Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

In Exilium - Ambient exploration meets top down rpg / hack'n slash

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ConfluxGames, May 21, 2013.

1. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Hi all,

In Exilium is a hack slash role playing game in the same vein as games like Diablo, yet focuses on minimalism, exploration and discovery as opposed to creating an expansive RPG experience. You play as a king who has been exiled to a strange, hostile world by an unknown force. There are no other characters and no quests to help you along the way. Only through exploration can you learn why you were exiled and how to return…

Vote for In Exilium on Steam Greenlight! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229273823

Gameplay Trailer:

Here are the latest development progress videos:

In Exilium is entering Beta on Desura, this video shows how to request access!

Multiplayer is functional! Check out how it will work here:

I post video updates every couple weeks or so here: http://www.youtube.com/ConfluxGames

Follow Development:
    http://www.twitter.com/ConfluxGames
    http://www.facebook.com/ConfluxGames
    http://www.confluxgames.com/forum

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and stay tuned for updates about the alpha demo :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Looks interesting! have a few questions though:

- Will the be a "survival aspect" in the game like hunting for food, gathering wood for a fire etc ?

- Is there going to be some kind of crafting in the game? Like some monsters/creatures drop some loot and you can combine different loots to get a weapon, or for example get feather from a chicken like create, chop some wood and craft yourself some arrows?

- Will the maps be larger than the one you've shown in the video? It looks rather small right now

- Are you planning on implementing building of some sort? (building a shed or house or maybe a whole castle?)

Anyway, keep up the good work :D

3. AustinK

AustinK

Wow. I'm impressed. You've gotten quite a bit of work done! Congratulations sir, I will be trying your alpha out.

4. Kelde

Kelde

love it, looks like Dont Starve has a 3d brother,and that makes me feel excited. also wondering the above.

5. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Very impressive and your theming sounds a lot more interesting than the usual rpg.

6. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Thanks for the comments,

To answer your questions,

- when I first started development on this game it was going to be heavily survival oriented, I had an elaborate crafting system in place, having to get food, fire etc. but as the kind of "core" gameplay and feel that I wanted became apparent to me, this idea of survival became less and less necessary and even became more of a distraction. So Survival is more or less out, the only threat to the players life is enemies.

- with regards to crafting, like I mentioned above I had an elaborate crafting system, which I eventually removed, then I put it back, and most recently removed it again... to be honest there will most likely be some sort of crafting system to enhance loot, but chances are there wont be anything where you craft structures or gather alot of resources etc. The crafting will be rather simplistic.

- Yes there are definitely larger maps, the map in the video is the "starting" map, don't want to show off too much yet :)

- And the building thing goes somewhat hand and hand with the points above, it was originally going to be in there, but ultimately doesn't serve the right purpose for this game, so most likely there will be no building/crafting a la minecraft or don't starve

The best way I know how to descibe the game right now without giving too much away, is its not really like an open world exploration like minecraft / dont starve. There are very concrete goals, and there is a definite story, however, the story and goals are not revealed to the player through traditional RPG NPC's / cutscenes / forcing player to do stuff. The story and goals of the game is actually revealed through open exploration and experimentation in a mysterious world... I know that's probably super vague but it's the best I got for now ;)

7. GeneBox

GeneBox

I have to agree with others, very impressive. Sounds like something I'd like to try out. Going to keep an eye on this.

8. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

Looks nice... we would like to play too :)

9. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Thanks for the comments!

Here a couple screen shots of some of the newly created enemies

Hornet:

$Gabe_InExilium_Hornet.jpg

Slime:

$Gabe_InExilium_Slime.jpg

Dummy:

$Gabe_InExilium_WoodenDummy.jpg

10. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

11. DaneC020

DaneC020

Looking really good man, keep up the great work. I have been following this for awhile and it is nice to see it getting to the gameplay!

-Dane

12. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Here I show off some of the skills, and show a boss fight. I also explain a little about the next steps in the project. Enjoy

13. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    Very nice effects ;)

A few technical stuff at them. The problem is, that the trails, effects, etc. disappear instantly when the projectile hits something. It is especially noticeable on the triple fireball. You can solve this by detaching the effects from the projectile when the projectile dies, setting their emission to 0, and destroying them a second later or so.

