Search Unity

Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by monkeyscience, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Look in the Marmoset->Beta shader category

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I don't have that category for some reason :/

3. Tzabbur

Tzabbur

Hello again, thanks for your answer.
    The problem is not the CPU threads options, i´ve tried with "auto" or manualy choosing. I´ve got 4 cores so i can use 8 threads if i left the computer working alone.
    First i was using some tweaked options but finaly i tested with the default options "High quality" or "low quality" and the result is the same.
    Whenever i use the ibl emit lights option with the diffuse activated, begins using all the threads available in the "baking texture" process. its ok. but when the GI calculations step arrives, suddenly only one thread is used and the processing times grow exponential. (i tried 2 days and half and not finished) The problem appears only with the difusse calculation. If i uncheck difusse but check shadow or specular the is no problem, ad the calculations finish in a few minutes. Even if nothing is checked works fine.
    Of course in other lighting solutions you can select (skylight or none), there is no problem and everything works as should.
    Could it be that in this exact configuration skyshop or beast is using GPU instead the CPU for calculations.
    Thank you very much.

4. kilik128

kilik128

About terrain shader again anyone get normal map on basic mesh

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Monkeyscience, I got the new version imported... HOLY SMOKES the new shaders are MASSIVE... playing with the skin.

6. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Transparent Shader with Shadows

Hi MonkeyScience,

Firstly many congrats on this awesome package :)

I am currently using this shader which looks great

"Marmoset/Mobile/Transparent/Specular IBL"

…however it does not produce any shadows.

After hunting around I found this simple shader which kind of does what I am after:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/285847/transparency-shader-that-allows-shadows.html

but obviously it uses no Marmoset.

So is it possible to amend the above Marmoset shader to cast shadows at all? or is there anything else you might recommend?

Cheers

Nalin

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys for those of you who need to make translucency maps for the skin shader, this image should help you... this is created using an inverted normals tricks that I saw done by developers from DICE... if you plug is this into your shader, this should work decently... It will require some editing but it works. You also have to inverted the colors in the baking tools you will use. So bright areas should be coloured black, and dark areas a nice grey tone. I have also noticed that with particular shader, you need a LITTLE bit of diffuse intensity, otherwise the skin will remain dark and light probes don't work on it. I tried to do the scene with full IBL and it would not work for the SH shaders. $DepthMapforSkin.jpg Will you include normal blending for future updates?

And here is the site I got my info on the inverted AO method.

http://colinbarrebrisebois.com/category/subsurface-scattering/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  8. LarryGary

LarryGary

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I was looking art Knald but I would a have to bake out my normal map first from my high poly sources

10. LarryGary

LarryGary

Load a flat 127,127,255 normal map at the desired resolution and you can get a translucency bake from the lowpoly without a baked nm in Knald. I don't know how the quality compares to the inverted AO thing, but it renders in literally just a few seconds.

Though not exactly sure why you would not have a baked normal map in the first place?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sorry, I misread. I already have a normal map baked for my model. But certain parts of the character is skin, and the pieces needed for the skin had to be separate. Could you show an example of a depth map made in Knald? I'm not in front of my computer right now.

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just tested out Knald for transmission mapping, and HOLY SMOKES it's fast, but it creates a map that I can't even use :( it comes out very messy :(

13. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

Hi There,

I am experimenting with the terrain shaders, alto the look good i get these warning :
    "Shader wants tangents, but the mesh doesn't have them" (unity 4.2) any idea how to get rid of them ?

[Edit]
    In the Marmoset Terrain Add Pass.shader
    uncomment "#define MARMO_NORMALMAP" seems to help....

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... after playing with this, I am rather impressed with the way the shader is performing... the skin looks a bit softer and more natural... I kinda wish though I could have some sort of normal blending which would make the skin even softer... and it works VERY well with Light Probes too... check it out.

NOTE: The model on the left is not complete... the arm needs a depth map.

$MarmosetSkyshopSKin.png

15. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This is a harmless warning. Unity terrain meshes don't have tangents, a per-vertex attribute required for normal-mapping, so I generate the tangents in the shader itself. Unity still warns you about it because it does not know any better.

I'm not sure how enabling normal-mapping in the additive pass is resolving the problem. More likely, the warning is coming from "Marmoset Terrain Specular" or "Diffuse" and you're only seeing it when the shader gets recompiled.

16. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

>> Skin Shader Tutorial is Live! <<

Read all about setting up and creating content for Skyshop's IBL skin shader.

To compliment this fine document I've also set up a >> web-player demo << Illustrating direct and image-based lighting, shadowing, and interaction with Unity's light probes.

17. kilik128

kilik128

need fake skin for mobile now

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Great tutorial Monkeyscience... I spent a great deal today playing around with the shaders and learned a lot... Now trying to make it look REALLY soft.

19. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Most Useful Tips and Tutorial:)

20. Spartan_Boy

Spartan_Boy

+1 for tips and tutorials on 1.05, updated to 1.05 seems gorgeous and promissing but a bit distabilizing on using beast extended with skyshop at first glance, have to dig into it...

21. SteveB

SteveB

I believe this was asked pages ago but never addressed...

...Toolbag makes a note in it's Features that it has Physically Based materials. Is this going to be the case with Skyshop in the near future?

Good stuff guys, thank you!

-Steven

EDIT: Found where it was asked...Page 52 near the top from SeanM3D. Could you share that information here? :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  22. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Just picked up 1.5, and every time I try to play a scene I created it locks up Unity 4.3.1. I've tried creating a new project as well.

Im using the museum HDR, created new cubemaps, computed the scene at low quality, adding the Sky to the scene, and created a new material for my sphere and chose a Marmoset shader. I can see the skybox in both the scene and Game view, and when I hit play it freezes up Unity.

