Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particles receiving shadows?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by powdered_swords, May 5, 2013.

1. powdered_swords

powdered_swords

Does anyone know if it's possible for vertex lit particles to be affected by shadows generated by geometry? I made a small demo testing the functionality of vertex lit particles

Unfortunately while I could get the particles to project shadows onto the two surfaces the opposite was not true.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Vertex lighting does not support receiving shadows; you need per-pixel lighting for that.

3. Farfarer

Farfarer

4. powdered_swords

powdered_swords

5. Farfarer

Farfarer

It's a bit flakey (which is why it's a secret, rather than public gist). But it should help.

6. reecpj

reecpj

This looks really interesting Farfarer (sorry it's been so long since you posted) but how could I get it working with multi_compile_fwdadd_fullshadows in the ForwardAdd pass for spotlight shadows?
    It says: "Custom/Lit Particle Additive': Program 'vert', unable to find compatible overloaded function "mul(float4x4[4], float4)" at line 116"
    but still renders ok. That line is TRANSFER_VERTEX_TO_FRAGMENT_PARTICLE(o); which expands to
    #define TRANSFER_VERTEX_TO_FRAGMENT_PARTICLE(a) a._LightCoord = mul(_LightMatrix0, posW); TRANSFER_SHADOW_PARTICLE(a)

Currently the particles seem to be evaluating the shadow map in camera space or something - I have to zoom out and rotate around for any light to show up - certainly they don't respond as if they are in world space. I'd really appreciate some help, you've done a lot for my shader education already!

7. reecpj

reecpj

Never mind, I got it working (using my own shadow maps rather than Unity's) - I didn't realise the shuriken particles were in camera space, so you can multiply them by the camera to world matrix to get them in world space. Thanks!