Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to start using Unity iOS... Not sure where to start!

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Crawf, May 30, 2013.

1. Crawf

Crawf

I' just looking for some guidance really, currently own a Macbook Air and have Unity downloaded. I also purchased the book for Unity iOS by Jeff W Murray, so I feel I am nearly good to go. Is it best to get my apple developer licence sooner rather than later? Will i need it for the learning process i.e. making mock games /following tutorials?

Also the programming side of the spectrum (eek) is a scary thought, I really have no clue where to start here and looking for advice as I don't really want to be wasting any time gaining the wrong knowledge.

I am planning to create my game design document over the summer, don't plan for this game to be anywhere near release of course, 4+ years at least!

Any help much appreciated, apologise for the grammar, typing this on my iPhone!

Crawf

2. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Hey Crawf,

For me the best resource for learning Unity and anything else related to game development is 3D Buzz. www.3dbuzz.com

There are some excellent resources on the asset store to get you on your way. Some are free, most are fairly inexpensive. Some of my favorites are as follows;

Playmaker
    Finger Gestures
    Easy Touch
    NGUI
    FastGUI (Requires Photoshop)

As for when to get the iOS developer license I would say sooner rather then later. Testing on iOS devices is crucial and is part of the learning process.

Just my 2cent's. :)

Vern

Edit: also look at www.blender.org for 3D asset development and www.gimp.org for 2D asset development

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. VeeBeeMee

VeeBeeMee

Whether your building for the web or ios, the concept is basicly the same.

If you spend 100$ right now for a apple licence it's good for a year, now of that year how much time will it take to learn unity, and to program.

Yes the licence allows you to upload your ios device onto your account and beable to deply to your own ios device, but for a starting point I would suggest downloadloading Unity Remote, which is a free ios app that allows you to wirelessly play your game on ur device. While it doesn't give you the exact feel because of the graphics it is still a good tool.

4. goat

goat

Hmmm, I've been a programmer in C/C++ with just lazy by example google teaching myself of C# but based on the number of questions regarding C# / JS / and so on I'd start with this book 1st:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Vis...1369956903&sr=8-2&keywords=C#+Microsoft+Press

Buy the Apple Dev license, later, after you have tested game and ready to publish; but only if you can still test on your iOS device(s) without a dev license. No sure what current policy is as it used to be you couldn't get xCode without a dev license.

5. Tiggster

Tiggster

An Apple Developer membership is required to deploy anything to an iOS device, including Unity3D games.

6. DexRobinson

DexRobinson

Start in PC/Mac area first, not on iOS, sorry. There is a lot to get things up and running that can be scary for new people. I would suggest making PC/Mac projects until you can navigate yourself through Unity. With mobile your going to run into a lot of weird complications that you wouldn't get in the Desktop side of it. Then your going to have to figure out how to build to the device, setup your iTunes account, and learn to optimize your project before you ever understand how to actually make something work. Also to build to mobile you have to spend more money on licences that aren't worth it if you're not going to publish anything since you have to renew each year.

I wouldn't recommend tools either to start out with if you're going to school for programming since they will make you dependent on them and then you won't understand how to actually write code for yourself.