Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Online Animal Crossing / Harvest Moon style game!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ExDeaDguY, May 2, 2013.

1. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Game title confirmed: A Simple Life (Players can abbreviate it to "ASL" ;) )

(5/1/2013)
    Update #1:

Hey guys! I've re-made this type of game over and over and could never get it right.. But this time is different! I have a lot more experience now and am ready to make the next big facebook game! (Farmville watch out!)

This game is inspired by Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Farmville and other games like it. Everything you can imagine will be added and put into updates!

Day cycle, Using tools, Farming, Fishing, Full customization, Designing clothes, Building houses, and whatever you can imagine that will make this fun! This game will run on a real time life schedule for day cycles and each player will have their own land to build a house and other structures on. They will be able to leave their land and go into a town that will be a public area to shop that all players will be clustered in! (Over several instances). Then you can even go to your friends homes and visit or even help farm / take care of their animals!

Let me know of any ideas anyone might have or any suggestions!

Update #2 (5/14/2013):

Update #3 (5/22/2013):

Update #4 (5/29/2013):
    [video=youtube_share;8gMjfNvD7yI]http://youtu.be/8gMjfNvD7yI

Login System (Linked to DB), Character Creation:

Update #5 (1/26/2014)

Screenshot (06/01/2014)
    $screen2.png

-Eddy

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. TheSin

TheSin

Hey, this looks really interesting project.

3. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Thnx. ^_^. I'll have another update very soon! Just finished adding the Inventory.

4. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

[video=youtube_share;kIVLymfBo7c]http://youtu.be/kIVLymfBo7c
    Here's another update guys! Things are going great! Making a lot of progress while only having little time to work on it! Players now have an inventory and can.. pick up items and place items.. Kick beach balls!! :p. Day and night passes in real time. Uses pc clock for now but will convert over to internet time for anti cheating ^_^..

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. Justei

Justei

Looking good enough, what type of networking are you using?
    Will this be room-based? Or is this supposed to basically work on a global scale, where everyone can see everyone, etc?

Regarding the whole "anti-cheating" part, you gotta keep in mind that since you are doing this browser-based. NOTHING can be hosted, or decided on the client, literally everything can be altered using memory editing etc. So keep that in mind.

Of course you should still use client side prediction, and rather have checks once in a while than actually deciding every single thing, but in some cases, lets say you want to buy something with your "golden coins" you need to calculate that server side, and every time you move a player and update the network, you would need to check the distance and speed, to make sure the player isn't speed-hacking or teleport-hacking by changing his coordinates.

Also make sure that you are careful, people do all kinds of things like sending packets, modifying memory values (this is most likely for your game), etc.

And why I am even mentioning this to you, is because if you don't implement the whole structure and idea from the beginning, it's going to be a real pain to do later.

I made a meme to illustrate this (just because I happened to write the exact sentence, and it's just more fun to use a meme :D).

$37808462.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

>.<, I'm using Photon Networking. Yep it will be room based. Will have each players home as his own room and then a town area as another room spread over multiple instances. At the moment I'm having calculations done on the Master Client. So whoever is hosting the room. Generally.. Players will host their own home and a town will be started and hosted by whoever is the first in the instance. Towns will have minimal networking though only movement and buying but buying will hit my DB and do calculations and additions on there. I also have a few other anti cheating methods in place as well :p. I'm sure some will get by the security but if this ever got big enough, I would hire GMs to observe gameplay and have fall back functions to check any variables being edited that shouldn't be. I think I'll be alright ;). Farming is what I'm adding next and the fishing. W00t W00t!

7. Cartographer

Cartographer

Looking awesome! Made me go play Harvest Moon 64 again :)
    Going to keep an eye on this.

8. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Thanks! ;). Will upload another video in a day or 2 with much more stuff and will have clothing items you can pick up and wear!

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions just let me know! I want fans of HM and AC to enjoy this and have some fun times! I'm also stuck without a game name at the moment! :(

9. Justei

Justei

I suggest you use Photon Server instead of Photon Cloud, that way you can run server side logic in the rooms, eliminating the risk of having master clients actually submitting/saving data, otherwise you run the risk of people having rooms that essentially make everyone that enters rich, or w/e. :)

10. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Yeah, true true. That's a good idea. I think I'll switch over soon. I'm just not to familiar with the server itself and I don't have a dedicated spot to run it on once I enter a testing phase. I'm gonna read on how the server works and uses server side logic/code. I know it will make my life 1000x easier in the future!

