Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Wet Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Grespon, May 28, 2013.

1. Grespon

Grespon

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hmm... any information on how customizable it is? Other screenshots?

3. Grespon

Grespon

A new WebDemo is up and running.

It's now possible to change the parameters and test some of the shader aspects. Press left CTRL to release the mouse.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  4. Grespon

Grespon

Some more screenshots:
    $m4ez.jpg
    $bblo.jpg

5. virror

virror

Looks really good!

6. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks pretty nice. So how fast is this on mobile? How many drawcalls?

7. Grespon

Grespon

I didn't test on mobile yet. I'm fixing a problem with the reflecion orientation first.

8. tripknotix

tripknotix

im also interested in if it works for mobile, there was a similiar product on the asset store, but youve got a great price worth buying if it does work on mobile.

9. Grespon

Grespon

As soon as I fix the reflection issue, I'll be testing with some android phones and iPhone 4S.

10. Grespon

Grespon

There's a limitation with Wet Shades. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a solution for this:
    Cubemap reflections work fine if you don't rotate the object (Y must be = 0). This is caused because shaders have limited 'internal parameters'. Cubemap reflections need object's position and this is too much data if we also want puddle's distortion effects.

The best solution I can imagine so far is to create the cubemaps following the object's rotation.

Resuming:

For now objects must have rotation.y = 0 or the cubemaps must be made considering the object's rotation.
    If you want it the simple way, with no puddle distortion, and free ground rotation with coerent reflection, I'll put this shader in a next version.

11. Sashimi_2

Sashimi_2

I would happily purchase it for 5 bucks, but the web demo is not working, can you check your link etc please?

12. Grespon

Grespon

Ok. Fixed the demo now.

13. Meltdown

Meltdown

How do you set this up?
    I'm trying this on Unity 4 and I dragged the WetGround prefab into my scene.Yet the plane is just black. It has no water/wet effect whatsoever.

Can you please point me to a tutorial on how to set it up correctly?
    I have my project setup as DX11 for PC Standalone build.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  14. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Meltdown,
    You're right. I'm sorry. I've just tested with DX11 and it's really not working. I'll try to fix it and release an update, ok?

EDIT: Meltdown, I think I fixed. PM me with your email if you want me to send it to u before I release the update(it can take some days).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  15. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi Grespon, love the demo! I also am not sure how I set this up. Do you think you could include the demo scene in the next update?

16. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Eyehawk,
    Ok, I'll make some demo scene to the next update.

17. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Great thanks Grespon:p

18. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

this looks like a good and cheap asset, may come in handy. I use a virtual sky model (UniStorm) and was wondering if it is possible to script your asset to work with this great asset?

19. Grespon

Grespon

I know nothing about UniStorm, but Wet Shaders can be used in any mesh, so I think it's gonna be ok. Just keep in mind you need a CubeMap for reflections.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  20. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Hello.

I purchased the asset a while ago. I would like to know if the dx11 update is included in the current version. If not can you send me the fix that was mentioned in an earlier post? Thanks

21. Grespon

Grespon

Hi SuperNewbee,
    I thought it was included. Isn't it working?

I'll check today when I get back home, and send you the fix, ok?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  22. Hotsun

Hotsun

Hi,
    Did you update the DX11 version?
    Or I should buy the DX9 version first and ask for DX11 by Email?

23. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Purchased and Pleased

24. Grespon

Grespon

Hi,
    Sorry. I'm completely rewriting all the shaders. That's why I still didn't update.
    I can send DX11 version by email.

25. Grespon

Grespon

Thanks! :)

26. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

Hello!

Sorry, but how do I do the setup?
    Help, please!

27. Grespon

Grespon

Hi, Firulains,
    I still haven't time to make a tutorial, but I think it's quite easy. You just need :
    - a texture for your object,
    - a bumpmap,
    - a texture for the wetmap (where the brighter, the wetter).
    - a DistortionMap (The brighter, more distorted)
    - a cubemap for the reflection slot.

After that you apply Animate.js to animate the distortion, and adjust Specular and Gloss.

If you still need help, call me back.

Arkade likes this.
  28. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

Hello!
    Sorry, I'm new in this, but can you telm me how is the procedure?
    Thank you!

29. Grespon

Grespon

Well,
    I forgot to tell: Put some Directional light (or any light set to 'important') in the scene or you're not gonna see any lighting effect.

since your new, try first dragging the WetGround.prefab to the scene and try to understand how it's set.

Basically it's a plane with a material on it. When you have a material, you can apply a shader, which will be the "painting process". Each shader has different inputs. You can see it in the inspector.

30. WGermany

WGermany

I dont think its working on DX11 yet I just get black shaded on the object. I followed all the steps above still no luck.

