Search Unity

Non-PIE Binary apple send this email to me

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by ken090505, May 9, 2013.

1. ken090505

ken090505

Yesterday i upload my application update to apple for review.

But apple send the update for my application to me, it say

Non-PIE Binary - The executable "My APP NAME" is not a Position Independent Executable. Please ensure that your build settings are configured to create PIE executables.

i already tried to use both option "Yes/No" and re-submit to apple for review.
    but it keep send Non-PIE Binary update email to me

is my xcode setting or my unity project problems?

thanks

2. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

This reply is just a warning, you do NOT need to resubmit your application.

P.S. we are looking for solution.

3. capyvara

capyvara

Same thing happened to me, saw a post at Xamarim related to the same stuff, so it may be something in mono Apple wasn't checking before.

4. NeedNap

NeedNap

I have the same problem!

Are you sure that the Apple Review Team will not reject the app?
    I need to put the app online as soon as possible!

5. NeedNap

NeedNap

I confirm that Apple Review Team approved my app also with this warning message!

6. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

I am guessing that even if you have the right build settings, that if a plugin lib was built without the PIE settings, there is no way you can fix it. ...apart from removing plugins or asking all the plugin manufacturers to make sure they are PIE compliant.
    It could also depend on the target you are building to.... probably 5.0 or newer results in this error... it might not if you build to old OS target, but thats just a guess.

7. VicM

VicM

I also confirm that today my app (update) has been approved even when I received the message.
    Non-PIE Binary - The executable 'KeplerAR.app' is not a Position Independent Executable. Please ensure that your build settings are configured to create PIE executables.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. OceanBlue

OceanBlue

It'd be nice if someone were able to figure out what this Non-PIE binary thing is and how to fix it.

9. arkon

arkon

I too just got the same warning, I'm using 3.5.7 which worked fine 4 weeks ago. Must be something new Apple are now detecting. Mantas when you find the problem will you be fixing it for us using 3.5.7?

10. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

I am on 4, still gets the warning even with the correct build settings, so might be the plugins/libs built before the new Apple rule.
    I just submitted my app a couple of days ago, so waiting to see if it passes or gets rejected.... will update here when I find out

11. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I haven't tried that yet but here it some piece of info that might help =>"Xcode will only make PIE binaries if deployment target is iOS >= 4.3"

So I think if you enable PIE binary setting in xcode project AND make sure target is 4.3 it might work...

If you can try that before I do, please post the result back here ...

12. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

yep, my build targets were always 4.3 before this. for my latest build submission its built to 5.0. But still got the same apple warning

13. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

confirmed what Mantas and NeedCap said. My app just got approved by apple, regardless of the warning.

14. Majicpanda

Majicpanda

There any update to this?

15. monkeyThunk

monkeyThunk

I got the same warning email today as well. Sounds like I don't need to worry about it, but it would feel better to get no warnings after submitting!

16. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Update: fix is on its way towards testers

17. tonio96

tonio96

Thanks Mantas. I work on unity 3.5.7 version. Could you tell us on which version this fix will be applied ? Will it be applied only on unity4 ?

18. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Unity 3.5 is not affected by this issue.

19. Bogdan

Bogdan

Hi,

My application has the same problem, but it got approved by Apple. The problem seems to be caused by Unity (4.1.5). If inside your Asset folder you have a "Plugins" folder the dll file auto-generated by Unity (Assembly-CSharp.dll) it cannot be configured to Non-PIE Binary. (you can experiment that by just creating an empty project with a "Plugins" folder inside "Assets").

20. radazen

radazen

In what way is Unity 3.5 "not affected" by the issue? I'm using Unity 3.5.7 and received the same warning email, as have several other Unity 3.5 users in this thread.

21. andymads

andymads

Yeah, we use 3.5.7 and have had this warning email a couple of times now.

22. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hmm.. I can't reproduce it locally with project made with Unity 3.5.7. Could you please submit a bug report with your Xcode project attached to it and ping me via PM with your case number.
    Thanks!

23. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We got one case with 3.5.7 project, but it had Deployment Target set to iOS 4.0, which was the actual reason why non-PIE binary was produced. Changing it to iOS 4.3 fixed the problem. If anybody still gets non-PIE submission warning with 3.5.7, using latest stable Xcode and Deployment Target set to >= 4.3 please ping me with repro case.
    Thanks!

24. arkon

arkon

Well that explains why I get them then as I always target 4.2 IOS.

25. Maybe_memory

Maybe_memory

We got the same case. We use unity 4.0.
    Did this warning cause by unity? Did this problem fix in the newest version?

26. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Fix is coming with Unity 4.2.

27. triton60

triton60

I am seeing the error in Unity 4.3.

Is there an eta for this being fixed?

Thanks,

Andrew.

28. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

It was fixed for 4.2, but accidentally came back with 4.3. It is scheduled to be fixed again with 4.3.1.

29. triton60

triton60

Thanks Mantas,

Andrew.