Search Unity

Daz3D Poser Morphs and automatic clothes wrapping

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SpookyCat, May 28, 2013.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Click the Image below for the WebPlayer Demo Page

About
    This is a video and a webplayer demo (Click the Image above for the webplayer) of a little Avatar or character customization demo we have put together to show the new Daz3D Poser direct morph import system extension to our MegaFiers system we are working on and to show the wrapping system in proper use. The main character is a Daz3D character that has been decimated to a lower poly count to make it more suitable for games, and then exported to an FBX and imported into Unity. Then using our new Daz3D to MegaFiers to connection you can just point the system at any directory that holds .dsf morph files for the character and the system will read in all the available morphs, you can then choose which of those you want to apply to your character and hit load. The system will automatically match the morphs to the Unity character regardless how much you have reduced the poly count from the original.

The clothes in the demo have no morphs at all they make use of the Wrapping system in MegaFiers so you just need to select any item you wish to fit your character, add the wrapping component and apply it, once applied the clothes or other items will conform to whatever morph the main character is performing so you need not worry about creating loads of morphs for your clothes etc. The items to be wrapped do not even need to be rigged to the bones to work.

We will be doing a video showing how this demo was put together and the workflow for the new Daz3D connection. And the webplayer demo of this will be uploaded shortly.

The flags in the demo are animated using the MegaFiers point cache system and the trees blowing in the wind are done using the Waving modifier.

Music: 'Soaring High' copyright © 2013 Grant Stevens - Under license from Varazuvi™ http://www.varazuvi.com

Video of the Demo

Work flow from Daz to Unity

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. vidi

vidi

Sorry english is not my language :oops:
    mean this Blender is not necessary more ?

I develop my own character with DAZ pro CCT .I do not use orginal DAZ figures but I use DAZ Studio pro for rigging and morphs creating. If I understand your posting right, I could use your megafiers now with a directly export from DAZ studio to Unity ?

if yes that is great, until now the only reason why I have not buy megafies is necessary blender or max for the export.

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It will be an extension to the MegaFiers system so that indeed you will not need Blender etc to get your Daz or Poser characters and morphs into Unity. The system will need a copy of MegaFiers installed to do the morphing side and wrapping, this system will be a bridge between MegaFiers and Daz. We hope to have the first release available early next week once some more testing has been done. Poser cr2 file support will follow soon after as an update.

4. vidi

vidi

Thank you !Sound great for me ! it will make my pipeline perfectly.:D

5. goat

goat

You still have to license DAZ models used in deriving the character (morphing and retexturing does not make the model your original under terms of DAZ licenses) unless you imported the meshes that you created yourself from Hexagon, Blender, or other 3rd party 3D Modeling app. The cost of a license is $500. You can ask DAZ directly for allowed content and terms.

Don't forget the Unity Avatar system is coming to Unity 4.2 in about a month. The MegaFiers does have other non-character generator uses too though.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. drewradley

drewradley

This looks pretty cool. Been looking for better options for changing outfits with my figures at runtime. Now, I export an entire outfit and then parent it to the corresponding body parts. Hopefully, this will make that process unnecessary.

Will this also work for lip sync morphs?

edit: @Goat you can also use a "Blank" rig (which is the figures' skeleton with no morphs or polygons attached to it). They made them so 3rd party developers could make clothes for their figures and can be redistributed freely. Doesn't really help much, but it's nice that you can use a premade skeleton on a figure.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  7. marcoantap

marcoantap

Looks awesome. One of the biggest problems using Daz3D models in games is that cloth overlaps with the body polygons, since it's separated. Does the plugin take care of this? Or is there a technique to avoid it?

8. drewradley

drewradley

There are numerous ways to fix poke through like that without needing this. Of course, like you I hope this fixes it so I don't have to use a work around! PM me if you want to know some of the methods I have experimented with. Don't want to hijack this thread.

9. goat

goat

That's super cool of DAZ. Sometimes I wonder how any of these companies make money.

10. vidi

vidi

I'm a passionate 3D Modeller and love to bring my modells to life:D

I wrote, I develop my own modells, of course that meaning mesh from scratch !;)

I think you do not know that DAZ Studio CCT is a Tool and has absolutly nothing to do with orginal DAZ figures .

CCT has professionals Bone,weight, and morphing tool. That mean also not only bone attaching (transfer utility tool)

You can rig, weight, grupping, and morph your own Mesh in DAZ in similar way how in a 3D Application , and store this in this DAZ or Poser file format or you can export as fbx.

I love to rigging in DAZ because the workflow is awesome for me .

Also I have no interest to use a Unity Avatar system. I like only to use my own modells .