I've tried this a few times as well as re-importing the asset from the store multiple times with little avail. Also importing the asset seems to take about 10 minutes or so, not sure if it should take that long. Most assets import in under 30 seconds.

I'm running Windows 8.1, an Intel Quadcore 3.4 gHz processor, 16GB RAM, and a Nvidia GeForce 650 Ti.

Any solutions? Thanks.

23. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I even reinstalled Unity, re-imported the asset as well as updated my video card drives and still Unity locks up. Here is my test scene in which I took a screenshot prior to crashing. I forgot to add the shader to the sphere, but still it shouldn't have that issue.

Also I am able to use your example scenes and play them fine, as well as you those and delete all the assets except for the sky and add my own. So it looks like there might be a bug with your Sky generator.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  24. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Where is this museum HDR, that looks COOL as hell :)

25. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

It's in the panorama folder, within the examples.zip file.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks

27. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

That is definitely a bug. It seems if you have a big texture in the "Input Panorama" field and press play, Unity hangs, probably trying to serialize a huge array of data.

I will look into it for the next release. As a work-around, clear the input panorama field before pressing play.

28. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

You are correct, that is a temporary solution. Thanks.

If I may make a request as your refine the skin shader; I would love to see a tessellated skin shader that's distance based please!

29. cl-apps

cl-apps

I have a question on colour space. According to the documents for Unity Linear colour space is not supported on iOS / mobile platforms.

However when you select the Sky object and uncheck the detect colour space box and select Linear it lights the models better both in the editor and on the device.

Is there an exception going on with Skyshop that this works or is it an unintended accident that looks quite good in practice?

Thought i'd ask the developers since I'm happy with the results but confused by them at the same time.

30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

If Linear Lighting works on Mobile, let's call it a happy accident. :)

31. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Monkeyscience, I am testing out the Box projection mapping and while it looks awesome, is it suppose to move when the camera does? It looks awesome, but it looks weird to me :/. And also when I move the camera to the right or left, it looks like it is mipmapping... I am testing this on a flat plane... here is a picture of what is going on...

$boxprojectionat0.png $boxprojectionat2.png

That is definitely strange, even though it is a beta :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  32. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

Hi Monkeyscience,

why is there a leakage in the skyshop? my system is 4.3.0
    there are 24 warnings in the skyshop editor... can i delete em b4 compiling my app?

33. castor76

castor76

did you upgrade your skyshop version to 1.05?

34. Ravenoak

Ravenoak

Hey MS,

I've been playing around with the skin shader beta and noticed a couple of things that appear to be some sort of bugs, or a lack of understanding on my part... Someone may have posted about it, but not that I saw.

Anyway, it seems like specular intensity works in a reversed way. Negative values give me the expected result of going more and more specular, while positive values make the model darker. I think it's the same with the specular map itself.
    The same goes for the subdermis color - whether it's using the color box or a texture map, the values on the model are inverted. A reddish map will appear blueish, so if I want to get my actual map to show, I gotta invert my texture.

Third, it looks as if the skin shader specifically doesn't interact well with the specular channel of the sky when in HDR mode. When I switch my sky's spec to LDR, the skin looks much better, but everything else is worse.

Those are the things I notice...

I also have a question - if I use the skin shader on a mobile device, as it is today, what results can I expect?

Thanks for an awesome pack of shaders!

35. cl-apps

cl-apps

Is Skyshop terrain compatible with iOS? I have tried it and the simple terrain shader works but the texture goes all blurry like it's being stretched. Works fine in desktop mode.

36. AlecMoody

AlecMoody

All skyshop shaders:

37. SteveB

SteveB

38. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is SLICK... and I love the room too... great stuff... I still haven't figured out how to do the box projection stuff... does the room have to be one material for this to work right?

40. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

You probably forgot to set a sky and add a dimension. Check the beta txt in the documentation folder. It works excellent :)

41. SteveB

SteveB

Beautiful Florian.

If I may ask, which post fx are you using (in both scenes)?

Cheers

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I did all of that... I set a sky and add a dimension...

EDIT: Didn't edit the scale :) This is f'n INCREDIBLE

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  43. omarzonex

omarzonex

this is Designer Developer SSS-Skin Human Z

worked it :
    Daz
    Photoshop CS5
    Unity3D with Shader SSS-SKIN
    + Tessellation Shaders
    but without Skyshop

Coming Soooon Worked Skyshop

Manual First Dev Human Tech.(New Working Developer)

by Omar Farhaneh

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  44. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

@Neptune. Hmm. No idea. Instead of the given hdr, try a small scenario like I did with the room. Would be hard to tell, if it behaves correct, if there is no context.
    Btw...the room uses 4 materials

Pretty much all :D
    I'm using bloom with two scales. Strong Vignette, tons of chromatic aberration. Grafient curves and a ramp might be a no brainer but I switched a lot between linear and gamma and its a fast way to compensate the differences.

45. SteveB

SteveB

Yea you have a good eye for balancing the image quality. I of course got the Vignetting and blurs, and the fisheye I noticed but wasn't positive, but your use of Tonemapping and Color Correction is excellent!

Very much appreciated man :D

-Steven

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just tested this out on a small plane... what a BEAUTIFUL THING Marmoset has brought to us :)

47. SteveB

SteveB

You know the rules Neptune! Pics or nothing!! Haha :D

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

LMAO, I wouldn't leave you guys hanging like that... here is a quick test of the box projection on a plane $MarmosetSkyshopBoxProjection.png ...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  49. omarzonex

omarzonex

WoW

Reality Strange Rooooooom

very nice skyshop furture

50. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

@ FlorianSchmoldt, could I please ask what material did you use to make the wet floor? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.