Search Unity

Mobile game deployment with Unity is now free!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Majestic, May 21, 2013.

1. Majestic

Majestic

2. VIC20

VIC20

Nice, as long as this does not affect the discount of Unity iOS basic users when buying Unity iOS Pro…

3. virror

virror

Saw that as well, thats really huge news!
    Considering Unity already have a pretty big share of the mobile games marked already it is kind of unexpected i think, but i guess they will grab an even larger share now.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Every freaking time!

5. Maxie

Maxie

What the! I don't even know how to respond this is awesome!

6. nipoco

nipoco

Eat that Havok Anarchy!

7. Ullukai

Ullukai

That's awesome !

Now all I need is a mobile device. Where do you get one of those for free ?

8. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

What discount? When I brought UnityPro there was no discount for Unity iOS.

I think that is quite disgusting when I hear about discounts for Unity iOS when I emailed UnityTech sales for volume discounts on multiple Pro license purchases and their response is 'no discounts.'

9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

S***load of S***ty games! Coming soon to app store near you!

10. Ullukai

Ullukai

the facebook link says it is now free and details coming soon... https://www.facebook.com/unity3d?hc_location=stream

just clicky the link and it says so !

Now if I could just get pro for free :)

this happened within an hour so I guess this will be in the announcements section ?

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. Kelde

Kelde

lol....THIS!!!!!!

now everyone will do this, awesome.

12. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

This is huge news for me! Thank you Unity!

13. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Siiiick. Unity Team continues to be awesome, as usual :D

14. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Hard Shadows with free in 4.2 as well. :)

15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What a load of S***, seriously I purchased Unity 3.X Android basic... 6 months later they gave it away for free, now I purchase Unity 4.X IOS and Android basic and maybe a year of something later it is free?!?! Such a load of S*** that is lots of money that is basicly just thrown down the drain considering I haven't released anything recently.

I never see Unity pro on sale or them giving it to people who bought basic licenses.

16. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Well there is your problem. You purchased something you never used.Can't complain about that.

17. VIC20

VIC20

As "Unity iOS Basic" owner you've got a discount on "Unity iOS Pro" not on "Unity Pro" - at least the online store always displayed that when I've entered my license number.

18. Majestic

Majestic

Calm down :D https://twitter.com/aras_p/status/336769048551510016

19. VIC20

VIC20

Really? Link?

20. ZMastah

ZMastah

This is so awesome! ^^

21. virror

virror

Facebook comment:
    "Aras Pranckevičius @Marcin: incidentally, hard shadows from directional lights will become free in Unity 4.2 as well."

22. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We will have more info and details on this soon, including stuff that will hopefully make TylerPerry and others who have already purchased happy.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

awesome! unity strikes once again.. when the competition starts to think they are out of danger, unity pulls them back in

24. Defero

Defero

I'm cautiously optimistic jumping up and down.

25. Aurore

Aurore

Once the website downtime is up, you will be able to update your 3.x and/or 4.x license to have the build options available.

If you already bought iOS or Android Basic 4.x, you can use that $400 as a discount towards a Pro add-on as usual. If you bought it within the last 30 days, we will also contact you in the next two weeks with details of additional offers.

To update your license and receive the build options once the store is live again;

PC: Help > Manage License > Check for Updates

Mac: Unity Menu > Manage License > Check for Updates.

26. jamieo01

jamieo01

Oh no, here he goes again.

27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Wow, this is pretty fantastic.

28. arkon

arkon

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Just going to make it harder for those of us that actually pay for the product. I knew I should have pirated it!

29. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

No link, but let's just say that is happening - hard shadows from directional lights are free in 4.2. [citation needed] ;)

30. BTStone

BTStone

Hm, this is very interesting. So we picked up the iOS/Android-Licences last year (3.5.X Version) and started working on our game 2 months ago. We're still at the beginning of the Game and there were two reasons we didn't switch to Unity 4:

1. The iOS/Android-Basic Licence: didn't want to spend another 800$ for those two...
    2. The updated Engine-Version: as good as it is, with every big Update there are some "problems" which come along, especially with some Plugins, and we didn't want to encounter weird problems just of the new Version.

