Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Dreeka

Dreeka

I have created the kit in C#, then manually translated it to JS.

2. Voronoi

Voronoi

I just purchased this and it's really nice! I've made some games before but not an infinite runner, and I was curious to see how you structured the code and set up your levels. It's really nice and simple, I like that it's all in one level.

One question I had is the way you are triggering new layers for the levels. You have it set up this way:

Group (kinematic RigidBody)
    - Group1A (kinematic RigidBody + box Collider)
    - Reset Trigger (box collider)
    - Spawn Trigger (box collider)

When Reset or Spawn hits a Box Collider on Level Edge they are reset. My question is what is the purpose of the Group kinematic Rigidbody and why doesn't the Reset and Spawn have a kinematic RigidBody attached?

My understanding is that a moving Collider without a rigidbody is more expensive, expecially on Mobile. Do the Reset and Spawn inherit the rigidbody from Group?

3. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Thank you for your purchase, and thanks for the positive feedback!
    Yes, the spawn and reset triggerers use the rigidbody of their parent in the current build.

4. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Any news on the 1.02 update?

5. Dreeka

Dreeka

It will be submitted in 1-2 days.

6. Tanercat

Tanercat

Hi thank you.

i paid via paypal.

How to download???

7. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Thank you for your purchase!
    To download the kit, you have to open the asset store from your unity installation, locate the kit, and click on download.

8. arutyunyan

arutyunyan

Hi, this is really nice kit!

I have a question about reusing of the graphics art - can it be taken as as it is and published for example on the App Store, or re-skinning must be done mandatory?

9. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

You can use the graphics art in your own products without or with modification.

10. Mormert

Mormert

Really awesome kit!
    Best finnished and editable, easly used, 2D, IOS, game on Asset Store! :
    Just make updates to this awesome thing! ;=)

11. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words! :)

12. jasonFHH

jasonFHH

Hi there!

The only thing holding me back from buying this is the lack of Unity 3.5.x support. The second that releases, I'm all over it! Any more updates on that?

(Not enjoying how Unity 4 has fragmented the Asset Store....has to be a better way!)

13. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

I had a delay with the next update (legal/taxing stuff), but it is almost done. I am working on the improved documentation at the moment, and hopefully, I can submit it to the asset store tomorrow.

14. Efgames

Efgames

Will buy as soon as 3.5 support update is released :)

15. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.02 has been submitted for the asset store, and it will be available to download soon!

The update contains the following:
    o Added support for Unity 3.5
    o Replaced unity plane with 2 vertex plane
    o Improved layer setup
    o Improved inspector for GUI Manager
    o Improved scene settings
    o Managers are now singleton classes
    o Added aspect ratio based resolution manager
    o New documentation
    o Code improvements
    o Bug fixes

16. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Update is now live...Great documentation now. Thanks Dreeka!

17. midorina

midorina

What's the news on in-app purchasing? Still on the to do list?

18. Acumen

Acumen

19. jasonFHH

jasonFHH

@Dreeka: Congrats! Great job listening to your customers! Buying it right now!

[side rant — skip if you have better things to do]

Unity gods — if you are listening — how can we prevent the fragmenting of the Asset Store before it gets ridiculous? Or is this all part of the master plan to just get all of us to upgrade? If that is the plan, well then I understand, and it's their right to do whatever they want really....

...but if that's NOT the plan, then there needs to be a better way to support the customers that bought 3.5.x believing it wouldn't become indirectly obsolete the second 4.x came out. By having the majority of new projects be incompatible w/ 3.5.x by default, it has fragmented the ecosystem growth of 3rd party apps plugins.

It's one thing for projects that make use of new 4.x-only features, but in reality most of these projects aren't even using any special Unity 4-based technology, it's just that their projects are built with the new 4.x foundational (Game Object) layer which is structurally-incompatible with 3.5.x.

[end rant]

Thanks again, and great job on the (highly-compatible) asset you've published.

20. Dreeka

Dreeka

Yes, the update is indeed live, thanks for the positive comments guys!

decerto:
    Currently, you can integrate this kit with other in app purchase plugins.

One more thins. If you buy/download version 1.02, go to the save manager, and uncomment the if statement in the CreateAndLoadData() function, because I accidentally left it commented out!

21. Adelphia

Adelphia

i am thinking about buying this but i want to make an endless runner thats actually a running character jumping over things or from platform to platform, would i be able to change this to do this. so far i tried to create it from scratch but i came across a big problem that no body can solve if anybody wants to have a look
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/497045/reloading-game-from-main-menu-problem.html
    also could i add facebook integration into this using one of the facebook assets, like posting the distance ran to there wall?

many thanks

22. Saxi

Saxi

@Dreeka Does this use the Orth camera or is it normal?

23. Dreeka

Dreeka

Adelphia:
    Yes, you can integrate facebook using a third party asset.

Saxi:
    Yes, it is uses an ortographics camera.

Update 1.02 has caused some issues on mobile devices. To fix this, I have submitted a new update (1.03) today, to fix these issues.

24. hluper

hluper

Can you tell us what all 1.03 will include?

25. Adelphia

Adelphia

hey i downloaded this and put in a few adjustments and such but when i put it on a webplayer it doesnt really work, nothings really there but in unity its fine.
    im trying to use a 3d modelled character instead of the sub but that doesnt show up as well as several of the background and foreground objects.
    the audio i put in as well doesnt play.

any ideas?

