Search Unity

MonoDevelop not working in latest version 4.1.5

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RemiHac, Jun 8, 2013.

1. RemiHac

RemiHac

Hi,

I deleted unity 4.1.4 and clean the folder. But same problem with unity 4.1.4 with monodevelop. Always the error that must ppl have. I tried the solution for 4.1.4 with the file but it did not work for me. I try 4.1.5 because you said that you fixed the problem, but not. Very disappointed with unity .

Unity 4.1.3 problem to install with sdk android and know monodev. Do you have some testers. Do you test what you do. My only option is to go back yo unity 4.1.3 great.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. RemiHac

RemiHac

Ok i fixed the problem . install unity 4.1.3 go in monodevelop/ bin and take the file glibsharpglue-2.dll and put this one in monodevelop/bin of unity 4.1.5 and it works.

3. sonicviz

sonicviz

MonoDevelop not working for me since 4.1.5 "upgrade" *cough*
    Reverted to 4.1.3f and MonoDevelop would not even launch.

Now back on 4.1.5 with no MonoDevelop.

Please Unity...get it together.

4. zalogic

zalogic

Same thing happened to me!
    Thanks RemiHac! Your fix worked for me to allow MonoDevelop to start.
    But the files I modify aren't synced with Unity.
    Something mega-weird happens. If I modify any script in MonoDevelop and then I switch to Unity, Unity doesn't recompile that modified script until I right-click it and re-import it manually.
    That's it! Not upgrading to 4.1.4 or 4.1.5 cause they're not usable...at least not for me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. Mikie

Mikie

Just installed 4.1.5. No problems.

6. eezSZI

eezSZI

Waited to update until 4.1.5 to avoid MonoDevelop crashes. Updated and it worked fine for a few hours, then MonoDev crashed and now crashes upon each reload. Sounds like the same bug as 4.1.4:

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Mono.Cairo, Version=4.0.0.0,...

Tried:
    Dropping http://files.unity3d.com/levi/MonoDevelop.exe.config into Unity/MonoDevelop/bin/ (next to MonoDevelop.exe ) should allow you to launch MD as usual."

Still doesn't work for me. Should've waited one more version I guess!

7. sonicviz

sonicviz

That's different to me, I get the following - but *glad* to see it's not just me (though happy for you @Milie;-)

MonoDevelop failed to start. The following error has been reported: Unable to find an entry point named 'gtksharp_list_get_data' in DLL 'glibsharpglue-2'.
    System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'gtksharp_list_get_data' in DLL 'glibsharpglue-2'.

at GLib.List.gtksharp_list_get_data(IntPtr l)

at GLib.List.GetData(IntPtr current)

at GLib.ListBase.ListEnumerator.get_Current()

at GLib.ListBase.CopyTo(Array array, Int32 index)

at GLib.Marshaller.ListToArray(ListBase list, Type type)

at GLib.Marshaller.ListPtrToArray(IntPtr list_ptr, Type list_type, Boolean owned, Boolean elements_owned, Type elem_type)

at Gtk.Container.get_Children()

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandToolbar.SetEnabled(Boolean enabled) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandToolbar.cs:line 73

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.RegisterCommandBar(ICommandBar commandBar) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 1225

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandToolbar..ctor(CommandManager manager, String id, String title) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandToolbar.cs:line 40

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.CreateToolbar(String id, CommandEntrySet entrySet, Object initialTarget) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 496

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.CreateToolbar(String id, CommandEntrySet entrySet) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 491

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.CreateToolbarSet(String addinPath) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 128

at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.DefaultWorkbench.InitializeWorkspace() in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui\DefaultWorkbench.cs:line 271

at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Workbench.Initialize(IProgressMonitor monitor) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui\Workbench.cs:line 78

at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeApp.Initialize(IProgressMonitor monitor) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\Ide.cs:line 171

at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(String[] args) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\IdeStartup.cs:line 242

8. MihaPro@HC

MihaPro@HC

I have the same error :(

9. efryt

efryt

I experience same issue.