But now "Argument 1" is not a problem any more, I guess, so I would like to hear from some of you guys:
    Under these circumstances, would you suggest switching from 3.5.7 to the latest Unity 4 Version? As said, now would be a good time, since we are at the beginning of the Project, if we've had been in the middle or the end of the production cycle, we wouldn't even think about it...

31. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

nice !!im waiting

32. arkon

arkon

Dont forget the restrictive EULA in 4+, It's the only reason I'm not upgrading, I don't want to lose the right to produce gambling games.

33. DavidByers

DavidByers

I bought my iOS and Android licenses on April 17th, is their anything you'll be able to do for me, as I think thats just outside of the 30 day window?

34. GiusCo

GiusCo

Amazing! Corona sdk also went free last month. From my perspective (hobbyist and freelancer), this move from Unity 3D just shows that the mobile market is now worthless at Western World rates. Therefore, I'm jumping out of this ship and going back to hard science, C++ and corporate C# with Visual Studio. Goodbye and many thanks for the great time, UT (4 years!).

35. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Wow, Unity Technologies never ceases to amaze me, this is really great news for those who couldn't afford to get into mobile development due to the (already modest) basic ad-on cost.

However for me far more interesting is the reference in this Gamasutra report that this will also apply to the basic add-ons for both Blackberry and Windows Phone 8 when they are released!

36. sama-van

sama-van

Same, I am an indy and recently updated to 4 + ios pro.
    Mainly working for clients with and they use to not finance this kind of stuff.
    Then it is a lot of money for solo guys/

37. SteveJ

SteveJ

I also wondered if that contributed to the decision at all.

Regardless of the reason, it's awesome stuff. Go Unity :)

38. LaneFox

LaneFox

Umm, dang, I'm actually surprised. All the yammering on everybody does about wanting shadows in free and UT pulls up and does something about it?

..Okay then! Granted, I hate directional lights, but its cool nonetheless.

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Can someone from Unity tell us if this will include Windows Phone 8 or Blackberry licenses being free. And if Windows 8 license is free. As in are Unity Basic Licenses just eradicated?

If not that please for the love of god give us that for free instead, really to use the discount it is still $2200 and who has that kind of money?

Or will the $400 off now continue through every version of Unity? otherwise it is worthless.

40. Aurore

Aurore

Yes, this will include Blackberry and Windows store apps.

41. sama-van

sama-van

It seems pro licenses keep the same price :

- https://store.unity3d.com/

Then finally it doesn't change anything since I already have 4 pro + ios pro.

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Will the $400 continue into Unity 5.X?

If you have Unity basic licenses the equivalent pro license costs $1100.

43. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Any (eventual) reduction in pricing for iOS and Android Pro licenses? What about those who brought the iOS and Android Pro licenses?

44. Metron

Metron

When taking a look at my licences and I select "Upgrade", the normal IOS and Android still show up with $400 (to upgrade from basic 3.x to 4.x). I suppose they will check that, too.

45. drewradley

drewradley

Well that is $125 I could have spent on assets. :p

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

And now whenever anyone sees the Unity splash screen on mobile, they'll think those of us who couldn't afford Pro on all platforms got it for free and their reviews may reflect this. Fabulous.

47. BTStone

BTStone

Maybe, but do you really think the most of the people who are playing some little games on their iPhones/iPads and Android-Devices know that Unity offers free mobile licences, hell, I don't even think the people know what Unity is or if it even exists. I wouldn't go crazy about this fact.

48. Kelde

Kelde

other developers does, thats annoying enough if u ask me.

dont think players give a damn, they dont know what it is, if its the engine, a sponsor or a publisher, they just want something to waste time while on the bus.

49. derkoi

derkoi

Hmmm, i wonder if us Pro users are going to get some treats? Free Unity playstation licences for Pro users would be awesome ;) ;)

50. trooper

trooper

We have players thinking Chillingo is the developer of our game. Some people probably think Unity makes a crap load of games as it is :)