Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts

Gamelix Advanced Mechanics Online (GAMO)

For many years first-layer game engines have dealt with communication. These have managed input and output, presenting a world for the player to enter commands. The next step to reach richer narratives is the second-layer game engine, a system that provides options to the player. Sets of options and consequences are controlled by the game mechanics, and researchers have recently given us a mechanics modeling language. Today we are proud to present you Gamelix Advanced Mechanics Online (GAMO), a second-layer engine that reorients development toward interactive narrative and increases the replay value of games.

There are many mechanics that are common among different game genres and work basically the same. When developers start a new project they usually re-create these functionalities, investing a huge effort into polishing them in order to provide the best gameplay experience. All this inversion could be better focused on the creative aspects of game development, such as world building, story, artificial intelligence and many others. GAMO releases the game developer from the mechanic tasks, by providing a robust foundation of customizable mechanics right on top of the first-layer game engine.

Planned features:

✧ Wizard editor extension, to create games without programming.
    ✧ Game performance analyzer.
    ✧ Language translations.
    ✧ Full control configuration.
    ✧ Character customizer.
    ✧ Free-running, riding and driving, with multiple views.
    ✧ Inventory system.
    ✧ Mission and achievement system.
    ✧ Dialog system.
    ✧ Combat technique designer.
    ✧ Level and skill tree system.
    ✧ Lockpicking mechanics.
    ✧ Mining, harvesting and production mechanics.
    ✧ Crafting and building mechanics.
    ✧ Hunting mechanics.
    ✧ Trading system.
    ✧ Map and dairy with management mechanics.
    ✧ Economy system with auto-balanced degradation dynamics.
    ✧ Government system.
    ✧ Fully scalable networking.
    ✧ Private persistent worlds for deep interaction.
    ✧ Socialization with local and global messaging.
    ✧ Monetization.

GAMO will be free for testing, rapid prototyping, looking for investors/crowdfunding, etc. Publishing games with GAMO will cost 30% net profit share.

Latest version: GAMO 0.4.22b (jan 17, 2014)
    Last edited by marcoantap; 02-19-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: BETA 4
    Unity3D, HTML5, Flash, PHP, Java, Objective C, DX/OGL and more...
    Improving modern game mechanics
    Open source

2. Posts
    I am so interested in getting this. I am now eagerly waiting for July 15th!

3. Posts
    Sounds really nice! When you say online, do you mean its for people who want to make Online Games? If so, can we use it for a Offline game?

4. Posts
    Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your interest. Yes, the "online" is just to affirm that it will have networking capabilities. The beta will be offline, and you can create offline games. The online side will allow not only multiplayer, but also several other services like monetization. The networking system will be ready sometime this year, and services should be ready early next year. The server is being built in PHP and Java, so you can execute it from different network solutions.
    Open source

5. Posts
    Oh okay, so can I use the offline beta to begin creating my game now and when the networking system is ready, publish it online? Also, what kind of services will be ready next year? Thanks so much!

6. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by db731 View Post
    so can I use the offline beta to begin creating my game now and when the networking system is ready, publish it online?
    Yes, exactly!

what kind of services will be ready next year?
    This is what is planned at the moment:

✧ Fully scalable networking.
    ✧ Private persistent worlds for deep interaction.
    ✧ Socialization with local and global messaging.
    ✧ Monetization.

Before starting this project I finished the server with socialization features, that took me around 2 years to research and develop. I'll adapt and connect this platform to the mechanics engine. Together will form the foundation for a system that will keep growing in the following years. Hopefully many creative developers will benefit from it
    Open source

7. Posts
    Thats wonderful, I am so excited to start using this! Maybe now I can start thinking about more of the creative aspects of my game rather than all of the mechanics. Will I be able to make my combat as a first person shooter? Thank you for working on this, it will be such a big help!