Another thing is that the effects (most noticeable on the Electric bolt) take a little while to "build up" before they look like intended. You can offset this by setting the particles in the effect to "prewarm" (near the top), so when the particle system appears, it will look like it has been running for some time.

About the hornet enemy, who made it? It looks awesome and detailed and super cool in general. Is there any chance we can see it in motion?

cheers
    Kalamona

14. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Hey kalamona,

Thanks, I agree with your first point about the effects. It's not super high priority but will look into it.

For the hornet, the artist has put a couple things on the asset store under the name 'Cremuss'. Check it out, very high quality stuff.

15. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Just put the In Exilium Alpha Demo up for download. go to http://www.confluxgames.com to try it out!

Latest progress video here shows how to get it and shows latest changes

16. jeko_composer

jeko_composer

Amazing, i'm really happy to work on this project, good stuff!!

17. kalamona

kalamona

I tried the game, and it seems to be solid and polished. My only problem is that there is not enough content, but I know it is version 0.01 :)

18. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

@jeko_composer :) you are the man

@kalamona Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the demo. And yes very early in development. Much much more content to come, however if you want to spend a little more time with it, create a new character and try to beat all the forest mini-bosses before you character gets to level 50. Not easy :)

19. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Here I show off some of the new features, and show a little of a new section of the game "The Desert"

20. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

New enemy 'Statue Warrior'

$InExilium_StatueWarrior_TextureRC1.jpg

21. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Check out the new updates, I discuss the crafting system in the game, new Accessory Items and fast travel capabilities

22. Sooshi

Sooshi

very cool this game looks great, love the crafting system your implementing

23. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Thanks! Yah was definitely trying to go for a more simple style of crafting while still keeping it useful. For larger games it can make sense to have really complicated crafting systems but for this game I think it suits it well that it is rather simplistic.

24. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Development Progress #12!

I show off the beginnings of the Intro Sequence, Dragons, and some new skills

25. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Progress Video #13

Here I show off the full intro scene, still a couple tweeks needed and I'm thinking of getting a voice actor. But for the most part its finished

26. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Progress Video #14

Here I show off some of the Tweaks, Balances and effects 've added as well as discuss plans over Christmas holiday and plans for another Demo Release

27. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Here I show off some Production Value effects I added as well as show off a little of the Spelunky-style random generated world end game!

28. AlwaysBeCoding247

AlwaysBeCoding247

Looking great man, keep up the good work

29. Akira_san

Akira_san

It does looks like Diablo. Can you tell about the camera properties?

30. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Announcement Trailer:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  31. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

Looks really awesome, as a huge fan of diablo, i would definately play this!

32. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Thank you :) I should be having some sort of closed beta in the near future so stay tuned if you are interested in getting your hands on an early copy!

33. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

34. jeko_composer

jeko_composer

Good work!!

compliments!! ;)

35. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Development Progress #16 [Puzzle Design] Here I discuss some of the new puzzle design and how it evolved over time

36. Archania

Archania

Looking really good. Impressive work.

37. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Here are the latest production value changes!

38. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

New Gameplay Trailer! Let me know what you think

39. zenGarden

zenGarden

I like it a lot :)
    The levels reminds me the golden age of RPG like Baldur's gate.

Keep the good work.

40. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Thank you! Boulders Gate was definitely a strong influence :D

41. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

New development progress! Multiplayer is working!

42. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

In Exilium is entering Beta on Desura, this video shows how to request access!

43. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames

Hi Unity Community!

After just over two and a half years of development, I am very happy to announce that In Exilium will be releasing on Desura and through the game's website (www.exiliumgame.com) on August 25th, 2014! I am hoping to release on other platforms (Indie Game Stand, GOG, Humble Store etc. etc. ) in the near future as well!

Additionally, I am still trying to fight my way through Steam Greenlight, so please head over and give it a vote! Steamcommunity.com

A big thank you to everyone who has supported this project throughout it's development!

Enjoy the release trailer and hope to see you guys in the game on August 25th!

Check Conflux Games out on twitter and Facebook!
    Twitter
    Facebook

44. AthosK

AthosK

Sweet looking game, looking forward playing it!

45. ConfluxGames

ConfluxGames