Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

It's "Unity" Not "Unity3D"...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveJ, May 29, 2013.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

It's what happens to us with age... the grumpiness kicks in :)

My wife thinks I'm going to turn into one of those guys that chases the local neighborhood kids off the lawn with my walking stick. To which I always reply "That will never happen dear. We live in an apartment; we don't have a lawn"...

2. Kinos141

Kinos141

Unity is a real word, and will cause confusion with the masses. Hell, when I search Unity, I get everything BUT the game engine... even Queen Latifah's UNITY.

And even, the website says Unity3D, so wtf.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. orb

orb

It's not. If you're logged in and haven't changed Google settings, you get personalised results. The combinations of results you get change over time.

Of course people will be loose with what they call a product in a written context. People aren't particularly good at typing, spelling, grammar OR fact-checking, as any quick glance at the Internet should prove ;)

4. goat

goat

I stay logged into google and even though I say don't save my search terms they do because a search for 'Unity' shows Unity 3D links for the first page and on. Previously I'd get Cisco Unity as the number one result because those sys admins make a very good salary, not that most don't but enterprise Unix and PBX OS admins do comparatively nice.

Google used to have a setting that you could filter out 'personal weighting' in their search engine bias.

5. The Ghost

The Ghost

Most of the times I don't even search up unity, I'll just type something like 'how to access variables from another script' and the top results are unity answers, sometimes the forums, then other gamedev sites near the bottom.

6. goat

goat

That's mostly due to Google tracking your activity. Wish they were so good on non-coding related searches. They are next to useless for shopping anymore.

7. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. Jake-L

Jake-L

*popcorn*

9. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

Not as simple as that. I used to call Unity just "Unity", but then moved to using "Unity3D", especially in short conversations or bios, because that way people immediately know what you're talking about. Otherwise you have to say "I'm a Unity developer, and with this I mean Unity the game engine, not the Linux thing or else". And no, saying simply "Unity game developer" wouldn't work, because a lot of people use Unity for other things other than games :p

11. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

It was relevant to me. @OP - Thanks for posting.

Gigi

12. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Mmm.... thin-cut ribeye, with mushrooms onions, sauteed in butter... BRB food.
    Gigi

13. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

Why not buy unity.com from unity microelectronics?

14. Demigiant

Demigiant

Mhmm that website exists since 1995: I don't think they'll be willing to sell it :p

15. lee2

lee2

Unity might be the first page that pops up cause it's the most common thing I search on this computer, but there are a number of times when a general Unity search gives Cisco Unity links or Ubuntu, or religious institutions.

When talking to people in person I usually have to say "Unity game engine" as many people who aren't developers have never heard of it.

16. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Not only that, it only amplifies when you're looking for C# and Unity programming examples. If you're searching for specific topics then it's not bad, but if you're getting started and want to see what people are doing with it, or creative things people have done, then it gets more difficult. For example:

"unity c#" - This will get you the proper results, but they will also be mixed with a lot of results about the dependency injection framework Unity so there is more to wade through.

"unity3d c#" - This will get you pretty much 100% relevant results and the inclusion of the "3d" will also get you a ton of results on official resources since the domain is unity3d.com

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Why would you search for "unity c#", though? That's way too broad even if all the results were about the Unity engine.

--Eric

18. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

You might be searching for "unity c# tutorial" if you're new to Unity. I did when I first started. I've been a C# developer for quite some time but knew nothing about it in the context of Unity. Similarly, I like to look at Unity videos on YouTube, not only for tutorials but to see the kind of work people are doing. Searching "Unity3d" instead of just "Unity" again will yield you much better results.

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

P.S. just realized another thing. Unity Technologies twitter name is, guess what: @unity3d :D So again, it's complicated :p