EDIT: Additional info - when I tried to open glibsharpglue-2.dll in Dependency Walker i got following error report:

hope it helps somehow

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. mcautillo

mcautillo

I'm having this issue as well.

11. Screenhog

Screenhog

I'll add my issue as well. When I double-click an error in the Console, I receive this:

If I try to open Monodevelop by itself, nothing happens.

Ironically, the one fix in 4.1.5 is the fixing of MonoDevelop for Windows. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

12. sonicviz

sonicviz

From http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/185224-MonoDevelop-not-working-in-latest-version-4-1-4/page3

resolved my issue. I had an install of GTK# for .net form Novell, but unsure now as to what it was related to so something else is broken now.

Please fix Unity!

13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Has anyone reported this as a bug with their repro steps? If so, what's the bug number?

14. sonicviz

sonicviz

I originally reported it https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?546577_prkt4k92b48bmoi5 but without specifics at the time.
    [mea culpa - should have been much more specific with the error]

Can't update the bug report with final solution [uninstall conflicting "GTK# for .net" install] though, maybe you can pass it on?

ty!

15. Aurore

Aurore

It's quite vague, could you reply to your autoresponse with the rest of the information. Also to everyone else, please report this as detailed as you can. Thanks

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just replied to my autoresponse for my bug submission: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?547101_2mhfcua4vqp3uv51

I was getting the same error as sonicviz:

But I didn't have time to troubleshoot and I immediately reverted back to 4.1.3, which works for me.

17. sonicviz

sonicviz

Sure, done. Ty!

18. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Done, but honestly... one can reproduce it just installing 4.1.5f1 on a Windows PC. MonoDevelop is incomplete. On Mac looks ok, but I'm not really a Mac user so I can't use it there (keyboard and mouse on mac are too different to be productive).

PLEASE FIX LIKE YESTERDAY !!!!

19. Aurore

Aurore

Thanks! Bug number DFT Games?

20. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

It's the bug/case #547154

21. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Yup same issue here, monodevelope won't launch and my scripts aren't even being recognized as scripts (it says imported object in the inspector with no code preview).

22. Scissors

Scissors

@Aurore, any idea of how long its gonna take to fix it? wondering whether i should roll back or wait for an update...

23. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Rolling it back didn't fix it for me, I had to install a trial of visual studio 2012 to be able to edit my scripts within unity, I hope they fix this soon.

24. sonicviz

sonicviz

Rolling it back does not work.

Did you try the fix I mentioned on Page 1?

"I looked through my installed programs and found a "GTK# for .net" installed so removed it and mono started properly afterwards"

10 to 1 you have some other "GTK# for .net" installed. Worked for me anyway!

25. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Ah there we go removing that program fixed it thanks.

26. Scissors

Scissors

Rolling it back worked fine for me, but ill try that fix, cause i'd rather have the updated version sooner

27. efryt

efryt

removing GTK "fixes" monodevelop running. but I'm unable to Attach to Unity Editor process in order to debug. So it's partially acceptable as a solution

28. sonicviz

sonicviz

I just tested debug and it's working for me so not sure what's up with yours.

Originally I rolled back to 4.1.3f but then MonoDevelop would not work at all, would just hang on starting with no error. I had no choice but to go back to 4.1.5. Tried the UniIDE demo as well as I have scriptInspector2, but while both are ok they are not a full substitute for code IDE unfortunately. I use ScriptInspector with MonoDevelop not as a replacement.

Hopefully Unity will fix it, as they will the "This package needs Unity 4.2" messages on some of the AssetStore packages I bought but now cant seem to use as 4.2 has not been officially released.

29. nospam94

nospam94

Doesn't know why i paid such a price for such a buggy product. Have to wait 4.2 to release an .exe that didn't crash when leaving game.... Unity has promise me that 4.2 will be good for that bugg but i have encountered many other bug with 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3 ... so it mean 4.2.0 will have trouble too.

