Search Unity

Current hardware requiremetns for iOS development

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by eddyjohnson3, May 28, 2013.

1. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hi I have spent quite some time developing for Android now, and I am looking to expand to iOS. I know there is a requirements page and I understand all of that but still I want to be sure I am doing everything right here since there is a bit of investment required to develop for iOS, mainly regarding hardware.

I am planning to get:
    *) Mac mini : 2.3GHz (MD387Z/A) Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM Mac OS X Lion 10.8
    *) Apple iPad mini (3G (4G LTE), Wi-Fi, 16GB)

Are these devices enough for development/testing?

Mainly I am interested in porting my Unity Andrid games to iOS.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. Agent_007

Agent_007

Yes. I would also buy an iPod touch or iPhone, if the product is released for those.

3. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Is it possible to develop for multiple devices, if I only have one apple iOS device for testing? Obviously this is a normal practice for Android since you can't buy so many actual devices. I know it is recommended to have actual device, but I am not ready to invest so much in the very beginning at least.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yes it is possible. iPad can play back iPhone non retina games too.

but its naturally not optimal.
    You can also use the simulator to develop and do more focused tests

There is another thing missing in your list: $99/yr subscription from apple to be an ios developer

5. Lukas H

Lukas H

Its posible, I have two devices: an iPad2 and an iPod4. I don't support below those as they are just too low on performance anyway.

If you want to cover all iPhones/iPodTouches buy a iPod4. Its the equivalent of the iPhone4 (a little worse memory wise) but way cheaper then an iPhone4/5.

6. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Yes I am aware of the subscription fee. My main concern is about buying wrong type of Apple hardware. I just have no experience with those things and wanted to make sure I am good here. I only needed a low end Android phone and a Unity Android license to start Android development. It is a bit more complicated with iOS :)