Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HNLPPPP: A 2D Action/Puzzle Game with a Superhero Theme!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Malclay, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Malclay

Malclay

Hello fellow Unity users!

My name is Malcolm Clay and I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'd like to tell you all about this little side project my friend and I have been working on part time for about a year now. It's called Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy! It's an action/puzzle game in the same vein as Puyopuyo/Puzzle Fighter/Puzzle Kombat but with a superhero theme!

$cover_11.png

$Game13.png

We're based out of Montreal, Canada and have recently showed the game off at an IGDA organized Demo Night! http://heroesneverlose.com/2013/01/23/igda-demo-night-pictures/

The game is still very much a WIP but we're hard at work updating the art and adding characters! Here's a gameplay video of what we have so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHq8ZKItBJI.

For more info, please see http://heroesneverlose.com if you're shy, or ask me here directly if you're not!

Thank you for your time and feedback :)

Malcolm

Attached Files:

2. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

I really liked puzzle fighter back in Playstation 1 days. That was a really fun game.

3. Malclay

Malclay

I'm a big fan as well :D Obviously it was one of the inspirations for Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy

4. BigPawGames

BigPawGames

This looks like a great game! Pretty exciting, I just watched the video, looks very well done, even at its stage ^^ Keep going guys, love it!

5. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

Have sent you a pm about a possible Touch Arcade review... So check ya inbox :)

Looking AWESOME!

6. Malclay

Malclay

Thank you very much for your kind words! They really mean a lot to us :D

7. Malclay

Malclay

Thank you POLYGAMe! Replied :)

8. Malclay

Malclay

Just thought I'd share some of Gnat-Man's anims as well as a "making of" video of his sprite work :)

9. Ninety_

Ninety_

Looks great so far! Can I ask what program are you using for animations?

10. Malclay

Malclay

Hello StewartB!

Thank you for the kind words!

Actually, I'm not sure. I'm not the animator, that would be my friend Francis: http://www.frankiesmileshow.com/

I can ask him for you :)

11. Ninety_

Ninety_

Cheers. As a hobbyist pixel artist myself (and a current Pixen user) I'm interested in what you're using.

12. Malclay

Malclay

I'm REALLY Sorry about the late answer, I was convinced that I had already answered you.

The software in question is: http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

13. Malclay

Malclay

Here are some anims of a second character: Brainfreeze

14. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

Amazing spritework as usual!

I was just thinking about this game the other day actually, how's development going?

15. Malclay

Malclay

Thank you!

Well we're working on this part time, so it's going expectantly slow, but the good news is that it's very steady! We're putting the finishing touches on the 4th character and the second stage is done as well :D I'll post more art-work in not too long :)

16. PeterG

PeterG

It's looking great! I emailed ya' asking a couple questions. :)

17. Malclay

Malclay

Thank you Peter! Answered ;)

18. Maklaud

Maklaud

This looks really great! I like the animations.
    How many heroes are you planning to have?

19. Malclay

Malclay

Hello Maklaud!

Well the quick answer is "At least 9". The long answer is that we have designs for 21 characters and we're planning a Kickstarter at some point in the future. How many characters will depend on how much $$$ we raise :)

Here are 8 of the 9:

$pixel-poster_02.png

20. Malclay

Malclay

I thought I'd post some of the steps Stephane Boutin went through making our background stages. You might recognize Stephane's art from such games as Scott Pilgrim vs The World and Mercenary Kings.

We had asked Stephane for a street-level stage to flesh out the city of Megalopolis. Choosing the Bank as the setting was his idea.

$Megalopolis_Test01.jpg

This was the first concept of the stage and, needless to say, we were sold on it right away.

$Megalopolis_Test02.png

The scene takes better shape as the cops and robbers are added. A furious bank manager looks on.

$Megalopolis_Test03.png

The grayed-out stage is complete! But we proposed a different perspective to make the stage feel more dynamic.

$Megalopolis_Test03_retake.png

Voila, all of the elements are in place, all that was missing is the colors, a few details, and to make it come to life...

$Megalopolis_Animated.gif

And Stephane delivers in his trademark way! The stage is complete and ready to be integrated... all but the street name. Now why would we go and leave that blank? ;)

21. Pastywhite

Pastywhite

Excellent art and animation. I really miss these types of games so I'm glad you're making a new one. Puzzle Fighter and Baku Baku Animal were some of my favorite games when they came out.

22. Malclay

Malclay

Thank you very much Pastywhite! I'm quickly becoming a connoisseur on the genre ;) You might want to check out Puzzle Kombat and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in the meantime!

23. Odorias

Odorias

24. georetro

georetro

My god, this pixel art is absolutely mind blowing and just damn right fantastic. I am loving every aspect of this game and it just looks so professional! Really well done :)

25. Odorias

Odorias

Thank you very much for the kind words Georetro :D

26. Odorias

Odorias

Since the Making of: Bank of Megalopolis Stage post was so popular, I thought it would be cool to show you all the awesome work Stephane Boutin did on the Boxtech Rootfop background stage!

For this stage, we wanted to show a Megalopolis from a different point of view, so why not from up high?

Stephane nailed it on the first sketch. Every element was just what we wanted and just where we wanted it! All that was left to do was clean it up a little.

The grayed-out stage is complete! Stephane then added color...

And just like that the scene comes alive!

For the perceptive, there are 4 characters in the background (not counting the audience to the fight). Stay tuned to find out who they are and how they play into all of this...

Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoyed this second heroic portrayal of an artist’s endeavors!

27. Odorias

Odorias

28. Odorias

Odorias

29. Odorias

Odorias

Glam, the Pink Avenger is Phil's own creation! There's a lot more to her than meets the eye and we're really hoping to be able to tell her story in our game!

30. Odorias

Odorias

We've also just recently revealed the main protagonist for our game, Professor Puzzler himself!

31. Odorias

Odorias

Hey guys!

Check out the animations of our newest playable character: Firestarter. Made by Tyriq Plummer!

32. marcos

marcos

So awesome! Keen to see more :)

33. Odorias

Odorias

34. Odorias

Odorias

Megalopolis' nutty bounty hunter, Gun Nut, is on the prowl for vigilantes and villains alike, and now he's ready to be integrated into the game! Feast your eyes and these lovely animations by Tyriq Plummer of Catacomb Kids' fame!

GarBenjamin likes this.
  35. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Excellent pixel art animations with good detail. Like the lighting on the upward gun fire animation. Looking good!

36. Odorias

Odorias

37. Odorias

Odorias

Thank you Garenjamin for the kind words!

38. Odorias

Odorias

First look at playable Gun Nut!

Obviously the nut blocks are placeholder ;)