It's hard to eat when tools are "Windows Like" (blue screen)

Maybe my answer is not pleasant. I'm not a studio, i'm a newby that made investment in the sofware for a real career project and i can't afford to tell customer that buggs or troubles on my commercial product are relevant to my provider ....

last days i played with substance, there are bug, well known bug from 3.5 and 1 year after, bugs are always here but i paid for this ....

I love unity and the product itself but please, remember that we are customers.

PS : I tried Steals demo project => unity crash on import.., i tried angry bot that was good before and error. I think it was easier before release 4

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  30. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I'd really love to have some feedback about this :/

31. sonicviz

sonicviz

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  32. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

On the offchance that it's the same bug I had - there was a crash involving deleting physics objects (rigidbodies) when Time.timeScale == 0. If your timescale is zero when leaving the game, you might want to try setting it to a small value (0.00001) or even back to 1 just when you are about to exit, and see if it helps.

33. Cawas

Cawas

Same problem here. Thanks Paul sonicviz for your feedback!

I'll be rolling back to Unity 4.0.0f7, which was my previous version and quite stable.

34. imnimn

imnimn

I have the same problem
    I did this 1- tried to download the config file and put it in bin .....still have the problem
    2-uninstall the unity and re install it ....still have the problem even after opying the file
    3- uninstall the unity and deleting mono develop and reinstall it ........the problem stayed even after I tried to put the config file again

note: (when I deleted the mono develop there was some files could not be deleted because they are worked so I went to task manager and end the processes that for mono develop ) I guess that I should mention this

please help me...

thanks alot

35. sonicviz

sonicviz

@imnimn Please read the thread properly. The copy config file is not the solution for this issue, it's related to another install of "GTK# for .net"

It's all in the thread above chronologically with links.

36. imnimn

imnimn

I could not understand you Mr,sonicviz

I have downloaded version 4.1.3 and then I upgrade it to 4.1.5 then mono did not work
    and gave me this error as above

System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'gtksharp_list_get_data' in DLL 'glibsharpglue-2'.

at GLib.List.gtksharp_list_get_data(IntPtr l)

at GLib.List.GetData(IntPtr current)

at GLib.ListBase.ListEnumerator.get_Current()

at GLib.ListBase.CopyTo(Array array, Int32 index)

at GLib.Marshaller.ListToArray(ListBase list, Type type)

at GLib.Marshaller.ListPtrToArray(IntPtr list_ptr, Type list_type, Boolean owned, Boolean elements_owned, Type elem_type)

at Gtk.Container.get_Children()

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandToolbar.SetEnabled(Boolean enabled) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandToolbar.cs:line 73

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.RegisterCommandBar(ICommandBar commandBar) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 1225

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandToolbar..ctor(CommandManager manager, String id, String title) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandToolbar.cs:line 40

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.CreateToolbar(String id, CommandEntrySet entrySet, Object initialTarget) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 496

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.CreateToolbar(String id, CommandEntrySet entrySet) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 491

at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.CreateToolbarSet(String addinPath) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Components.Commands\CommandManager.cs:line 128

at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.DefaultWorkbench.InitializeWorkspace() in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui\DefaultWorkbench.cs:line 271

at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Workbench.Initialize(IProgressMonitor monitor) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui\Workbench.cs:line 78

at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeApp.Initialize(IProgressMonitor monitor) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\Ide.cs:line 171

at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(String[] args) in c:\BuildAgent\work\f07246b5212f7be4\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\IdeStartup.cs:line 242

I need your help
    thanks

37. sonicviz

sonicviz

Read the thread from http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/18...ersion-4-1-5?p=1269579&viewfull=1#post1269579 , I posted exactly the same error. It sounds like you haven't even bothered to read the thread and just posted based on the title, otherwise you wouldn't be repeating it. Solution was posted http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/18...ersion-4-1-5?p=1270975&viewfull=1#post1270975

It's 99% sure that you have somewhere on your PC another install of "GTK# for .net" from some other application. Unity 4.1.5 is having a conflict a with it which causes mono develop to crash. Locate and uninstall the other "GTK# for .net" that is causing the conflict , or wait for a bug fix from Unity which is currently in development tba.

