Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

International (Italian) keyboard input bug?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by doougle, May 1, 2013.

1. doougle

doougle

Hi everyone,

It seems like key codes don't work properly on Italian keyboards.

I use Windows on an American MacBook Pro. When I build to OSX and send to my Italian colleague, some keys won't work on his MBP. For example, the line:

Code (csharp):
    1. Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.W)
    ... pressing 'w' doesn't actually trigger it. Actually, pressing 'z' triggers that line! The key codes seem to be mixed up.

Other letter keys work fine, but not all of them. SHIFT and CONTROL work fine, but not the numbers, comma, period, etc.

The same exact build works fine on my American MBP, and also on a German MBP. Didn't seem to help when we changed the Italian MBP keyboard bindings country in System Preferences.

Bottom line is, it seems like Unity fails to correctly "translate" key codes to an Italian keyboard.

As far as I can tell, others have faced this issue for years (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/14348-leopard-amp-keyboard), but doesn't seem like this issue has ever been solved...? Am I missing something? I'm pretty shocked, since 'W' in particular seems like a pretty major key given standard WASD controls.

Any tips on how to build a Unity program that works on both Mac and PC, on any arbitrary country keyboard?

Someone else suggested using an external DLL, but that sounds like a nightmare (also getting it to work multi-platform).

- Doug -

2. Mello42

Mello42

Just confirming the bug, it also affects M and N keys.

3. Saturnix

Saturnix

I've already posted this 2 times but got zero replies in both cases. I guess this problems only affects italian users.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/180216-Unity-inverting-W-and-Z-keyboard

W and Z are inverted, both in the Unity editor and in Unity games (for example, in Slenderman). This is really frustrating: changing the buttons in the prefs makes no difference because sometimes, for no reason, W and Z are back to normal.

Please solve this bug!

Thanks!

4. doougle

doougle

Just to be extra clear, this concerns more than just W, M, and Z - as far as I can tell, it also affects all the numbers, comma, period, and more.

5. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

If you have a bug ... make a Bugreport!
    If you what the unity devs to see the problem, make a bug report form the editor and write down whats wrong.

6. toto2003

toto2003

i confirm the bug, it miss the m and w on the ios keyboard when i call
    iPhoneKeyboard.Open("", iPhoneKeyboardType.Default, false, false, true, true);

that s really a big issue as i use it for the player to put their name

toto