26. Dreeka

Dreeka

1.03 fixes some issues which appeared then the kit was deployed to a device, such as incorrect collisions, explosion position issues, and smaller bug fixes.

Adelphia:
    It is possibly caused by the modifications you made. Replacing the submarine with the 3d model is not really complicated. You have to replace the Submarine game object (child of the SubmarinePivot object) to the 3d model. As for the audio, you have to create an audio manager script, to handle and play them.

27. Adelphia

Adelphia

thats all i really did, exchanged your submarine with my 3d model, i have also tried it with a different 2d texture but as soon as i put it onto the webplayer the submarine texture comes back. and i just exchanged your background image with my own and moved them a little and the dont appear. feel really stupid because im not that new to unity, been using it for about 8 months now which is still kinda new i guess, but i cant figure out why its doing that.

28. Dreeka

Dreeka

You also have to change the Player Manager script's inspactor variable, called Sub Textures, if you wish to use a new visual look.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  29. Adelphia

Adelphia

30. Adelphia

Adelphia

just tried to use the scene for unity 3_5 even though i have unity 4 and the sub has changed to my character but theres still no pause or plants of any kind.

31. Dreeka

Dreeka

I would suggest to download and import the new update.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  32. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.03 is now live on the asset store, and the kit is now featured on the front page! Thanks Unity! :)

33. Adelphia

Adelphia

34. Dreeka

Dreeka

Have you downloaded 1.03?
    The kit contains a documentation. Go to the second chapter, project setup, and follow it. Once you are done with it, it has to run okay.
    Before uploading the new build, it was tested in an actual device, in webplayer, and in standalone, so there is no issue with the kit.

Please write back with the result.

35. Adelphia

Adelphia

when i open it i get a bunch of these

GameObject is active but a parent is inactive. Active state is now inherited. Change the parenting to get back the old behaviour!
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

dont know if that matters.
    also when i open the kit the layers are already there, i dont have to do anything from part 2

still getting this
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/190836296/bjkhgbjgkughg/bjkhgbjgkughg.html

dont understand :-?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  36. Dreeka

Dreeka

Yes, these errors are mentioned in the documentation. You get these because the kit was created in 3.5, and you are using it in 4.X. You can ignore them.

37. Adelphia

Adelphia

i thought thats the errors it was talking about but just wanted to make sure.

any idea about the other stuff?

38. Adelphia

Adelphia

you have any idea why i cant get it to work properly?

39. Dreeka

Dreeka

Do the following steps:
    • Open Unity
    • Go to File -> New Project -> Create Project
    • Once the new project is open, download the kit from the asset store (rather than importing it).
    • Setup the project as the documentation suggests
    • Go to File -> Build Settings and switch to webplayer
    • Go to File -> Build Settings and click build.

40. Adelphia

Adelphia

done it and the exact same thing as before some of the background layers dont show and the pause and distance GUI dont show.

is there a reason why i dont have to do the setup process? my layers are already named the way it says to name them.

41. SirManGuy

SirManGuy

Really neat kit I think it is well built. I tested it on the web-player and noticed that after about 180k distance the collisions start to break. I wanted to test that because of my first game I made as a kid (Pong) and the collisions broke down due to infinite speed of the ball. Awesome job though!

42. Dreeka

Dreeka

The webplayer is updated to the latest version!

Adelphia:
    Which OS do you use?

SirManGuy:
    You made it to 180k? You are a pro then :)
    The collision breaking is probably because of the speed. If you change the Collision Detection on the SubmarinePivot's rigidbody to continuous, it should improve it.
    Thanks for the kind review! :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  43. Adelphia

Adelphia

i am using OS X

44. Adelphia

Adelphia

just tried it on my windows PC and its the same but as well as not showing certain layers and the GUI the sand is completely straight, i think i remember seeing something about that earlier on this thread?

45. hubris666

hubris666

i didnt see the answer for this but it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Is it in your plans to do some in app purchasing abilities? I am going to buy this regardless of that one feature. Just really interested in how that part is done.

46. Dreeka

Dreeka

Adelphia:
    This is a strage issue, because the kit works for me, and for others as well. I am going to look for a solution!

hubris666:
    The kit will not have a built in in-app purchase in the near future. It is easy to integrate a third party in-app purchase plugin with the kit.

47. Adelphia

Adelphia

when i open the kit, all the tags are there for me already, should it be like that? i definitely think its something to do with the layers.
    could i maybe send you a unity project to look at?

48. Felix King

Felix King

I do have similar issues. Every now and then the sand is straight (that sounds weird ...) and parts of the texts are missing. Works fine in the editor (Unity 4.1.5f1) but happens every now and then on Android (4.2, Nexus 4). I'll post a screenshot when it happens the next time ...

49. Dreeka

Dreeka

Adelphia:
    Yes, please upload your project to someplace, and send the link in pm.

Felix King:
    Do you have this issue every time, or only sometimes?

50. Felix King

Felix King

Sometimes. I didn't find a way to reproduce it so far. All in all it happened to me about 4 or 5 times. Thought it was because I was messing around with settings and stuff. But then it happened on a "clean" project. Well ... I'll keep an eye on it now and post a screenshot if it happens again.