EDIT: Also, only if you don't mind could you make it open source? The main reason I bought it was to learn from it but I understand if you can't.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  31. Grespon

Grespon

Hi,
    I'm really sorry. I still didn't update it. The next version will support DX11 and wil probably be open source. If you need Dx11 by now, PM me with your email and I send it to you. But I'm completely rewriting the shaders. Current version has some limitations, for example, if you rotate the object, the reflection rotates along with it. I couldn't be easily fixed due to a kind of calc limitations of shader language.

It can take a while untill the next version, because I'm not having much time to work with Unity, and I also have Easy Water to give support.

32. WGermany

WGermany

Oh no its fine, take your time. This is all just one huge learning experience for me. I am not developing a game just doing research on graphics in Unity.

33. ev3d

ev3d

any updates about mobile? maybe a mobile version?

34. Grespon

Grespon

Yeah.. I have plans, plenty of ideas.. mobile is always a must. What I'm lacking is some free time to work on it... I hope I can do it this year yet.

35. Hotsun

Hotsun

I was working on a shader for one of my games (called Predecessors) which includes a rainy scene and required both wet shader and displacement tessellation shader combined together with realtime reflection,actually I did it but there is still lack of some features,for example all of my material become wet and just some places are more wet.
    Here is a screenshot:
    $Predecessors_Advanced_Reflective_Tessellation_shader_1.jpg

As you are more experienced at wet shaders I think you can do it better than me,So I am really waiting for a Tessellated wet shader even if you I have to wait another month and even if you raise the value I think it does worth.

36. ronaldosilva

ronaldosilva

Hi! I 've just purchased the package, but I can't make it work. I have a Unity Pro License, and I tried to setup a scene with the shaders and it just don't work. The surface is all dark and nothing happens. Can you help me? Thanks!

37. ronaldosilva

ronaldosilva

Nah. It turned out to be the Direct X 11 Setup. =/

38. Grespon

Grespon

For all of you having troubles with DirectX 11, I already uploaded a new version with sources. This will let Unity compile to DirectX 11 and other platforms like PS3, Xbox, etc..

I'm also finally fixing the reflection-rotating-with-the-object issue. That was the main obstacle for me to improve the asset. Now I can work on it to add more options and features!

I apologize for all this time without updating the asset, I'm just a hobbyist with a day time job and 3 assets to take care in the free time...

Thanks !

39. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Hotsun, I never study tesselation yet.. I have no idea how much time I will spend doing this.. But its a nice idea.. I just can't promise anything..

40. Grespon

Grespon

New version now includes sources.
    I also sent a new one with more features, including colored puddles :)

$Captura de Tela 2014-01-07 às 23.13.55.png

41. Hotsun

Hotsun

Hi,
    I really wanted to send my shader to you,unfortunately I can't because I don't have the permission from the studio I am working in but you just included the source which can help us a lot,I think we can now complete our shader with your features.

Thanks a lot.

42. Grespon

Grespon

Hi people,
    Unfortunatly, I forgot to add a script in the last version. I already submitted a correction at January 7th. Please allow some time to the new version (1.12) to be approved. Sorry !

Version 1.12 comes with more features btw !

And it's gonna be more expensive, so If you want to save 5 bucks you better get version 1.1 :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  43. olivier-etienne

olivier-etienne

Hello, just purchased your asset yesterday, and I think the result is very convincing.
    Thanks for making that available specially with the source.
    Would you mind including the example scene provided in the demo?

44. Grespon

Grespon

Hi, Oliver, Thank you!

The demo scene contains some Unity PRO features, like the gloom effects, so I'm not going to include it. But I'll be making another demo scene which I can can include in the near future.

45. olivier-etienne

olivier-etienne

Hello and thank you for your reply, I don't think the Pro effect encounter for the overall success of the demo, your shader do as
    it really spice up the environment.
    Just include some objects with reflection, sky and the running script they all contribute nicely to the scene.
    Thanks again for considering my request.

46. Grespon

Grespon

I uploaded a new version, with a simple demo scene and a small guide. I hope it helps. When I have more time I can make a better documentation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  47. adsantos

adsantos

How I apply it on Unity terrain? I'm trying to simulate a wet floor during a storm.

By the way beautiful work, congratulations.

48. Grespon

Grespon

Thanks for supporting!
    Unity's terrain use its own shaders. I'm not sure if it's possible to apply a different shader to it. However there's an article that may help you with that:
    http://alastaira.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/custom-unity-terrain-material-shaders/

If it's not possible, you'll have to use a different game object to apply the wet shader..

49. Meltdown

Meltdown

How do I make the rest of the texture transparent? I only want the wet parts to show.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  50. Grespon

Grespon

I tried to make a transparent option but I couldn't. The lighting effect that makes the wet look needs an opaque border. I'll try again anyway.