38. stevedh

stevedh

Just to let you know I had the same problem.
    went to progams and features
    found
    Gtk# for .Net 2.12.10 installed 05/07/2012
    uninstaller it (can't remember what I installed it for, or if uninstalling will give me problems later but I do lots of dev work so have loads of sdk's installed).
    and that fixed it.
    Steve

39. imnimn

imnimn

Thanks a lot Mr Steve and Mr sonicviz

it's worked now

40. sonicviz

sonicviz

Great! Sorry if I sounded a little testy. I don't have a problem with not understanding (I ask questions, usually dumb ones, myself all the time) I just get a little annoyed if people don't demonstrate they have bothered to read what others have written already. It's how I found the solution in the first place, from someone else on another thread after all!

41. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

I'm having the same problem too and the config copy didn't help. How can this be fixed? Or, as I find MonoDevelop short on many features that make writing code easier, are there better free alternatives?

ed: 10 secs after posting I tried just removing the config file instead of replacing it with the downloaded one. Now it works.

42. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

So... 3 weeks are gone... the current version is still broken... shall we worry?

43. sonicviz

sonicviz

It's coming...like Unity Gui!

44. Teeleton

Teeleton

I made the jump to Ximarin. It's not perfect, but at least I can work again.

Basically, in Unity I had to go into Edit->Preferences, External Tools and change it from MonoDevelop to Ximarin Studio. Then every time I start Unity after that, I select Assets->Sync Monodevelop Project _BEFORE_ trying to open anything. Once Ximarin is launched and the solution loaded (should be automatic), then you can use Unity as before. Only real sticking point I have at the moment is when I click an error on the console, it opens the file, but not at the right line, so I have to look at the line # in the error, and scroll to it.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I get this error, and don't even *have* GTK# for .net installed, so I'll have to hope there's another solution.

46. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Where are these errors showing up for you guys? My Monodevelop is crashing on startup, but no errors are popping up anywhere that I can see.

Thing is, my issue started happening in 4.1.2... seemingly out of nowhere. I'd been on that version for months and today out of nowhere it won't open anymore. I haven't changed anything as far as I know. :-?

47. Rnd--

Rnd--

Unity 4.1.3 works fine
    Unity 4.1.5 cant start monodevelop
    Unity 4.2 (hope its fixed) nope its still same error :(

48. grandshadowdude

grandshadowdude

This should have been fixed in 4.2. What's goin' on!?

49. sonicviz

sonicviz

It does not appear to be fixed, you have to apply the fix yourself.
    (same fix as described in this thread)

At the very bottom of Unity 4.2 release notes:
    MonoDevelop may fail to start correctly on Windows if an old version of Gtk# is installed on the system. Please uninstall this version, and install a newer one if still needed.
    http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.2.html

Worked for me. Suggest you search your system for a GTK# install and uninstall it.

50. Cawas

Cawas

DAMN IT!

I, like Mr RND--, tried Unity 4.1.5, found this thread and then that dreaded link to unity's bug control system at fogbuzz and thougt "well, wait for next release". Now, with 4.2.0, same issue... And just to find out it actually had a nice clean solution even back then!!

I hate forums!!! And I hate Silviu for not disclosing the issue properly!

And I hate GTK# 2.12.10 (which is updated to the latest already) for being installed in my system for unknown reasons! I uninstalled it and MonoDevelop suddenly worked! All I had installed in the same date, according to windows uninstall app, was a bunch of Microsoft tools, including an SDK. 2 years ago. Really weird stuff.

I've made an answer on this to properly help others! ;-)

As for sonicviz...

I just gave it all those details here so maybe you stop getting annoyed if "people don't demonstrate they have bothered to read what others have written already". I did read, but nobody can read it all, all the time. Forums just make reading all the more confusing and that's the truly annoying part. I missed the working solution by a tiny bit in the first time I read this thread - and everyone else here failed to notify me about it. This would never happen in a Q&A site!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013