11. Justei

Justei

I run a server while developing on my pc, and let my co-workers connect to it.
    When you begin it makes no difference to be honest, if you use the LoadBalancing project that they give you, all you need to do is open ports, and put in your IP in the unity configs and it runs exactly like the cloud.

12. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

UPDATE # 3:
    [video=youtube_share;uzDxFu8Z7bg]http://youtu.be/uzDxFu8Z7bg
    HD Available

In this video I have the inventory functionality a bit better and clothes are now finally in and synced and all that good stuff :)

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  13. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Im also looking for suggestions for a name for this! Any ideas lemme know :). Wouldn't it be awesome if I use a name that you choose and when this goes huge everyone will be playing something you named ;). lol.

14. landon912

landon912

Sorry, but is the API the same for both the cloud and server? I currently use the cloud and don't want to have to redo code.

15. Justei

Justei

Yeah, you should be able to just start up the load balancing project on your PC using the Photon Server :).
    So basically you run the same software that they do on their servers, and all you do is open the ports and change the IP in the configs for photon in Unity.

That's what I did and switching from the Cloud to my PC went without changing a single line of code. That way you can also add logic to your rooms.

16. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Update #4

Here's another update!!
    Fooling around with some friends! What's new in this update:
    -Tools!
    -Tool Actions
    -Houses (Roof Disappears upon entering)
    -BOOMBOX! Place it and set music up for guests to hear! :)

Leave some feedback if you'd like! Suggestions are great and gives me motivation! I still need a game name as well :wink:

17. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Just a quick update, I don't have any images or videos to show at the moment as most of the work lately has been code for networking however.. I'm thinking about game titles and "My Legend" is sounding good. I was going to use this title for a past project but that project died shortly after it had begun. Let me know what you guys think.

Networking:
    Login system is finally complete and verifies players accounts from a database. So now there is a login screen that connects to the server and then allows you to login with a created account. After logging in it will bring you to a character creation screen (which is still being worked on) in a couple days I will have some image updates of character creation. :D.

Updates haven't been appearing lately as I have been swamped at my job that makes me real $$ :(. But! This is still the only project that I am working on in my free time, so progress will continue on this. :cool:

Thanks for reading!
    -Eddy

18. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

This actual looks really impressive, ive never played any of those games youve mentioned before but it does look like it would be fun, keep at it bro could get big you never know :)

19. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey Guys. Sorry I haven't posted lately. Been super busy! However... I have been making a little progress. Here's the latest update:

(GIF File, If it doesnt play you can view it by itself at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6629353/MLCC.gif )

This is the login system that is linked to a personal DB, also connected to an mmo networking solution and Character Creation. Its very rough at the moment but its better then nothing :D.

Lemme know what ya think!

-Eddy

20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Maybe it can be awesome to do an editor for make your own designs for the clothes etc... , actually this is easy, you only need to use the SetPixels function with a raycast; since it's online it can give it a unique feel.
    I like the customization in general but some faces are strange haha, maybe it's me :)

Good luck ^^!

21. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey guys!! I have another update for ya.

This update shows: Logging in, Character Creation, Loading Character on remote and local players. Saving character, loading back up upon log in :).

Hair colors were out of order in a table so don't mind the long hair switching from brown to blonde :p.

Feedback in always welcome, Lemme know what ya think. Thanks for viewing.
    -Eddy

22. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello!
    Just posting some updates to let everyone know this isn't dead :D

$screen1.png

$screen2.png

$Crafting.png

What's new.....
    Some more networked stuff
    world now generates environment objects upon creating the world (Randomly placed server side)
    new animations
    trees - tress being chopped

CRAFTING IDEA:
    Yesh, I know this look familiar to many.. However.. I rather like this idea of crafting, and with a little tweaking I believe it will fit in perfectly :).

Feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks!!

23. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

More updates and stuff:

Enjoy :).
    Merry Christmas!

24. strangebrewstudios

strangebrewstudios

is this still alive if how do i get that type of top down camera