I'm sure megafiers is now for me :D

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

A couple of params in the Wrapping system are 'Gap' and 'Shrink' the Gap value allows you to move the wrap mesh away from the main mesh a little if you are getting poking through of polys underneath, the Shrink value will attempt to conform the wrapped mesh more tightly to the base mesh. The amount of gap could be increased as a morph value is changed to get the best scenario.

12. goat

goat

Hmmm, I'll have to try DAZ myself after modeling a mesh in Blender with shapekeys I didn't think DAZ was easier based on limited trials but I'll give it a go now. Did you import your meshes as FBX files into DAZ?

13. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Nice looking demo Chris, this is just perfect for me, looking forward to trying this out.

14. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

This video shows the workflow of getting Daz3D characters and their clothing into Unity complete with morphs and with clothing that will deform along with the base mesh as it does in Daz.In this example we use FBX files and the megafiers exporter for Maya but Maya could be replaced with Max or Blender. The character in this demo has also been loaded into Mixamo to add an animation to it.

Video

15. ForceX

ForceX

I've been putting off buying MegaFiers for to long. When do you expect to release this piece if awesomeness and will it be separate in terms of purchasing? Can we use any mesh that uses blend shapes? Example I have my own character I designed and modeled much like daz I have morphs for gender and body styles. Using this plugin will my custom clothing after being rigged and weight mapped be able to take advantage of this tool in the same way the daz models are? Or does this just work with daz / poser?

16. Venged

Venged

This will help my project out. I'll buy Mega Fiers when this is released. Is there a ETA for the release?

17. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Venged - The functionality in the video and demo above is available now in MegaFiers

@ForceX - It has already been released it is part of the MegaFiers package now, you can wrap any mesh onto any other deforming mesh, it does not need to be a Daz or Poser character, it could be a simple bending cube or anything.

18. ForceX

ForceX

Thanks for the info. This is absolutely next on my list. The prospect of modeling once and being able to retarget with out having to recreate the blend shapes for every body style is going to be a huge time saver.

19. Venged

Venged

Thanks, so I can bring my Daz3D Character into Unity and use it just like in the video? Sorry for trying to clarify. It just seems too good to be true. I'm so glad I came to Unity and that you made this asset.

20. Venged

Venged

I just bought Mega-Fiers, Is there guide or video That shows how to do the Daz Export using Blender?

21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

MegaDaz
    MegaDaz has just been added to the Asset Store allowing for easy importing of Daz3D morphs to the morph system in MegaFiers. A video is below and more information can be found on our website at http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=4499 The system can be found on the Asset Store

About MegaDaz
    MegaDaz is an extension to the MegaFiers system (MegaFiers is required to be able to use this product) that allows for easy importing of Daz3D character morphs. You just need to load the original Daz base character file such as the Genesis dsf file, then after that all you need to do is select the folder with the morph files in and then pick and choose which morphs you want to use with your game character. You can easily update your selection or add new morphs as you purchase them from the Daz store. The system also works just as well with decimated Daz characters.

Normal Daz characters can have tens of thousands of vertices which can make them not ideal for games especially mobile games but MegaDaz allows the morphs to work just the same with heavily vertex reduced meshes, so in Daz you can use the decimator to reduce the vertex count to a few thousand vertices and the system will be able to load the morphs to that character easily. And don’t forget once you have your character in and morphing in Unity you can use the MegaFiers Wrap system to apply any Daz3D clothing or any other object to your character.

MegaDaz Workflow Video

22. Venged

Venged

I bought MegaDaz and it works great! It is big time saver to not have to go through Blender, Max, or Maya in between Daz and Unity.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  23. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

This looks really useful. Does this plugin have support for the animated joint centers used in, for example, some of the more extreme Genesis morphs like the troll? i.e. could you morph a character from the Genesis base to the troll character in Unity, and maintain the appropriate armature for each shape?

24. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It does not have support for such things, it is purely a means to get morphs into MegaFiers a bit easier especially for those who do have access to Max or Maya (Blender does not seem to like Daz fbx or collada files) I am not a Daz user so I do not have access to the different types of data out there, but I assume the troll character is like the child morph for the Genesis character. I could maybe at a later date try and figure out what Daz does regarding such a case and possible adjust bone positions, but would take a little time to do.

25. goat

goat

I was going to buy but the web player example is so slow, too slow to run on my Intel HD Graphics PC.

Can you republish a example with 1 directional light no shadows, like someone would do if publishing to most mobile devices?

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Arr yes that would be all the post effects going on. I will get a webplayer version with all those effects off. If you have an android device there is an App in the Google Play store that has a more 'normal' scene in the form of 7 heads deforming in various ways, each head has 15,000 verts and you can turn each head on and off by tapping and holding, and toggle the deformation on each just by a single tap, it gives a fps and timing value so you can see how it would perform.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013