem. To fix it, do the following: Open the LevelGeneratorJS.js script, go to line 202, and replace
    Code (csharp):
    1. EnableDisable(activeElements[0], false);
    to
    Code (csharp):
    1. activeElements[0].GetComponent(ObstaclesJS).DeactivateChild();
    gekidoslair:
    Thanks you for reporting it, we will fix it as soon as possible.

24. Dreeka

Dreeka

25. Skinkemus

Skinkemus

AWESOME ! Thanks a lot ! :D

26. Acumen

Acumen

I'm terribly sorry for everyone that encountered the webplayer being blocked.
    My webspace got "hacked" and I'm just in the middle of cleaning up all the mess that was made.

Thank god Dreeka jumped in and immediately found a solution via dropbox,
    So here's again our updated webplayer link: 2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

And once again, I apologize for any issue you may have encountered and I hope you guys keep doing wonderful games with this kit !

27. MorxPlays

MorxPlays

Can I use the assets in other games if i buy it?

28. Dreeka

Dreeka

Yes, you can use the assets in other games.

29. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Hello! I'm starting using your awesome kit. First, i congratulate for the fantastic job there. :)
    I'm a newbie on Unity and game development, so i have a question: as i'm trying to test the template to start building for an iOS game, what should i change to import the scene (c# pref) on iPhone. What i should change for controls? ^^
    Thanks, and if you have some other advice for porting, let me know. :)

Kae

30. Dreeka

Dreeka

First of all, thanks for buying the kit!

To run it on the iPhone, make sure that the Input Manager's (attached to the Overlord) Use Touch variable is enabled in the inspector. That is all you need!

31. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Oh Thank!
    Now i have another problem, i don't know how it happened, but i'm almost sure there wasn't on first-time i imported the package.

$Particles.png

It seems a particle emitter symbol, i'm not an expert, but it seems to be related to explosions particles in torpedoes.. I'm not sure thou! It is always fixed in that spot, from the start of the game.
    I tried everything i could as a new user, but moving it, using different layer, changing type of particles, it is still there... Could you gently help me? ^^

32. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Nvm, Gizmoes... I have so much to learn... ^_^

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  33. Dreeka

Dreeka

Glad it is okay now! :)

34. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

I'm still here. Now that i'm getting a bit more into unity, i'm trying to custom input manager a bit. I'd like to move the Submarine with Mouse in both direction, so i tried to apply Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint and check if the click is higher or lower than player.position, but of course i failed. :D
    Have you got any suggestion to change controller instead of just going up and falling down?^^

Again, thanks, i'm learning so many things with your product!

35. Dreeka

Dreeka

First, you will need to read the y position of the mouse/touch using mouse position. Then you will need a script, which moves the submarine to that y position. You can use the MoveToPosition function in the player manager.

You will need to calculate the time component of the function based on the current y position, and the target y position. You should also smooth out the movement in the edges, you can see an example for it in the CalculateMovement function.

36. swissarmytank

swissarmytank

Hey im on the verge of buying this sweet looking kit but i have a couple questions.

Firstly, on the asset store it says it can be used to make any kind of infinite runner but it sounds like a lot of people on this forum want to make a game thats fairly similar to your demo. I want to do something pretty drastically different with a little dude jumping around, more like Canabalt. How hard would it be to implement something like this?
    My 2nd question, what does the workflow look like for adding animations? Is there any built in parameters or would it i just have to do that from scratch?

Thanks

37. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

To create a jump&run type game, you will only need to modify the control system. An animation system is not included in the kit, so you will have to do that (it is not hard to create a sprite based animation system, you can find really good tutorials for it).

If you have more questions, feel free to ask, and good luck with your project!

38. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Hey Dreeka, you got time to make a freelance work ?

39. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Sorry for the really late reply, I wasn't available.
    Please send the details of the work via pm, if still needed.

40. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.04 has been submitted to the asset store, containing small bug fixes.

Changelog:
    o Fixed: Best distance not showing in main menu
    o Fixed: The obstacles are sometimes missing after a crash

41. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Hey Mr. Acumen you page got some issues with Exploit.JS.Pdfka.gkj :(
    Get up and running quickly with Wordpress :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  42. Berserker44

Berserker44

hey this is an awesome toolkit, however I was wondering is there anyway of turning this into a 3D version? like maybe replacing some of the 2d assets with 3d. I understand its not as simple as this, but even if you couldn't it would be great if you could suggest some approaches to converting the game to 3d. This would be a definite buy if I could get some help with this particular subject.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  43. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Dreeka, got my message ?

44. Dreeka

Dreeka

Yes, got your message. Will download tomorrow, and take a look.

45. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Thank you, please send me your e-mail via PM.:

46. Efgames

Efgames

Anyone has successfully turned the system into a "run and jump" system?

I have been using the kit for a new game and I'm using animated sprites for the characters and objects. Unfortunately, I'm running into huge collision problems now... I'm still using the code in place for collision (colliders with name/layer check) and even when the character is clearing an obstacle with a high jump, the character still gets hit...
    I spent half a day trying to figure out if there were any problems with collision, to no avail...

Anyone had similar problems?

47. Dreeka

Dreeka

The kit can be turned into a run and jump type game. The collision should work okay. Are you moving the collider with the character?

48. Efgames

Efgames

Yep, the box collider is on the root of the object (sub Pivot I think in the original version) and a sub game object is the sprite within the root. The sprite doesn't have a collider.
    Only the root object, and it has a box collider that is roughly the size of the character.

I also tried to have very small collider on the obstacles and still, I was colliding with them.

The animated sprites are all created with 2d Toolkit. I'm not using custom collider - just box collider for all of them.

49. JackJick

JackJick

Are these change only in the Scripts? Cause if i will reimport the whole project, i will lose my changes in the scene.

50. Dreeka

Dreeka

Sorry for the late reply! I had technical problems with my pc.

Efgames:
    Do you still have the issue?

JackJick:
    The change in the code is only a single line, at LevelGeneratorJS.js line 202.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013