Search Unity

Specular Map in a BumpedSpecular shader?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by garyhaus, Feb 25, 2009.

1. garyhaus

garyhaus

Anybody have a shader for this? Maybe I missed it somewhere? Really need to be able to map the specular channel of the shader with a texture map. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Gary

2. purplelilgirl

purplelilgirl

3. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I'm confused. How does the Bumped Specular shader that ships with Unity not meet your needs here?

4. garyhaus

garyhaus

I missed that BumpColorSpec shader on the wiki. Thank you. Works perfectly!

The standard Bumped Specular does NOT have a specular channel that I can insert a specular map into. In other words I want to vary the specularity on the surface by having areas more shiny than others. The default shader has specular but it is only color and shininess. Does that make sense?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

As far as I remember, indeed it has that supports, it just works efficientely (and the common way it is done) by using the alpha channel for it which has otherwise no purpose.

using distinct maps and that way 4 unused color channels in total is a great way to waste rendering performance :)

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

No, it's like what dreamora said. And in the documentation

isteveee likes this.
  7. garyhaus

garyhaus

Thanks everybody. I understand that now.

Gary

8. Khyrid

Khyrid

Useful side note. Unity doesn't use the alpha for specular mapping with Targa files, but it works with TIFFs.

9. trentdk

trentdk

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how would one go about taking a diffuse texture and edit the alpha levels of it for Bumped Specular shader?

Example: I have a PSD file that I'm using as the diffuse map. Would I just open it up in Photoshop and start messing around with opacity of parts that I want to respond to shininess? Would I leave the layer underneath black, or fill it in with white or black?

10. blitzen

blitzen

Selecting the texture in the Project panel, there is an "Alpha from Grayscale" checkbox in the inspector.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  11. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Having the same problem. I'm not to familiar with channels.

I've checked Alpha from Grayscale but it just makes everything a little shiny.

I'd like to have only the skin shiny, and the cloth not.

Any tips?

12. CognizanCe

CognizanCe

How do I get BumpColorSpec shader to install/work?

13. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

14. dratsum

dratsum

The best way to do this (the way to get the best results anyway) is to create a new Photoshop (or whichever image editor you use) file - or better yet, a new layer group - and create your custom spec map there. When done, copy it (copy merged) and paste it into the alpha channel of your diffuse map.

15. isteveee

isteveee

Thx a lot for that answer for there's no more struggles for me, I'm using alphas now ^^