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoantap View Post
    The server is being built in PHP and Java, so you can execute it from different network solutions.
    So your not planning on making this handle very many clients then? Java is a horrible solution for online games. IMO anyway
    Webhosting as low as $4.38/month.
    http://hostdaemon.com/ Let your Daemon Out!

9. Posts
    Will I be able to make my combat as a first person shooter?
    Yes, the views currently implemented are first person, third person and top. The player can switch between them, but you will be able to disable the views that don't match your game style. The exploration mechanic includes control configuration, avoiding to look thru walls, and locomotion-view simulation, aka. camera swinging. Later on I'll add the weapon system.
    Open source

10. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicToMeyeZR View Post
    So your not planning on making this handle very many clients then? Java is a horrible solution for online games. IMO anyway
    These languages were chosen to ease the life of developers so they can use the networking solution that matches their budget, starting from indie developers. Once I finish the connection with the online platform, I'll stress test the system. It's not a problem to translate the server into another language if required.
    Open source

11. Posts
    Sounds interesting, I will keep this one in mind when it has progressed more

12. Posts
    Thats wonderful to hear. Will it be easy to implement vehicles using your software?

13. Posts
    Thats wonderful to hear. Will it be easy to implement vehicles using your software?
    Driving and riding mechanics will be added in the future. And yes, the idea is having a simple workflow to configure the vehicles.
    Open source

14. Posts
    Okay that sounds great, thank you for your quick replies.

15. Posts
    I have my own little customization spore-like engine thing going on here, will GAMO be compatible with all other scripts? Also mods? My mod compatibility is high right now and I don't want GAMO ruining that, because I've even developed a modification tool to unpack and deobfuscate the obfuscated code then edit (Drag N' Drop modding system!), and even a mod injector if players need a mod injected into the process, while detecting and disallowing hacks.
    Last edited by xander999; 07-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.

16. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xander999 View Post
    will GAMO be compatible with all other scripts? Also mods?
    Your system sounds pretty amazing. One of the reasons to release GAMO at its current state, not perfect yet, is to obtain feedback from creative developers. Then you could try the beta, and let me know if you need a modification here and there that would make your system compatible. We could find a midpoint that allows both systems to work together, and also allow others to integrate theirs. Might take some time, but it's possible.
    Open source

17. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoantap View Post
    These languages were chosen to ease the life of developers so they can use the networking solution that matches their budget, starting from indie developers. Once I finish the connection with the online platform, I'll stress test the system. It's not a problem to translate the server into another language if required.
    Sounds like a great plan then. I will definitely be watching this project... Best of luck.
    Webhosting as low as $4.38/month.
    http://hostdaemon.com/ Let your Daemon Out!

18. Posts

First beta version

As promised, after 1 year of dedicated work, here is the first beta version of the second-layer game engine:

http://gamelix.com/mechanics/GAMO_0_1_18b.zip (6.7 MB)

In order to answer some of your future questions: ¿How do you use it? This is a Unity 4.1.4 project, just decompress it and open the project folder with the latest version of Unity. The options of GAMO will show up in Unity's menu, and you can open the editor from here. ¿How do you play it? The main demonstration scene is located at Assets/Scenes/Game, open it and push the play button. ¿Why does it look so ugly? This is the first beta version and the demo scene is work in progress. ¿Can I start building my own games with it? Yes, because the code foundations are pretty stable. But there's no documentation yet and some mechanics are disabled.

The next steps of this development are completing the demo scene and re-enabling the mechanics. Then the integration of Machinations, a mechanics modeling language, will begin and further planned mechanics will be implemented. After that, the server side and online services will be connected. New beta versions will be released when important advances of the system are achieved.
    Last edited by marcoantap; 07-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Open source

19. Posts
    wow great work! I just downloaded it and so far it's looking really good! So can I start building my own game using the demo as a starting point? Thanks so much!

20. Posts
    Yes you can... sorry for not having documentation yet.
    Open source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast